ROUND 6 (#224): Eagles select JaCoby Stevens (LSU Safety)

Moderator6

This is what we do. We stock up on linemen then go dumpster diving for our Secondary. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

This is what we do. We stock up on linemen then go dumpster diving for our Secondary. 

4E46647E-E5BF-49D0-A3D4-1C9C19987059.jpeg

• Like 1

What da??

They picked up two safeties in FA, drafted one last year I believe in the 2nd round and you draft another one this year?? 

These guys don't have a clue when it comes building a football team, all they can hope for is spending a lot of money in FA because they screw up damn near every draft.

It's another ok pick. So Howie has one good pick, and the rest are Meh. Not a good draft- AGAIN. I won't spend another $$ on the Eagles until this guy is removed from personnel decisions. 

15 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It's another ok pick. So Howie has one good pick, and the rest are Meh. Not a good draft- AGAIN. I won't spend another $$ on the Eagles until this guy is removed from personnel decisions. 

Not sure what your complaint is. There wasn’t a single "WTF?” reach, and we have one of those every year. In fact, most of our picks were considered good value for where they were picked.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, vaff said:

Not sure what your complaint is. There wasn’t a single "WTF?” reach, and we have one of those every year. In fact, most of our picks were considered good value for where they were picked.

RD 2 - Injury history is 4 of 5 seasons ended with injury = WTF?

Rd 4 - Who??? and he's the only CB they take = WTF??

If a hard hitting Safety tees Smith up for a kill shot and he shatters like a china doll because he's only 166 lbs., this draft could be a disaster. 

Look, things may turn out well too. I get that. I'm just saying that this isn't a draft that I feel great about. There are questions with every draft. but this draft has some big ones upon which everything hinges. Right now, overall, I'd call this draft mediocre. The one saving grace is the extra 1st rounder next year from Miami. The downside is Howie will be involved again when he shouldn't be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

RD 2 - Injury history is 4 of 5 seasons ended with injury = WTF?

Rd 4 - Who??? and he's the only CB they take = WTF??

If a hard hitting Safety tees Smith up for a kill shot and he shatters like a china doll because he's only 166 lbs., this draft could be a disaster. 

Look, things may turn out well too. I get that. I'm just saying that this isn't a draft that I feel great about. There are questions with every draft. but this draft has some big ones upon which everything hinges. Right now, overall, I'd call this draft mediocre. The one saving grace is the extra 1st rounder next year from Miami. The downside is Howie will be involved again when he shouldn't be.

Daniel Jeremiah had him as his 85th best player and a third round pick. Just because you don’t know who he is, doesn’t mean it was a reach.

5 minutes ago, vaff said:

Daniel Jeremiah had him as his 85th best player and a third round pick. Just because you don’t know who he is, doesn’t mean it was a reach.

Just because he has him there doesn't mean he's any good. Still to your point, he MUST be a dominating CB because he's the only one they took. I look forward to his HOF career.

*edit*   There's no denying his productivity in college.

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
Year School Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
Career Overall         100 18 118 4.5 0.0 4 21 5.3 0 14 2   1 0
  Penn State         11 3 14 1.0 0.0 0 0   0 3 0     0
  Texas Tech         89 15 104 3.5 0.0 4 21 5.3 0 11 2   1 0
*2017 Penn State Big Ten FR CB 4 5 1 6 0.0 0.0 0 0   0 1 0     0
*2018 Penn State Big Ten SO CB 5 6 2 8 1.0 0.0 0 0   0 2 0     0
2019 Texas Tech Big 12 JR DB 12 42 9 51 2.5 0.0 0 0   0 5 0     0
2020 Texas Tech Big 12 SR DB 10 47 6 53 1.0 0.0 4 21 5.3 0 6 2   1 0

Just because he has him there doesn't mean he's any good. Still to your point, he MUST be a dominating CB because he's the only one they took. I look forward to his HOF career.

And just because you don’t think he’s good, doesn’t mean he’s not. The point is it wasn’t a reach. Tommy Lawlor also had him as one of his 5 fourth round targets this morning.

So you would rather they draft players they rate lower, in order to fill a need? Glad you’re not the GM.

32 minutes ago, vaff said:

Actually 2 good picks out of the entire draft. The # 1 and the # 5. The rest are questionable, especially the BS #3 trade back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, vaff said:

And just because you don’t think he’s good, doesn’t mean he’s not. The point is it wasn’t a reach. Tommy Lawlor also had him as one of his 5 fourth round targets this morning.

So you would rather they draft players they rate lower, in order to fill a need? Glad you’re not the GM.

I never said anything even remotely close to that nonsense but you keep attributing made up conclusions to others. You're a child.

As for the player, McPherson's productivity was such that he couldn't stay at Penn State so he transferred to Texas Tech where also was just so-so. A reach at CB when they need a starter opposite slay? until he proves otherwise, Yes, it was. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I never said anything even remotely close to that nonsense but you keep attributing made up conclusions to others. You're a child.

As for the player, McPherson's productivity was such that he couldn't stay at Penn State so he transferred to Texas Tech where also was just so-so. A reach at CB when they need a starter opposite slay? until he proves otherwise, Yes, it was. 

It’s what you implied by complaining that we only drafted one CB.

That’s your opinion. Respected people that study these things disagree with you. 

11 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Actually 2 good picks out of the entire draft. The # 1 and the # 5. The rest are questionable, especially the BS #3 trade back.

Pretty much everybody that knows anything about Milton Williams have said good things. So what’s your problem with him? That the Giants took a slot corner between 70 and 73? 

1 minute ago, vaff said:

It’s what you implied by complaining that we only drafted one CB.

