ROUND 6 (#189): Eagles select Marlon Tuipulotu (USC DT)

Moderator6

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's a solid enough prospect. Meant to be good against the run, has a little bit in terms of pass rush. He's a sixth round pick so if he becomes a decent depth guy then that's fine. 

Yup, I think I'm just more miffed that Howie would  take another DL with a late pick even the eagles UDFA were more Lineman and zero LBs CBs or safeties?

Why not a LB or a DB?

41 minutes ago, Utebird said:

This draft pick is the one I'm least excited about 

I mean the dude isn't very big but not small either,not very  fast or strong, he's just run of the mill dime a dozen DT,  he's ok as a run stopper In college against scrub OL.

I guess the one thing he has going for him is his hands are bigger than average🤷‍♂️

Not sure why Howie doesn't take a shot at a LB or DB Instead he keeps drafting college DEs and safeties to play LB🤔 and a million DL

I was watching an Interview from a personell guy can't remember who and he was saying that they try to get players from college that on tape could do this gs that they are asking them to do in the pros and that when asking guys to do things they showed they didn't or couldn't do I college that's when they run into problems.

Seems Howie is creating unnecessary obstacles by drafting guys all the time and switching their positions 

Sure it can work sometime and how hard is it to just draft a LB that played LB in college and ask him to play LB or draft a college safety that can play safety in the pros 

This square peg in round hole smartest guy in the room schtick is tiresome.

yup...you know when they say 'We love his measurables" they are talking about analytics...Howie (and Lurie) put too much emphasis on analytics..to the detriment of other, possibly more important aspects....look at a guy like Bill B....he will overlook raw stats for a player with smarts every time...because the smart player can compensate for his weaknesses and learns quickly. 

So tired of drafting all these "potential" guys...why can't they draft players who can play right away...especially when there is a raging need at  premium position(s) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyerDog@Work said:

yup...you know when they say 'We love his measurables" they are talking about analytics...Howie (and Lurie) put too much emphasis on analytics..to the detriment of other, possibly more important aspects....look at a guy like Bill B....he will overlook raw stats for a player with smarts every time...because the smart player can compensate for his weaknesses and learns quickly. 

So tired of drafting all these "potential" guys...why can't they draft players who can play right away...especially when there is a raging need at  premium position(s) 

Yup the last 3 drafts 2round draft picks have been guys that are developmental back ups.

JJaw was drafted to back up jeffrey, Hurts drafted to back up Wentz and Dickerson to back up kelce.

Most teams project 2nd rounders as starters, not howie though☹️

10 hours ago, Utebird said:

Yup, I think I'm just more miffed that Howie would  take another DL with a late pick even the eagles UDFA were more Lineman and zero LBs CBs or safeties?

Why not a LB or a DB?

But if he thinks that player has a greater chance of contributing long term why not? Chances are a sixth round LB or DB aren't going to make the roster. In fact a DT has a better chance I think due to their position. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if he thinks that player has a greater chance of contributing long term why not? Chances are a sixth round LB or DB aren't going to make the roster. In fact a DT has a better chance I think due to their position. 

Why would a 6th round DT on this roster have a better chance to make the roster than a 6th round DB.

The eagles have squat at safety and corner.

They have slay at corner then maddox is who knows what they drafted Zech in the 4th then after that just a bunch of scrubs 

At safety they have mcleod and Harris and then what?

Tuipulotu will be the ,5th DT at best and inactive on game days.

At least a 5th DB would be active on gameday.

6 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Why would a 6th round DT on this roster have a better chance to make the roster than a 6th round DB.

Because line play is generally easier to develop and make in to a functional player. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Because line play is generally easier to develop and make in to a functional player. 

DTs are also generally out of the league earlier than other positions.

Plus what does it say about ones coaches if they just have a million DTs because they can't develop DBs?

I have zero problem building inside out, I believe that's the best way to build a team yet I also think that at some point allocating do many resources to one position at some point becomes detrimental to other positions on the field and the team as a whole.

DL maybe more valuable than DBs and LBs yet the latter should be more than an after thought

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Plus what does it say about ones coaches if they just have a million DTs because they can't develop DBs?

I don't think it's about that though. Corner is arguably the most difficult position to play in the NFL and certainly if not the most then the second most. 

A corner needs to have good size and speed, be agile, read the QB, diagnose plays. They need to run with a WR not knowing what route they are running etc. They need to locate the ball and the WR at all times. They need to play the ball and be careful not to be too handsy with the WR.

DT... If he's big and hard to move then he's probably going to be able to do a job. Can he stuff the run? Or at least be good against the run? If so then you know what he'll probably be a decent enough depth guy. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it's about that though. Corner is arguably the most difficult position to play in the NFL and certainly if not the most then the second most. 

A corner needs to have good size and speed, be agile, read the QB, diagnose plays. They need to run with a WR not knowing what route they are running etc. They need to locate the ball and the WR at all times. They need to play the ball and be careful not to be too handsy with the WR.

DT... If he's big and hard to move then he's probably going to be able to do a job. Can he stuff the run? Or at least be good against the run? If so then you know what he'll probably be a decent enough depth guy. 

Yes Corner is difficult and  finding a big fat slob to get in the way is easier  and I'm not a big fan of drafting corners with high picks or giving big contracts to because the league rules set corners up to fail and corners are more one dimensional than say a safety that can move around.

