The Eagles should sign Steven Nelson

time2rock

The Eagles should sign Steven Nelson

Slowly but surely the Eagles are starting to put together what could end up being a pretty good defense.

First they signed Anthony Harris to fill a need at safety. Then signed Eric Wilson to fill a need at linebacker. On Monday they added depth to their defensive line by adding Ryan Kerrigan.

Now, almost without question, the biggest need on their defense is a cornerback to start opposite Darius Slay.

How can they fill that need?

Signing Steven Nelson.

Nelson, 28-years old, is currently the best free-agent cornerback on the market, and in many ways the Eagles last real chance at solving the position without making a trade.

The 5-foot-11, 194 pound cornerback has played in 82 games in his career, starting 68, totaling 253 tackles, 53 pass deflections, and seven interceptions. Although he has spent some time lined up as the nickel cornerback, Nelson has spent the majority of his time on the outside, which is exactly where the Eagles need help.

Why Nelson remains unsigned isn’t clear. He did have a bit of a down year in 2020, but Pro Football Focus still had Nelson as the 27th best coverage cornerback in the NFL, which was actually 13 spots higher than they had Darius Slay (40th).

In 2019, however, Nelson showed the kind of lockdown corner he can be. Nelson allowed only 37 catches for 491 yards and zero touchdowns in 2019, giving up a passer rating of just 65.8 when targeted.  He finished the 2019 season as the 11th best coverage corner in the NFL, per PFF, and is the 11th best cornerback overall since 2019 (including 2020).

One of Nelson’s best qualities, in addition to his durability, his is ability to stay close to his receiver. At one point in 2019 Nelson had a "burn rate” of 0%, meaning at no point in the first 12 weeks of that season did a receiver have more than five yards of separation on him. He was considered the best cornerback in the NFL in 2018 at sticking with the receiver he was covering. His ability to maintain tight coverage is why he has never allowed a 60% or higher completion percentage when being targeted in season throughout his entire career.

In fact, there is an argument to be made that Nelson would step onto the Eagles and be the best cornerback on the roster, even over Slay. Together, the duo would give the Eagles one of the better set of starting cornerbacks in the NFL.

Nelson would not only step right in and give the Eagles a very good starting corner to pair with Slay, but he would also allow Avonte Maddox to move inside as the nickel cornerback, a role he has played well in. The signing would also take pressure off of rookie Zac McPhearson, the team’s fourth-round pick that might be forced into starting if the team doesn’t make a move at cornerback.

It is possible the Eagles could still find a quality option at cornerback if they pass on Nelson — but it certainly won’t be easy, and the longer they wait, the price to sign him is only going to go up.

The addition of Nelson could turn the Eagles’ defense into a top-10 unit in 2021. They already have a strong defensive line, and with the additions of Wilson and Harris, have improved at two spots in the back seven.

Adding Nelson to start opposite Slay would fill the last glaring hole on their defense and give defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon more than enough talent to work with next season.

It could also, if the defense plays up to its potential, turn the Eagles into a contender for the division not many think they can be.

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/the-eagles-should-sign-steven-nelson?fbclid=IwAR2UABFi8fJSPd6V6yJu1WVR-j5prNHDsi8r_aRBwemBbkd4NmJYmQPko_A

• Like 1

Nelson would be a tremendous addition to the back end of the defense, even if they only sign him to a 1 year deal and are unable to extend him at season's end.  I can only guess he remains unsigned due to his asking price - teams are in a difficult spot with the reduced cap due to the pandemic and are unable to pay players as much as they normally would be able to.  I'd further guess even if he lowers his asking price other teams would be able to pay him more than we could (although we will see $4M added to the cap in 2 weeks due to using the post June 1 designations on Jeffery and MJackson).  It would probably be in his best interest to sign a 1 year prove it deal and take advantage of what is expected to be a much better cap situation next year, and Philly probably offers him the best situation as he'd pretty much be a lock to start opposite Slay (there is no one on the roster that would be likely to beat him out of that spot).  

• Like 1

I actually think if they sign Nelson they could be play off contenders in this division. 

• Like 2

We will see after June 1st!  I like the idea of signing Nelson to a 1 year deal.  If they do, I'm actually starting to like the Eagles' chances of competing this year if the coaching staff can soften the learning curve of implementing new systems.  If our OL and DL can remain healthy along with Hurts taking a step forward, we could have a surprise season.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

We will see after June 1st!  I like the idea of signing Nelson to a 1 year deal.  If they do, I'm actually starting to like the Eagles' chances of competing this year if the coaching staff can soften the learning curve of implementing new systems.  If our OL and DL can remain healthy along with Hurts taking a step forward, we could have a surprise season.

