Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Procus

Mailata as periodic H-Back

Recommended Posts

Whaddaya think Dave?  Could you imagine Mailata lining up as a fullback, or being used as an extra tight end to get Dillard on the field if both players look to be performing at a high level?  I don't know, with his size advantage, if Mailata could catch and hold onto the ball, he could be a weapon on the offense.  And of course getting in some bone crunching blocks along the way is a nice added bonus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, jsdarkstar said:

Second Life Marketplace - Gesture Meme - Oh Hell No

What, you don't  like a nice bone crunching block?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Procus said:

What, you don't  like a nice bone crunching block?

I think its funny, that some fans want to take the biggest and fattest guy on the team (Not to mention the possible starting left tackle) and make him into a blocking back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I think its funny, that some fans want to take the biggest and fattest guy on the team (Not to mention the possible starting left tackle) and make him into a blocking back. 

Remember that he was a ball handler, and an effective one at that, in his rugby days.  There is context to this idea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Procus said:

Remember that he was a ball handler, and an effective one at that, in his rugby days.  There is context to this idea.

Yeah, and Lane Johnson played quarterback and tight end in college, but we never see him being used that way. And fans haven't been clamoring for years to have him be used that way. And Mailata is bigger and slower than Johnson.

When you're an offensive tackle, that's where you're going to play. Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if he had the ball, how do you think defenders would try to tackle him?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yeah, and Lane Johnson played quarterback and tight end in college, but we never see him being used that way. And fans haven't been clamoring for years to have him be used that way. And Mailata is bigger and slower than Johnson.

When you're an offensive tackle, that's where you're going to play. Period.

Was Johnson ever able to do this?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

if he had the ball, how do you think defenders would try to tackle him?  

Carefully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely zero doubt that if this guy does develop into a solid NFL LT, we will eventually be treated to some trick plays with him in the backfield.  The 2pt conversion and 4th down plays have become way too frequent and valuable not to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I have absolutely zero doubt that if this guy does develop into a solid NFL LT, we will eventually be treated to some trick plays with him in the backfield.  The 2pt conversion and 4th down plays have become way too frequent and valuable not to.

The coach has been criticized this week for being overly creative at the goal line, when he didn't have to be, and now fans are calling for us to be overly creative by putting our starting left tackle into the backfield. So who replaces him on the line at left tackle? Dillard? I guess the Defense will be surprised by this formation. Hmmm. Whose getting the ball?. 

A Millennial Reflection: Attending Church- I Have More Questions Than  Answers — Bible and Pop Culture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

The coach has been criticized this week for being overly creative at the goal line, when he didn't have to be, and now fans are calling for us to be overly creative by putting our starting left tackle into the backfield. So who replaces him on the line at left tackle? Dillard? I guess the Defense will be surprised by this formation. Hmmm. Whose getting the ball?. 

A Millennial Reflection: Attending Church- I Have More Questions Than  Answers — Bible and Pop Culture

I think we will see it someday but I doubt it's this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

The coach has been criticized this week for being overly creative at the goal line, when he didn't have to be, and now fans are calling for us to be overly creative by putting our starting left tackle into the backfield. So who replaces him on the line at left tackle? Dillard? I guess the Defense will be surprised by this formation. Hmmm. Whose getting the ball?. 

A Millennial Reflection: Attending Church- I Have More Questions Than  Answers — Bible and Pop Culture

You do realize this thread was started in July don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that he just signed a 4 year, $64 million contract to be our left tackle, there is no way the eagles will risk injury with him taking the punishment of a runningback.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just promote Jordan Howard to the active roster and use him in short yardage/goal-line situations. We'd be better off carrying 4 RBs than 7 LBs or even JJAW as the WR5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/9/23/22688561/eagles-mailbag-would-use-jordan-mailata-rugby-australia-football-fullback-running-back-bgn

Weapon X Mailbag: Would the Eagles ever use Jordan Mailata in the backfield?

By shamus_clancy@shamus_clancy Sep 23, 2021, 1:22pm EDT

San Francisco 49ers v Philadelphia Eagles

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Carter Anderson (via email): What is the likelihood that we will see Jordan Mailata lined up in the backfield in short yardage situations?

Sean Coxe (via email): Here’s an off-the-wall idea (but not an entirely bad one). In short yardage, or down near the goal line, why not use Jordan Mailata as a fullback, or even a ball carrier? If you’ve ever watched some of his archival rugby film, you’ll know the idea isn’t completely without merit. He has experience running with the ball—and running over would-be tacklers.

Jordan Mailata, as we all know, grew up playing rugby before the Eagles selected him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft despite him never playing American football before. His rugby highlights are WILD.

