Ed Dodds, Indy Asst. GM

Road to Victory

Howie has to go. The guy clearly has no business evaluating talent. If you want to leave him in the FO negotiating contracts and managing the cap, that’s fine but he shouldn’t be deciding what players to draft. 

Dodds is on a short list of the best candidates for a GM job and was described as John Schneider’s secret weapon when he was a scout with Seattle. Now in Indy, he’s done a great job as Asst. GM. He describes himself as a film junky and loves watching film.

• Like 3

Okay let’s hire him because he’s a film junkie, like Howie, Andy, Doug and other personnel don’t watch hours and hours of film.

I get the frustration and it is warranted, but fans have to know that if this blows up in our face, fingers point to Howie and he will likely be relieved of his duties. We have to see how this plays out but Howie is taking a huge risk here. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Okay let’s hire him because he’s a film junkie, like Howie, Andy, Doug and other personnel don’t watch hours and hours of film.

I get the frustration and it is warranted, but fans have to know that if this blows up in our face, fingers point to Howie and he will likely be relieved of his duties. We have to see how this plays out but Howie is taking a huge risk here. 

He’s had a lot of success in Seattle and Indy. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that wherever he goes that team has had success in the draft. Howie could very well be a film junkie but he’s a lawyer with an accounting background, not a scouting background like Dodds. Howie’s hours of film study have been a waste of time.

I'm on board as long as he doesn't get the final say on who to extend contracts, put Howie and the QB factory back in the basement.

• Like 2

I would certainly like to see Howie removed from all draft related matters. Year after year he proves he is not a good talent evaluator. And we can look at this years draft and make it out to be a good draft on paper... The reality is they are Howie picks and so a lot of those guys are unfortunately not going to pan out.

• Like 1

We need to hire someone else to be in charge of the draft. Howie can stay as he does other things very well but he is a lost little boy in the draft room.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

We need to hire someone else to be in charge of the draft. Howie can stay as he does other things very well but he is a lost little boy in the draft room.

Yeah I agree with you. Howie is good on the contracts for the most part but he's terrible with the draft. 

• Like 1

Here’s the issue though... I have to believe Hurts wouldn’t have been taken if Doug and the other coaches weren’t on board. I mean they showed DP on TV when the pick was made, and he certainly looked happy about it. 

22 hours ago, nipples said:

Here’s the issue though... I have to believe Hurts wouldn’t have been taken if Doug and the other coaches weren’t on board. I mean they showed DP on TV when the pick was made, and he certainly looked happy about it. 

Interesting facts to note:

Donovan McNabb was 29 when the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft.

Michael Vick was 30 when the Eagles drafted Nick Foles in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft.

Wentz is currently 27 years old, and the Eagles picked up Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round this year.

The inability to finish seasons put Wentz on the hot seat the same way the decline in production put McNabb and Vick on the hot seat in those respective years. 

The Eagles make the playoffs 3 years in a row with a Super Bowl run, divisional playoff run, and wild card playoff run respectively and Wentz only has a few snaps to show for it.

A cruel combination of bad luck and the physical running style of Wentz leaving him susceptible to injuries brings us to where we are today.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Interesting facts to note:

Donovan McNabb was 29 when the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb in the 2nd round of the 2007 draft.

Michael Vick was 30 when the Eagles drafted Nick Foles in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft.

Wentz is currently 27 years old, and the Eagles picked up Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round this year.

The inability to finish seasons put Wentz on the hot seat the same way the decline in production put McNabb and Vick on the hot seat in those respective years. 

The Eagles make the playoffs 3 years in a row with a Super Bowl run, divisional playoff run, and wild card playoff run respectively and Wentz only has a few snaps to show for it.

A cruel combination of bad luck and the physical running style of Wentz leaving him susceptible to injuries brings us to where we are today.

Yep. And when they say this is a brutal business, they aren't kidding...this is what they mean.

19 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Yep. And when they say this is a brutal business, they aren't kidding...this is what they mean.

It looks like the Eagles have their eyes on the out clause in Wentz's contract extension in 2022, which means Wentz only has two seasons (assuming the NFL season isn't cancelled due to COVID-19) to prove that he can finish a season healthy and hopefully in a deep playoff run. The guaranteed money in the extension will have been completely distributed by then.

1659717143_ScreenShot2020-04-29at1_21_06PM.png.09318da2db40af92ea6c39517c2aa89b.png

If we end up with 2 more years of Wentz not finishing the season, I have a hard time seeing Wentz finishing his contract in Philly. Since Hurts is a 2nd round pick, there is no 5th year option, and the front office will have to figure out if he's the future at QB during his 4 year rookie contract.

Heck, Andrew Luck retired at age 29 and I wouldn't rule out Wentz doing something similar if the injuries continue to pile up. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 1:51 PM, nipples said:

I mean they showed DP on TV when the pick was made, and he certainly looked happy about it. 

Did you see him during the post pick interview? Didn't look happy at all.

18 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Did you see him during the post pick interview? Didn't look happy at all.

Yeah, it was interesting to see him so hyped up on the ESPN draft footage but not particularly excited in the post pick interview. Perhaps it's just that he doesn't want to deal with potential questions of a QB controversy so soon (not that he would ever enjoy answering those questions down the road, but you get the point).

We'll find out soon enough if it hurts to invest a 2nd round pick on a backup QB while passing on filling more immediate needs. Wentz's history suggests that Hurts will be starting at QB at some point of the season, whether it be regular season or playoffs. His rookie year was the only one where he finished a season, and the team missed the playoffs at 7-9.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, Road to Victory said:

Howie has to go. The guy clearly has no business evaluating talent. If you want to leave him in the FO negotiating contracts and managing the cap, that’s fine but he shouldn’t be deciding what players to draft. 

