Going back to the theaters

BFit

What's everyone's thoughts on movie theaters vs streaming right now? It's obviously a better experience going to the theater, but watching something in the comfort of your own home is definitely nice. Plus, with movies moving away from theaters in the last year, streaming services have gotten some pretty big movies. We just watched tomorrow war on Amazon and it was great and had a good bit of star power. 

Personally though, the best part of the movie theater is it encourages your wife to be quiet during the important parts of the movie. :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We got a screen and put it on our shed in the backyard and have done a few movie nights out in our backyard.  It’s nice to do and much cheaper than going to the theater.  It’s tougher to do in summer due to it not getting dark until late (with kids), but it’s something they really look forward to.

I think I’ll go to the theater at some point, but will probably do the outdoor movie night for the kids movies so we don’t have to spend so much money to see it in the theater.

I’ve been to the theater for probably 15 movies already this calendar year. The best part is being phone-free for the entirety of the film. 

• Like 1

I dont like the idea of being in the same room with 100+ people for that long and most if not all of them not wearing a mask. I dont trust that enough people are vaccinated where I live. And probably most of PA. Especially not with the threat of the delta variant spreading. 

Im not sure when Ill go back to a theater. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BFit said:

Personally though, the best part of the movie theater is it encourages your wife to be quiet during the important parts of the movie. :roll:

best part of going to the theater is keeping your wife's mouth full so she is quiet. 

I'll probably watch Black Widow at home and go back to the theater for the next movie that interests me.

Just saw A Quiet Place II in theaters. First time at the movies in over a year. We caught a 4:55 showing and there was only one other person in there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I dont like the idea of being in the same room with 100+ people for that long and most if not all of them not wearing a mask. I dont trust that enough people are vaccinated where I live. And probably most of PA. Especially not with the threat of the delta variant spreading. 

Im not sure when Ill go back to a theater. 

I rented a theater to avoid this...So much more fun, and really not all that expensive. $250.00 for the movie and the theater rental with AMC, then they have packages for snacks and drinks...I have one booked for Dune in October now too...Which I've had to move that reservation 3 f*****g times now, but that's another story.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:08 PM, Agent23 said:

I’ve been to the theater for probably 15 movies already this calendar year. The best part is being phone-free for the entirety of the film. 

You can't be phone-free at home?

12 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

I rented a theater to avoid this...So much more fun, and really not all that expensive. $250.00 for the movie and the theater rental with AMC, then they have packages for snacks and drinks...I have one booked for Dune in October now too...Which I've had to move that reservation 3 f*****g times now, but that's another story.

Interesting. About 10-11 people is about normal ticket prices so the more you bring the better. You can have as many people as there are seats? 

15 hours ago, Kz! said:

Just saw A Quiet Place II in theaters. First time at the movies in over a year. We caught a 4:55 showing and there was only one other person in there. 

Compared to the first how is it ??

They just re-opened the theatres here where I'm at. I'm thinking about going to see a quiet place 2. The rules here are that in order to go to the movies you have to be fully vaccinated and still wear your mask. The theatres are open to 30% capacity and I'm not sure if they're still serving food or not. 

My attitude is that the whole reason why I chose to get vaccinated was so that I can take that stupid mask off. I'm done with the mask unless I'm somewhere that still mandates it. Which unfortunately is still pretty much everywhere in public here except for where I work. 

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

Interesting. About 10-11 people is about normal ticket prices so the more you bring the better. You can have as many people as there are seats? 

Yeah I called out of the blue to reserve for Dune last Nov, and when they said $250, I was surprised...I've done it 3 times so far. I've never asked for $$$, but usually 3ish people chip in for the food package. Works out pretty well. 

