Needs for the 2022 draft

Rob331

Based on our roster's structure, the list of free agents and the age of our guys some of the needs are pretty obvious. 

Round 1 -

With 3 first round picks we fill the 3 most pressing needs. 

At corner we just don't have a CB2. Even if we sign Nelson or another corner before the season, a young top flight guy is a must. That's one of the 1st round picks. 

Then there's defensive end. Barnett and Sweat are free agents and BG is getting long in the tooth. DE is another of the first round selections.

Safety, although not valued highly by the Birds is another high priority need. McLeod, Adams, Harris, and James are all free agents. 

Round 2 - 

I think a TE2 is the pick here. We'll need a first line guy to back up Goedert

Round 3 - 

Still sticking with needs. We still need a big running back for short yardage and goal line.

We have numbers at corner but none are impressive so a corner is the pick here

Round 4 - 

Remember all of our safeties are free agents - another one here

Round 5 - 

A G/C. Although Dickerson appears to be Kelce's eventual replacement we'll still need an interior guy if Jason retires. 

Round 6 - 

The quarterback factory needs a developmental guy so it's QB3

Round 7 - 

If at first you don't succeed - try, try again. LB. 

• 4 weeks later...

I like the thought put into this but I do disagree with TE in Round 2. I know this team has done that with Ertz and Goedert, but with all the holes this team has, it's a luxury pick to use another premium selection on a TE while Goedert is still young. Plus, Richard Rodgers has been decent as our TE2/3 whenever called upon. 

For whatever reason the Eagles don't use 1st round picks on safeties, maybe that changes, but I can see next year's 2nd round pick finally being used on one. I do agree that one of the 1st round picks will be used on a DL, and of course all of this is contingent on Hurts playing well enough that the Eagles don't look to use draft capital to trade for Deshaun Watson or move up in the draft.

Don’t think it’s obvious, think it’s rather complicated. 

Sure the secondary is the position group that most desperately needs an influx of young talent, won’t argue that. But it could quickly be put on the back burner again if Hurts doesn’t prove to be good enough, neither Mailata/Dillard are capable starters, Eagles move on from Fletcher Cox. All 3 of those scenarios happening are fairly possible. DE looks like a strong 1st rd possibility with Graham set to retire any year now. Most important storyline is Hurts. If he plays well, Eagles have great job at rebounding from this hole quickly. If not, all that extra high draft capital will likely be used to secure a rookie QB or trade for a vet. 

I agree with CB first. Our biggest need as of now for sure!

Can't have enough DE, and adding one in the first seems smart.

I actually like the Harris/McLeod combo at safety, so my third first would go to yet another WR for the X, so we have Smith at Y and Reagor in the Slot.

TE in the second has been a winning formula for us, so love it.

Then again, wouldn't be surprised if Wentz sucks or gets hurt - so I can very much see this third first to be a second when all is said and done.

• 2 weeks later...

In order to not target QB in RD#1 means assuming Hurts is a franchise QB. I make no such assumption. If he turns out to be a great young QB who gets demonstrably better as pressure on him increases, then yes, I agree that CB is the primary target. If he doesn't prove to be the QB1 they need, then he's a backup and QB is the primary target. Beyond that, the OL, DE, S, WR, & RB groups look to me like they need additions. There are many needs on this incomplete team, but QB1 is the biggest question mark IMO.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, PoconoDon said:

In order to not target QB in RD#1 means assuming Hurts is a franchise QB. I make no such assumption. If he turns out to be a great young QB who gets demonstrably better as pressure on him increases, then yes, I agree that CB is the primary target. If he doesn't prove to be the QB1 they need, then he's a backup and QB is the primary target. Beyond that, the OL, DE, S, WR, & RB groups look to me like they need additions. There are many needs on this incomplete team, but QB1 is the biggest question mark IMO.

Haven't been by in a while. Logged in. Stayed. Like Van Wilder at class. 

I wonder what they'll do with Hurts. One thing they can do is stand on the "it was his first full season and we still have to evaluate" no matter how he does, not that I think he'll be horrible. 

Cornerback is loaded. That doesn't mean the Eagles will pick it, but from the film I've watched, I've already got four guys with 1st round grades and a fifth with a really early 2nd round grade in Josh Jobe that'll probably sneak his way in. 

Lots of edge rushers, but none with a 1st round grade for me. That said, it's summer scouting and I'm picky. 

I like the natural tools of Malik Willis from Liberty a lot. I think you have to break him down and build him back up to a certain extent. Has some poor habits. 

Some excellent linemen. I love Kenyon Green from A&M. I mean love the kid. 

They'll have a ton of guys that can fill positions of need, as you said. QB is always going to be where an NFL franchise looks though, I agree. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever said about Wentz getting hurt was right on point, he's had surgery already. So it looks like we have two 1st & 2 2nd.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:05 AM, Infam said:

I agree with CB first. Our biggest need as of now for sure!

Can't have enough DE, and adding one in the first seems smart.

I actually like the Harris/McLeod combo at safety, so my third first would go to yet another WR for the X, so we have Smith at Y and Reagor in the Slot.

TE in the second has been a winning formula for us, so love it.

Then again, wouldn't be surprised if Wentz sucks or gets hurt - so I can very much see this third first to be a second when all is said and done.

Infam the clairvoyant

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

@Ray75 when you gonna start making mocks? 

😂

Well...I’m not in the mood yet. Ha, ha...

Picking at 4, 8 and 9 at the moment. I’d likely use all my first rounders on defense. If Thibodeaux is off the board (likely No.1 to the Jags or Jets), I’d use them on DT Leal, a DE like Hutchinson and a DB like Stingley or Hamilton and call it a day.

