No LB or S in the draft at any round

Traveler Vic

I understand that Eagles do not value these positions..but how many years can you ignore any specific position in the draft, before it bites you?

Yes I know they will try to fix it in the next draft..But they have not even brought any of the unsigned players at these positions for competition ?

I know they think they can randomly plug CBs and other players into these positions..but without experience it is not the same results.

Throwing a CB into a position of need that he may not have played in years..sometimes produces a large learning curve.

Well, we got Wilson and Harris. And drafted Stevens.

Yeah ok, maybe still need someone. But we will go for more defense next year.

17 minutes ago, Infam said:

The reason why we got them..is because Howie ignored the position and failed to draft replacements. Do you somehow think that next year Howie will change his philosophy? Or will the Eagles be chasing another hot offensive weapon, and once again ignore these same positions?

Next year better be mostly Defensive Draft with the top picks.

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

The reason why we got them..is because Howie ignored the position and failed to draft replacements. Do you somehow think that next year Howie will change his philosophy? Or will the Eagles be chasing another hot offensive weapon, and once again ignore these same positions?

Next year better be mostly Defensive Draft.

Well.. if we grab another hot weapon (Ross!!!) I'll be happy too. Sorry! 😁

We will have three first round picks. We can grab another receiver and a CB or two.

41 minutes ago, Infam said:

We will have three first round picks. We can grab another receiver and a CB or two.

I think the positions they’ll want to address in the first round are CB and DL. Whether the board works out that way, who knows. I think it’s pretty clear they’re not going to address LB and S In the first round, though. 

Of course, if Jalen Hurts has a bad year, QB will become the #1 priority. I really want him to prove himself to be the guy, so we can fill in the team around him with these premium picks.

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

I think the positions they’ll want to address in the first round are CB and DL. Whether the board works out that way, who knows. I think it’s pretty clear they’re not going to address LB and S In the first round, though. 

But this is the problem that they've now created. Not this year but years of overlooking the defense with high value picks. If the board doesn't fall their way next year then no they shouldn't force it... But then that could be yet another year without a high value defensive pick.

I mean we took Taylor and Wallace last year so I guess the team still thinks they may have been coaching rather than talent problems, but yeah I expected a Linebacker on the third day. 

• Like 1

If Wilson and Harris are serviceable then the D should be fine.

They only really have 2 linebackers on the field for most snaps anyway. Singleton played well last year and to a lesser degree so did TJ Edwards. If either of Bradley or Edwards makes the second year jump then linebacker isn't really a huge problem anymore. I think the Eagles already improved at linebacker just by releasing Gerry and those guys I mentioned getting a year of playing time. 

As far as safety goes I'm a little more concerned. If McLeod can return to form from injury (big if especially early in the season), him and Harris should be pretty good together. I am also looking forward to seeing more of Wallace. It would be nice if he could show promise and lock down that third safety spot. Epps is still around and even though I like him on special teams the reality is that he's a serviceable spot duty guy who is number 4 on the depth chart. 

The biggest worry to me as of right now is who plays CB2. I have no doubts that Howie will find a free agent band aid for a year then we go from there. 

4 minutes ago, mr_irie1 said:

If Wilson and Harris are serviceable then the D should be fine.

They only really have 2 linebackers on the field for most snaps anyway. Singleton played well last year and to a lesser degree so did TJ Edwards. If either of Bradley or Edwards makes the second year jump then linebacker isn't really a huge problem anymore. I think the Eagles already improved at linebacker just by releasing Gerry and those guys I mentioned getting a year of playing time. 

As far as safety goes I'm a little more concerned. If McLeod can return to form from injury (big if especially early in the season), him and Harris should be pretty good together. I am also looking forward to seeing more of Wallace. It would be nice if he could show promise and lock down that third safety spot. Epps is still around and even though I like him on special teams the reality is that he's a serviceable spot duty guy who is number 4 on the depth chart. 

The biggest worry to me as of right now is who plays CB2. I have no doubts that Howie will find a free agent band aid for a year then we go from there. 

I think a guy like Steven Nelson comes in to be CB2 with McPherson backing him up so he can acclimate to the college to pros jump. 

• Like 2

S ...JaCoby Stevens in round 6 don't count orrrrr???

• Like 5

At this point I am leaning towards the probability that Gannon will run a scheme to heavily protect the corners this year and keep the safeties from having to cover the whole field.  I believe this is what the colts did last year.

So heavy Cover 2 with some cover 3 mixed in?  Limit the cover 1?  Lots of post snap rotation to disguise.

Last year they drafted Taylor LB, Wallace S, and Bradley LB in the 3rd, 4th round, and 6th rounds

This year in free agency they signed Harris S and Wilson LB in free agency

This year they drafted McPhearson CB, Stevens LB/S Hybrid, and Johnson LB in the 4th, and 7th rounds

I am with you on CB being a major concern. However, you can't fill every need in one offseason. They will have either three first round picks and a second rounder, or two firsts and two seconds next year. This is also not a situation where they have to be desperate to fill needs for one season since this is obviously a two year rebuild. I also wasn't aware that there was a rule that teams could stop adding players after the draft. Patience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Last year they drafted Taylor LB, Wallace S, and Bradley LB in the 3rd, 4th round, and 6th rounds

This year they drafted McPhearson CB, Stevens LB/S Hybrid, and Johnson LB in the 4th, and 7th rounds

I am with you on CB being a major concern. However, you can't fill every need in one offseason. They will have either three first round picks and a second rounder, or two firsts and two seconds next year. This is also not a situation where they have to be desperate to fill needs for one season since this is obviously a two year rebuild. I also wasn't aware that there was a rule that teams could stop adding players after the draft. Patience.

