Eagles restructure Johnson and Barnett contracts

Hawkeye

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

For you guys that care, my continued tracking of the cap situation.  I started doing this on March 4th, the cap as it stood then.

2022 cap space - $ 73.325 million

2023 cap space - $ 136.813 million

2024 cap space - $ 207.5 million

After all the maneuvering to get under the 2021 cap, sign guys with multiple void years, sign rookies and other restructures, here is where the Eagles stand August 5th.

2022 cap space - $ 3.193 million ( that is 70 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2023 cap space - $ 76.829 million ( that is 59.9 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2024 cap space - $ 177.6 million ( that is 29.898 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

That is a total negative impact on the 2022-2024 cap of 160 million.  Not sure how anyone can defend his cap gymnastics at this point.

There is nothing to defend because the cap doesn't matter.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, pallidrone said:

There is nothing to defend because the cap doesn't matter.

It does when we don't have enough cap space to sign a draft class, extend some of our best under 30 players (Goedert, Mailata, Sweat and Barnett are all free agents at the end of the year) or resolve all the one year rentals in the secondary either, which is where we are for next year as it stands right now. Go and look at either Sportrac or OvertheCaps listing of Eagles cap room for 2022, there aren't many contracts that we can get out of pre June 1st that actually save us any significant money, look at Slay's cap number next year it's absurd, there's no way he's here next year, so yeah the cap does matter, and Howie won't stop digging the hole.

Plus this is why trading for Captain Knobtouch would be the mistake to end all mistakes, to get the cap room to sign him you'd have to dump some serious contracts, Cox, Brooks, Kelce, Slay would all be gone (Brooks and Slay would likely have to be post June 1 cuts to give us any serious cap relief which would then kick more dead money into 2023) without the draft capital or cap space to replace them, that's on top of the Goedert, Mailata, Slay, Barnett, Sweat and all our starting secondary being out of contract issues.

All that and the fact that trading multiple 1sts for a player is almost always a one way ticket to 10 Dumbest Trades in NFL history articles on Sports Illustrated 10 years down the line as Houston drafts 4 perennial all pros with the picks they receive while Watson is filmed waving his nightstick at a masseuse or blows out both knees or gets addicted to purple drank or is run over by his own car in a misguided attempt to revive the kiki challenge and is out of the league by 2023.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It does when we don't have enough cap space to sign a draft class, extend some of our best under 30 players (Goedert, Mailata, Slay, Barnett are all free agents at the end of the year) or resolve all the one year rentals in the secondary either, which is where we are for next year as it stands right now.

When was the last time that the Eagles could not sign a draft pick, or they had to let a promising young player go because they did not have the cap space to sign him? Free agency has become a place where you find cheap talent and one year rentals looking to stay with a team for a bigger payday. The teams that spend a lot of money do so on mediocre talent that usually are not worth that much.

The Eagles were $53 million over the cap at the beginning of the year and now have $15 million in the positive and that included taking a huge hit in trading off Carson Wentz. 

The part I completely agree with is not taking on Watson and sending massive draft capital to do it.

15 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

The Eagles were $53 million over the cap at the beginning of the year and now have $15 million in the positive

They also had 73 million in 2022 cap space at the beginning of the year, now they have 3 million.  

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

They also had 73 million in 2022 cap space at the beginning of the year, now they have 3 million.  

Your point?

It is 2021 not 2022. If they were able to go from -$53 million to $15 million in a few months, then can make room when they only have $3 million.

All this worrying is over nothing. You guys are treating this like they are borrowing from their credit card to pay their mortgage. The cap is way more complex then that and offers a lot of mechanisms to maneuver around each and ever year, especially with it likely exploding in 2023 after they signed the new television deals. 

27 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Your point?

It is 2021 not 2022. If they were able to go from -$53 million to $15 million in a few months, then can make room when they only have $3 million.

All this worrying is over nothing. You guys are treating this like they are borrowing from their credit card to pay their mortgage. The cap is way more complex then that and offers a lot of mechanisms to maneuver around each and ever year, especially with it likely exploding in 2023 after they signed the new television deals. 

2023 is set.  It may move a couple million, but there is not some huge unknown add coming.  It will be in the area of 225 million.

5 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Your point?

You're wrong.

40 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

You're wrong.

Every year people here talk about how the next year’s cap is such a disaster and we have to cut half the roster… and then it comes and everything is fine. They know what they’re doing more than us, believe it or not.

