Could/would/should JJAW play TE?

Portyansky

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Getting wins? Or winning the SB? Because there's a difference. 

Really?

The Eagles won the Super Bowl with the backup QB.  The Eagles got rid of the Super Bowl winning QB and kept the QB who got a lot of regular season wins.

Sure there is a difference.  Can anyone really type out in great detail exactly what the difference is?

You need to get into the playoffs to possibly win the Super Bowl and you need to win every game in the playoffs to win the Super Bowl. 

What do Eagles fans know from experience?   Backup QBs win the Super Bowl.  Starting QBs never win the Super Bowl.   That's the Experience of the Eagles in the Super Bowl era.

It's one thing that we all know is true.  So how do you factor that one true fact into your calculation?   I'd argue that the playoffs contain quite a big of "Any Given Sunday" and it's really too difficult to calculate beyond that.

Been watching the Ravens,  and with the Ravens,  you ask,  in the offseason,  what was needed to win the only game that was lost and prevented the team from moving forward in the playoffs.  In the case of the Ravens,  it was 1)  need additional Big Red Zone Threat - because Lamar threw a pass in the end zone to the Ravens good red zone threat, Mark Andrews,  he was covered by 4, and then pick 6, instead of a tie, they were down by 14  and 2)  offensive line needed to be better.  Snap sailing over Lamar's head,  and generally some of the oliners were just beaten by the dline.    When you're in the playoffs,  and you lose, it's somewhat easy to identify the problems because when you make the playoffs, there was nothing in the regular season that prevented the playoffs.  Make the playoffs,  regular season = good.  The problem is boiled down to the one game, and you try to figure out the solution.

25 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

also "having a short career as your starter".  What's wrong with that?  A running QB is likely to have at least a slightly shorter career because risk of injury, also because of the fact that what you want is speed from the QB. 

You took "short career" as an injury thing. That is not what I meant. I meant short career in terms of how long you stick with them as your starter. 

Let's get Wentz back in a trade and make him TE. He could pass the ball to himself.

12 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Yeap JJAW can be the next Aaron Hernandez.

:ph34r:

He can share his umbrella with someone other than his mama

• Haha 1

I think I’d rather experiment with Jordan Malaita at te in the event that Andre Dillard can take the LT spot.

36 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

I think I’d rather experiment with Jordan Malaita at te in the event that Andre Dillard can take the LT spot.

Honestly at first, I thought they would try him at FB and possibly TE. 

JJAW was never going to be successful under Wentz. JJAW doesn't create separation. He boxes out the defender and creates a window. Wentz just never seemed to be able to read and make that kind of throw. I'm guessing it was a trust thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vileborg said:

JJAW was never going to be successful under Wentz. JJAW doesn't create separation. He boxes out the defender and creates a window. Wentz just never seemed to be able to read and make that kind of throw. I'm guessing it was a trust thing.

Nailed it.

Also, Dougie P's schemes were not suited to JJAW's strengths.  Watch him break out this year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Nailed it.

Also, Dougie P's schemes were not suited to JJAW's strengths.  Watch him break out this year.

I think it was more about the QB than the HC. Carson didn't trust his WRs and that's why he held on to the ball and that's why he took so many sacks. JJAW is a WR who goes and gets those 50/50 balls and Carson wouldn't air it out to him. 

That said i also don't think JJAW is very good. 

• Like 1

Oh god now we are going to blame carson for Whiteside. You guys have gone full blown insane. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vileborg said:

JJAW was never going to be successful under Wentz. 

OMG.  Now we blame Wentz for JJAW being the worst receiver on the field at all times.  He can't run routes, can't catch, LITERALLY runs into other pass catchers mid-route, and he's built like a cream puff.  

Replace Wentz with (Insert the top 10 greatest QBs of all time) and your statement still holds true.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Oh god now we are going to blame carson for Whiteside. You guys have gone full blown insane. 

On 4/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, hputenis said:

OMG.  Now we blame Wentz for JJAW being the worst receiver on the field at all times.  He can't run routes, can't catch, LITERALLY runs into other pass catchers mid-route, and he's built like a cream puff.  

Replace Wentz with (Insert the top 10 greatest QBs of all time) and your statement still holds true.  