That’s your opinion. Respected people that study these things disagree with you. 

There was no such implication except what your imagination made up.

To me, there is nothing available which says he's a starting caliber CB. Good for Tommy and DJ. I hope they are right about him and he turns out great. The thing is, the odds appear to be against him and with nobody else to turn to, it's a WTF moment, sorry.

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

There was no such implication except what your imagination made up.

To me, there is nothing available which says he's a starting caliber CB. Good for Tommy and DJ. I hope they are right about him and he turns out great. The thing is, the odds appear to be against him and with nobody else to turn to, it's a WTF moment, sorry.

Ok, then why did you complain that they only drafted one CB? You’re either assuming they passed on a CB they had rated equally to another guy they picked, or you’re implying they should have drafted a player they rated lower at a position of need.

He’s a 4th round pick. 4th round corners don’t usually end up being starters. Of course the odds are against him. And you’re assuming they won’t add a corner before the start of the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vaff said:

Ok, then why did you complain that they only drafted one CB? You’re either assuming they passed on a CB they had rated equally to another guy they picked, or you’re implying they should have drafted a player they rated lower at a position of need.

He’s a 4th round pick. 4th round corners don’t usually end up being starters. Of course the odds are against him. And you’re assuming they won’t add a corner before the start of the season.

There were better CB's available in Round 2 where they chose to take a highly skilled O-lineman who has suffered season ending injuries 80% of the time (4 out of 5 seasons). THAT was a better place to take a CB. Go back and look who was still there. They were more highly rated than Zech McPherson. 

Also, I am assuming nothing. Again you're making up conclusions and attributing them to  me. Stop that. If you actually need me to conclude imaginary things so you can further your own narrative in response, change your narrative. 

Once again, I hope the Eagles were right. Given their track record in the draft and the info available on the kid, and the need at the position, they seem to have waited too long and then reached. That's what it looks like to me. You know who can change my opinion? Zech McPherson, that's who when he proves he's for real at CB.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

There were better CB's available in Round 2 where they chose to take a highly skilled O-lineman who has suffered season ending injuries 80% of the time (4 out of 5 seasons). THAT was a better place to take a CB. Go back and look who was still there. They were more highly rated than Zech McPherson. 

Also, I am assuming nothing. Again you're making up conclusions and attributing them to  me. Stop that. If you actually need me to conclude imaginary things so you can further your own narrative in response, change your narrative. 

Once again, I hope the Eagles were right. Given their track record in the draft and the info available on the kid, and the need at the position, they seem to have waited too long and then reached. That's what it looks like to me. You know who can change my opinion? Zech McPherson, that's who when he proves he's for real at CB.

Of course there were better CB’s available, it was two rounds earlier. But I’ve heard the CB’s in round two of this draft described as, "bottom tier #2 corners”. I’d rather a player with higher upside than that early in the second round.

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

Of course there were better CB’s available, it was two rounds earlier. But I’ve heard the CB’s in round two of this draft described as, "bottom tier #2 corners”. I’d rather a player with higher upside than that early in the second round.

Which makes McPherson in any round what exactly? That's right, say it with me, a reach.

Which makes McPherson in any round what exactly? That's right, say it with me, a reach.

Your logic is absurd. I’m done with this.

Just now, vaff said:

Your logic is absurd. I’m done with this.

I accept your surrender. Take care.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I accept your surrender. Take care.

Don you know I respect your opinion but McPherson was a top 100 prospect on quite a few draft boards I’ve seen. Is he Horn or Surtain? Of course not. Personally I think they need to sign Steve Nelson for a year, clean up the young depth by identifying their top 1-3 guys out of Maddox, Jacquet, etc and let the rest go. CB room should be Slay, Nelson, McPherson, Maddox and 2 JAGs this year. Then next year, go get Derek Stingley and F Ceedee, Slayton, and McLaurin in the arse twice a year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vaff said:

Pretty much everybody that knows anything about Milton Williams have said good things. So what’s your problem with him? That the Giants took a slot corner between 70 and 73? 

My problem isn't with him, my problem is you take a CB with that pick- hands down. Why do you think the director of player personnel wanted to punch Howie in the face on national tv? 

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Don you know I respect your opinion but McPherson was a top 100 prospect on quite a few draft boards I’ve seen. Is he Horn or Surtain? Of course not. Personally I think they need to sign Steve Nelson for a year, clean up the young depth by identifying their top 1-3 guys out of Maddox, Jacquet, etc and let the rest go. CB room should be Slay, Nelson, McPherson, Maddox and 2 JAGs this year. Then next year, go get Derek Stingley and F Ceedee, Slayton, and McLaurin in the arse twice a year. 

The back and forth had nothing to do with the player really. It was about vaff telling me what I meant and concluded, so he could push his narrative that there were (in his opinion) no WTF picks. He didn't want to accept that a differing opinion could be valid in any way to anyone who may hold it. Apparently, his view is the only truth, and all must accept it as gospel. I rejected that premise and that is what was fueling my responses.

You know I want McPherson to be terrific because it helps the Eagles. In truth, I see him as a very athletic, hard working, slightly undersized CB who was productive at Texas Tech against all but the bigger WR's he faced.  Hopefully he can overcome that in the NFL. We'll see.

I also want Dickerson's extensive injury history to be a non factor in his NFL career because it helps the Eagles. I think the Eagles' approach should've been CB earlier and OC later, but that's just my opinion, which is all I was really offering anyway. 

To me, as an individual, those two picks were WTF picks/moments and shall remain so, until the players prove otherwise. Once they do, I will accept they're good, compliment the F.O., consider the team lucky to have them, and enjoy watching their positive contributions to the team. 

• Like 1