I think the Eagles will be good this year and make the playoffs

ManchesterEagle

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The WTF need their defense to be one of those once in a generation types to compete with that putrid offense. Especially since they went from a QB that took care of the ball for an erratic turnover machine. They got a lot worse in my opinion. 

So that leaves the other 3 that did get better in some areas but, not enough to make them better then anyone else in the division. 

Even then it still will not help.

All anyone has to do is key up the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles to see how well a once in a generation defense does with an awful offense.

• Like 1

If there were a division the Eagles could win, it would be the NFCE. 

If they actually do win it, Sirianni will go down as the greatest Eagles coach since Doug Pederson. 

19 hours ago, wyote said:

If there were a division the Eagles could win, it would be the NFCE. 

If they actually do win it, Sirianni will go down as the greatest Eagles coach since Doug Pederson. 

Not entirely sure how to read the 2nd part of your post.  Are you insinuating that Doug is the greatest coach in this franchise’s history or that Sirianni would be the greatest coach in the post Pederson era (which would obviously be a sarcastic remark since he is the only HC since Doug)?

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not entirely sure how to read the 2nd part of your post.  Are you insinuating that Doug is the greatest coach in this franchise’s history or that Sirianni would be the greatest coach in the post Pederson era (which would obviously be a sarcastic remark since he is the only HC since Doug)?

There's only one way to read it.

• Like 1

Optimistic about our offense.  Eagles will rise , or fall depending on how well our defense performs. To me, the secondary is the weak link on this team.

The main Problem with the Eagles is them not having much stability across the roster. At almost every position they have either young unproven players, or old vets showing signs of decline and/or more frequent injuries. Eagles do have a safety net boasting one of the better offensive & defensive lines, that should help them survive in games. But even those groups face some questions marks.

I Doubt the Eagles will be a good team. However they could be an ascending team depending mainly on how Hurts, Mailata, Smith, and Sweat perform this year. To a lesser degree also Quez, Reagor, Gainwell, Zech, Milton. Then having Dickerson likely entering the fold in 2022. Singleton, Hargrave, Sanders, and Goedert all seem set to have strong seasons. Would be nice to see those 4 establish themselves as long term building blocks on this team as well. Outside of those 4, the teams success will largely depend on if majority of our key vets can stay healthy and remain effective. The 2021 Eagles team feels kind of similar to the 2017 Eagles going into the season. Not that the 2021 squad is as talented or has as high of a ceiling, but more of what I’m saying is if certain things click, this team could be much better than most expect and maybe even win the division. It’s just that so many things have to go right. Given the Eagles injury history, uncertainty surrounding the Head coach, track record of draft picks not panning out, and me being wary of betting on unproven young guys at most key positions…..I think Eagles are a much safer bet to be a bad team. I hope I’m wrong. 

See no one can truly just sit there and can expect or accept a bad season. It's not in our fandom to just accept being a bad football team for 1 season until we can bounce back.

You guy say you have no expectations yet are still pissing and moaning over some positions on the team being bad. It's a sure way to lose your minds over the course of the season . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

See no one can truly just sit there and can expect or accept a bad season. It's not in our fandom to just accept being a bad football team for 1 season until we can bounce back.

You guy say you have no expectations yet are still pissing and moaning over some positions on the team being bad. It's a sure way to lose your minds over the course of the season . 

No one wants the team to be bad and no one really wants to sit through a legit rebuild either. I’m hoping some of these young kids will finally take that next step and stay at an elite level. It’s been a while since the Eagles drafted a guy and he ascended to an elite level and consistently stayed there. 

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No one wants the team to be bad and no one really wants to sit through a legit rebuild either. I’m hoping some of these young kids will finally take that next step and stay at an elite level. It’s been a while since the Eagles drafted a guy and he ascended to an elite level and consistently stayed there. 

I don't think Howie has the patience for a complete rebuild. We tried that with Carson. it turned around faster then expected and now this is what we are left with. 

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think Howie has the patience for a complete rebuild. We tried that with Carson. it turned around faster then expected and now this is what we are left with. 

I don’t think any team can afford to have a full rebuild. Besides this is the NFL so no tanking. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:00 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think people actually look at other teams they just see what they did on ESPN and assume they are better. 

I love that they say the Oline for the giants is improved ... Well they were one of the worst lines in the league they have no choice but to get better. Does not mean they will be good just better. Not to mention Fitzpatrick behind the worst line in the league even worse then the giants

I laughed when they said WFT improved at QB. In what world do we live in that Fitzpatrick is an improvement over Alex Smith?? 