I don't think it's fair to just flat out say it's Wentz' fault, but as the QB, he definitely played a part. It would certainly be ignorant to not consider the play of the QB. Just some food for thought:

The Eagles targeted:

WRs --- 316 times

TEs --- 165 times

RBs --- 75 times

WRs --- 276

TEs --- 210

RBs --- 102

WRs --- 256

TEs --- 234

RBs --- 114

WRs --- 293

TEs --- 170

RBs --- 93

When you break down the targets even further, a large majority of our WR targets are to the slot WR during the last 3 seasons. I'm sure part of it is the offensive design / philosophy, but another part of it is where the QB is looking or is comfortable throwing. The receivers also are accountable as they have to get open, run their routes properly and make the catch when the pass is on target. Injuries forced JJAW into playing time as a rookie and he didn't really do anything to win Wentz' trust. He had the big drop against the Lions and it seemed like Wentz didn't have any trust in him after that. He did improve his routes and created separation toward the end of his Rookie season, but Wentz was looking elsewhere most of the time. 

After a strong TC last season, JJAW still hadn't won anybody over. His snap counts were low to begin the season and then the injury that led the way to Fulgham's first start, gave Fulgham a chance to gain the QB's trust and he did for 5 straight games. Nobody complained that Fulgham was given a majority of the snaps at X during that stretch. JJAW took a back seat and once Jeffery was cleared, wasn't even active until the final week. In that final week, we played against a team in a must win situation (for them), with a very good defense and our QB play was not very good in that game. Still, JJAW did make the most of his best playing opportunity of the season. He looked much better than in any other game. People just want to discount that because the game itself was just a miserable ending to a miserable season and nobody wants to feel good about anything.

JJAW didn't win a spot in 2021 from his week 17 performance, but he did show encouraging signs that he can win a spot. I don't know if he'll ever live up to his 2nd rd billing, but I think he could be solid contributor if used properly. I still think he needs to contribute on ST if he expects to hang around as a backup. In other words, he needs to either have a breakout season where he surprises everybody, find a niche as a role contributor and ST player, or we need to move on. 

• Like 1

JJ-AWFUL will be playing rock paper scissors with his Mom under the umbrella.

5d434c192432f.image.jpg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

:roll:

Lol I didn't even bother getting into that 

• Haha 1

Mainly, I was making the argument that in 2017, the last year our offense was considered good, we targeted WRs 57% of the time.  In 2018, it decreased to 47% of the time and in 2019 (when only Wentz played), it fell to 42% of the time. Last year, it improved to 53%. Tampa (SB Champs) targeted wrs 58% of the time last season.

Ultimately, the QB decides who to target on a play. Certainly the WR can be a factor on whether or not he's targeted if he is covered. But while you can't pin all the blame on a QB, you do have to consider that he plays a part. Regardless, you can't pin JJAW's 2020 on Wentz, because it was likely the coaches' decision to not play him much all year. In 2019, I felt Wentz had no confidence in JJAW and was not comfortable even looking for him. The only other QBs that have played with JJAW are McCown, Hurts, and Sudfeld and they seemed a little more likely to throw his way. 

We could have had DK as WR1 and Jefferson as WR2 right now. Just thinking about that makes me want to kill myself. 

Thanks, Howie.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:31 PM, Portyansky said:

Sorry, super bored, waiting for the draft. Was thinking how cool it would have been to have either Chase or Pitts to choose from to get Hurts an O weapon. Then started thinking about our WRs, and how if they had a little more time, they would get open and with Hurts ability to scramble that may happen. Then thought about JJAW, where would he fit in this O. TE came to mind. 

no

Reagor-Smith and then all those other guys we drafted last year.

Cut this bum today.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:35 PM, eaglesflyers#1 said:

I hope I’m not ever bored enough to contemplate JJAW’s future on this team

Can he please get cut so I can forget about DK Metcalf and Scary Terry?

What a waste of a pick he was.  With the drafting of Smith, several young guys with potential on the roster, and the undrafted guys I can't see him beating anyone out and making the team.  He will most likely end up getting picked up by someone, say New England, and becoming a 1k yard receiver because that is our luck.

4 hours ago, Miami said:

He may lose his spot to Grimes.

I can't see it. I think Grimes is going to be really popular with fans during the summer but ultimately will make the PS.

• Like 1