Ed Dodds, Indy Asst. GM

Road to Victory

On 5/24/2020 at 6:52 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Actually their defense has been pretty much crap for a while minus last year where they were finally good 

Not sure where you get your info from but I just got a laugh from your post and decided I would go back to see how far back I would have to go to find a Patriots defense that didn’t finish top ten. The answer is 2011. So your telling me over a 9 year period where they were the number one defense 2 times in those 9 years. They also had 3 10 spot finishes(must be the crappy years you’re talking about) two 7th place finishes and 8th place and a fifth. I’m sorry but when is a top 10 defense considered crappy. 

7 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

Not sure where you get your info from but I just got a laugh from your post and decided I would go back to see how far back I would have to go to find a Patriots defense that didn’t finish top ten. The answer is 2011. So your telling me over a 9 year period where they were the number one defense 2 times in those 9 years. They also had 3 10 spot finishes(must be the crappy years you’re talking about) two 7th place finishes and 8th place and a fifth. I’m sorry but when is a top 10 defense considered crappy. 

I wasn't speaking in overall defense. Their defense has had some pretty big flaws over the years that hurt them. 2018 they were 31st in sacks and that was what triggered my response to you because you said they rack up the sacks. They have actually struggled in that area pretty bad since they let Jones go until last year. 

• 6 months later...

I really like how the Colts focused on building from the inside out after Ryan Grigson left. Grigson focused on adding weapons for Andrew Luck but had a terrible Oline. Ballard and Dodds focused on building the Oline and now they have one of best offensive line’s in football. That’s the correct way to build a team. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I really like how the Colts focused on building from the inside out after Ryan Grigson left. Grigson focused on adding weapons for Andrew Luck but had a terrible Oline. Ballard and Dodds focused on building the Oline and now they have one of best offensive line’s in football. That’s the correct way to build a team. 

They also have a very good D as well.  All they need now is a long term answer QB.  Rivers isn't a long term solution and he's proven to come up small in the playoffs, so far.

Howie has failed at both aspects of his job:  1-Drafting good talent and 2-Managing the cap.  His kicking the can down the road and handing out big albatross contracts to aging/declining players has caught up to him.  The bill comes due.  Thanks for the Lombardi Trophy, you performed magick that season, but that was the outlier.  Otherwise, your record is mediocre to poor and if the future is going to change for the better then you need to go.

If this guy Dodds has his fingerprints on the construction and success of SEA and IND then he's worth a look.  PoconoDon had an interesting list of 7 candidates in another thread, with Dodds being at the top.  We all have to hope Lurie can see that Howie can't be part of the future and decides to bring someone else in.

On 4/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, Maga301 said:

Okay let’s hire him because he’s a film junkie, like Howie, Andy, Doug and other personnel don’t watch hours and hours of film.

I get the frustration and it is warranted, but fans have to know that if this blows up in our face, fingers point to Howie and he will likely be relieved of his duties. We have to see how this plays out but Howie is taking a huge risk here. 

Spending time watching film doesn’t mean crap if you don’t evaluate well. 

that’s like saying all kids in class are on the same level, because they all attend class. No logic there. 

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Spending time watching film doesn’t mean crap if you don’t evaluate well. 

that’s like saying all kids in class are on the same level, because they all attend class. No logic there. 

No one is saying that’s the only reason why you would hire him. 

I would say a better analogy would be calling a player/prospect a gym rat. Does that mean he’ll be a great player? Of course not , but it’s a factor which shows he’s a hard worker. Not all players are gym rats and not all GM’s are film junkies.

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

No one is saying that’s the only reason why you would hire him. 

I would say a better analogy would be calling a player/prospect a gym rat. Does that mean he’ll be a great player? Of course not , but it’s a factor which shows he’s a hard worker. Not all players are gym rats and not all GM’s are film junkies.

I was actually advocating getting howie out of that evaluation seat. Not exactly hiring the GM you said specifically, but shift that power to someone else for sure.

To be honest I dont care about how they get the results as long as they deliver them. They can go to a fortune teller for all I care as long as we hit on some damn draft picks for a change. This is getting ridiculous with all the misses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I was actually advocating getting howie out of that evaluation seat. Not exactly hiring the GM you said specifically, but shift that power to someone else for sure.

Nooooooo. Howie needs to go. Not moved to one side. Not left to handle contracts. Not left to some newly created role or promoted just to take him away from evaluation and drafting. He's a disaster and he needs to be sent away for good. He's not even that good with the cap either. 

