Time to Retire #12

Procus

38 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Randall wasn’t the prima donna DMAC was?   Are you insane?  Dude actually branded coming back from injury.  You might want to see the special that was done about him on the NFLN.  And yes.  He was not a winner!!    Dude failed in the postseason a lot more than McNabb. 

Yawn.

Like I said, DMac does zilch without Andy Reid as his head coach.  Could you possibly see DMac winning a playoff game with Rich Kotite as head coach?  I can't. 

When McNabb left Philly, his career went in the toilet.  When Randall left Philly, he QB'd a 15-1 team that was a Gary Anderson miss away from getting to and probably winning the SB.

• Like 1

I loved Randall but No, I would not retire his number. Very good player but as mentioned the lack of a good OC hurt his game in Philly. Now if we had the Randall that played in Minny while he was in Philly there might be a better case for it. He had a great set of recs there with a nice run game behind it. Randall could actually be a QB on that team. Had his best years of his career there I felt. 

I was fine with McNabb his first few years but once he wanted to be a pocket QB it hurt his game even more. He always had accuracy issues throwing to the dirt but it was worse when he wanted to change his game that made him successful. I will say McNabb played more then any other QB in Eagles history, longer then he should have so its no surprise he holds all the records. I personally would have never retired his number 5 either. i was there for his retirement game and speech. Still have the lanyard in our video game room. Number 5 will always love my butt. 

In my opinion, it should have been retires long ago... and 5 shouldn't have been at all. The situation is the reverse of what it should be (to me). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When McNabb left Philly his career was over and 34.  Randall was rested more rejuvenated with a great offense and receivers in Minny.  Randall was a prima donna in Philly and McNabb was the better QB for the Eagles. You can yawn all you want.  Doesn’t make you right.  

It took no other teams wanting Cunningham after the Eagles for him to retire and then wake the hell up and realize he better take to coaching or his career is over. The guy said so himself but, no one wants to hear it  

• Thanks 1

QB Norm Van Brocklin is in the Hall of Fame. Played for Eagles for 3 years, including pre merger NFL championship. #11 is not retired.

They will probably retire the Jalen Hurts #1 jersey, while he is still playing. He’s that good.

3 hours ago, Procus said:

It was attitude.  Randall never had the coaching that DMac had.  If DMac had Buddy Ryan and Rich Kotite as his head coaches, he would not have won a single playoff game.  Randall also wasn't the prima donna that DMac was.

And for the guy that said Randall was not a winner, Eagles were 63-43-1 in games he started. 

Randall wasn’t a prima donna compared to McNabb. Wow. Now I have heard it all. 

• Like 1

Why would the Eagles retire the number of a guy who couldn’t even be bothered to learn the playbook, and held an historically great defense back from winning a title?

If I were Lurie I’d have given Cunningham’s number to a f’n punter — a long time ago

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It took no other teams wanting Cunningham after the Eagles for him to retire and then wake the hell up and realize he better take to coaching or his career is over. The guy said so himself but, no one wants to hear it  

There's no right or wrong answer to the question of whether the Eagles should retire # 12.  Ultimately, the criteria for retiring a number varies from team to team.  Here's an interesting quote I found:  "With some common sense and critical thinking, you can infer that numbers are typically retired for players with especially memorable careers, or for team members who have passed away. https://www.sporcle.com/blog/2019/04/why-do-numbers-get-retired-in-sports/

In large part, arguments against retiring the number are that Cunningham never achieved much in the playoffs or otherwise took the team far.  That is true.  But others, like myself, argue for retirement for the reason that Cunningham had an especially memorable career.  Even his detractors will have to admit that RC was one of a kind and an electrifying, exciting player to watch.   Neither position is right or wrong.  It's just a matter of opinion.  But from where I'm sitting, there will never be another Randall Cunningham again.

• Like 1

I think Na Brown wore it in camp his rookie year

9 hours ago, vikas83 said:

McNabb's number is retired despite not being in the HOF.

Much rather see 12 retired than 5

15 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Revisionist history.  McNabb is more recent.  Everyone forgets how immature and weak Randall was.  Most of the Randall guys were probably too young to even watch him play.  

I watched Randall play, he was a different guy and a different player.

He's the reason I became an eagles fan.

I'll always Maintain he's the most talented qb the eagles have ever had.

Does that equal best? Debatable.

Randall never had an o line or much of a running game.

Only time he had a 1000 yard back was in 92 a  30 year old Herschel Walker.

Coincidentally Randall won his first playoff game that year, oddly with  Heath Sherman rushing for 100+ against the saints.

Randall never had a pro bowl O lineman or even close To pro bowl level OL.

Under Buddy Ryan Randall was told to make 5 big plays a game to win, for 4 years under Buddy Randall pretty much played backyard ball, one can say Randall didn't take to coaching and I'd say what coaching??? 

It didn't get better with kotite who wanted Randall to be a drop back stay in the pocket qb and even worse when Rhodes tried to make Randall a west coast qb.

