Brandon Graham done for the year

Procus

Who is now active on game day? Assuming Bonehead Barnett on one side, Sweat on another. Ryan Kerrigan rotate and who else?

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

... and the point I tried to make earlier today was that veterans aren't looking for team-friendly deals. They want the security of longer term deals. Ideally we'd offer Lane a 1-year deal at the vet minimum and he'd say, "Yeah, sure! I love it here!" Wake me up when that happens. 

Yeah they've done shorter terms with guys before. The "cap genius" handcuffs them to these guys instead of letting them become free agents and get younger. At least on the lines they have some guys they can replace.  You roll with Sweat & Barnett, you've got the best O line coach to develop replacements. Or sign younger free agents as stop gaps. You don't need this many guys getting paid on IR with cap hits that you can't cut them for 2-3 years.

• Like 1

At his age with a injury like this at his position. I think it's all but over. I know achilles injuries don't seem that big anymore but still

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Howie "the cap guru" extended Graham, but also extended Barnett and Sweat. Now stuck with Graham's contract.

Screenshot_20210919-163022_Chrome.jpg

man.... he should have seen this injury coming. what an idiot Howie is to extend a player before a season ending injury. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

man.... he should have seen this injury coming. what an idiot Howie is to extend a player before a season ending injury. 

Well, we have older players and have been nothing but injured the last two years, so, yeah, should have seen it coming.

22 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah that's totally what I said. :rolleyes:

No, he shouldn't have signed so many older guys to such long term contracts when they are on the decline or injured like BG, Brooks, Johnson, Cox, previously Jeffrey, Jackson...

13 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

It was not an extension, it was a restructure that Howie was forced to do due to his own cap mismanagement.  Now the Eagles are stuck with a 33 year old defensive end coming off an Achilles injury at a minimum through his age 35 season, and even then, there is zero cap savings and a 10.1 million dead cap hit to get rid of him in 2024.

Sucks that BG got hurt. It’s a tough way for him to go out, but honestly they should’ve never resigned him to begin with or traded him last season to a contender. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sucks that BG got hurt. It’s a tough way for him to go out, but honestly they should’ve never resigned him to begin with or traded him last season to a contender. 

And the Eagles are now stuck with him through 2023

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

And the Eagles are now stuck with him through 2023

We were "stuck" with him for every game of the past 8 years.

And "stuck" with him in the SB when he slapped that ball outta the GOAT's hand.

I for one will be happy to be "stuck" with him through 2023.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:23 PM, NOTW said:

Yeah they've done shorter terms with guys before. The "cap genius" handcuffs them to these guys instead of letting them become free agents and get younger. At least on the lines they have some guys they can replace.  You roll with Sweat & Barnett, you've got the best O line coach to develop replacements. Or sign younger free agents as stop gaps. You don't need this many guys getting paid on IR with cap hits that you can't cut them for 2-3 years.

You know if he actually drafted better this would be less of an issue. Just consider if Dillard turned out to be decent and Mialata as well then they don’t need to restructure and extend Johnson again, but it didn’t turn out that way. Howie’s poor drafts selections year after year are making them keep older and more injury prone veterans longer. Of course he doesn’t help the situation by constantly drafting young college players who drop in the draft due to injuries too. It’s like this dude is obsessed with keeping guys who or more likely to be injured. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You know if he actually drafted better this would be less of an issue. Just consider if Dillard turned out to be decent and Mialata as well then they don’t need to restructure and extend Johnson again, but it didn’t turn out that way. Howie’s poor drafts selections year after year are making them keep older and more injury prone veterans longer. Of course he doesn’t help the situation by constantly drafting young college players who drop in the draft due to injuries too. It’s like this dude is obsessed with keeping guys who or more likely to be injured. 

Yep, we've been saying for years he has to extend these older guys beyond when he should to make up for his bad drafting. At some point a GM has to be held accountable for the primary method of building a team which is the draft.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, NOTW said:

A GM has to think future, and have drafted a replacement so you don't have to pay older guys to sit on IR.

Which is why you try to accumulate draft picks.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Which is why you try to accumulate draft picks.

Well he does, then he either trades them to move up, acquire a proven player (because he can't draft) or he just flat out drafts poorly.  That's why with the two 1sts next year and the Colts 2nd I wish he would just use them.  The higher the pick, the more likely he won't screw it up.  I believe that in the later rounds the reason they get some decent guys is because at that point he doesn't know the players and isn't trying to make a big splash, he just goes by the board, the scouts and the coaches.  Stoutland says he likes an O lineman, Howie takes him and Stoutland develops him. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well he does, then he either trades them to move up, acquire a proven player (because he can't draft) or he just flat out drafts poorly.  That's why with the two 1sts next year and the Colts 2nd I wish he would just use them.  The higher the pick, the more likely he won't screw it up.  I believe that in the later rounds the reason they get some decent guys is because at that point he doesn't know the players and isn't trying to make a big splash, he just goes by the board, the scouts and the coaches.  Stoutland says he likes an O lineman, Howie takes him and Stoutland develops him. 

Don't you get tired of saying the same sheet over and over again with the same people every year over and over again? Lol. 

Howie drafts like sheet turn the effing page already. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't you get tired of saying the same sheet over and over again with the same people every year over and over again? Lol. 

Howie drafts like sheet turn the effing page already. 

There's always someone new to educate. I'm here to help.  :smoke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I am really curious about - with all the Howie bashing over draft management - is some sort of comparison which correlates a team's success with how well it manages the cap.  I would think that if the cap continues to rise (notwithstanding 2020 which was an aberration), then much of this conversation is academic.  If not, and if the cap shrinks, then yes, this is problematic.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

There's always someone new to educate. I'm here to help.  :smoke:

Amazing. It's like you're...not of this world, or something like that...

:whistle: 

• Like 2