Survivor 41 (No theme/subtitle)

VaBeach_Eagle

25 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

Did Xander definitely not get a vote, or by the time it mattered in the vote reveal to show that it didnt matter and Erica already won? Not receiving a single vote is a little ridiculous, thought he presented his case very strongly. But also am not totally surprised to see Erica win. Would've felt a certain way if I were Xander though, seeing her kinda bask in the glory of winning as much as she was, when he could've pulled the rug out from under her and sent her to make fire which she was pretty **** at. 

I thought I heard Jeff say that Erica got all the rest of the votes. I'm certain that they have producers behind the scenes arranging the order the votes are to be revealed so as to create the greatest drama possible. That's why we always see the ones with only a couple of votes having theirs revealed early in the process. Once one person starts getting a couple in a row, you just know they're getting all the rest.

Also...I think Heather got the worst "edit" in the history of the show. For a player that made the Final Four to be routinely disregarded throughout the story-telling of the entire series, well, that's just terrible.

Also...I wish they'd go back to having only two finalists.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I thought I heard Jeff say that Erica got all the rest of the votes. I'm certain that they have producers behind the scenes arranging the order the votes are to be revealed so as to create the greatest drama possible. That's why we always see the ones with only a couple of votes having theirs revealed early in the process. Once one person starts getting a couple in a row, you just know they're getting all the rest.

Also...I think Heather got the worst "edit" in the history of the show. For a player that made the Final Four to be routinely disregarded throughout the story-telling of the entire series, well, that's just terrible.

Also...I wish they'd go back to having only two finalists.

makes sense w the votes.

yeah, I was shocked to see that Heather was a kinda likable person by the end of the season and not just the floater she was portrayed as. I also had no idea she had such a strong duo relationship with Erica until Deshawn mentioned it in tribal. Bad editing work. 

In the end it was a social game. The producers spent so much time showing the challenges, it was hard to watch it develop. I noticed early on how all the strong challenge players got voted out each week. So in the end the jury was composed of players concentrating on the social game. I'm not surprised they picked Erika. I was more surprised Xander saved her from doing the fire challenge.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I honestly think it’s Ricards game to lose tonight. If he makes it to the end it’s a landslide even against Xander. Other than the epic fake idol pull, Xander has not really been a player in any of the votes.  I think Xander has a hard sell tonight if he makes the final spot.  Honestly, I think Erika has the second best odds based on how she maneuvered to get here tonight. 

Tossed you a like for nailing the prediction, but I disagree with the jury's rationale. I thought Xander played an incredibly gutsy game. He held onto an immunity idol even when he was on the outside of the major alliance on several different occasions. I thought he missed a big opportunity to tout that as a game-changing read for himself. Keeping Ricard as a shield was absolutely fantastic strategy. He also had multiple challenge wins on his resume. As you said, the fake idol thing where he made Shan(?) look like a complete clown when she tried to "steal" it was a great move, too. Probably one of the better examples of outwitting someone in the show's history. He basically perfectly maneuvered all of his extra powers when he was on the outside of the majority alliance all while resisting the temptation of using his idol even when he had the other side actively telling him to use it to try and flush it. 

That said, Xander wouldn't have really been a fitting winner for the theme of Survivor this season, so it does somewhat make sense that Erika blew him out. 

• Like 2

Was really behind and just finished. 

Wow!  He should have been unanimous. Bitter jury again. Sorry she did not have the resume at all. She orchestrated nothing. 

9 hours ago, toolg said:

In the end it was a social game. The producers spent so much time showing the challenges, it was hard to watch it develop. I noticed early on how all the strong challenge players got voted out each week. So in the end the jury was composed of players concentrating on the social game. I'm not surprised they picked Erika. I was more surprised Xander saved her from doing the fire challenge.

This is my biggest gripe with the season. Erika’s win would have been so much better if we could have seen it play out. But in a season of so many twists and advantages we missed out on all of that so we could learn about a new power and then see the players talk about it. But other than the stupid hourglass twist, erika did not get any powers so, as a result, she got less screen time. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, homerpat said:

Was really behind and just finished. 

Wow!  He should have been unanimous. Bitter jury again. Sorry she did not have the resume at all. She orchestrated nothing. 