6 hours ago, downundermike said:

2023 is set.  It may move a couple million, but there is not some huge unknown add coming.  It will be in the area of 225 million.

There will be roll over for 2022. Probably 9-12 million. Also, Kelce will come off the books. I don’t think they will have to borrow much from 2023. If they do need to we still have 76 million to borrow from. I could see them trading Cox and saving 10 million for 2022 too. I can see them cutting Brooks as a post june 1st like they did Jackson and Jeffery as well. Saving 13 million for 2022.

The Eagles are trying to play this off as simply cap maintenance, but I feel there’s something else going on here. They have put themselves in a position to make a big potential move. I just hope it isn’t the one we keep hearing about. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are trying to play this off as simply cap maintenance, but I feel there’s something else going on here. They have put themselves in a position to make a big potential move. I just hope it isn’t the one we keep hearing about. 

I think they created cap room for Watson just in case his legal matters move closer to resolution. But, I can't see it happening soon because it is still in limbo.  But, if Houston is willing to take a lot less compensation-wise now, then the Eagles might gamble and do it.   But, I'm sure they would prefer to wait until things are clearer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

I think they created cap room for Watson just in case his legal matters move closer to resolution. But, I can't see it happening soon because it is still in limbo.  But, if Houston is willing to take a lot less compensation-wise now, then the Eagles might gamble and do it.   But, I'm sure they would prefer to wait until things are clearer.

I hope they wait/don’t even bother trying, but there is the no trade clause to deal with too. The Eagles might have the ability to make a better deal, (even at a lower cost than other teams) but if the guy doesn’t want to come to Philly it doesn’t really matter. Word is he prefers Denver for some reason, but when it comes to the mindset of this guy should we really be surprised? 

11 hours ago, MillerTime said:

There will be roll over for 2022. Probably 9-12 million. Also, Kelce will come off the books. I don’t think they will have to borrow much from 2023. If they do need to we still have 76 million to borrow from. I could see them trading Cox and saving 10 million for 2022 too. I can see them cutting Brooks as a post june 1st like they did Jackson and Jeffery as well. Saving 13 million for 2022.

So you think we'll add what 35million cap room to the 3million we have now?  2 first rounders contracts will cost about $10million of that give or take (you can't backload rookie contracts any more), Mailata contract will be around $8.5mill a year, if Sweat gets into double digit sacks which he could easily do given his production in limited playing time the last two seasons you'd be looking at $8-12 million a year to sign him which is bottom end of top line DE salaries, Goedert extension if he plays a full season at last years level you're looking around $7.5million per, then you've got Barnett who is a decision to make and most of our secondary. Maybe you can backload the cap hit on some of those deals but Sweat and Mailata in particular have been paid league minimum up to now and are going to want a big bite of it on the front end. 

22 hours ago, downundermike said:

For you guys that care, my continued tracking of the cap situation.  I started doing this on March 4th, the cap as it stood then.

2022 cap space - $ 73.325 million

2023 cap space - $ 136.813 million

2024 cap space - $ 207.5 million

After all the maneuvering to get under the 2021 cap, sign guys with multiple void years, sign rookies and other restructures, here is where the Eagles stand August 5th.

2022 cap space - $ 3.193 million ( that is 70 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2023 cap space - $ 76.829 million ( that is 59.9 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

2024 cap space - $ 177.6 million ( that is 29.898 million less than the Eagles had on March 4th )

That is a total negative impact on the 2022-2024 cap of 160 million.  Not sure how anyone can defend his cap gymnastics at this point.

Now do that for the rest of the teams. When you finish, you'll realize this is pretty normal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Now do that for the rest of the teams. When you finish, you'll realize this is pretty normal.

No it isn't, we're the worst in the league for having money tied up in future and especially void years, good cap management sometimes means accelerating money into years you have surplus, Rolling money over from this year by giving Barnett void years on his fifth year option rather than an extension is utterly ridiculous and indefensible.

20 hours ago, downundermike said:

It's not set like 2022.

