Mailata as periodic H-Back

Procus

Whaddaya think Dave?  Could you imagine Mailata lining up as a fullback, or being used as an extra tight end to get Dillard on the field if both players look to be performing at a high level?  I don't know, with his size advantage, if Mailata could catch and hold onto the ball, he could be a weapon on the offense.  And of course getting in some bone crunching blocks along the way is a nice added bonus.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, jsdarkstar said:

Second Life Marketplace - Gesture Meme - Oh Hell No

What, you don't  like a nice bone crunching block?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Procus said:

What, you don't  like a nice bone crunching block?

I think its funny, that some fans want to take the biggest and fattest guy on the team (Not to mention the possible starting left tackle) and make him into a blocking back. 

22 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I think its funny, that some fans want to take the biggest and fattest guy on the team (Not to mention the possible starting left tackle) and make him into a blocking back. 

Remember that he was a ball handler, and an effective one at that, in his rugby days.  There is context to this idea.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Procus said:

Remember that he was a ball handler, and an effective one at that, in his rugby days.  There is context to this idea.

Yeah, and Lane Johnson played quarterback and tight end in college, but we never see him being used that way. And fans haven't been clamoring for years to have him be used that way. And Mailata is bigger and slower than Johnson.

When you're an offensive tackle, that's where you're going to play. Period.

if he had the ball, how do you think defenders would try to tackle him?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yeah, and Lane Johnson played quarterback and tight end in college, but we never see him being used that way. And fans haven't been clamoring for years to have him be used that way. And Mailata is bigger and slower than Johnson.

When you're an offensive tackle, that's where you're going to play. Period.

Was Johnson ever able to do this?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

Carefully

• 1 month later...

I have absolutely zero doubt that if this guy does develop into a solid NFL LT, we will eventually be treated to some trick plays with him in the backfield.  The 2pt conversion and 4th down plays have become way too frequent and valuable not to.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I have absolutely zero doubt that if this guy does develop into a solid NFL LT, we will eventually be treated to some trick plays with him in the backfield.  The 2pt conversion and 4th down plays have become way too frequent and valuable not to.

The coach has been criticized this week for being overly creative at the goal line, when he didn't have to be, and now fans are calling for us to be overly creative by putting our starting left tackle into the backfield. So who replaces him on the line at left tackle? Dillard? I guess the Defense will be surprised by this formation. Hmmm. Whose getting the ball?. 

A Millennial Reflection: Attending Church- I Have More Questions Than  Answers — Bible and Pop Culture

4 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

The coach has been criticized this week for being overly creative at the goal line, when he didn't have to be, and now fans are calling for us to be overly creative by putting our starting left tackle into the backfield. So who replaces him on the line at left tackle? Dillard? I guess the Defense will be surprised by this formation. Hmmm. Whose getting the ball?. 

A Millennial Reflection: Attending Church- I Have More Questions Than  Answers — Bible and Pop Culture

I think we will see it someday but I doubt it's this year.

6 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

You do realize this thread was started in July don't you?

• Members

Given that he just signed a 4 year, $64 million contract to be our left tackle, there is no way the eagles will risk injury with him taking the punishment of a runningback.

• Like 1

Just promote Jordan Howard to the active roster and use him in short yardage/goal-line situations. We'd be better off carrying 4 RBs than 7 LBs or even JJAW as the WR5.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/9/23/22688561/eagles-mailbag-would-use-jordan-mailata-rugby-australia-football-fullback-running-back-bgn

Weapon X Mailbag: Would the Eagles ever use Jordan Mailata in the backfield?

By shamus_clancy@shamus_clancy Sep 23, 2021, 1:22pm EDT

San Francisco 49ers v Philadelphia Eagles

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Carter Anderson (via email): What is the likelihood that we will see Jordan Mailata lined up in the backfield in short yardage situations?

Sean Coxe (via email): Here’s an off-the-wall idea (but not an entirely bad one). In short yardage, or down near the goal line, why not use Jordan Mailata as a fullback, or even a ball carrier? If you’ve ever watched some of his archival rugby film, you’ll know the idea isn’t completely without merit. He has experience running with the ball—and running over would-be tacklers.

Jordan Mailata, as we all know, grew up playing rugby before the Eagles selected him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft despite him never playing American football before. His rugby highlights are WILD.

