Eagles showing interest in former Seahawks LB KJ Wright

Procus

Honestly, I can wrap my arms around this rumor much more than the Julio Jones nonsense being floated around to drive up his trade value.

https://thelibertyline.com/2021/05/30/rumor-eagles-seahawks-linebacker/

Rumor: Eagles showing interest in longtime Seahawks linebacker

May 30, 2021
Linebacker

The Eric Wilson signing will help the Eagles’ defense over the middle, but they could still use some more help at linebacker. According to recent reports, former Seahawks linebacker KJ Wright has garnered interest from the Colts, Dolphins, Rams, Packers, and Eagles.

The 31-year-old has spent his entire career with Seattle and has adapted his game well, moving from the "WILL” to the "SAM” linebacker position. Wright put together a strong season for the Seahawks in 2020:

• 86 total tackles (11 for loss)
  • 10 passes defended
  • 2 sacks
  • One INT
  • 2 forced fumbles (one recovery)

With Seattle drafting Jordyn Brooks in the first round of the 2020 draft, Wright doesn’t appear to be in the team’s plans moving forward. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll was asked about possibly bringing Wright back, and he indicated that the team has no future moves planned at this time:

"The door is still open for players. We’re still working on figuring out the roster and how it’s going to go. But K.J. is OK at this point, he’s doing fine, and if we get a chance to call on him, we’ll go after it and see if we can put something together.”

The Eagles allowed 79 catches for 834 yards and 9 TDs to opposing tight ends last season. They rectified some of that problem by parting ways with Nate Gerry, and adding a veteran in KJ Wright would be beneficial for the development of TJ Edwards and Alex Singleton.

• Like 2

Signing both Wilson and Wright in free agency?  That would surely seem to indicate they want to give Gannon whatever he needs to succeed which further seems to suggest a bit of a change in philosophy as it relates to priority placed on LB.  Somebody pinch me.  

• Like 4

Still have no idea what kind of scheme gannon is going to run, but wright would fit into a 43 under seeing as he's played in it his whole career.

48 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Signing both Wilson and Wright in free agency?  That would surely seek to indicate they want to give Gannon whatever he needs to succeed which further seems to suggest a bit of a change in philosophy as it relates to priority placed on LB.  Somebody pinch me.  

After watching Lavonte David and Devin White tear it up in the SB, anyone who thinks LBs don't make a difference should have their head examined.

I really hope there is a shift in philosophy here. We've neglected the LB position for way too long.

• Like 3

I mean look if they can get him for a reasonable price then sure I'm for it. Wright would absolutely give this D something and would signify that this team is ready to listen to Gannon and go give him the D he wants. 

5 hours ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

After watching Lavonte David and Devin White tear it up in the SB, anyone who thinks LBs don't make a difference should have their head examined.

I really hope there is a shift in philosophy here. We've neglected the LB position for way too long.

It wasn’t that long ago that we had a decent LB corps.  Bradham, Hicks (a 3rd rd pick), and Kendricks (2nd rd) was solid.  

• Like 5

Nice to see that they are actually putting more emphasis on the LBer position, make it happen Howie.

It's about time the Eagles took the LB position seriously 😂

If they get him it’s probably on another one year prove it type deal. 

Wasn't even aware he was a free agent.  Surprised he hasn't signed anywhere yet if that's the case.  

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

It wasn’t that long ago that we had a decent LB corps.  Bradham, Hicks (a 3rd rd pick), and Kendricks (2nd rd) was solid.  

Emmons, Trotter, Barber
Remember that trio? envy of the league!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyerdog said:

Emmons, Trotter, Barber
Remember that trio? envy of the league!!!

Emmons was a Tom Modrak signing IIRC.  Trotter was a Ray Rhodes draft pick.  Barber signed for a one year audition, played great, and then moved on.

The devaluation of the LB position happened under Reid's watch.

• Like 1

If we get him and Nelson, I’m officially on the "Howie had an amazing off-season” bandwagon.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 8:06 AM, time2rock said:

Signing both Wilson and Wright in free agency?  That would surely seem to indicate they want to give Gannon whatever he needs to succeed which further seems to suggest a bit of a change in philosophy as it relates to priority placed on LB.  Somebody pinch me.  

I sincerely hope Gannon mentioned a starting CB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

If we get him and Nelson, I’m officially on the "Howie had an amazing off-season” bandwagon.

I'll get there too. I don't think it'll happen but if it does then yeah I'll get on board. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Considering the cap situation entering the offseason (either worst in the league or 2nd worse ... I've seen both, with one report stating the Saints were in worse shape), the fact that he managed to become cap compliant prior to the start of the new league year and still manage make what I think are impactful signings in Harris, Wilson, and Kerrigan, that alone qualifies for a pretty darn good offseason.  But Howie has done this previously (2017 when they signed Blount, Robinson, Long, etc.).  It is his drafting that has always made it impossible to say he had an amazing offseason.  Obviously time will tell with this year's class.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Considering the cap situation entering the offseason (either worst in the league or 2nd worse ... I've seen both, with one report stating the Saints were in worse shape), the fact that he managed to become cap compliant prior to the start of the new league year and still manage make what I think are impactful signings in Harris, Wilson, and Kerrigan, that alone qualifies for a pretty darn good offseason.  But Howie has done this previously (2017 when they signed Blount, Robinson, Long, etc.).  It is his drafting that has always made it impossible to say he had an amazing offseason.  Obviously time will tell with this year's class.  

Right and the FA signings looked good other years too and didn't pan out. Proof is always on the field.  Neither Harris now Wilson are slam dunk good players even though I like the signings. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Right and the FA signings looked good other years too and didn't pan out. Proof is always on the field.  Neither Harris now Wilson are slam dunk good players even though I like the signings. 

Agreed.  I've always liked Harris and do think there is a good chance he pans out simply because he will be playing in what is expected to be a similar system.  I like the fact that Howie signed them to 1 year deals - it gives us a chance to evaluate them in our system.  If they play well then we can look to extend them.  If not they sign elsewhere and potentially set us up for a couple comp picks, but my preference would be that they fit in well and are signed beyond 2021 (that is more valuable than a comp pick).  

Back to the Wright rumor. Like the player but at some point I feel like you have to give the players you have an opportunity to play too.  If you keep burying young players then they never develop.  This is a team that should be playing young guys

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

Back to the Wright rumor. Like the player but at some point I feel like you have to give the players you have an opportunity to play too.  If you keep burying young players then they never develop.  This is a team that should be playing young guys

Except at CB2 :P

20 hours ago, Procus said:

Emmons was a Tom Modrak signing IIRC.  Trotter was a Ray Rhodes draft pick.  Barber signed for a one year audition, played great, and then moved on.

The devaluation of the LB position happened under Reid's watch.

oh for sure...and to their credit Reid's crew understood Trotter's value...after Ray Rhodes had called him "The most disappointing draft pick.."
It's just ironic that at one point our LBs were the envy of the league...coupled with a secondary of Dawk, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor...frankly with that defense it's a mystery why those teams never had greater success than they did

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Except at CB2 :P

Yeah in all seriousness you need a vet when you don't really have viable options in house and the options at CB in house are weak.  At LB you have a bunch of different guys with a shot now and Singleton & Wilson will play most of the snaps.  Unless of course the current regime doesn't like Singleton for their scheme