Daniel Jeremiah Evaluation of the Eagles draft

Traveler Vic

7 minutes ago, vaff said:

It means that you don’t draft inferior players just to fill a need. If you think Dickerson is better than Asante Samuel Jr... draft Dickerson.

You mean Brian Baldinger? You’ve never heard of him?

Drafting according to your board is fine but at some point position comes into play. If two players are close in grade positional needs should be considered. Can’t keep taking DT every pick. That’s how the team gets to be where they are with lack of talent at LB and secondary. 

4 minutes ago, kentwo said:

Drafting according to your board is fine but at some point position comes into play. If two players are close in grade positional needs should be considered. Can’t keep taking DT every pick. That’s how the team gets to be where they are with lack of talent at LB and secondary. 

We have a lack of talent more because we’ve been drafting for need, imo. Like selecting Davion Taylor last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vaff said:

We have a lack of talent more because we’ve been drafting for need, imo. Like selecting Davion Taylor last year.

That pick was an example of Howie going off script and not collaborating with the scouting department. 

1 minute ago, kentwo said:

That pick was an example of Howie going off script and not collaborating with the scouting department. 

Probably. Howie even admitted he did that. Thankfully, by most accounts he didn’t do that this year. Although, crybaby Tom Donahoe didn’t help the perception.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vaff said:

Even this isn’t a complete rip job. It’s not a B, but it’s a C+. Ironically the worst pick for them was the Hurts pick and arguably it could have been the Eagles best decision of that draft considering how things went down with Carson. Even in your examples the Eagles aren’t universally panned for their picks. 

From actually reading the Baldy article on the draft (instead of just glossing over it looking for the Cliff Notes) it seems like at best he's giving them a C.  He pretty much didn't like any of the 3 WR picks and hated the R3 pick of Taylor.  He liked the Hurts and Wallace picks and was basically OK with the rest.  So you can look at that like 4 grades of D or worse, 2 grades of B+ to A and the rest are somewhere around C to B-.  Overall, a C at best, maybe C-.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even this isn’t a complete rip job. It’s not a B, but it’s a C+. Ironically the worst pick for them was the Hurts pick and arguably it could have been the Eagles best decision of that draft considering how things went down with Carson. Even in your examples the Eagles aren’t universally panned for their picks. 

Ok, they weren’t "universally panned” over the draft. Regardless, I think the perception this year is a fair bit more positive.

Both of the guys I linked had much better things to say this year, imo.

4 minutes ago, vaff said:

Ok, they weren’t "universally panned” over the draft. Regardless, I think the perception this year is a fair bit more positive.

Both of the guys I linked had much better things to say this year, imo.

I do think the Hurts pick threw everyone off last year, because it was really difficult to justify especially at that moment. Some people weren’t big on the Reager pick, but some liked it too. Overall a lot of people were positive about this draft, but a lot of people were positive about the Sidney Jones draft too. My point is we need to see these guys out on the field, because draft pundits can be wrong. The same type of people giving Howie positive remarks for this draft are also the same people saying he’s been horrible at drafting for the past 3-5 years, BUT haven’t given him failing grades in those drafts. I just hope he’s right this time.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I do think the Hurts pick threw everyone off last year, because it was really difficult to justify especially at that moment. Some people weren’t big on the Reager pick, but some liked it too. Overall a lot of people were positive about this draft, but a lot of people were positive about the Sidney Jones draft too. My point is we need to see these guys out on the field, because draft pundits can be wrong. The same type of people giving Howie positive remarks for this draft are also the same people saying he’s been horrible at drafting for the past 3-5 years, BUT haven’t given him failing grades in those drafts. I just hope he’s right this time.

Of course. Draft grades are meaningless. Would make a lot more sense to wait 2-3 years to grade a draft. But people love their hot takes and instant gratification.

It doesn’t mean anything, but I do think the universal attitude is a bit more positive immediately afterwards than it has been the last couple of years, though.

1 minute ago, vaff said:

Of course. Draft grades are meaningless. Would make a lot more sense to wait 2-3 years to grade a draft. But people love their hot takes and instant gratification.

It doesn’t mean anything, but I do think the universal attitude is a bit more positive immediately afterwards than it has been the last couple of years, though.

I saw someone gave the JJAW pick a B+. 😂 I guess at the time people thought it was a decent choice. I think the idea that Howie got Smith and a first for basically a 3rd automatically gives the Eagles a positive grade. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I saw someone gave the JJAW pick a B+. 😂 I guess at the time people thought it was a decent choice. I think the idea that Howie got Smith and a first for basically a 3rd automatically gives the Eagles a positive grade. 

Yeah, getting a 1st rounder next year and still ending up with Smith was a great job by Howie. I feel good about Smith. Dickerson and Gainwell. Everyone else for me is a TBD.

1 minute ago, vaff said:

Yeah, getting a 1st rounder next year and still ending up with Smith was a great job by Howie. I feel good about Smith. Dickerson and Gainwell. Everyone else for me is a TBD.