How did Taylor, Wallace and Bradley do? Did one them step up or even shown any signs of life ? LOL. Taylor 7 tackles, Wallace 15 tackles, Bradley 9 tackles For the entire year.

Safety is the QB of the Defense. When Brian Dawkins left in 2009 there was weakness at the position until Malcolm Jenkins. Malcolm overachieved and helped to cover a lot of defense's weaknesses. He was a moving chest piece. I want Eagles to get a quality S instead of plugging in journeyman.

Harris an undrafted player who may be blooming..but until 2019 he was a special teams player who was forced into starting line through attrition. Not exactly a difference maker. 

Wilson is another undrafted player. A 29 year old... Who was also put in the lineup in 2018. Had a good year...But!!!.... Vikings fans, did not really care much about him when he was leaving. 

Both of them are just another cheap signings to plug the positions of need for a year.

Yes I can be patient. Definitely Patient until next year. But the ignorance of Safety and LB positions is in the Eagles philosophy. 

4 hours ago, T-1000 said:

God forbid we give those guys time to develop, it's apparently strictly forbidden in TATERville.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Infam said:

6 out of 9 picks were d and they will go more next year like you said. Lot of holes and only so much they can do.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 5:05 AM, Infam said:

John Ross is a quintessential example of overvaluing measurables for WRs. The only reason he still gets talked about is because of that number, if not then he’d have been out of the league already because he’s not a very good WR. 

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

John Ross is a quintessential example of overvaluing measurables for WRs. The only reason he still gets talked about is because of that number, if not then he’d have been out of the league already because he’s not a very good WR. 

Haha oh god no. I'm talking about Justyn Ross, the 6'4" WR from Clemson.

• Like 2

They drafted Johnson in the 7th.  So they did get a LB just very late in the draft.  I think they are content on what they have right now.  They likely are not competing this year anyways and will hopefully have 3 first round picks to work with next year.

21 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

How did Taylor, Wallace and Bradley do? Did one them step up or even shown any signs of life ? LOL. Taylor 7 tackles, Wallace 15 tackles, Bradley 9 tackles For the entire year.

Safety is the QB of the Defense. When Brian Dawkins left in 2009 there was weakness at the position until Malcolm Jenkins. Malcolm overachieved and helped to cover a lot of defense's weaknesses. He was a moving chest piece. I want Eagles to get a quality S instead of plugging in journeyman.

Harris an undrafted player who may be blooming..but until 2019 he was a special teams player who was forced into starting line through attrition. Not exactly a difference maker. 

Wilson is another undrafted player. A 29 year old... Who was also put in the lineup in 2018. Had a good year...But!!!.... Vikings fans, did not really care much about him when he was leaving. 

Both of them are just another cheap signings to plug the positions of need for a year.

Yes I can be patient. Definitely Patient until next year. But the ignorance of Safety and LB positions is in the Eagles philosophy. 

Yeah, lol, you're so patient that you aren't even willing to give draft picks more than 1 season before writing them off. You are also so level headed that you can't even see that Harris and Wilson are legitimate upgrades. Seems to me like someone had some draft targets picked out that they read about on walter football and when the Eagles didn't draft them he had a little temper fit. Get over yourself.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

God forbid we give those guys time to develop, it's apparently strictly forbidden in TATERville.

Yep, have to give players AT LEAST two years after they are drafted to see how they will pan out.

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Yeah, lol, you're so patient that you aren't even willing to give draft picks more than 1 season before writing them off. You are also so level headed that you can't even see that Harris and Wilson are legitimate upgrades. Seems to me like someone had some draft targets picked out that they read about on walter football and when the Eagles didn't draft them he had a little temper fit. Get over yourself.

Thanks for the criticism.  All I know is that, in the last 5 years, my picks did a lot better than Howie's. 🙂 .And I am OK with Wilson and Harris as stop gaps..but I don't see them as an upgrade. Let's just leave at that. 🙂 The draft is over and I have accepted it.

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

Thanks for the criticism.  All I know is that, in the last 5 years, my picks did a lot better than Howie's. 🙂 .And I am OK with Wilson and Harris as stop gaps..but I don't see them as an upgrade. Let's just leave at that. 🙂 The draft is over and I have accepted it.

You don't see Wilson as an upgrade over what we had last year? I don't even know what to say to that. 

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You don't see Wilson as an upgrade over what we had last year? I don't even know what to say to that. 

I am OK with Wilson,  and I reserve my judgement on him until the next season. On paper he looks great but there are concerns. My concerns come from the fact that last year he missed 20 tackles. Only 2 other Linebackers had more misses last season. He never played with Gannon previously. Let's hope that he fits in. 🙂

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

I am OK with Wilson,  and I reserve my judgement on him until the next season. On paper he looks great but there are concerns. My concerns come from the fact that last year he missed 20 tackles. Only 2 other Linebackers had more misses last season. He never played with Gannon previously. Let's hope that he fits in. 🙂

He's still a better LB than what we've had the last few years. I'm not suggesting he's going to be elite but he's an upgrade. 

Didn't they draft a safety that they are going to play as a linebacker?  They got both the things you're ****ing about in one pick.  What more do you want?  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1