Eagles Sign Steven Nelson - 1 YR Deal

SPIDER-MAN

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Not really true. Majority of good starting caliber players are gone the first few weeks of free agency. Both Nelson and the Eagles expressed interest for awhile, little interesting it took so long is all. Not many starting caliber players on the street right now.

Fair enough, but apparently no other team was willing to pay him more than $4 million for a year.  Almost all those starting caliber players gone in the first few weeks of free agency got more than that.

I imagine the conversation back a few months went something like:  Eagles:  We'll give you $4M for a year.  Nelson:  I really think I am worth more than that.  Eagles:  Well, that's our budget.  Nelson:  Are you going to withdraw the offer if I wait to see if I get a better offer?  Eagles:  We can leave it open for now, but we cannot promise we will not sign someone else and withdraw the offer, and you have to tell us before you sign with someone else to give us a chance to match.  Nelson:  OK.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

Nelson will use the Eagles to revive his career and then sign somewhere else ala Patrick Robinson.

So what you are saying is......

df2194fd5e3df54b35dff3b540daefc7_w200.gi  COMP PIXZZZZ!!!! df2194fd5e3df54b35dff3b540daefc7_w200.gi

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MMMMMmmmmmm...................................comp pix................

Dance GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

Very good move.  He won't sell a lot of jerseys, but sometimes going from bad to OK at a position is just as impactful as going from OK to great.  Now if the vets can stay healthy (very big if) we might field a competitive team.

• Like 1

This is a really really good signing. He's a good #2. This changes things because if the key players on defense stay healthy then this defense should be expected to produce and be good. 

• Like 3

This pretty much solidifies it for me - Howie had an amazing off-season.

About damn time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

About damn time.

Definitely one of the best off seasons in recent years. Very low bar

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Definitely one of the best off seasons in recent years. Very low bar

Agreed but this move could have a big impact on this year. I really think this puts us firmly in the hunt to win the division. Not a high bar but gives the year potentially some intrigue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Fair enough, but apparently no other team was willing to pay him more than $4 million for a year.  Almost all those starting caliber players gone in the first few weeks of free agency got more than that.

I imagine the conversation back a few months went something like:  Eagles:  We'll give you $4M for a year.  Nelson:  I really think I am worth more than that.  Eagles:  Well, that's our budget.  Nelson:  Are you going to withdraw the offer if I wait to see if I get a better offer?  Eagles:  We can leave it open for now, but we cannot promise we will not sign someone else and withdraw the offer, and you have to tell us before you sign with someone else to give us a chance to match.  Nelson:  OK.

14 minutes ago, Walkdawalk said:

Surprised Nelson was had for so little...Think the lack of INTs killed his value. 

I imagine it was a very similar conversation.

Yeah lack of interceptions and timing were the main factors. 

I guess people might be concerned he benefited from the Steelers pressure D and the players around him (remember Byron Maxwell). But he had a good last year with the Chiefs as well which is encouraging.

Also ideal spot for Nelson. Comes in with pretty much no competition for CB2. Has a really good D-Line in front of him and Slay on the other side taking the best receivers. Great opportunity for him to play really well and get paid next year.

42 minutes ago, Walkdawalk said:

Surprised Nelson was had for so little...Think the lack of INTs killed his value. 

It's not little when you look at the whole #. Steelers still are paying him 6m, if he hits all incentives we give him 4m. 10m when his contract with Pitts was for 8m. He got a 2m raise and a chance to prove he is worth more. He knows he's a day 1 starter here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

The Steelers are paying him over 6 mill this year after they cut him. So in the end he will make a little over 10 mill this year if he hits all his incentives in the Eagles contract. 

why did they cut him ? cap room?

1 hour ago, Walkdawalk said:

he's only ints came against the eagles, and he had 2 of them!

5 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Again, no, he didn’t.

10 hours ago, downundermike said:

Not really.  Decimated the 2022 cap situation, and none of the free agents will be on the roster next year, but 5 of them will count against the cap.

15 hours ago, EagleTen said:

That's what's confusing me...last I seem to remember was that The Eagles had about $3.7m in cap space...so maybe it's a 1 yr $4m deal with a dummy year tagged on to reduce the '21 hit, or maybe, as you say, there is another announcement due soon...

15 hours ago, eggs said:

Or cut someone who is not going to make the team like adrian killians and save $700k

By signing him they will save $850k as that is what the cheapest player in the top 51 is currently being paid. So the cap space will change by -$3.15m from this signing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mihailo said:

By signing him they will save $850k as that is what the cheapest player in the top 51 is currently being paid. So the cap space will change by -$3.15m from this signing.

That makes sense...but that now only leaves the Eagles with (about) $600k in cap space, and they still haven't signed Landon Dickerson, and I imagine his cap hit will be more than the cap (currently) space available...

And am I right in saying that Dickerson cannot attend training camp until he signs his contract?

Even by the most optimistic cap space number I've seen we're short by a few million even if we accept that they're carrying nothing for in season events, which isn't going to happen. Nelson signing means either Ertz is gone or we're paying Cox another few years into his retirement.

I don't understand why we're signing guys like this on one year deals when the fans are accepting of a rebuild and we need to clear cap.

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Even by the most optimistic cap space number I've seen we're short by a few million even if we accept that they're carrying nothing for in season events, which isn't going to happen. Nelson signing means either Ertz is gone or we're paying Cox another few years into his retirement.

I don't understand why we're signing guys like this on one year deals when the fans are accepting of a rebuild and we need to clear cap.

Maddox will be cut and brought back after week 1 at league minimum saving the team 2 million. Plus there is a few players who count less then 850k towards the cap who will make the team. It can be done with keeping Ertz if they want to.

3 minutes ago, EagleTen said:

That makes sense...

Nelson's base salary is 2.5 million. Take off the $850,000 of the current cheapest player and he is only counting an additional 1.65 million against the cap. Eagles reportedly had 4.8 million in space, so they now have 3.15 million. Enough to sign Dickerson. We are good - and the move for Nelson was incredible value. 

• Like 3

Thanks...I liked the signing, very much so! I was just a little confused about the numbers, but if all he is costing us against the cap this year is $1.65m, then that's amazing value for a #2 CB...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed but this move could have a big impact on this year. I really think this puts us firmly in the hunt to win the division. Not a high bar but gives the year potentially some intrigue.

Agreed, very shrewd off-season by Howie, loaded up on picks for next year, while remaining competitive for this year. Low bar, but hey.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

• Scouts believe tape shows below-average football intelligence and a lack of speed

4 minutes ago, EagleVA said:
  • Scouts believe tape shows below-average football intelligence and a lack of speed

Agreed, Willie Henry probably won't be missed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2