There are few things in this world I would enjoy more than to see Mailata rush for a touchdown against the Cowboys on national TV.

This obviously isn’t saying he should be a semi-regular fullback for this team. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. If you’re trying to punch the ball into the end zone, you’re probably going to want that guy in there instead of dropping off to someone like Andre Dillard.

HOWEVER...

If Nick Sirianni is going to go full galaxy brain and try to run a wild card play in the red zone, you could do much worse than this. I love the gall he displayed when calling the Philly Special despite its horrid execution against the 49ers. Know what may have been better though if Sirianni wanted to get spicy? Going 22 personnel with Hurts under center, Mailata at fullback, Sanders at tailback, Dillard at left tackle and two tight ends as blockers.

Would Hurts sneak it and get in since he squats a million pounds? Would the Eagles have Mailata as a lead blocker and have Sanders attempt to jump over the line of scrimmage? Or... would Hurts hand it off to Mailata, who barrels into the end zone?

I truly believe all three options would be productive when you’re at the three or shorter going in.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:18 PM, Procus said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/9/23/22688561/eagles-mailbag-would-use-jordan-mailata-rugby-australia-football-fullback-running-back-bgn

Weapon X Mailbag: Would the Eagles ever use Jordan Mailata in the backfield?

By shamus_clancy@shamus_clancy Sep 23, 2021, 1:22pm EDT

San Francisco 49ers v Philadelphia Eagles

Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Carter Anderson (via email): What is the likelihood that we will see Jordan Mailata lined up in the backfield in short yardage situations?

Sean Coxe (via email): Here’s an off-the-wall idea (but not an entirely bad one). In short yardage, or down near the goal line, why not use Jordan Mailata as a fullback, or even a ball carrier? If you’ve ever watched some of his archival rugby film, you’ll know the idea isn’t completely without merit. He has experience running with the ball—and running over would-be tacklers.

Jordan Mailata, as we all know, grew up playing rugby before the Eagles selected him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft despite him never playing American football before. His rugby highlights are WILD.

There are few things in this world I would enjoy more than to see Mailata rush for a touchdown against the Cowboys on national TV.

This obviously isn’t saying he should be a semi-regular fullback for this team. He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle. If you’re trying to punch the ball into the end zone, you’re probably going to want that guy in there instead of dropping off to someone like Andre Dillard.

HOWEVER...

If Nick Sirianni is going to go full galaxy brain and try to run a wild card play in the red zone, you could do much worse than this. I love the gall he displayed when calling the Philly Special despite its horrid execution against the 49ers. Know what may have been better though if Sirianni wanted to get spicy? Going 22 personnel with Hurts under center, Mailata at fullback, Sanders at tailback, Dillard at left tackle and two tight ends as blockers.

Would Hurts sneak it and get in since he squats a million pounds? Would the Eagles have Mailata as a lead blocker and have Sanders attempt to jump over the line of scrimmage? Or... would Hurts hand it off to Mailata, who barrels into the end zone?

I truly believe all three options would be productive when you’re at the three or shorter going in.

Stupid idea. He's a starting left tackle, not a backup lineman.

3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

Stupid idea. He's a starting left tackle, not a backup lineman.

Like this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea discussed in the link below?

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/2/18122522/akiem-hicks-bears-giants-touchdown-refrigerator-perry

Probably won't happen, but there is precedent for this, and nobody can deny Mailata's prowess running the ball during his rugby days.

27 minutes ago, Procus said:

Like this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea?

Or this stoopid idea discussed in the link below?

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/2/18122522/akiem-hicks-bears-giants-touchdown-refrigerator-perry

Probably won't happen, but there is precedent for this, and nobody can deny Mailata's prowess running the ball during his rugby days.

He's the starting left tackle moron. His job is to block so an actual running back can get the yard. Perry played defense your example doesn't fit.

11 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

He's the starting left tackle moron. His job is to block so an actual running back can get the yard. Perry played defense your example doesn't fit.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this.  He's a unique, entertaining player with a colorful past.  I'm not the first who raised this idea and won't be the last.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, mr_hunt said:

Not sure how they would do it, but a blown ACL would be the outcome.

4 hours ago, Procus said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this.  He's a unique, entertaining player with a colorful past.  I'm not the first who raised this idea and won't be the last.

Don't get hurt feelings over football man. It's sad.

• 1 month later...