NFL Rumors: Eagles Trading Andre Dillard to Chicago Bears?

time2rock

NFL Rumors: Eagles Trading Andre Dillard to Chicago Bears?

• Updated Sep 17, 2021 at 11:39am
Andre Dillard Bears trade

Getty:  Offensive lineman Andre Dillard of the Philadelphia Eagles is the subject of trade rumors right now.

Andre Dillard’s days wearing midnight green appear to be limited. The Philadelphia Eagles inked Jordan Mailata to a four-year contract extension last week in the biggest vote of confidence yet that they are committed to him being the franchise left tackle.

Dillard – the 22nd overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft – has been reduced to hotel fire alarm status: break glass in case of emergency. The 6-foot-5, 315-pounder is serving as the backup blind-side blocker behind Mailata.

It’s important to have depth at arguably the most important position on the field. Especially after the Eagles placed veteran tackle Le’Raven Clark on injured reserve. Brett Toth is the only other healthy option on the 53-man roster, although the team protected guard/tackle Kayode Awosika on the practice squad.

Still, Dillard has been mentioned more than once in trade talks dating back to training camp. The former first-round pick could fetch something from a tackle-needy team. Remember, the Carolina Panthers unloaded Greg Little (37th pick in 2019) for seventh-rounder. Dillard went 15 picks ahead of Little.

greger.JPG.56ffca9f7b78b247a9573721e4bb542e.JPG

Chicago Bears Ideal Trade Partner

The Chicago Bears were so desperate for offensive line help that they signed Jason Peters back on Aug. 14. The 39-year-old played 32 offensive snaps in Week 1 before exiting with a quadriceps injury. He has been limited in practice all week, plus he looked shaky versus the Los Angeles Rams.

The Bears are in a bind because rookie left tackle Larry Borom has an ankle injury, leaving backup right tackle Elijah Wilkinson as the only real option. Wilkinson did see 22 snaps at left tackle this past Sunday, but their confidence level in him remains low after an underwhelming camp.

Enter Dillard. The 25-year-old could be available on a relatively cheap deal, and Eagles general manager Howie Roseman might want to get something for him before it’s too late. It’s not out of the question to ask for a future fifth-rounder – Chicago has two of them in 2022 – for Dillard. Maybe Roseman could get the Bears to throw in injured running back Tarik Cohen to sweeten the pot. He’s a dangerous return man.

Nick Sirianni Sticks Up for Dillard

The Eagles have reiterated all summer that they won’t hold onto Dillard – or any other player, for that matter – just because he was a high draft pick. If there’s a deal to be made, they will make it. However, the team’s lack of depth at the tackle spot definitely presents an additional hurdle.

greger2.JPG.e4f03fa7d664c4db288302f4dda9d077.JPG

Nick Sirianni blamed injuries for Dillard losing the starting job coming out of camp. The first-year head coach thought Dillard played well in limited snaps, adding that he was happy to have both Mailata and Dillard on the roster.

"I don’t want to short Andre here at all. He played – when he was in, he played really well,” Sirianni said, "and he played a phenomenal last preseason game, and I thought that was the case also in the Jets practices, as well. Again, we’re not – you don’t just say, ‘Hey, here’s one game, here’s a splash game and we’re just doing everything based off of that.’ The whole body of work is at play, and I’m just sure glad that we got both those guys on this roster.”

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/andre-dillard-bears-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR24GyQt1dyHnMpdO3rAU73krJP2WKdDGMHLlr5HK6KHRrK7iVPiX_MSn5Q

1 hour ago, Talkingbirds said:

No.  Not for a 5th and injured rb/kr.

I'd take that in a heart beat. Cohen can be a weapon in the right scheme and he's a good KR too. A fifth plus Cohen for Dillard? Absolutely yes. 

Cheap articles try to get the unearned clicks by making up unsubstantiated trade rumors based on pure speculation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

It’s not out of the question to ask for a future fifth-rounder

No way - take the Bear to the cleaners, their coach and GM are on the hot seat. a 2 and a 4. 

Mike Gregor is an idiot and if Howie did move Dillard for a 5th I'm sure Gregor would then write an article criticizing Howie for drafting Dillard in the first place. 

Maybe Joe Douglas, the guy who ran the draft that brought Dillard here would like him since Mekhi Becton is out with an injury. 