I'd imagine yes on the number of people you can invite...It's honestly never come up. They do ask how many will be attending, but I think the most we've had is around 25 people total. Least amount was just me and my son for a viewing of Pacific Rim. Price was always the same. We're talking about doing it for A Quiet Place II next weekend so I'll inquire about the max.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:59 AM, Kz! said:

Everything here (Minneapolis are) was TWO SEATS blocked out for a couple months. So it would be 2 to your left and 2 to your right (when going solo, I almost always take and end seat). It was also blocking out the seats in the row in front and behind me. I think the row blockage ended about a month or two ago, and it shifted to 1 seat blocked on each side.

Went to see Fast 9 and reserved seat F9 because sometimes I do dumb ish like that to amuse myself, and there was the 1 seat blockage. I probably reserved a month or so in advance when tickets went live (same thing for Black Widow tonight). Well.... I get to Fast 9 and not only is it the first movie that felt "full" (usually I'm one of 5ish people in the theater, but quiet place 2 probably had 50 people in a 350+ seat auditorium)... but they literally stopped blocking out seating so I had two d00desin the seats to my right, and those d00des had a couple immediately to their right. I pulled up the App when 2 randos sat in the seats immediately between me and this other couple and noticed most of the theater was filled in with the "occupied" shading and NONE of the seats showed up as "distancing" or whatever they used to block out space.

It couldn't have been more than 60 days ago that they were sill pushing hard and having signs and pre-film videos saying you still MUST wear a mask while sitting unless eating or drinking (I didn't have it on typically and never saw it enforced, but crowds were always small and very well spaced). But to go from what felt like masks and spacing just a few weeks prior to dudes able to bump elbows with you was WILD. 

Also, the seats to my left showed occupied as well but those people must have never showed or just chose to sit somewhere else

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

You can't be phone-free at home?

I don't think anyone can. Your phone is going to buzz or you're going to get hungry or have to pee or something else stupid that when home someone is just going to be like "I can just pause" which if films were meant to be viewed with pauses they would have intermissions. And anyone who takes a break during a movie is going to check phone or something else that creates distractions or makes you feel inclined to follow up with some convo someone may have started. The theater is like a built-in psychological space where you just block out everything and push through it like a F'ing man. 

5 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

They just re-opened the theatres here where I'm at. I'm thinking about going to see a quiet place 2. The rules here are that in order to go to the movies you have to be fully vaccinated and still wear your mask. The theatres are open to 30% capacity and I'm not sure if they're still serving food or not. 

My attitude is that the whole reason why I chose to get vaccinated was so that I can take that stupid mask off. I'm done with the mask unless I'm somewhere that still mandates it. Which unfortunately is still pretty much everywhere in public here except for where I work. 

posted about this at the very top, but we went from "strict" conditions to a F'ing free-for-all in the span of like 2 weeks :roll:

37 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

Yeah I called out of the blue to reserve for Dune last Nov, and when they said $250, I was surprised...I've done it 3 times so far. I've never asked for $$$, but usually 3ish people chip in for the food package. Works out pretty well. 

I'd imagine yes on the number of people you can invite...It's honestly never come up. They do ask how many will be attending, but I think the most we've had is around 25 people total. Least amount was just me and my son for a viewing of Pacific Rim. Price was always the same. We're talking about doing it for A Quiet Place II next weekend so I'll inquire about the max.

bruh - Chi is F'ed up. I've seen theater rentals the entire time that they've re-opened and its like $100 on the regular. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Everything here (Minneapolis are) was TWO SEATS blocked out for a couple months. So it would be 2 to your left and 2 to your right (when going solo, I almost always take and end seat). It was also blocking out the seats in the row in front and behind me. I think the row blockage ended about a month or two ago, and it shifted to 1 seat blocked on each side.

Went to see Fast 9 and reserved seat F9 because sometimes I do dumb ish like that to amuse myself, and there was the 1 seat blockage. I probably reserved a month or so in advance when tickets went live (same thing for Black Widow tonight). Well.... I get to Fast 9 and not only is it the first movie that felt "full" (usually I'm one of 5ish people in the theater, but quiet place 2 probably had 50 people in a 350+ seat auditorium)... but they literally stopped blocking out seating so I had two d00desin the seats to my right, and those d00des had a couple immediately to their right. I pulled up the App when 2 randos sat in the seats immediately between me and this other couple and noticed most of the theater was filled in with the "occupied" shading and NONE of the seats showed up as "distancing" or whatever they used to block out space.