I'm just miffed that Howie with a roster devoid of much talent at corner and safety would come out of a draft taking 1 corner in the 4th Zero safeties and 3 DL then sign a couple more DL UDFA but not and UDFA corners or safeties.🤔

Unless howie is planning on playing a 5-2 every down he might want to bring in some DBs in a passing league 

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

I'm just miffed that Howie with a roster devoid of much talent at corner and safety would come out of a draft taking 1 corner in the 4th Zero safeties and 3 DL then sign a couple more DL UDFA but not and UDFA corners or safeties.🤔

I get it, we all know corner is an issue on this team, but ultimately if there weren't the players there then not forcing it was the right thing to do. If they forced it and ended up with guys they didn't really rate highly then those guys probably wouldn't last long. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I get it, we all know corner is an issue on this team, but ultimately if there weren't the players there then not forcing it was the right thing to do. If they forced it and ended up with guys they didn't really rate highly then those guys probably wouldn't last long. 

I get they had tuipulotu rated higher than some scrub corner and Howie puts a premium on DL so they are always going to rate higher on his board, there were 9 DBs that went in the 6th round, two right before Tui, while can say a DT in the sixth round has a better chance of making the roster over a 6th round CB I e has to take Into account roster construction and roster balance as well.

If one continues to draft DT over similarly rated corners one will have a roster that is too heavy with DL and devoid of any talent at DB and LB which is where the eagles are.

Outside if slay there's nothing on the back 7.

Mcleod is a shell of who he used to be and at this point is JAG.

All the LBs are meh and  the rest of the corners are all backups.

Yet the eagles have 10 good D lineman only 4 of which are on the field at the same time and half are just guys that are just big enough to do nothing other than get in the way ☹️

On 5/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, PoconoDon said:

DT depth is good to have.

NT to go with WIlliams as a 3T

still seems like too many resources at DT with Cox and Hargrave starting. but its a 6th

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

NT to go with WIlliams as a 3T

still seems like too many resources at DT with Cox and Hargrave starting. but its a 6th

The position sometimes gets dinged up a little, so having another guy to throw into the fray isn't such a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

The position sometimes gets dinged up a little, so having another guy to throw into the fray isn't such a bad idea.

have Ridgeway and Williams too. 

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

If one continues to draft DT over similarly rated corners one will have a roster that is too heavy with DL and devoid of any talent at DB and LB which is where the eagles are.

But he's rebuilding the roster. He's recognising that Cox is getting older and beyond Cox we don't have a lot. Hargrave improved as the year went on but you've got to have options. 

We all know the secondary is an issue and I don't think anybody is going to argue that. But they need to invest more premium picks in the position and you aren't going to get a lot in the sixth round. 

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

have Ridgeway and Williams too. 

True and McGill I think as well. Maybe they can work out a deal for a CB. They could use one.

• Like 1

Just now, PoconoDon said:

True and McGill I think as well. Maybe they can work out a deal for a CB. They could use one.

I'm sure they know they need CB. I mean I'm sure Gannon is pounding the table for one. I'm sure he's not happy with the state of the corner position. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm sure they know they need CB. I mean I'm sure Gannon is pounding the table for one. I'm sure he's not happy with the state of the corner position. 

He should be pounding the table, slay is what 31 years old behind him there's nothing nada zip and howie drafts 2 DTs and a DE and then signs a couple of UDFA DL and zero corners and safeties.

Not to mention the DTs like Williams and Mcgill that aren't much different than Tui.

At some point the need for another middling DT loses its value to the potential of drafting a corner or safety. Or even LB.

I'm not too worried about LB Howie has no idea what he's doing there and the eagles value LBs about as much as they do FBs and they drafted 2 last year and then drafted a DE and a safety to be LBs this year, would be nice if they drafted LBs to be LBs but that makes too much sense for the smartest guys in the room🤔

56 minutes ago, Utebird said:

He should be pounding the table, slay is what 31 years old behind him there's nothing nada zip and howie drafts 2 DTs and a DE and then signs a couple of UDFA DL and zero corners and safeties.

Yeah he should be and I'm sure they will do something to address the position. But again they have to stick to their board. They can't reach for players because of need. When they do that they tend to get it wrong.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah he should be and I'm sure they will do something to address the position. But again they have to stick to their board. They can't reach for players because of need. When they do that they tend to get it wrong.

In the 6th round grades are subjective.

I'm sure Howie had Tui rated higher than any DB in the 6th round by far, which is typical for Howie and somewhat myopic.

One could have a Punter rated as a 4th Rounder yet if one already has a starting punter on the roster one isn't going to draft that punter in the 6th round because o e is sticking to ones board ue

Howie puts an inordinate amount of value on DL to appoint that it's detrimental to building a balanced roster 

We'll see, if Tui turns out to be a good rotational piece and the 9 DBs drafted in the 6th suck then it won't matter, either way teams aren't losing too much sleep over 6th round picks.

I know everyone is concerned about the CBs, but is it POSSIBLE that Gannon looked at what is on the roster, and saw some skill sets that he likes and believes he can work with?

I mean for all of the good things about Schwartz, his defensive scheme has always killed his DBs and, IMO, made them look worse than they are. I just find it hard to believe that no matter who they tried to bring in to "fix” the CB issues, none of those players were any good. Then you look at how Rasul left and immediately looked like a totally different/better player in year one out of Schwartz defense. 

Bottom line, before I start ****ing about any position group, I’m going to wait and see how they look with the new coaching staff. 

18 minutes ago, nipples said:

I know everyone is concerned about the CBs, but is it POSSIBLE that Gannon looked at what is on the roster, and saw some skill sets that he likes and believes he can work with?

No :roll:

• Like 1

When I see a name like that, I visualize a huge line player from some exotic island.