ROUND 6 (#224): Eagles select JaCoby Stevens (LSU Safety)

Moderator6

Was a top-25 national recruit after a sensational high school career at Oakland High School in Tennessee.

Talent was there, wonder what happened.

Stevens, a top-25 national recruit after a sensational high school career at Oakland High School in Tennessee, started one game at wide receiver (two receptions, 32 yards) as a true freshman, but also lined up at safety (no statistics) during his six appearances. Stevens moved to defense permanently in 2018, starting the final four games at safety (35 tackles, 6.5 for loss, with 1.5 sacks, one interception, five pass breakups in 11 games). Starting all 15 contests in 2019, his play (92 tackles, nine for loss, with five sacks, three interceptions, six pass breakups) helped the Tigers win a national title and earned him second-team All-SEC honors and three conference Defensive Player of the Week awards. Stevens started all 10 games for the Bayou Bengals in 2020, tying for the team lead with 63 tackles (six for loss with three sacks) while also breaking up four passes and tying for third in the FBS with three fumble recoveries. He switched to jersey No. 7, which was previously worn by future pros Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Leonard Fournette, D.J. Chark, and Grant Delpit, prior to his final collegiate season. Stevens accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

• Like 1

Hard to tell without knowing more about the scheme they will run.  Was kinda hoping for Dylan Moses or Thomas Graham.

1 minute ago, Han Solo said:

He might be a linebacker

A safety who thought he was a line backer or a linebacker who thought he was a safety. Seems like a Howie guy. 

• Like 3

Stevens toes the line somewhere between linebacker and safety at 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds. He is best utilized in a downhill role, either firing into the backfield to make plays against the run or being used as a blitzing weapon. He just doesn’t have the processing or movement skills to hold up in a deeper role.

-pff.com

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
LSU
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Nashville, TN
Senior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 1"
212 lbs
32 1/4"
HANDS
9 1/8"

1 minute ago, Infam said:

-pff.com

So it sounds like he can’t cover just blitz... I guess I’m sure there was someone with more upside. We had meeting with some small school oline men that I think are still out there.

Bit undersized for a defensive tackle - but has a good shot to make the 10 man rotation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

-pff.com

I don't know, he looked pretty damned good against Pitts on that one play. Damn. I'm liking him.

• Like 2

Just now, eephraim said:

I don't know, he looked pretty damned good against Pitts on that one play. Damn. I'm liking him.

Damn good damn comment, damnit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Big___Al said:

Damn good damn comment, damnit!

279E523B-AA88-40C1-9E25-9668AF9BC079.jpeg

• Like 1

Hoping they seem as a more of a LB/hybrid safety than a safety... would not want to see him deep ever. 

He could certainly be effective, however, in a 5-2-4 system or something similar as a middle roamer/lb

Love the play he made against Kyle Pitts. 

I think Eagles fans are going to love this kid. He can cover and blitz and hit and tackle. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time at Safety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t hate it. For a 6th it wasn’t a reach by any means. I think K’von Wallace is a better player. 

• Like 1

Wow, looks like another great value pick/steal by Howie.

So...best draft EVAR?

46 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

He might be a linebacker

Late round LSU safety? He’s clearly a starting corner for the Eagles. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Wow, looks like another great value pick/steal by Howie.

So...best draft EVAR?

They got some great talent here. Smith and Gainwell will immediately contribute to the O. I think Milton will definitely be rotating in right away Week 1. And McPherson could very well win the CB2 competition. Landon hopefully doesn’t have to play much this year. Him, Tuipulotu, Jackson are all longer term depth. Smith and Gainwell alone gets me to an A-

• Like 1

He is a strong safety / undersized LB. Will hopefully work into rotation..or most likely Special teams.

12 minutes ago, DoWorx said:

is he a LBer or a safety?

He's a 6th round pick who will be cut in 2 years, so who cares?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He is a safety and can be a Kam chancellor type safety. He is a punisher. But he tried to go up in playing weight this past season and it didn’t work Out well. Has potential and that’s all you can ask for in day 3 picks.