Gareon Conley (Texans CB) -- 2021 Free Agent

Jenkins27

We had strong interest in him when he came out of DBU aka NFLU aka THE Ohio State University. I think if the false allegations didn't come out before the draft we may have taken him over Barnett (thankfully we chose Barnett, made some big plays in our SB run). Now we can have both!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jenkins27 said:

We had strong interest in him when he came out of DBU aka NFLU aka THE Ohio State University. I think if the false allegations didn't come out before the draft we may have taken him over Barnett (thankfully we chose Barnett, made some big plays in our SB run). Now we can have both!

I really think this move makes sense for a team that is a) in a rebuild and b) needs to upgrade the secondary. 

Look at this point it isn't likely that Conley goes on to realise his first round potential. But he could still be a decent #2 CB. He could do a nice job opposite Slay and then whoever we bring in to replace Slay. And OK perhaps he doesn't but he'll be cheap and he's still young. 

• Like 1

Agree with both of the above posts.  Conley makes quite a bit of sense to bring aboard and throw into the competition.  Should come (relatively) cheap.  

And adding him after today won't impact the comp pick formula.  :P

• Like 1

I’m on board with it I could also see Brian Poole but still holding out hope for Nelson but I doubt he wants to come here especially to a new d coordinator that he doesn’t even know if he fits the scheme yet

I never liked Conley, always thought he was overrated.

But at this point, I'd take almost anyone.

1 year deal, why not? Lol can’t be worse than what we currently have

4 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

I’m on board with it I could also see Brian Poole but still holding out hope for Nelson but I doubt he wants to come here especially to a new d coordinator that he doesn’t even know if he fits the scheme yet

I heard that logic on Eagle Eye about Nelson. But there's not that many teams were the starting job is so locked in. If he signs a 1-yr deal elsewhere and they don't play him then his value plummets

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I heard that logic on Eagle Eye about Nelson. But there's not that many teams were the starting job is so locked in. If he signs a 1-yr deal elsewhere and they don't play him then his value plummets

That's very true. He's pretty much guaranteed to start here in Philly opposite of Slay. 

9 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

That's a good point ... there is really no one to offer competition for that 2nd outside spot outside of a few practice squad level players.  He could decide to sign for less here on a 1 year deal, play very well, and sign a lucrative contract next season when the cap should be in a much better place.  Could potentially set us up for a decent comp pick the following year in the process.  

12 hours ago, Infam said:

I never liked Conley, always thought he was overrated.

But at this point, I'd take almost anyone.

Assuming he comes in relatively cheap, the question is this: Is he better than what the Eagles have? If yes, get him and if not, don't. I suspect he's a worthy short term addition for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Assuming he comes in relatively cheap, the question is this: Is he better than what the Eagles have? If yes, get him and if not, don't. I suspect he's a worthy short term addition for now.

This 

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think there's little doubt that he's better than what the Eagles currently have. Could McPhearson develop in to a better player? Sure but he may need a year or so. 

I think that CB2 spot deserves some love. Steven Nelson with McPhearson gunning for his spot sounds like the best possible outcome to me at this juncture. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I think that CB2 spot deserves some love. Steven Nelson with McPhearson gunning for his spot sounds like the best possible outcome to me at this juncture. 

Or Conley I'd throw in to that mix. I agree though a bit of competition at CB #2 would be good and is much needed. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Or Conley I'd throw in to that mix. I agree though a bit of competition at CB #2 would be good and is much needed. 

I’d be happy with:

Nelson

Conley

Sherman

Dennard

Breeland

Poole

Hayden

Amukamara

Any of them can come in and at minimum give us a vet #2, and best case scenario really push McPhearson to show us he’s capable of being that #2 guy. Ideally we’d sign a Conley and a Poole and your CB room would be: Slay, Conley, Poole, Maddox, McPhearson and the best of our JAGs from last year. 

Or maybe there’s a trade available out there for a 26-28 year old guy we aren’t even thinking of. I know for sure though that we are not going into the season with this current crop of CBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I’d be happy with:

Nelson

Conley

Sherman

Dennard

Breeland

Poole

Hayden

Amukamara

Any of them can come in and at minimum give us a vet #2, and best case scenario really push McPhearson to show us he’s capable of being that #2 guy. Ideally we’d sign a Conley and a Poole and your CB room would be: Slay, Conley, Poole, Maddox, McPhearson and the best of our JAGs from last year. 

Or maybe there’s a trade available out there for a 26-28 year old guy we aren’t even thinking of. I know for sure though that we are not going into the season with this current crop of CBs. 

Poole is growing on me but I'm too lazy to start a separate post

56 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Poole is growing on me but I'm too lazy to start a separate post

Our new secondary coach (Dennard Wilson) has some familiarity with him ... he was the secondary coach for the Jets where Poole played the last couple of seasons.  But isn't he primarily a slot CB?  

Conley and Hooker, please.  How much will that cost, $3-4M?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Conley and Hooker, please.  How much will that cost, $3-4M?

I think Harris was their only move at S. I wouldn't worry about cost too much they'll add dummy years to spread it out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I think Harris was their only move at S. I wouldn't worry about cost too much they'll add dummy years to spread it out

Is Rodney going to start the season on PUP? If so, is the plan to use Webb as a band-aid until he returns. ugh...

24 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Is Rodney going to start the season on PUP? If so, is the plan to use Webb as a band-aid until he returns. ugh...

Webb?

22 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Webb?

Epps? <insert depth player>

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Epps? <insert depth player>

Maybe Wallace.  I actually liked UDFA Grayland Arnold last year.  They are all not great odds but maybe one will emerge

8 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Maybe Wallace.  I actually liked UDFA Grayland Arnold last year.  They are all not great odds but maybe one will emerge

Between Schwartz's scheme not being very DB friendly and lack of player development here it is pretty difficult to make any kind of evaluation on these young guys.  Will be interesting to see if any of them show enough progress in the new scheme and under new coaching to turn into reliable players.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 2:14 AM, pgcd3 said:

On 5/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think there's little doubt that he's better than what the Eagles currently have. Could McPhearson develop in to a better player? Sure but he may need a year or so. 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:04 AM, Outlaw said:

Honestly - the majority of the EMB would be the current best option for CB2. (I'd expect McPhearson to beat out time2rock by mid-season, but not until then).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3