The irony of typing the first line and then typing the last escapes you entirely, Alex Smiths sole virtue last year was not being Dwayne Haskins, he was finally the archetypal game manager he's always been dismissed as, an immobile statue playing less than dink and dunk football for 6 TD's and 8 Picks. Fair play to him for making it back on to the field after the horror of his leg, but if you'r asking in what world is Fitzpatrick an improvement over Smith it's this one in the year of our lord 2021.  Kyle Allen and Taylor Henicke both put up better QBR's than Smith for WFT last year

Last year WFT managed to go 5-1 with Smith doing next to nothing and beat us with Dwayne Haskins and 239 yards of total offense (and twice on the year with less than 500yards across both games) this year they have a QB who can do more than just stand there and also has an unhappy knack of making our defense look like an arena football team walked onto the wrong field.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think any team can afford to have a full rebuild. Besides this is the NFL so no tanking. 

I think Howie has a better opportunity than most, even on here most of the fans accept the roster is a bit of a mess and there's a lot of **** contracts that need clearing out of the stables before we get back to seriously challenging, he has a few young pieces in place like Mailata, Smith and Goedert at skill positions, a decent defensive line, a decent if so far unspectacular tailback committee and a second rounder on a rookie deal at QB who may turn out to be a decent QB and the draft capital to replace him if he isn't or build the roster around him if he is.

All I want out of this year is to watch better football than the depressing horror show that was last year, any talk of a division title can wait, just entertain me with decent football and not be a dull as ditchwater turnover machine like we were last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The irony of typing the first line and then typing the last escapes you entirely, Alex Smiths sole virtue last year was not being Dwayne Haskins, he was finally the archetypal game manager he's always been dismissed as, an immobile statue playing less than dink and dunk football for 6 TD's and 8 Picks. Fair play to him for making it back on to the field after the horror of his leg, but if you'r asking in what world is Fitzpatrick an improvement over Smith it's this one in the year of our lord 2021.  Kyle Allen and Taylor Henicke both put up better QBR's than Smith for WFT last year

Last year WFT managed to go 5-1 with Smith doing next to nothing and beat us with Dwayne Haskins and 239 yards of total offense (and twice on the year with less than 500yards across both games) this year they have a QB who can do more than just stand there and also has an unhappy knack of making our defense look like an arena football team walked onto the wrong field.

Yes Smith was a game manager we all know that. While Fitzpatrick can give you more and get the ball down the field he can also kill your team with turnovers. This why he never sticks as a starter.

Their offense is putrid and their defense is elite therefore they can't afford to have a QB like Fitzpatrick who tends to go on streaks where he is having 4 interception games. 

Just because Fitzpatrick lights us up doesn't mean he is any good, just means we are terrible. At some point they will have to bench Fitzpatrick like they do with every team he has ever been on because he can't keep it together for more then 2 or 3 games at a time. Well until he plays us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think Howie has a better opportunity than most, even on here most of the fans accept the roster is a bit of a mess and there's a lot of **** contracts that need clearing out of the stables before we get back to seriously challenging, he has a few young pieces in place like Mailata, Smith and Goedert at skill positions, a decent defensive line, a decent if so far unspectacular tailback committee and a second rounder on a rookie deal at QB who may turn out to be a decent QB and the draft capital to replace him if he isn't or build the roster around him if he is.

All I want out of this year is to watch better football than the depressing horror show that was last year, any talk of a division title can wait, just entertain me with decent football and not be a dull as ditchwater turnover machine like we were last year.

Yeah I’m not in the mood for predicting anything this season. I just want to see if the players fight. Can this coach actually do that coaching? Will Hurts and the young guys improve? Howie created this mess with the contracts and the young talent that hasn’t really taken that next step so far, but he did grab all the draft capital also so it’s more wait and see, but if all this fails Howie should be on the chopping block finally.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

23 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

12 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The roster is something of a mess, but I'm far more worried about the roster in future years then I am this year, particularly about the D. A lot of the young talent we have are in the last year of their contracts (Sweat, Mailata, Goedert, Barnett). A lot of our other good players are in their 30s and starting to decline to various degrees (Cox, Graham, Slay, Kelce, Johnson etc). We also have a few cheap veteran players on 1 year contracts, who I think are great value, but if they play well, they will cost much more to extend. (Harris, Wilson, Nelson). 

I actually think the talent's pretty good for this year. They've filled a few gaping holes from last year and just moderate luck on injuries puts in a much better place. A lot will then come down to Siriani and Hurts. If Hurts in particular works out, then the Eagles can keep Hurts on his rookie deal for now and use next year's draft picks and cap room on restocking the roster. If that happens and some of the picks from the last 2/3 start producing, Howie deserves more time.

If Hurts doesn't work and/or the recent draft picks don't look good, then it is definitely time to move on.

10 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The roster is something of a mess, but I'm far more worried about the roster in future years then I am this year, particularly about the D. A lot of the young talent we have are in the last year of their contracts (Sweat, Mailata, Goedert, Barnett). A lot of our other good players are in their 30s and starting to decline to various degrees (Cox, Graham, Slay, Kelce, Johnson etc). We also have a few cheap veteran players on 1 year contracts, who I think are great value, but if they play well, they will cost much more to extend. (Harris, Wilson, Nelson). 

