Mike Mamula

dweagle

My first topic on the new board!! I was looking for a picture for my profile, but also came across these couple pictures from the Seahawk game last year that I never shared.  We had a good time and can't wait to get back!

20191124_120939.jpg

20191124_150656.jpg

• Like 7

I was at a Party with Hugh Douglas a few years back...  he was pretty cool, but rather shy in that instance. 

Yes, Mike was pretty mellow in this instance. He was very kind though. He had two really drunk friends with him and he almost seemed somewhat embarrassed by them.  I was actually cussing to myself when we got to our seats because this tall, broad shouldered man (Mamula) was blocking my view.  Luckily he traded spots with his shorter drunk friend. 

• Like 2

Just watched the NFL Network airing of the 1995 NFL draft special.  Very interesting to see and remind myself of why the draft went down the way that it did.

Mamula was a better pick than most people think. They gave up too much to move up for him, and drafted him too early. That said, it's ridiculous that some people consider him one of the biggest busts in team history. He had some productive years, as opposed to a number of guys they drafted early who never did anything.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, dweagle said:

My first topic on the new board!! I was looking for a picture for my profile, but also came across these couple pictures from the Seahawk game last year that I never shared.  We had a good time and can't wait to get back!

20191124_120939.jpg

20191124_150656.jpg

Which one is the couple pic ? You and mamula or you and the girl? and who is " we" can't wait to go back? Again you and mamula or you and the girl or all 3? 😋

Nice pics though looks fun!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Mamula was a better pick than most people think. They gave up too much to move up for him, and drafted him too early. That said, it's ridiculous that some people consider him one of the biggest busts in team history. He had some productive years, as opposed to a number of guys they drafted early who never did anything.

Yea, he wasn't nearly the bust that people make him out to be.  It would be nice to have an end with his production on the team now to be honest.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, he wasn't nearly the bust that people make him out to be.  It would be nice to have an end with his production on the team now to be honest.  

Yep, 31.5 sacks in 5 seasons isnt too bad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Yep, 31.5 sacks in 5 seasons isnt too bad.

He basically had Jadeveon Clowney numbers... Clowney 32 sacks in 77 games, Mamula 31.5 sacks in 75 games. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

He basically had Jadeveon Clowney numbers... Clowney 32 sacks in 77 games, Mamula 31.5 sacks in 75 games. 

Did not realize that at all.  He was a lot a better for sure than people think

11 hours ago, dweagle said:

20191124_120939.jpg

20191124_150656.jpg

Mike Mamula and Doug Pederson look like brothers lol...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Danny Watkins 

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Never thought he was a bust . . . just drafted way too early and too much given up to get him. 

His 40 time was 4.62 which is faster than Sapp  &  Reggie but not Bruce Smith. That's pretty good company.

Aside from the fact that he was under-sized for his position the only other knock on him (that I know of) was

when he got caught showing his  MAMULAS  to some young lady in a bar in Allentown one night.

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Which one is the couple pic ? You and mamula or you and the girl? and who is " we" can't wait to go back? Again you and mamula or you and the girl or all 3? 😋

Nice pics though looks fun!

Hey now! 😛

I didn't ever think he was bad.  Didn't his career get 'sacked' by a knee injury?

He was ahead of his time, imo.  He would flourish in today’s NFL, especially in the wide-9 scheme that the Eagles currently use. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Mike Mamula and Doug Pederson look like brothers lol...

Definitely see a relation there.

I dont know much about him as i started watching after his career. His numbers dont seem so bad at all... surprised philly was his only team.

He was ok but not the "great" you'd have hoped for given the trade and pick.  He did have a lot of hurries that sort of went unnoticed.  It always seemed like he was just a split second away from getting there.  Much more so than anyone else I can ever remember.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manz2821 said:

Did not realize that at all.  He was a lot a better for sure than people think

He was far from a great player but not a total bust like some make him out to be. My point was more about how overrated Clowney is though 😆

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

He was ok but not the "great" you'd have hoped for given the trade and pick.  He did have a lot of hurries that sort of went unnoticed.  It always seemed like he was just a split second away from getting there.  Much more so than anyone else I can ever remember.

I remember ND Kalu was similar. Every opposing pass play seemed to have Kalu's outstretched hand reaching for a QB

9 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Never thought he was a bust . . . just drafted way too early and too much given up to get him. 

His 40 time was 4.62 which is faster than Sapp  &  Reggie but not Bruce Smith. That's pretty good company.

Mamula ran a 4.55 and he broke a lot of combine records at the time his bench press was more than a lot of Olineman I believe. His combine performance had Rhodes salivating, thinking Mamula could turn into the next Charles Haley. Mamula just played the wrong position imo, had he been an outside linebacker he could have had close to 100 sacks by the time he retired..

10 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

I remember ND Kalu was similar. Every opposing pass play seemed to have Kalu's outstretched hand reaching for a QB

Agree but ND was just a fringe AllPro at "almost getting there" while MM is a HOFer.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:49 AM, nipples said:

Damn

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:46 PM, T-1000 said:

True, compare his productivity to Javon Kearse as an Eagle, very close.