Not a fan of the QB class. Rather roll with Hurts. Believe he’s better than any of the QB’s in this class. I would give him another year and give this defense a huge boost by adding 3 extremely talented players.

You?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

😂

Well...I’m not in the mood yet. Ha, ha...

Picking at 4, 8 and 9 at the moment. I’d likely use all my first rounders on defense. If Thibodeaux is off the board (likely No.1 to the Jags or Jets), I’d use them on DT Leal, a DE like Hutchinson and a DB like Stingley or Hamilton and call it a day.

Not a fan of the QB class. Rather roll with Hurts. Believe he’s better than any of the QB’s in this class. I would give him another year and give this defense a huge boost by adding 3 extremely talented players.

You?!

I agree! DT/DE/CB is also how I would use my first three picks, followed by S in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I agree! DT/DE/CB is also how I would use my first three picks, followed by S in the 2nd round. 

In the scenario you’d have 3 top ten picks and both Stingley and Hamilton are on the board, which one do you prefer?!

Value wise the CB offers more, while the safety might be the (slightly) better prospect IMO.

But...I don’t believe for a second we’ll get that Colts first rounder if they end up picking in the top ten. They’ll bench CW to preserve the high pick if they’re out of contention. Best case scenario; they’re in the running for a play-off spot till the bitter end but just don’t make it. That will give us a pick at around 16. In that scenario I’d select Leal and a DE in the top 10 and a CB like Elam, Booth or Gardner at 16-ish.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, Ray75 said:

In the scenario you’d have 3 top ten picks and both Stingley and Hamilton are on the board, which one do you prefer?!

Value wise the CB offers more, while the safety might be the (slightly) better prospect IMO.

But...I don’t believe for a second we’ll get that Colts first rounder if they end up picking in the top ten. They’ll bench CW to preserve the high pick if they’re out of contention. Best case scenario; they’re in the running for a play-off spot till the bitter end but just don’t make it. That will give us a pick at around 16. In that scenario I’d select Leal and a DE in the top 10 and a CB like Elam, Booth or Gardner at 16-ish.

I really like the idea of Leal as the successor to Fletcher Cox, to start alongside Javon Hargrave. With Brandon Graham getting older and Derek Barnett not really living up to his draft status, we probably do need a DE in the first again as well. I can see the Colts being in 7-8 win territory which would preserve the 1st rounder in the range you mentioned.

I pretty much agree with the strategy based on the current player projections.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I really like the idea of Leal as the successor to Fletcher Cox, to start alongside Javon Hargrave. With Brandon Graham getting older and Derek Barnett not really living up to his draft status, we probably do need a DE in the first again as well. I can see the Colts being in 7-8 win territory which would preserve the 1st rounder in the range you mentioned.

I pretty much agree with the strategy based on the current player projections.

Exactly!

Leal and Hutchinson with our two top 10 picks. Like you said; one as the heir apparent to Cox and the other to BG.

If we’re lucky, Colts give us another first rounder. I’d be fine if they’d use it on a very good LB like Harris but we both know that will never happen and because we also criminally undervalue the safety position (at least in the first), you can kiss that one goodbye too.

If they come out of the first with two blue chip prospects in the top 12 ish, I’d be happy. Don’t care at what position as long as they’re very good.

But man do I love me some Leal and Hutchinson. 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:51 AM, Ray75 said:

Exactly!

Leal and Hutchinson with our two top 10 picks. Like you said; one as the heir apparent to Cox and the other to BG.

If we’re lucky, Colts give us another first rounder. I’d be fine if they’d use it on a very good LB like Harris but we both know that will never happen and because we also criminally undervalue the safety position (at least in the first), you can kiss that one goodbye too.

If they come out of the first with two blue chip prospects in the top 12 ish, I’d be happy. Don’t care at what position as long as they’re very good.

But man do I love me some Leal and Hutchinson. 

I too think that LB in the first is a long shot, but I think the most likely „LB" would be Drake Jackson.

He is both a LB and DE, and would fit what Gannon described perfectly: Can cover, can rush. I think he‘s a pretty good first for us, maybe for a pick in the teens.

And just for the record: No, the Eagles own pick will not be top 10. Not going to happen.

10 hours ago, Infam said:

I too think that LB in the first is a long shot, but I think the most likely „LB" would be Drake Jackson.

He is both a LB and DE, and would fit what Gannon described perfectly: Can cover, can rush. I think he‘s a pretty good first for us, maybe for a pick in the teens.

And just for the record: No, the Eagles own pick will not be top 10. Not going to happen.

Agreed!

Only the Miami pick will likely be in the top 10. Eagles themselves will be picking in that 12-13 ish range, I guess.

As for the Colts pick; as long as they have a shot at winning the division or a a wildcard spot, we’ll have a chance of getting that first rounder. If they’re out of the running in a couple of weeks, they’ll start to bench CW (or fake an injury) to preserve their first rounder.

They’ll play the Texans, Niners and Titans in the upcoming weeks with the Bucs, Cards and Bills coming up in november and december.

Flip side to that coin is that the Titans themselves have entered that brutal stretch right now. So in a couple of weeks Colts could also be right in the mix for the division title.

If I’d have to put money on it, I don’t think we’ll ever get to see that first round pick but that’s just me. Hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ray75 said:

....If I’d have to put money on it, I don’t think we’ll ever get to see that first round pick but that’s just me. Hope I’m wrong.

I'm with you on that Ray!

1. If they are in play-off contention, Wentz will surely injure himself playing 'hero-ball' before he averages 70% snaps over 17 games.

2. If they fall off the pace, I'm fully expecting some COVID related issue to sideline Wentz just before he gets to the 75% threshold.