Every new TV contract goes into effect in 2023 including the new $1.1 billion Amazon deal. The league also does not know what kind of revenue the extra game is going to produce.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

So you think we'll add what 35million cap room to the 3million we have now?  2 first rounders contracts will cost about $10million of that give or take (you can't backload rookie contracts any more), Mailata contract will be around $8.5mill a year, if Sweat gets into double digit sacks which he could easily do given his production in limited playing time the last two seasons you'd be looking at $8-12 million a year to sign him which is bottom end of top line DE salaries, Goedert extension if he plays a full season at last years level you're looking around $7.5million per, then you've got Barnett who is a decision to make and most of our secondary. Maybe you can backload the cap hit on some of those deals but Sweat and Mailata in particular have been paid league minimum up to now and are going to want a big bite of it on the front end. 

And? They will just continue to borrow from the future to pay for the present. No issues.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:24 PM, NOTW said:

Does it mean it will be harder to release Lane Johnson in future years or is it not affecting future years?

I believe Lane has 1 year left of guaranteed money 

46 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I believe Lane has 1 year left of guaranteed money 

This doesn't appear to have the latest update but it shows the last guaranteed year next year, yes.  But the dead money to cut him is high for a few more years.

https://overthecap.com/player/lane-johnson/2185/

Lane contract.PNG

On 8/6/2021 at 4:55 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No it isn't, we're the worst in the league for having money tied up in future 

cowboys cap space:

2021: $5,402,178

2022: ($24,852,743)

2023: ($4,418,612)

2024: $103,451,017

On 8/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It does when we don't have enough cap space to sign a draft class, extend some of our best under 30 players (Goedert, Mailata, Slay, Barnett are all free agents at the end of the year) or resolve all the one year rentals in the secondary either, which is where we are for next year as it stands right now. Go and look at either Sportrac or OvertheCaps listing of Eagles cap room for 2022, there aren't many contracts that we can get out of pre June 1st that actually save us any significant money, look at Slay's cap number next year it's absurd, there's no way he's here next year, so yeah the cap does matter, and Howie won't stop digging the hole.

Plus this is why trading for Captain Knobtouch would be the mistake to end all mistakes, to get the cap room to sign him you'd have to dump some serious contracts, Cox, Brooks, Kelce, Slay would all be gone (Brooks and Slay would likely have to be post June 1 cuts to give us any serious cap relief which would then kick more dead money into 2023) without the draft capital or cap space to replace them, that's on top of the Goedert, Mailata, Slay, Barnett, Sweat and all our starting secondary being out of contract issues.

All that and the fact that trading multiple 1sts for a player is almost always a one way ticket to 10 Dumbest Trades in NFL history articles on Sports Illustrated 10 years down the line as Houston drafts 4 perennial all pros with the picks they receive while Watson is filmed waving his nightstick at a masseuse or blows out both knees or gets addicted to purple drank or is run over by his own car in a misguided attempt to revive the kiki challenge and is out of the league by 2023.

We can get away with it for now because our under 30 players suck and aren't worth extending.  We've got a TE who has been a backup for his entire rookie contract, a LT who still has a lot to prove and to improve, a DE with a bum knee who just edged Barnett into the starting lineup...we aren't talking franchise cornerstones here.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No it isn't, we're the worst in the league for having money tied up in future and especially void years, good cap management sometimes means accelerating money into years you have surplus, Rolling money over from this year by giving Barnett void years on his fifth year option rather than an extension is utterly ridiculous and indefensible.

Cap Space 2021: 10th OTC.com, 13th Spotrac.com

2022: 25th, 21st

2023: 26th, 17th

2024: 20th, 21st

If you go by Spotrac then we aren’t even bottom 10. Definitely not last for either. Just making stuff up now?

Void years we are 1st, but they don’t even matter if you re-sign the player. 

On 8/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, jmac+djaxallday said:

Deshaun Watson cap hit - $15.9 million 🤔

Deshaun will need all that $$ and more, for his ongoing legal battles that will haunt him the rest of his life. No thanks.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, pallidrone said:

When was the last time that the Eagles could not sign a draft pick, or they had to let a promising young player go because they did not have the cap space to sign him? Free agency has become a place where you find cheap talent and one year rentals looking to stay with a team for a bigger payday. The teams that spend a lot of money do so on mediocre talent that usually are not worth that much.

The Eagles were $53 million over the cap at the beginning of the year and now have $15 million in the positive and that included taking a huge hit in trading off Carson Wentz. 

The part I completely agree with is not taking on Watson and sending massive draft capital to do it.

Does any team admit that they couldn't sign someone because they couldn't afford it

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Does any team admit that they couldn't sign someone because they couldn't afford it

Why would they have to? All anyone would have to do is look at who they let go into free agency.