I actually disagree. She orchestrated the split vote on liana and Shan. Ricard put the plan in motion, but Erika secured enough to go 3-3 to insure if Shan played her idol that Erika didn’t go home as a result. That was her biggest move. She also led the vote out of Danny over deshawn putting her in the drivers seat from then on out.  I also don’t think we got to see her game enough. She took credit for forming the outcast alliance. From the show, it looked like it was ricards idea but she took credit for it at final tribal. Ricard and others called out several things during tribal that weren’t true, if that wasn’t true I’d expect he would have said something. Again, this is my frustration with this season. For weeks they hinted through deshawn and Shan that Erika was a huge strategic threat but they never showed it at all.

5 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I actually disagree. She orchestrated the split vote on liana and Shan. Ricard put the plan in motion, but Erika secured enough to go 3-3 to insure if Shan played her idol that Erika didn’t go home as a result. That was her biggest move. She also led the vote out of Danny over deshawn putting her in the drivers seat from then on out.  I also don’t think we got to see her game enough. She took credit for forming the outcast alliance. From the show, it looked like it was ricards idea but she took credit for it at final tribal. Ricard and others called out several things during tribal that weren’t true, if that wasn’t true I’d expect he would have said something. Again, this is my frustration with this season. For weeks they hinted through deshawn and Shan that Erika was a huge strategic threat but they never showed it at all.

I def think she played well, but even in reunion they discussed all moves xander did. Good on her for winning and surviving being exiled and flipping the game, but why would they edit her so so poorly if she played this brilliant game. They knew how it ended, wouldn’t it serve them to give her hero edit?  Ricard played best game, but wasn’t in final and after him constantly in bottom xander played best IMO

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kz! said:

Tossed you a like for nailing the prediction, but I disagree with the jury's rationale. I thought Xander played an incredibly gutsy game. He held onto an immunity idol even when he was on the outside of the major alliance on several different occasions. I thought he missed a big opportunity to tout that as a game-changing read for himself. Keeping Ricard as a shield was absolutely fantastic strategy. He also had multiple challenge wins on his resume. As you said, the fake idol thing where he made Shan(?) look like a complete clown when she tried to "steal" it was a great move, too. Probably one of the better examples of outwitting someone in the show's history. He basically perfectly maneuvered all of his extra powers when he was on the outside of the majority alliance all while resisting the temptation of using his idol even when he had the other side actively telling him to use it to try and flush it. 

That said, Xander wouldn't have really been a fitting winner for the theme of Survivor this season, so it does somewhat make sense that Erika blew him out. 

Xander was on the wrong side of too many votes and burned bridges in the process. I thought he explained his decisions well, but ultimately after the baller fake ideal move nothing he did other than winning the final challenge influenced the season that much. He burned the other two yasas, he screwed up the two 5 person tribals, he didn’t use his idol in any strategic way, he was on the wrong side of more than half the votes, and even his extra vote was pretty irrelevant. But really, he lost the game when he completely misread the situation with Erika in front of the jury.  He made a terrible read, doubled down on it, and it turned much of the jury off. 

To be fair to Xander, he was playing from the bottom most of the season and had to do what he had to do to get to the end. But it really hurt his narrative.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:15 PM, homerpat said:

I def think she played well, but even in reunion they discussed all moves xander did. Good on her for winning and surviving being exiled and flipping the game, but why would they edit her so so poorly if she played this brilliant game. They knew how it ended, wouldn’t it serve them to give her hero edit?  Richard played best game, but wasn’t in final and after him constantly in bottom xander played best IMO

One reason, lack of advantages. In a season full of advantages she had few and so she got less by default. Second, she’s not a huge personality so she got swallowed up by bigger personalities like Shan and Ricard.  Finally, the editors have picked up on the fact that the audience can predict hero edits pretty quickly so they try not to use it to keep the show unpredictable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

One reason, lack of advantages. In a season full of advantages she had few and so she got less by default. Second, she’s not a huge personality so she got swallowed up by bigger personalities like Shan and Ricard.  Finally, the editors have picked up on the fact that the audience can predict hero edits pretty quickly so they try not to use it to keep the show predictable. 

I suppose we have to make assumptions on her role and accept that she really was the mastermind. One thing I saw everywhere was that she was always in right side of vote. You know who else was.  Heather. Guess if she went to 3 instead she’d be the clear winner for same reasons. 