46 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Nooooooo. Howie needs to go. Not moved to one side. Not left to handle contracts. Not left to some newly created role or promoted just to take him away from evaluation and drafting. He's a disaster and he needs to be sent away for good. He's not even that good with the cap either. 

Indeed! Howie reminds me of this dude;

B27D44E3-9348-4AA5-9D11-8C3BD6CC2E5D.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would take either for sure. Just want him to not be the one to make decisions on picks anymore.

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I would take either for sure. Just want him to not be the one to make decisions on picks anymore.

What good does moving him to one side do?

Yeah, while we got by in 2017 with some luck in FA/trades plus the foundation of Andy Reid's last draft class in 2012 (Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, Vinny Curry, Nick Foles), Howie's non-traditional background has hurt us in the draft since Reid left.

If only one of Roseman, Pederson, Wentz needs to go, it should be Howie. I'd be willing to give the other two at least one more year under new GM

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What good does moving him to one side do?

like i said and you quoted.. it would take him out of the draft seat. 

3 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

like i said and you quoted.. it would take him out of the draft seat. 

But still involved in other aspects. So what good does that do?

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But still involved in other aspects. So what good does that do?

It forces him to clean up his own mess with the cap. And for a third time, it gives control of our draft to someone else.

Would be happy if he got fired completely too, just dont want him to make draft picks anymore, like I already said. lol

5 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

It forces him to clean up his own mess with the cap. And for a third time, it gives control of our draft to someone else.

Would be happy if he got fired completely too, just dont want him to make draft picks anymore, like I already said. lol

He made the mess, why do you think he'll be able to get out of it?

And for the third time what does it go to keep him around? He needs to go, just outright go. 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He made the mess, why do you think he'll be able to get out of it?

And for the third time what does it go to keep him around? He needs to go, just outright go. 

Im curious since you dont seem to be getting this.. do you think I WANT Howie to stay? If you go back and re-read, I very clearly never said that. Closest I got was that I said something close to "id take Howie getting moved to a different role as long as he doesnt control our draft anymore". Emphasis there being him losing control of the draft, not him staying.

In my opinion Howie needs to go as well. But I just dont see Lurie doing that. Too many of Howies draft picks are gaining momentum or already succeeding on other teams (Agholor, Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas). 

33 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Im curious since you dont seem to be getting this.. do you think I WANT Howie to stay? If you go back and re-read, I very clearly never said that. Closest I got was that I said something close to "id take Howie getting moved to a different role as long as he doesnt control our draft anymore". Emphasis there being him losing control of the draft, not him staying.

I'm not saying that you do want him to stay. I'm just saying that moving him to one side is pointless and really doesn't help this team. 

• 2 months later...

Maybe all the ties to Indy will eventually bring Dodds in the door to replace Howie (hopefully)

• Lions interviewed Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds for general manager. 

Dodds was a candidate for the Browns' opening last January but opted to remain in Indianapolis, citing "unfinished business." That business remains unfinished, but No. 2s can only resist bites at that No. 1 apple for so long. Very well regarded as a scout and evaluator, Dobbs spent 10 years in Seattle before arriving in Indy in 2017. 

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: detroitlions.com
    Jan 12, 2021, 5:11 PM ET
    • Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds has declined to interview for the Browns' GM vacancy.

Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Dodds feels he still has "unfinished business" in Indianapolis. It seems Dodds, whose preferred choice for head coach was 49ers DC Robert Saleh, lost interest as soon as Cleveland tapped Kevin Stefanski to replace Freddie Kitchens. With Dodds out of the running, Eagles VP of football operations Andrew Berry has emerged as the clear frontrunner to succeed John Dorsey as the Browns' next GM. He'd be a strong get for the Browns, who squandered their best roster in years en route to a disappointing 6-10 finish in 2019.

RELATED: 
      Jan 13, 2020, 9:13 AM ET
      • The Browns have requested permission to interview Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds.

It's an interesting development, as Dodds has ties to 49ers DC Robert Saleh, who is among the finalists for Cleveland's head coach job. The Browns plan to wait until at least after the Divisional Round to name their next coach, suggesting it may be a coordinator that's still in the playoffs. Dodds has served under Chris Ballard in Indy the last few seasons and is well regarded for his scouting. He would be a high-upside replacement on John Dorsey.

RELATED: 
        Jan 11, 2020, 1:29 PM ET