There are few things in this world I would enjoy more than to see Mailata rush for a touchdown against the Cowboys on national TV.

This obviously isn’t saying he should be a semi-regular fullback for this team. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. If you’re trying to punch the ball into the end zone, you’re probably going to want that guy in there instead of dropping off to someone like Andre Dillard.

HOWEVER...

If Nick Sirianni is going to go full galaxy brain and try to run a wild card play in the red zone, you could do much worse than this. I love the gall he displayed when calling the Philly Special despite its horrid execution against the 49ers. Know what may have been better though if Sirianni wanted to get spicy? Going 22 personnel with Hurts under center, Mailata at fullback, Sanders at tailback, Dillard at left tackle and two tight ends as blockers.

Would Hurts sneak it and get in since he squats a million pounds? Would the Eagles have Mailata as a lead blocker and have Sanders attempt to jump over the line of scrimmage? Or... would Hurts hand it off to Mailata, who barrels into the end zone?

I truly believe all three options would be productive when you’re at the three or shorter going in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 7:18 PM, Procus said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/9/23/22688561/eagles-mailbag-would-use-jordan-mailata-rugby-australia-football-fullback-running-back-bgn

Weapon X Mailbag: Would the Eagles ever use Jordan Mailata in the backfield?

By shamus_clancy@shamus_clancy Sep 23, 2021, 1:22pm EDT

San Francisco 49ers v Philadelphia Eagles

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Carter Anderson (via email): What is the likelihood that we will see Jordan Mailata lined up in the backfield in short yardage situations?

Sean Coxe (via email): Here’s an off-the-wall idea (but not an entirely bad one). In short yardage, or down near the goal line, why not use Jordan Mailata as a fullback, or even a ball carrier? If you’ve ever watched some of his archival rugby film, you’ll know the idea isn’t completely without merit. He has experience running with the ball—and running over would-be tacklers.

Jordan Mailata, as we all know, grew up playing rugby before the Eagles selected him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft despite him never playing American football before. His rugby highlights are WILD.

There are few things in this world I would enjoy more than to see Mailata rush for a touchdown against the Cowboys on national TV.

This obviously isn’t saying he should be a semi-regular fullback for this team. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. If you’re trying to punch the ball into the end zone, you’re probably going to want that guy in there instead of dropping off to someone like Andre Dillard.

HOWEVER...

If Nick Sirianni is going to go full galaxy brain and try to run a wild card play in the red zone, you could do much worse than this. I love the gall he displayed when calling the Philly Special despite its horrid execution against the 49ers. Know what may have been better though if Sirianni wanted to get spicy? Going 22 personnel with Hurts under center, Mailata at fullback, Sanders at tailback, Dillard at left tackle and two tight ends as blockers.

Would Hurts sneak it and get in since he squats a million pounds? Would the Eagles have Mailata as a lead blocker and have Sanders attempt to jump over the line of scrimmage? Or... would Hurts hand it off to Mailata, who barrels into the end zone?

I truly believe all three options would be productive when you’re at the three or shorter going in.

 

Stupid idea. He's a starting left tackle, not a backup lineman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

Stupid idea. He's a starting left tackle, not a backup lineman.

Like this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea discussed in the link below?

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/2/18122522/akiem-hicks-bears-giants-touchdown-refrigerator-perry

Probably won't happen, but there is precedent for this, and nobody can deny Mailata's prowess running the ball during his rugby days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Procus said:

Like this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea discussed in the link below?

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/2/18122522/akiem-hicks-bears-giants-touchdown-refrigerator-perry

Probably won't happen, but there is precedent for this, and nobody can deny Mailata's prowess running the ball during his rugby days.

He's the starting left tackle moron. His job is to block so an actual running back can get the yard. Perry played defense your example doesn't fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

He's the starting left tackle moron. His job is to block so an actual running back can get the yard. Perry played defense your example doesn't fit.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this.  He's a unique, entertaining player with a colorful past.  I'm not the first who raised this idea and won't be the last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, mr_hunt said:

if he had the ball, how do you think defenders would try to tackle him?  

Not sure how they would do it, but a blown ACL would be the outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Procus said:

I'm not the first who raised this idea and won't be the last.

 

574CBBCC-6BFA-4D4C-8508-F1E1B802AE60.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Procus said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this.  He's a unique, entertaining player with a colorful past.  I'm not the first who raised this idea and won't be the last.

Don't get hurt feelings over football man. It's sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, Procus said:

Was Johnson ever able to do this?

 

Which one of those guys he pancaked was @downundermike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...