Truth is she got on awesome tribe pre merge. got stuck on outs and formed alliance with underdogs and benefited by Ricard flipping. Xander was under attack since day one with known idol. Issue is this cast feared idols too much and could have easily fished his out and voted him out, but didn’t and the edits made it seem as if everyone truly cared for him, which they clearly didn’t. Just don’t understand the edit even a little. Admittedly, I appreciate challenge winners who can avoid elimination and put more stock on final challenge winners most seasons. If you’re a mastermind, I typically want to see flashy examples. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, Gern Blanston said:

My order of preference/figuring...

Xander -  Least annoying, played a good game, slam dunk winner if he makes final vote.

Ricard - Annoying, but can acknowledge he played a great game, if Xander is gone its an easy layup.

<steep drop>

Nightmare upset scenario if Xander and Ricard are both knocked out...

Deshawn - I've gone back and forth on him, strongest game of the back 3, but think he's not well liked by the jury.

Erika - Submarine/stealth game, but don't think she has much of a resume, but against Deshawn has a chance...

Heather - every single one of the 4 above are dragging her to the final knowing she will not receive a vote.

LOL - Well my predictions certainly didnt age too well...

On 12/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

But really, he lost the game when he completely misread the situation with Erika in front of the jury.  He made a terrible read, doubled down on it, and it turned much of the jury off. 

Great analysis and opinions from everyone, agree that Erika's edit was a bit misleading and probably guilty of keying into Xanders seeming hero edit.  @20Safety_Hazards really nails it above, that was SUPER Awkward/cringy watching it happen.  Probably not the first or last time a 20 year old lets old fashioned hubris derail a sure thing...

Overall a mildly interesting season just because of the pace of things.  Certainly not a Top 10 season in anyway.  I guess ultimately where it lands in the rankings is by how much/many of the "evolutions" introduced this season stick around longer term or if they're sort of temporary because of COVID.  I for one did not miss the Loved Ones visit.

I can probably see Ricard, Xander, Shani, maybe DeShaun as potential returners for future All Stars, Blood, Fan vs Fave editions...

On 12/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, homerpat said:

I suppose we have to make assumptions on her role and accept that she really was the mastermind. One thing I saw everywhere was that she was always in right side of vote. You know who else was.  Heather. Guess if she went to 3 instead she’d be the clear winner for same reasons. 

Truth is she got on awesome tribe pre merge. got stuck on outs and formed alliance with underdogs and benefited by Ricard flipping. Xander was under attack since day one with known idol. Issue is this cast feared idols too much and could have easily fished his out and voted him out, but didn’t and the edits made it seem as if everyone truly cared for him, which they clearly didn’t. Just don’t understand the edit even a little. Admittedly, I appreciate challenge winners who can avoid elimination and put more stock on final challenge winners most seasons. If you’re a mastermind, I typically want to see flashy examples. 

I think that's an interesting thought experiment. If Heather, who played literally the exact same game, made it into the final 3, does she all but sweep the vote? No way. Not a chance. Like you said, Heather coasted to the merge on a dominant challenge team. She failed to form significant alliances in that group and immediately post merge, and kind of lucked her way into a big alliance when the other major alliance imploded because of egos. She certainly didn't seem like a good player. 

9 minutes ago, Kz! said:

I think that's an interesting thought experiment. If Heather, who played literally the exact same game, made it into the final 3, does she all but sweep the vote? No way. Not a chance. Like you said, Heather coasted to the merge on a dominant challenge team. She failed to form significant alliances in that group and immediately post merge, and kind of lucked her way into a big alliance when the other major alliance imploded because of egos. She certainly didn't seem like a good player. 

Heather was a less active trish From Cagayan. Or a Lisa Whelchel from Philippines.  She was integral for her partner to advance but would have had a much harder time making that case to the jury because they were the plus one. 

6 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Heather was a less active trish From Cagayan. Or a Lisa Whelchel from Philippines.  She was integral for her partner to advance but would have had a much harder time making that case to the jury because they were the plus one. 

How the heck do you guys remember names of random players from random seasons years ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

How the heck do you guys remember names of random players from random seasons years ago?

My wife has never seen any of the older season and started getting into it around season 37. So we have been watching through some of the older seasons. So it’s a bit fresher in the mind for me.