Howie's putting a whole lot of eggs in the Wentz basket

jmac+djaxallday

51 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

If Wentz gets back to spreading the ball around, these WRs will be very effective.

I guess this is the key to it really... Wentz needs to get back to where he was. And there were very encouraging signs of that last year. 

Another aspect of the struggling offense is what Dan Orlovsky showed in twitter clips last year. Our young receivers were not running the routes that were designed. They would break off early or late, not take the required steps for a route and not be on the same page as Wentz. It was eye opening what NFL evaluators and ex players show when it comes to ALL-22 film. Hopefully with a new WR coach in Aaron Morehead, we can get some of that stuff cleaned up.

• Like 1

What is this guy so mad about?   Nonsensical tooic. We drafted some guys on offense and soe on defense - let ‘s worry about something else. 

Fans complain Wentz doesn’t have weapons then complain they invest too much in surrounding Wentz with weapons? We've complained for years that while building the lines is important they don't address skill positions enough with high picks.

I would agree more balance is needed with high picks dedicated to defense...which they did in 2017 they just picked an average DE and scrub corners. Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see early picks be defense.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, EaglesfanfromND said:

I don't get the thread title....:huh:

It's an Easter theme

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Fans complain Wentz doesn’t have weapons then complain they invest too much in surrounding Wentz with weapons? We've complained for years that while building the lines is important they don't address skill positions enough with high picks.

I would agree more balance is needed with high picks dedicated to defense...which they did in 2017 they just picked an average DE and scrub corners. Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see early picks be defense.

yup

I like the theme of speed with the WRs acquired this year: Reagor, Hightower, Watkins, and Goodwin. If two of those 4 guys pan out for us, we're in great shape. Anything beyond that, we're in excellent shape. Time will tell if the guys they selected are the right ones, but I do like the Reagor and Watkins selections in particular. Hightower is intriguing, but he needs to bulk up to beat press coverage and shift from body-catching to hands-catching if he wants to be a consistent producer. Goodwin is solid when healthy but I think our expectations should be low much in the way they are with DJax given the injury history.

There are enough "big" targets on this roster between Ertz, Goedert, Jeffrey, and JJAW. I like that the Eagles are taking a page out of the Chiefs playbook when they loaded up on speed with Hill, Hardman, Watkins, and Robinson, while still benefitting from the size of Travis Kelce.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Damn if all my biggest fears aren't coming to fruition.  The problem with going all in on one player like Howie did is that you're almost inevitably marrying yourself to a predetermined outcome.  You make one mistake and then you compound it by assigning blame to the wrong people when the guy you married doesn't meet your expectations.  Sometimes it can take years to exhaust all the available scapegoats.

Carson has been, at best, inconsistent since the fateful injury he sustained in December 2017.  In that time frame, we have, not coincidentally, used all six of our 1st and 2nd round picks on offensive players.  As a result, not only does the offense continue to struggle, but the defense slowly deteriorates into what we saw today.  We knew we had gaping holes at LB and S and chose to ignore them in favor of a host of skill position guys, all because we thought we needed to get Carson more weapons when really the problem has been him all along.

He's a better QB than he's showed so far this season, but he's also clearly not great.  This is year five.  It's not a coincidence that we won a Lombardi with the current Bears backup.  Those teams were f'in loaded and Carson always got way too much credit and way too little blame because he's been coddled since day one.