Camps Changed a Bit, No Mandatory Camp Now

pgcd3

I really don’t get this but whatever. The on-field product has been putrid over the last few years    but I guess if fans are willing to pay for subpar products, it behooves the players to not further risk injury.

Sucks for a young team with young (literally) coaches. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

I really don’t get this but whatever. The on-field product has been putrid over the last few years    but I guess if fans are willing to pay for subpar products, it behooves the players to not further risk injury.

Getting more players to show up for the voluntary next 3 weeks was more important than getting everyone for a 3 day camp.  Can get more teaching done now.  I agree in general I thought the older players were bullying the younger players from showing at the voluntary camps

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thrive said:

This seems to be part of a league-wide effort to calm things down with the NFLPA.  To your point, the extra teaching time with full attendance by both rookie and veteran players probably outweighs the loss of an OTA. 

• Like 3

As long as most teams follow the same guidelines then it’s a nonissue. I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s fair across the board

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

As long as most teams follow the same guidelines then it’s a nonissue. I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s fair across the board

This is now team by team chaos. I’m sure there will be teams still holding minicamps and regular-way OTAs

1 hour ago, Thrive said:

This is now team by team chaos. I’m sure there will be teams still holding minicamps and regular-way OTAs

I'm not overly concerned. Participation in these weeks is voluntary and this compromise is basically how they got participation higher for the next few weeks which I assume they thought was better than low participation and 3 mandatory days.   Honestly full camp starts the end of July and the real games don't start until September 12 so I don't think missing a few 7-on-7 drills in May or June really impacts much

2 hours ago, Thrive said:

Nah.  It seems like the edict has come down from Park Avenue.  Pretty much every team is adjusting on the fly and it makes sense.  Conditioning, classroom study and some time on the field for walk through work now.  It gets serious when camp opens on July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Nah.  It seems like the edict has come down from Park Avenue.  Pretty much every team is adjusting on the fly and it makes sense.  Conditioning, classroom study and some time on the field for walk through work now.  It gets serious when camp opens on July.

Exactly we got a bunch of 'in my day' people here. This is much ado about little. I'd prefer the rookies and young guys get their time and for the most part they are now.  NFL players have really bad quality of life in later years and they are now playing a 17-gm season.  I can see some logic in wanting reduced contact in the offseason before camp.  Like I said I just think the young guys should get their time

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Exactly we got a bunch of 'in my day' people here. This is much ado about little. I'd prefer the rookies and young guys get their time and for the most part they are now.  NFL players have really bad quality of life in later years and they are now playing a 17-gm season.  I can see some logic in wanting reduced contact in the offseason before camp.  Like I said I just think the young guys should get their time

The more games they add the less practice and voluntary crap these guys are going to want to do. Can't have it both ways. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The more games they add the less practice and voluntary crap these guys are going to want to do. 

And injuries will skyrocket 

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And injuries will skyrocket 

Precisely, adding games is going to be a bigger sheet show at the end of the year then they usually are. That is my opinion of course but, I just think this is going to make the game worse. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Precisely, adding games is going to be a bigger sheet show at the end of the year then they usually are. That is my opinion of course but, I just think this is going to make the game worse. 

I'm very surprised they didn't add a 2nd bye which gives them another TV week. But not adding a bye shows they don't really care much for player safety. It's all window dressing and you've got to worry about how many players will be out for playoffs

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I'm very surprised they didn't add a 2nd bye which gives them another TV week. But not adding a bye shows they don't really care much for player safety. It's all window dressing and you've got to worry about how many players will be out for playoffs

That's my biggest concern and we all know they don't care about the players safety and the players know it too. It's going to be sloppy and meaningless at the end of the season with the exception of a few games that have some playoff seeding. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That's my biggest concern and we all know they don't care about the players safety and the players know it too. It's going to be sloppy and meaningless at the end of the season with the exception of a few games that have some playoff seeding. 

The players agree with that by accepting the big money from the clubs...no problem

The important part of the off season is that the pre season training camp is properly preparing the players for game speed football, I'm convinced our injury issues in Dougs time is because we half assed pre season for 5 years. 

For now give the players a folder or instructional videos on the key offensive and defensive scheme concepts and make sure their all healthy for when the real work starts.

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

They are saving that option for when they go to 18 weeks.

• Like 1

Weakness from Sirianni.

Also major lack of leadership and desire to compete from this teams veteran "leaders". 

15 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Not true. Jets just had voluntary camp with over 80 players showing up. 

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

If they followed my plan from years ago, they would almost have a second bye week without having a second bye week.

After opening weekend, they should not have Thursday night games until week 5, and only teams coming off a bye should play on Thursday.

Then you have 11 days before your Thursday night game and 10 days after it.

51 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Not true. Jets just had voluntary camp with over 80 players showing up. 

That's the point.  All the Eagles veterans showed up as well.  It's happening around the league as teams try to adjust.  It's a work in progress.