• Like 2

No way for a 5th and if Cohen is in the mix, he's not needed. We got enough RBs. A 5th is not worth not having a backup for Mailata. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

No way for a 5th and if Cohen is in the mix, he's not needed. We got enough RBs. A 5th is not worth not having a backup for Mailata. 

But if they don't think that back up can play...

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if they don't think that back up can play...

We know JJAW can't play, he's still here.

• Like 1

If they can't get at least a 3rd rounder for him, then keep him as a backup.  why the f--- would you give him away for a 5th and a banged up RB that they don't need.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Portyansky said:

We know JJAW can't play, he's still here.

That's a fair point! But also we don't know if there's even a market for JJAW. I mean there may not be for Dillard but there are at least rumours. 

I think a 5th and Cohen would be stupid. I would rather keep him for depth and try to give him reps at rt as well. But like another poster said, nagy and co. Are on the hot seat, fleece them...a 2nd and a 4th would convince me. I like our rb depth so Cohen as much as I like him could affect chemistry due to Sanders being insecure possibly tho that could fuel them as well...who knows really

Just now, Skitoe said:

I think a 5th and Cohen would be stupid. I would rather keep him for depth and try to give him reps at rt as well

I'm not saying he couldn't switch across given time... But it seems unlikely. I mean he was a complete disaster there in his rookie year and his comments before he even played there were far from encouraging. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not saying he couldn't switch across given time... But it seems unlikely. I mean he was a complete disaster there in his rookie year and his comments before he even played there were far from encouraging. 

I do agree he was horrible in the past at rt... but in the case of a lane johnson injury (knocking on wood) who do you put there? I would much rather keep Jordan at lt and try dilliard at rt instead of putting Jordan at rt and Andre at lt..and so if that's how I play it I have to start getting Dillard some practice. 

12 minutes ago, Skitoe said:

I do agree he was horrible in the past at rt... but in the case of a lane johnson injury (knocking on wood) who do you put there? I would much rather keep Jordan at lt and try dilliard at rt instead of putting Jordan at rt and Andre at lt..and so if that's how I play it I have to start getting Dillard some practice. 

At this point in time I'm not sure they'd have a lot of choice. I think they'd have to move Mailata across just purely because Dillard can't play there and Driscoll is on IR.

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

At this point in time I'm not sure they'd have a lot of choice. I think they'd have to move Mailata across just purely because Dillard can't play there and Driscoll is on IR.

You may be right..I'd be ok if that's how they felt if and when its necessary but only if they did everything they could to try and develop him there to the point of it's not gonna happen or that jordan is athletic enough that it doesnt take his game away and than Dillard can still be efficient enough. I imagine they try an extra lineman with Dickerson to help out if that's the case

But if andre can pick up any semblance of success at rt, I think the same thing applies with Dickerson to help, as well as goedart to help, I'd rather hurts see it than be blind sided...

1 hour ago, Skitoe said:

You may be right..I'd be ok if that's how they felt if and when its necessary but only if they did everything they could to try and develop him there to the point of it's not gonna happen or that jordan is athletic enough that it doesnt take his game away and than Dillard can still be efficient enough. I imagine they try an extra lineman with Dickerson to help out if that's the case

This is year 3 for Dillard now? I thought his rookie year he looked pretty good at LT. Then unfortunately last year he got hurt after being named the starter. This year he came in to camp with this apparent new attitude etc but then proceeded to pretty much stink. That's not encouraging really is it?

I agree - he’s worth more than a 5th for depth. A conditional pick where if he starts more than 50% of the offensive snaps becomes a third would be good for everyone. He was a first round pick who did well at LT as a rookie. He may be a suitable starter again for someone and for a conditional pick that is a third if he pans out at one of the most imprtant positions, it’s still a bargain. Plus he’s healthy. 

I wouldn’t do any deal that is conditional for Dillard…if someone wants a LT with experience, then pony up a solid pick (3rd minimum) or look elsewhere…none of this number of snaps nonsense…

20 hours ago, EagleTen said:

I wouldn’t do any deal that is conditional for Dillard…if someone wants a LT with experience, then pony up a solid pick (3rd minimum) or look elsewhere…none of this number of snaps nonsense…

LT "with experience” …

On 9/18/2021 at 8:40 AM, Procus said:

Cheap articles try to get the unearned clicks by making up unsubstantiated trade rumors based on pure speculation.

Agreed.

This is no different than any TATER posting an idea.  There are also assumptions about trading players just because someone is signed.  They need O line depth because the last several years they have suffered injuries, and now again with Brandon Brooks.  

• Like 1