I actually think the talent's pretty good for this year. They've filled a few gaping holes from last year and just moderate luck on injuries puts in a much better place. A lot will then come down to Siriani and Hurts. If Hurts in particular works out, then the Eagles can keep Hurts on his rookie deal for now and use next year's draft picks and cap room on restocking the roster. If that happens and some of the picks from the last 2/3 start producing, Howie deserves more time.

If Hurts doesn't work and/or the recent draft picks don't look good, then it is definitely time to move on.

I think the defense might actually be good this season, but the offense might take some time. The problem to me is depth. The Eagles are sorely lacking in some areas. They’re somewhat overstocked in others, but a lot of those are unproven guys like at wide receiver. Hurts will be key. 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think the defense might actually be good this season, but the offense might take some time. The problem to me is depth. The Eagles are sorely lacking in some areas. They’re somewhat overstocked in others, but a lot of those are unproven guys like at wide receiver. Hurts will be key. 

That's usually an issue I'm rebuilding yes

On 9/6/2021 at 6:46 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Fitzpatrick was arguably the best of the worst grouping of FA QBs on the market. He is a band-aid on the most important position in football. The only improvement he provides over Alex Smith is that he is not recovering from a gruesome injury that makes he less likely to do certain things.

Don't fool yourself over him. By the time the Eagles play WFT, he will either be benched or they will be rolling with him hoping for a higher draft pick.

36 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Fitzpatrick was arguably the best of the worst grouping of FA QBs on the market. He is a band-aid on the most important position in football. The only improvement he provides over Alex Smith is that he is not recovering from a gruesome injury that makes he less likely to do certain things.

Don't fool yourself over him. By the time the Eagles play WFT, he will either be benched or they will be rolling with him hoping for a higher draft pick.

Sorry, I think you're kidding yourself, Smith was available right there to sign and Rivera decided to go for Fitzpatrick.

Their defense was the third best in terms of points conceded in the entire league last year, Fitzpatrick is never going to Canton, but he is better than last years model Alex Smith, if they could go 5-1 with Alex Smith, they're plenty good enough to go 10-7 with Fitzpatrick, and I suspect that may well be too rich for us.

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sorry, I think you're kidding yourself, Smith was available right there to sign and Rivera decided to go for Fitzpatrick.

Their defense was the third best in terms of points conceded in the entire league last year, Fitzpatrick is never going to Canton, but he is better than last years model Alex Smith, if they could go 5-1 with Alex Smith, they're plenty good enough to go 10-7 with Fitzpatrick, and I suspect that may well be too rich for us.

So you expect a QB who has been in the NFL for 16 years and has only posted 1 season where he had more wins then loses (unless you count his 4-3 season of last year) to come into a team and guide them to a 10-7 record? All because of WFT has a good defense?

They did not resign Alex Smith because he was done. It was not brave or honorable for him to get back on the field after that injury last year, it was stupid. He played scared, for obvious reasons, and it showed. Even with that all of that he was and still is a better QB then Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They took what was the best QB available, which is not saying much at all. He is only a half a step above Dalton and Flacco and that might be giving him too much credit.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

So you expect a QB who has been in the NFL for 16 years and has only posted 1 season where he had more wins then loses (unless you count his 4-3 season of last year) to come into a team and guide them to a 10-7 record? All because of WFT has a good defense?

They did not resign Alex Smith because he was done. It was not brave or honorable for him to get back on the field after that injury last year, it was stupid. He played scared, for obvious reasons, and it showed. Even with that all of that he was and still is a better QB then Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They took what was the best QB available, which is not saying much at all. He is only a half a step above Dalton and Flacco and that might be giving him too much credit.

Exactly, he is going to be a detriment to that defense. Fitzpatrick has only played 3 16 games seasons. With a whopping total of 76 turnovers to 79 touchdowns. That's 25 turnovers a season 1 of those seasons alone he threw 23 interceptions and had 7 fumbles. Oh and only had a 60% completion.

If that is an improvement at QB I feel sorry for them, he is 38 years old he is only going to get worse cause those numbers are from the prime of his career. 

Just cause he lights up our sorry ass defense every year cause we get moronic defensive coordinators does not make Fitzpatrick an improvement. Dude is a turnover machine. 

Off the bench and limited action he is great but, you want him to be your starter all year they will be in for a long ass season

This Eagles team has a lot of ifs. If Sirianni knows how to coach. If Hurts develops as a NFL QB. If the O line stays healthy. If the D line stays healthy, etc. If the ifs work out, the Eagles can then get 7-10 wins. I'm ready for football. Lets Go!

I only see them at around 6-11. Anything above that will be better than what I thought they could do THIS year, and I hope they do way better than how I see them right now.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I only see them at around 6-11. Anything above that will be better than what I thought they could do THIS year, and I hope they do way better than how I see them right now.

giphy.gif

I keep going back and forth on it. I think they have the players to be better but, that only happens if the players themselves actually get better and stay healthy of course. I think the defense has a lot of good veteran players and could be pretty good but, it will only take a few injuries or a few older players to fall off a cliff performance wise to fall apart

• Like 1