Sure retiring humbled Randall as did age and experience.

In Minnesota he had a running game, had an Oline had 3 really good receivers and more importantly had an offensive minded coach and a real OC, and Randall was at a point in his career where he took to coaching once he actually had some.

Despite all Randall had going against him in Philly he was still able to win a lot of games and put up some pretty good numbers.

Had mcnabb been with Buddy and Kotite and Randall with Reid I think Randall does better or as well with Reid as mcnabb did and mcnabb not as well with Buddy or Kotite 

That's just how I feel.

As for his number being retired??? 

I think retiring numbers is kind of stupid in any sport, the ring of honor is good enough.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:03 PM, Procus said:

The Eagles haven't handed out #12 to any player since Randall left the team, but the number hasn't been retired yet either.  The man was an electrifying revolutionary force in the game who was breathtaking to watch and who largely hasn't been duplicated since in many respects.  He was an exciting constant here for 10 years and helped stoke up interest in the Eagles to a rabid level.  To top it off, he was a fun guy and a likable guy.

In my book - time to retire # 12 officially.  Randall deserves this.

Should Eagles Allow Smith To Wear Cunningham's Number 12 Jersey? - GCOBB.COM

While I agree, I don't think his number will be retired because football ignorant Lurie believed Ray Rhodes and Jon Gruden when they used Randall as a scapegoat for their ineptness.

"Well, we'll see" was the the reply Lurie gave when questioned about renewing Randall's last contract with the Eagles.  The contract wasn't renewed and Randall went on to torch the league under Dennis Green, aka, a competent coach.

Had it not been for a missed chip shot FG in the NFC Championship game the Vikes probably would have won their first and only SB

On 5/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, time2rock said:

I don't know, I'm pretty much against retiring numbers ... I think there are other ways to honor a player.  Eventually you are going to be limited with the amount of numbers available.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Wanting to retire a guys number who has 1 playoff win with the team in 12 years is the most TATE/Hoagie mouth/Eagle take of all time.

Not unheard of... 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting story growing up Randell was a big deal my aunt was going to art school at the time and I talked her into painting me a Jersey funny thing is though while doing so she was looking at her soccer jersey and ended up painting #10 instead 

3 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Ahh yes, lets compare a 14 time pro bowler, 2 time DPOY(maybe 3, I forget) 13 time All Pro, 2nd in all time sacks, first ballot hall of famer to Randell... who essentially did nothing. 

I wouldn't say that Randall did nothing, but I wasn't really comparing them. Just showing that a retired jersey was there for a player who only played 8 years and only won 1 playoff game.

Playoff wins and losses are a team accomplishment/failure, though. Not an individual players accomplishment/failure. So that shouldn't be taken into account.

There's one retired for a player who played even fewer games and won even fewer playoff games as well, but I didn't include him when I posted Reggie's picture because there were 'special circumstances' involved. 

gettyimages-283744.jpg

(I didn't really think that 99 should have been retired, though I understood/understand why it was)

21 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So, now you've compared one of the greatest DL's EVER. A monster of DE who died way tooo early and a guy who was pretty fun to watch.

got it. 

Lighten up, Francis. Nobody's comparing anyone to anyone else. It's just a couple of comments about other retired jerseys that either never won a playoff game or only won one playoff game as Eagles. That was your original criteria, not mine.

So using your original criteria about playoff wins, the point of the comments were that playoff wins are team a function (players and coaches alike), not one of the individual players. 

• Haha 1

I’m too young to remember RC playing for the Eagles but eh... I don’t like retiring any number, let alone a QB who really didn’t win much. 

On 5/18/2021 at 11:03 PM, Procus said:

The Eagles haven't handed out #12 to any player since Randall left the team, but the number hasn't been retired yet either.  The man was an electrifying revolutionary force in the game who was breathtaking to watch and who largely hasn't been duplicated since in many respects.  He was an exciting constant here for 10 years and helped stoke up interest in the Eagles to a rabid level.  To top it off, he was a fun guy and a likable guy.

In my book - time to retire # 12 officially.  Randall deserves this.

Should Eagles Allow Smith To Wear Cunningham's Number 12 Jersey? - GCOBB.COM

He's in my Top 3 Eagles QB of all time.

Foles,
Randall
McNabb.

• Like 1

Randall the reason why it all began for me in regards to Football.  Too bad for Buddy Ryan..

He’s the reason I became an Eagles fan back in the 80’s. Retire  #12!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're gonna retire a number, it's Nick Foles #9. 

Nah. Randall was all hype and never won anything. Look at his numbers with the Eagles very average and those Eagles teams weren’t good. I’d retire Nick Foles#9 quicker than #12. At least he won us that glorious SB. 

People calling Randall average are morons and obviously never saw him play. The man was the league MVP in 1990 and 1998. He always beat the Giants and played in the NFC East when Dallas, Giants, and Redskins were all good. He usually went 10-6 or 11-5 as a QB here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1