Even if we manage to be on the brink of competing it will be a successful season.  I'm just looking for growth overall on both sides of the ball as they all get acclimated to the new schemes and develop chemistry playing together.  If this team looks like it is on an upward trajectory by season's end, it will be a huge step forward.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Even if we manage to be on the brink of competing it will be a successful season.  I'm just looking for growth overall on both sides of the ball as they all get acclimated to the new schemes and develop chemistry playing together.  If this team looks like it is on an upward trajectory by season's end, it will be a huge step forward.  

Agreed. If they can show growth (and Hurts can play at a good level) then imagine what this team could be in a couple of years!

• Like 1

A team weakness could instantly become a strength. We would match up surprisingly well with the best wideouts in the division with the addition of Nelson.

The only thing that would hold us back at that point is the injury bug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

A team weakness could instantly become a strength. We would match up surprisingly well with the best wideouts in the division with the addition of Nelson.

The only thing that would hold us back at that point is the injury bug.

Agreed. Slay and Nelson could be one of the better CB duos in the NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. Slay and Nelson could be one of the better CB duos in the NFL. 

God we haven’t had that caliber of starting CB tandem since Samuel and Brown (2009).  And the year prior was the last time they played with Dawk and Mikell.  That as an all around strong secondary.  Having added Harris and if McLeod bounces back to form after that ACL, if we add Nelson we’d be as close to that as you can get .... FINALLY!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

God we haven’t had that caliber of starting CB tandem since Samuel and Brown (2009).  And the year prior was the last time they played with Dawk and Mikell.  That as an all around strong secondary.  Having added Harris and if McLeod bounces back to form after that ACL, if we add Nelson we’d be as close to that as you can get .... FINALLY!

Wow, yeah. And while I like to rag on Howie, this is where he shines. He just needs to stay the hell out of the draft room.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

As things stand I think they have some pieces on defense and could be solid. But that CB #2 is a major issue and teams are going to go after that. If they address that though then I do think this team has a chance to be OK this year. 

On 5/19/2021 at 2:17 PM, time2rock said:

Nelson would be a tremendous addition to the back end of the defense, even if they only sign him to a 1 year deal and are unable to extend him at season's end.  I can only guess he remains unsigned due to his asking price - teams are in a difficult spot with the reduced cap due to the pandemic and are unable to pay players as much as they normally would be able to.  I'd further guess even if he lowers his asking price other teams would be able to pay him more than we could (although we will see $4M added to the cap in 2 weeks due to using the post June 1 designations on Jeffery and MJackson).  It would probably be in his best interest to sign a 1 year prove it deal and take advantage of what is expected to be a much better cap situation next year, and Philly probably offers him the best situation as he'd pretty much be a lock to start opposite Slay (there is no one on the roster that would be likely to beat him out of that spot).  

On 5/21/2021 at 7:41 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I actually think if they sign Nelson they could be play off contenders in this division. 

Reckon Parks reads the EMB - this is after @pgcd3 Tweet to bring Nelson's price down, my Steven Nelson thread and time2rock admitting that he may be getting a bit old to handle CB2 duties all by himself.

But I agree, if they get Nelson then they have a potentially competitive team, obviously if Hurts and the new coaching staff produce.

27 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Reckon Parks reads the EMB - this is after @pgcd3 Tweet to bring Nelson's price down, my Steven Nelson thread and time2rock admitting that he may be getting a bit old to handle CB2 duties all by himself.

But I agree, if they get Nelson then they have a potentially competitive team, obviously if Hurts and the new coaching staff produce.

Hey!  I never said that.  I was insinuating I welcome the competition!  I have enough confidence in myself to know I’ll win.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hey!  I never said that.  I was insinuating I welcome the competition!  I have enough confidence in myself to know I’ll win.  :lol:

And here I didn't think :smoke: was legal in PA

• Haha 1

If we can afford him, he would be a tremendous addition! And we would have addressed every position in need. Howie would have redeemed himself. And it will all come down to the coaches.

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

If we can afford him, he would be a tremendous addition! And we would have addressed every position in need. Howie would have redeemed himself. And it will all come down to the coaches.

Howie usually attempts to address all the positions of need.  It comes down to him being right or not which he unfortunately has not been very often

• Like 1