It couldn't have been more than 60 days ago that they were sill pushing hard and having signs and pre-film videos saying you still MUST wear a mask while sitting unless eating or drinking (I didn't have it on typically and never saw it enforced, but crowds were always small and very well spaced). But to go from what felt like masks and spacing just a few weeks prior to dudes able to bump elbows with you was WILD. 

Also, the seats to my left showed occupied as well but those people must have never showed or just chose to sit somewhere else

I don't think anyone can. Your phone is going to buzz or you're going to get hungry or have to pee or something else stupid that when home someone is just going to be like "I can just pause" which if films were meant to be viewed with pauses they would have intermissions. And anyone who takes a break during a movie is going to check phone or something else that creates distractions or makes you feel inclined to follow up with some convo someone may have started. The theater is like a built-in psychological space where you just block out everything and push through it like a F'ing man. 

posted about this at the very top, but we went from "strict" conditions to a F'ing free-for-all in the span of like 2 weeks :roll:

bruh - Chi is F'ed up. I've seen theater rentals the entire time that they've re-opened and its like $100 on the regular. 

There may be cheaper options here also...I just went with the one closest to me. 

10 hours ago, downundermike said:

Compared to the first how is it ??

I liked it, but it's more of the same. About exactly what you'd expect. I'd give it a 7/10. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Wow where do you live that it's still all masked up? I thought that all ended months ago

• Like 1

I think the last movie that I saw in a theater was Avatar. 

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think the last movie that I saw in a theater was Avatar. 

Bro, I just did a rough count (I was in a 3yr relationship when that came out and saw it with her and her friend). I think I’ve smashed like twenty seven additional women since that movie came out 

• Like 1

I don't have a super impressive sound system, just a normal soundbar. Going to the movies is a lot more fun for me than staying in if a movie has a good score 

We took the kids to see a movie in Myrtle last week.  Tickets were like $5.95 each.  Popcorn was like $1.  Beers were $5.  I was amazed at how cheap it was.  I’m not sure if they’re all like that now but if they are then I’ll go back to theaters more regularly.  It wasn’t covid that kept me out.  It was $24 tickets and $13 beers.  

Even before pandemic and streaming, I only went to the movies for big visual spectacles.  I used to go to the movies a lot before having a kid.  No family here so if I'm paying for a baby sitter  and having to schedule that in advance it's only for basically a new Star Wars or Marvel movie.  There aren't any movies anymore that I have to see right away, it will hit streaming or digital rental in a couple months anyway.  I have HBO Max and I think I've only watched one of the movie theater streaming premiers once. I'd rather go out to live music or hang out with friends or do something more interactive.  We watch so much TV and movies at home, going out I like to not be looking at a screen.

I been involved w the AMC stock craze over the last 8 months or so, so I went back to "support the stock" :lol: a couple months ago and saw Tom Hollands Chaos Walking. Just to get out and get back and see something. Theatre was maybe 1/8 full and I definitely enjoyed it. But I haven't been back since. Almost considered going back for Kong/Godzilla as I was actually looking forward to seeing that, but watched it at home instead, which I was thankful for as I thought it was dreadful. Theatre effects aside, I don't think it would've enhanced the experience that much for me. I would consider going back for Quiet Place II, just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

16 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Bro, I just did a rough count (I was in a 3yr relationship when that came out and saw it with her and her friend). I think I’ve smashed like twenty seven additional women since that movie came out 

Smashed as in you sat on them?

4 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Smashed as in you sat on them?

23's literally a PC.

d9c652ebd0ff64702cabe5e1b6dc2d24.png

• Like 1