Richard Sherman (49ers CB) -- SIGNED WITH TAMPA BAY

SPIDER-MAN

I usually don't throw names out there for the sake of that player simply being "just a name." But since Howie passed on higher ranked corners in the draft, it isn't too crazy to see Sherman in Philly on a one-year deal. His play didn't drop off much in 2020, though a calf injury wiped out most of the season.

We need another starter and if he’s cheap, then I’m not opposed

He doesn't want to play on the east coast for a sheet team. Plus no

I'd rather go with a guy that has even a small chance of sticking for more than a year even though it's probably a stopgap

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He doesn't want to play on the east coast for a sheet team. Plus no

Yeah, I think he's much more likely to return to the Seahawks than to go out of his way to join a rebuilding Eagles team. He's probably not going to entertain any East Coast offers unless it's a Super Bowl contender. 

There's still other free agent options for that CB2 spot that are more realistic and likely more affordable. Steven Nelson and Gareon Conley were mentioned in another thread and both of those guys would fit the bill.

No thank you. I get that we have a desperate need at CB. I get that we need a band aid fix to the position and Sherman is a good player. But he's too old. I'd rather they go with a guy who can at least be here for a couple of years. 

Probably doesn’t want to come here anyway (prefers a contender) plus he won’t come cheap at 33 yrs old.

Take a flyer on Conley and see what Gannon can do with him or pay a steeper price for a more seasoned Nelson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Probably doesn’t want to come here anyway (prefers a contender) plus he won’t come cheap at 33 yrs old.

Take a flyer on Conley and see what Gannon can do with him or pay a steeper price for a more seasoned Nelson.

Agreed. I'm not even sure what Sherman has left at this point. He'll probably want too much against what he can actually bring to a team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wentzman said:

Rather trade for Gilmore from the Pats

No thanks! He's a player the wrong side of 30 and would require giving up assets to get him. I'd actually rather Sherman but ultimately I don't want either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No thanks! He's a player the wrong side of 30 and would require giving up assets to get him. I'd actually rather Sherman but ultimately I don't want either. 

Agreed, trading assets and spending large cap for a player is the worst thing they could do unless that player was projected as 3-yr starter at least. I'd prefer they get a younger player than Sherman but if he were a reasonable 1-yr signing that would at least help Gannon implement his system without a huge hole which would make success nearly impossible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Agreed, trading assets and spending large cap for a player is the worst thing they could do unless that player was projected as 3-yr starter at least. I'd prefer they get a younger player than Sherman but if he were a reasonable 1-yr signing that would at least help Gannon implement his system without a huge hole which would make success nearly impossible

Absolutely. In a years time if they think they may be on to something with this team (and I think that'll be too early but look what happened in 2017) then sure make those moves. But not now. 

• Like 1

Absolutely not. This team is trying to get YOUNGER. Why sign a 33 year old CB? They aren’t competing this year, so no sense in even doing a one year deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nipples said:

Absolutely not. This team is trying to get YOUNGER. Why sign a 33 year old CB? They aren’t competing this year, so no sense in even doing a one year deal. 

I can see the sense in an older band aid but only a very cheap one. Sherman is not going to be cheap. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can see the sense in an older band aid but only a very cheap one. Sherman is not going to be cheap. 

I just see them being bad again this year. I’d rather they try out young guys and see if any stick. It makes more sense to try guys who might actually be a part of the future than to sign aging vets to help them maybe win two more games. 

5 hours ago, nipples said:

I just see them being bad again this year. I’d rather they try out young guys and see if any stick. It makes more sense to try guys who might actually be a part of the future than to sign aging vets to help them maybe win two more games. 

I agree for the most part but I do think they should benefit from having an experienced guy along with Slay.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree for the most part but I do think they should benefit from having an experienced guy along with Slay.

Agree again for the most part. I just think if you have a really weak young guy then you will undermine what Gannon is trying to implement and that will hurt the development of the D for the following season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Agree again for the most part. I just think if you have a really weak young guy then you will undermine what Gannon is trying to implement and that will hurt the development of the D for the following season.

My first inclination is to agree with nipples ... in a season that surely isn’t going anywhere yet I’d like to get a more thorough evaluation of the younger guys we have here that potentially could be longer term fixtures (hard to make any kind of evaluation from having played in Schwartz’s scheme which was pretty much unfriendly to DBs).  But you do make a good point ... I’m on the fence with this one.  I suppose best case scenario is that McPhearson plays well enough to beat out the competition but I also don’t think that is very realistic.  Perhaps playing behind a seasoned vet signed to a 1 year deal would benefit him (and other young DBs).  Plus if that vet signs a pretty decent deal elsewhere after the season it could set us up with one of those precious comp picks!  :P

I’d still prefer someone like Nelson to Sherman. 

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I think if you can go with a young guy that has a reasonable chance of at least holding his own then that's the best case scenario.

4 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Correct... But guess what? Maddox is a weak outside corner. McPhearson is an unknown. I would rather an average known quantity so we could assess Gannon.

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

My first inclination is to agree with nipples ... in a season that surely isn’t going anywhere yet I’d like to get a more thorough evaluation of the younger guys we have here that potentially could be longer term fixtures (hard to make any kind of evaluation from having played in Schwartz’s scheme which was pretty much unfriendly to DBs).  But you do make a good point ... I’m on the fence with this one.  I suppose best case scenario is that McPhearson plays well enough to beat out the competition but I also don’t think that is very realistic.  Perhaps playing behind a seasoned vet signed to a 1 year deal would benefit him (and other young DBs).  Plus if that vet signs a pretty decent deal elsewhere after the season it could set us up with one of those precious comp picks!  :P

21 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah I think if you can go with a young guy that has a reasonable chance of at least holding his own then that's the best case scenario.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Correct... But guess what? Maddox is a weak outside corner. McPhearson is an unknown. I would rather an average known quantity so we could assess Gannon.

Schwartz's scheme did make life hard work for the corners at the time, but we simply don't have any young talent there (with the exception of maybe McPhearson). It's clear that Maddox really struggles on the outside and I don't think he would be a fit for what Gannon wants on the outside. McPhearson has some promise, but relying on a rookie 4th rounder to start at corner? Crazy. The rest of them are scrubs who wouldn't make most teams' practice squads.

So yeah - we need to bring somebody in, even if it's just a Jalen Mills equivalent. Not only to evaluate Gannon, but also to stop what happened in the Dallas/Arizona games where basically Hurts was playing desperate catch-up and the D couldn't get a stop. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Dude probably has CTE and should retire

Sherman is going to cost a lot more than other guys available and is a 1-2 year band aid at best. We aren’t going to compete during that time for a sb so why not keep the cap in case a younger piece becomes available or you need to sign one of your own?

pass on Sherman 

On 7/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, What The F said:

Dude couldnt tackle a door. 

Door might give him a concussion