I’ll state to Howie’s credit he’s found ways when it seems like he’s on the ropes to bounce back. After being banished he quickly cleaned up Chip Kelly’s mess. It also seems with the draft capital and salary relief he’s made for 2022 he’s probably given himself new life. There’s also rumors the 2022 draft class will be more talented than this one. He’s put himself in a good position to add talent via the draft and via free agency. 2022 could end up being 2017 all over again. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but it seems like every year everyone is loving the Eagles draft picks until the players start playing. At least for the past five years the Eagles early draft grades were at least a B. It’s all good until these guys have to get on the field and prove if they can play. 

This season we will get some insight as to the effect coaching has on these players’ development.  The last 5 years was the Pederson/Schwartz regime, and now we will find out if any of the picks still left make strides or not.

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’ll state to Howie’s credit he’s found ways when it seems like he’s on the ropes to bounce back. After being banished he quickly cleaned up Chip Kelly’s mess. It also seems with the draft capital and salary relief he’s made for 2022 he’s probably given himself new life. There’s also rumors the 2022 draft class will be more talented than this one. He’s put himself in a good position to add talent via the draft and via free agency. 2022 could end up being 2017 all over again. 

Yeah, just needs to not overthink it and follow the guys who are paid to evaluate these players all year.

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

This season we will get some insight as to the effect coaching has on these players’ development.  The last 5 years was the Pederson/Schwartz regime, and now we will find out if any of the picks still left make strides or not.

Honestly we could find ourselves in the same position. We know very little about Sirianni or if his staff can develop players. What we do know is that Howie has been apart of four Eagles coaching changes and for most of that time he had a say in player selections.

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

Yeah, just needs to not overthink it and follow the guys who are paid to evaluate these players all year.

Yeah, but it is Howie we are talking about so I do think it will be difficult for that guy to simply follow the playbook.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah, but it is Howie we are talking about so I do think it will be difficult for that guy to simply follow the playbook.

Possibly. Although, Lurie seems just as involved in that stuff. But it’s Howie’s job to make Lurie realize what he’s doing is not helping.

• Like 1

Just now, vaff said:

Possibly. Although, Lurie seems just as involved in that stuff. But it’s Howie’s job to make Lurie realize what he’s doing is not helping.

😂 No shot Howie dares to challenge the owner. Joe Banner and Lurie were like best friends and now they don’t speak anymore over a disagreement. Lurie can be very loyal until the moment he isn’t and then you’re cut off. Howie has been in the organization a long time now. He knows how to weasel his way around that place. There are some very legit "football people” who came through the Eagles organization and Howie outlasted all of them. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Jeremiah

I see that name, I automatically think:

• Like 2

Jeremiah told Howie what to do on every pick.

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Is It not amazing how wrong evaluations can be. LOL. If it would not be for Hurts pick..we would be picking a  new QB this year. And the fate of the team would be totally different.

Not sure what's the gripe with Dickerson. It's a risk for a massive reward for a position of need. This dude stays healthy he will be a HUGE steal for us. Not holding my breath with our injury luck, but he is a lot more promising than our Jones fail.

Not sure what's the gripe with Dickerson. It's a risk for a massive reward for a position of need. This dude stays healthy he will be a HUGE steal for us. Not holding my breath with our injury luck, but he is a lot more promising than our Jones fail.

19 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I agree that the reward could be massive if he stays healthy. I really do think if he stays healthy he is going to be a Pro Bowl calibre player! But it's a big IF because of the sheer number of season ending injuries he has had at this point. He could prove to be a huge steal but with the 37th pick I think they had too many other pressing needs (and very talented players still on the board) that they could have selected.

On 5/9/2021 at 2:09 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but it seems like every year everyone is loving the Eagles draft picks until the players start playing. At least for the past five years the Eagles early draft grades were at least a B. It’s all good until these guys have to get on the field and prove if they can play. 

I never had any recent drafts as a B.  I've been a drafttnik for 57 years.  They've been horrible and i knew they were horrible in real time as the horror unfolded.  This year was better.  Give it a B, a B+/A-  if the OLman can get and stay healthy, a big if.  They got some nice picks in every round except the 2nd in my opinion.  Sure needed another outside CB in the 2nd/early 3rd.  A safety too.  There's one question asked of players, former players that is my favorite.  It is, "How long does it take to know if a draft pick can play at this level?"  The answer invariably is, "immediately".  It takes players two maybe 3 practices, a week at the most to determine if a kid can play at this level.  Not how good they're going to be, but can they become a player rather quickly.  It won't take long to know if this group can play.  i'm optimistic for once as i think we did well, filled needs and got good value doing it, which is how you evaluate a draft thru the prism of premium positions coming first.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

A massive reward?  At G/C?  We had serious needs in the secondary and there were good, healthy players we could have drafted in that spot.  This dude hasn't stayed healthy 4 of the last 5 seasons in college.  You expect him to do so in the NFL in a 17 game schedule?  

How is he a lot more promising than Jones?  Please tell me.  Did you watch them both play in college?  Or are you just floating that BS out there now, because Jones is no longer an Eagle and Dickerson is?  

Most mock drafts I saw had Dickerson going mid to late second due to the injury risk. I just don't see the value. As you say there were lots of very good, very highly rated players left on the D at that spot and at positions of extreme need.

Could even have traded down 10-12 spots and got that third back if offers were on the table.

• Like 2