Dodds is on a short list of the best candidates for a GM job and was described as John Schneider’s secret weapon when he was a scout with Seattle. Now in Indy, he’s done a great job as Asst. GM. He describes himself as a film junky and loves watching film.

LMAO 

Y’all need to stay off the drugs, kids. 

3 hours ago, FastFreddie said:

LMAO 

Y’all need to stay off the drugs, kids. 

Great post. Very informative...

I factor in the quality of the original thread and/or the post to which I'm replying.

There was a Super Bowl parade 27 months ago.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:10 AM, FastFreddie said:

I factor in the quality of the original thread and/or the post to which I'm replying.

There was a Super Bowl parade 27 months ago.

So what. Howie still hasn’t proven he can draft well. The Super Bowl, for the most part, was built through free agency and trades. You can’t have continued success if you can’t identify talent. 

He's a consensus top-10 GM in the league, whether some of you like it and think so or not. He and Pederson have a good relationship. Y'all couldn't wait to replace Andy Reid and then Howie Roseman with Chip Kelly. Now y'all want to turn the personnel department on its head this soon after a championship because of your perception of Howie's failings. Even some of the best GMs and personnel departments have spotty hit rates in the draft. Christ, look at Belicheck... he's been drafting like crap of late.

Musing about other #2/#3 personnel guys and sending Howie away is a complete waste of time. Talk to me if the team doesn't make the playoffs this season, and maybe your opinions will be closer to relevant. Else, Howie ain't going anywhere, and getting super specific about who you think can replace him is just silly.

6 hours ago, FastFreddie said:

He's a consensus top-10 GM in the league, whether some of you like it and think so or not. He and Pederson have a good relationship. Y'all couldn't wait to replace Andy Reid and then Howie Roseman with Chip Kelly. Now y'all want to turn the personnel department on its head this soon after a championship because of your perception of Howie's failings. Even some of the best GMs and personnel departments have spotty hit rates in the draft. Christ, look at Belicheck... he's been drafting like crap of late.

Musing about other #2/#3 personnel guys and sending Howie away is a complete waste of time. Talk to me if the team doesn't make the playoffs this season, and maybe your opinions will be closer to relevant. Else, Howie ain't going anywhere, and getting super specific about who you think can replace him is just silly.

Some people can't let go of the players that played in the super bowl simply because they were in the super bowl no matter how much they suck. Howie is the one who brought them all there yet he needs to go lol. These fans man 

Wentz is the starter. 

Where's the controversy? Go back to real housewives of the NFC east or somethin'

Total Drama IggleLand

57 minutes ago, TrotterIsGod said:

Wentz is the starter. 

Where's the controversy? Go back to real housewives of the NFC east or somethin'

Total Drama IggleLand

That's not even what this thread is about

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FastFreddie said:

I never wanted Chip Kelly. My first instinct was that it was a stupid hire. Howie is what he is. He’s very good at contract negotiation and managing the cap but he’s terrible at talent recognition. He has no experience as a scout. Just look at his draft record. I don’t care if he remains with the team in some capacity but half of the EMB could hit on as many draft picks as he has. Hell, how many guys including myself criticized him for not trading a 4th rounder which turned into Donnell Pumphrey to move up a few spots to draft Dalvin Cook instead of Sidney Jones. How many guys here including myself criticized him for drafting JJaw instead of DK Metcalf. Those are obvious oversights. This year he could’ve traded a 2nd rounder to move up and draft Lamb but he drafted a backup Qb instead. He can’t recognize talent. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 11:41 AM, FastFreddie said:

Bellichek doesn’t draft like crap he drafts players suited for his scheme. His defense is always on point. He know what he needs to make his team win and if his beginning of the year strategy isn’t working, he’s not afraid to add free agents or trades who he knows will fit his scheme that he can bring in for a year or 2 then trade away.  He will have to start drafting differently without Tom but he will realize that cuz I’ve never seen a better coach at in game or mid season adjustments/management. Most guys he drafts are very good for his system so much so they get talked up to be stars and leave for tons of money but he knows their true value and lets them leave cuz he also knows outside of his scheme most of them will suck. There’s always exceptions like chandler jones who is just an animal anywhere, but he normally takes a guy who is rated a round or 2 later that he falls in love with and knows exactly how he’s going to use him. Even with chandler jones he was supposed to go a little later but he has an eye for talent and talent that most people wouldn’t be looking for in that pick range. Which in a way is smart cuz the guy he really wants is always there for him. There line may not have superstars but that front can sure rack up sacks a team 

19 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

Bellichek doesn’t draft like crap he drafts players suited for his scheme. His defense is always on point. He know what he needs to make his team win and if his beginning of the year strategy isn’t working, he’s not afraid to add free agents or trades who he knows will fit his scheme that he can bring in for a year or 2 then trade away.  He will have to start drafting differently without Tom but he will realize that cuz I’ve never seen a better coach at in game or mid season adjustments/management. Most guys he drafts are very good for his system so much so they get talked up to be stars and leave for tons of money but he knows their true value and lets them leave cuz he also knows outside of his scheme most of them will suck. There’s always exceptions like chandler jones who is just an animal anywhere, but he normally takes a guy who is rated a round or 2 later that he falls in love with and knows exactly how he’s going to use him. Even with chandler jones he was supposed to go a little later but he has an eye for talent and talent that most people wouldn’t be looking for in that pick range. Which in a way is smart cuz the guy he really wants is always there for him. There line may not have superstars but that front can sure rack up sacks a team 

Actually their defense has been pretty much crap for a while minus last year where they were finally good