Camps Changed a Bit, No Mandatory Camp Now

pgcd3

57 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Weakness from Sirianni.

Also major lack of leadership and desire to compete from this teams veteran "leaders". 

It's not weak, it's smart. Les spells it out here.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-otas-nick-sirianni-nfl-20210518.html

The Eagles’ players, along with other teams, had issued statements indicating veterans would not take part in on-field work this spring, in the wake of the addition of a 17th game to the 2021 schedule.

So now, the veterans have agreed to participate in three weeks of OTA work, which started Tuesday. It will be focused on "fundamentals, schemes and strength and conditioning,” the web site story said. That will be it until training camp -- no mandatory minicamp, no 11-on-11 or seven-on-seven work before late July.

"We had some really good conversations with our players, some of the team leaders, about the offseason program,” Sirianni told the web site. He was not made available to be questioned by reporters covering the team. Sirianni said the discussions were "helpful” and that the new schedule "will allow us to get some really good work in before we hit training camp. I really appreciated those conversations.”

Sirianni said the team is "focusing on the fundamentals, while taking what was learned virtually and getting the reps in person. ... So that’s what our focus is these next three weeks and then we’ll pick back up once we get back for training camp in [late] July.”

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-otas-nick-sirianni-nfl-20210518.html

The Eagles’ players, along with other teams, had issued statements indicating veterans would not take part in on-field work this spring, in the wake of the addition of a 17th game to the 2021 schedule.

So now, the veterans have agreed to participate in three weeks of OTA work, which started Tuesday. It will be focused on "fundamentals, schemes and strength and conditioning,” the web site story said. That will be it until training camp -- no mandatory minicamp, no 11-on-11 or seven-on-seven work before late July.

"We had some really good conversations with our players, some of the team leaders, about the offseason program,” Sirianni told the web site. He was not made available to be questioned by reporters covering the team. Sirianni said the discussions were "helpful” and that the new schedule "will allow us to get some really good work in before we hit training camp. I really appreciated those conversations.”

Sirianni said the team is "focusing on the fundamentals, while taking what was learned virtually and getting the reps in person. ... So that’s what our focus is these next three weeks and then we’ll pick back up once we get back for training camp in [late] July.”

Disgraceful all around. The product is already garbage for the first month of the season so it will be moreso now.  Also the less these players require teams to do with practice during the offseason and training camp and during the season just leads to more injuries because their bodies aren't ready for the punishment. 

On 5/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, pgcd3 said:

I'm very surprised they didn't add a 2nd bye which gives them another TV week. But not adding a bye shows they don't really care much for player safety. It's all window dressing and you've got to worry about how many players will be out for playoffs

A second bye week would seem to be to everyone's advantage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I will keep it more simple on why its smart. 

It comes down to who wants it more? Any player who wants to be part of this team, wants to learn, and become a better player will show up for camp. This really is a mind game. I don't care if you are a Vet or a rookie, with a new coach everyone should want to get the work in. Learn the new system, get on page with the rest of your team. Those who don;t show tells me and the coaching staff they are not looking to improve this team. In the end those players i don;t see here in the long future. So even though its not mandatory, unless you are injured you should be at the camps. 

16 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Disgraceful all around. The product is already garbage for the first month of the season so it will be moreso now.  Also the less these players require teams to do with practice during the offseason and training camp and during the season just leads to more injuries because their bodies aren't ready for the punishment. 

What you do or do not do physically in May does not factor into where you are in September. Now with training camp, I agree with you, these teams need more practice not less.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:11 AM, RememberTheKoy said:

Weakness from Sirianni.

Also major lack of leadership and desire to compete from this teams veteran "leaders". 

If I recall correctly, Siri had planned a more interactive/physical camp, but changed it after meeting with the team's leaders to a longer, but more virtual session.

The fact that he had to change things after meeting with his players is worrisome. Either, he lacked understanding, empathy, vision in the first place or he is a push over with the players.

• Haha 1

How much camp could a camp scheduler schedule, if a camp scheduler could schedule camp? - Woodchucks want to know.

• Haha 1

He didn't change it to something virtual.  The players are almost all there and learning on the field. He got them to show up for 3 weeks and sacrificed a 3-day camp and a few drills.  That's fine with me. Ultimately just having them learning the system is what's important and honestly this is all much ado about little

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

He didn't change it to something virtual.  The players are almost all there and learning on the field. He got them to show up for 3 weeks and sacrificed a 3-day camp and a few drills.  That's fine with me. Ultimately just having them learning the system is what's important and honestly this is all much ado about little

Shhhh, let them think they know exactly what is going on behind closed doors 

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Shhhh, let them think they know exactly what is going on behind closed doors 

Seems like some people try to paint Sirriani as Goober from Mayberry.  He's a coaching lifer from a young age and has been coaching NFL players for years as a coordinator.  From the accounts I heard he hasn't been shy to point out mistakes and get on players a bit.  

On 5/20/2021 at 9:00 AM, DeathByEagle said:

I will keep it more simple on why its smart. 

It comes down to who wants it more? Any player who wants to be part of this team, wants to learn, and become a better player will show up for camp. This really is a mind game. I don't care if you are a Vet or a rookie, with a new coach everyone should want to get the work in. Learn the new system, get on page with the rest of your team. Those who don;t show tells me and the coaching staff they are not looking to improve this team. In the end those players i don;t see here in the long future. So even though its not mandatory, unless you are injured you should be at the camps. 

Agreed and that appears to be what’s happening around the league.  Teams are wisely listening to their players and adjusting accordingly,  pretty much ensuring full attendance.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Agreed and that appears to be what’s happening around the league.  Teams are wisely listening to their players and adjusting accordingly,  pretty much ensuring full attendance.

Exactly, originally I thought the players were wrong but once I learned they just wanted to cut back on some physicality in May/june camps I agreed with their stance.  They have a 17-gm season now and are in physical camp from the end of July until the season starts Sept 12. These early camps should be mostly mental and light physical exercises 

• Like 2

I can see it from the player's perspective. 

You have a short shelf life in the NFL---average of 3 years.  Now 17 games a season.

If you want to make it to a payday you have to pace yourself physically.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, eglz1 said:

A second bye week would seem to be to everyone's advantage.

Totally agree. Football will be sloppy for the first weeks as players and coaches will not want to risk too many injuries with lots of hits and hard tackles.

Good news for fans is that it should be a high scoring first few weeks as defenses get used to tackling again.

6 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Totally agree. Football will be sloppy for the first weeks as players and coaches will not want to risk too many injuries with lots of hits and hard tackles.

Good news for fans is that it should be a high scoring first few weeks as defenses get used to tackling again.

They still have a full training camp and 3 preseason games.  It's always a little sloppy early but I don't think this new setup will be much different in that regard

• Like 2