Birds sign DB Obi Melifonwu - former Raiders 2nd round pick

Procus

If Gannon turns him into a player, we are officially set at secondary

38 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Hopefully the force is strong with him!

let's hope he doesn't line up opposite CeeDee Lamb and state: "I have a bad feeling about this...."

• Haha 3

Oh man! I actually really like this pick up. I liked Obi going in to the draft and I think there's a good player there. It didn't work out in Oakland but let's see what Gannon can do. 

Sorry guys, this is not Obi One Kanobi. This Obi..Lol..Played 5 games for the team that drafted him in 2017. Then he was released and played only 2 games in 2018 for New England. Out of Football 2019, 2020...and now something like 5 teams tried him out. But the odds of a 27 year old coming back after 2 years out of football, and not being anything special in the NFL when he did have a chance...are slim to none. It doesn't cost anything to give him a shot at a training camp, but the odds of him making it.... are next to impossible. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Hopefully the force is strong with him!

OBI has been seduced by the power of the dark side. Forever will it dominate his destiny, NY One.

So we're going to try and pull a reverse Jaiquawn Jarrett?  I struggle to believe this is more than a training camp body, to be on your fourth team 4 years after being drafted 2nd round, there are clearly issues with the guy

Is there news on who we let go?

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

So we're going to try and pull a reverse Jaiquawn Jarrett?  I struggle to believe this is more than a training camp body, to be on your fourth team 4 years after being drafted 2nd round, there are clearly issues with the guy

Is there news on who we let go?

My understanding is we don't have to let anybody go as players on the covid list (we have 3) don't count against the 90.

Cheap contract, elite athlete, they worked him out and liked what they saw.

Might aswell give him a shot I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

maybe they are pulling an Andy Reid and will convert him from DB to RB.....

He can play both Safety and at corner, so probably not. 😄

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I struggle to believe this is more than a training camp body, to be on your fourth team 4 years after being drafted 2nd round, there are clearly issues with the guy

Maybe.  Ok with taking a look though.

14 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Maybe.  Ok with taking a look though.

Reminiscent of Dick Vermeil looking for players by declaring open tryouts and discovering Vince Papale. But my got feeling says Obi is nothing more than a camp body.

I keep hearing the Eagles are signing other teams former second round picks and I can’t help but to wonder if teams keep cutting second round picks then why is JJAW still on this roster?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Infam said:

Cheap contract, elite athlete, they worked him out and liked what they saw.

Might aswell give him a shot I suppose.

Pretty much shows how poorly Howie has drafted in the secondary considering all the picks he’s thrown at the positions and none of them really panned out. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Pretty much shows how poorly Howie has drafted in the secondary considering all the picks he’s thrown at the positions and none of them really panned out. 

Considering that DBs are sometimes seen as WRs that can't catch, Howie hasn't done too well in either department, has he?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Considering that DBs are sometimes seen as WRs that can't catch, Howie hasn't done too well in either department, has he?

Can’t argue against that. In fact when you consider the Eagles have no emerging talent under the age of 25 Howie isn’t doing well with drafting any young players in any position. 

We haven’t had the best luck with former Raiders’ DBs with difficult to pronounce names, amirite?

• Haha 3

Got excited. 

Wrong Melifonwu.

Got not excited.  

• Haha 1

I could see him playing more as a hybrid S/LB role in the box "IF" he makes the team which is a big "IF"

However, Gannon is a very good DB coach so if anyone can get the most out of Obi, it would be him. 

26 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Why not give him a shot. Not much to lose here.

That's my take on this too. Bring him in and see what he can do. If he doesn't show then he gets cut.

• Like 1

I remember several years ago there was an undrafted player that Ray Rhodes signed after he was cut from another team, and he was the starter on opening day....that was Al Harris...so who knows....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyerdog said:

I remember several years ago there was an undrafted player that Ray Rhodes signed after he was cut from another team, and he was the starter on opening day....that was Al Harris...so who knows....

And that's the thing... Look it very likely doesn't work out that way. There's a good chance he doesn't even make the roster given his struggles so far in the NFL. But you just never know. If he even becomes a decent depth guy that's a win isn't it?