Matt Corral (Mississippi QB) -- DRAFTED BY CAROLINA #94

Godfather

4 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

I think they should sit with the position they are slotted - and take who falls to them. I am not convinced that either Corral or Pickett are clearly superior prospect than the other and don't want to burn multiple draft assets on either but one of the three firsts, sure. We have an issue - let address it. The other 2 can go to DE and DB.

Drafts are hard to tell sometimes - who had Mac Jones as most successful rookie QB over Lawrence, Fields etc (yes team drafting and talent around them has a lot to do with it).

Exactly!

If you look at the teams picking ahead of us, multiple like the Texans, Lions and maybe the Giants might want to take a QB. But are they willing to use that high of a pick on one in a mediocre class?

Especially the Texans and Lions? Are they really gonna pass on blue chip prospects like Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Stingley and Hamilton for Corral or Pickett?! I’d be stunned if they do.

Therefor I believe either or both Corral and Pickett will be available when we’re on the clock if we do end up with a top 10 pick.

Eagles could take Pickett or Corral and still come up with a Leal, Karlaftis, Davis, Enagbare, Obajo, Linderbaum, Green, Gardner, Booth, Elam, Dean, Lloyd or a combination of any of those players if their picks end up high enough.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Exactly!

If you look at the teams picking ahead of us, multiple like the Texans, Lions and maybe the Giants might want to take a QB. But are they willing to use that high of a pick on one in a mediocre class?

Especially the Texans and Lions? Are they really gonna pass on blue chip prospects like Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Stingley and Hamilton for Corral or Pickett?! I’d be stunned if they do.

Therefor I believe either or both Corral and Pickett will be available when we’re on the clock if we do end up with a top 10 pick.

Eagles could take Pickett or Corral and still come up with a Leal, Karlaftis, Davis, Enagbare, Obajo, Linderbaum, Green, Gardner, Booth, Elam, Dean, Lloyd or a combination of any of those players if their picks end up high enough.

I sure as hell wouldn't pass on Thibodeaux or Hutchinson for a QB. If we somehow end up with a really high pick, would love to grab one of them.

In our current position, I am fine with taking either QB with our top pick (around 8-12 mark). The class is deep at DE and CB which are two critical needs so that helps - still have good options in the teens at those positions. I love Obajo and Sauce. LB options are pretty good too but just dont know if Howie can bring himself to do it - will likely wait till Rd 2 or 3, especially with Edwards and Taylor showing a little something in recent weeks. 

15 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

I sure as hell wouldn't pass on Thibodeaux or Hutchinson for a QB. If we somehow end up with a really high pick, would love to grab one of them.

In our current position, I am fine with taking either QB with our top pick (around 8-12 mark). The class is deep at DE and CB which are two critical needs so that helps - still have good options in the teens at those positions. I love Obajo and Sauce. LB options are pretty good too but just dont know if Howie can bring himself to do it - will likely wait till Rd 2 or 3, especially with Edwards and Taylor showing a little something in recent weeks. 

Indeed!

You could literally come away with Corral/Pickett, Sauce and Obajo, Leal, Karlaftis or Enagbare on day one. Might not be as flashy as say Hutch or Thibodeaux, a corner and something else but still a good haul IMO.

If they are lucky and Howie really wants to address the LB or S position, he could potentially grab Harris or Smith or one of the safeties left on the board in the second round what would make the haul even better.

Do we have a definitive sense of what his height is?

ESPN has him listed at 6ft flat, while wiki and 247 has him at 6"2.

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Do we have a definitive sense of what his height is?

ESPN has him listed at 6ft flat, while wiki and 247 has him at 6"2.

What's 2 inches between friends?

@probably that's one for your mum. 

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t get the Dalton comparison, unlike him, Corral has a live arm and is drastically more athletic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Don’t get the Dalton comparison, unlike him, Corral has a live arm and is drastically more athletic.

Maybe you are too young to remember the young Andy Dalton from his Bengals days. He was quite athletic. 

Height, Weight, avg arm strength and the type of routes he likes to throw is very similar to Dalton in his younger days. He has the same ability to move out of the pocket and run the read option style offense. 

Never liked Dalton though so I know I wont like Corral. When I said simular things about Reagor people said i was wrong and when I said i was upset when he was drafted, people said I need to give him a chance. I'm usually more right then wrong with my views. My view on Corral is he will be another one of those Sam Darnold type of players who will be thrown around a few teams until the league understands he is a backup at best. 

On 12/30/2021 at 5:38 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Same

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32975990/ole-miss-rebels-quarterback-matt-corral-leaves-sugar-bowl-vs-baylor-bears-injury

Corral's injury could potentially cause his draft stock to fall, not necessarily because of the injury itself, but the opportunity for other QBs to impress in the pre-draft process during workouts and the Combine. On a side note, this makes Kenny Pickett's decision to sit out his bowl game look that much smarter with regards to securing draft stock.

19 hours ago, Godfather said:

Anyone know how serious his injury is?

That ”Injury Dr” guy on Twitter said it wouldn’t hurt his draft stock, but grain of salt and all that

On 1/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, Godfather said:

Anyone know how serious his injury is?

Someone on Twitter said they expect every QB at the Senior Bowl, but Corral.   Which if it’s just a sprain doesn’t make sense plus there’s no reported MRI either.  

High ankle sprain.  Huge sigh of relief from his camp.

• 2 weeks later...

i like Corral, he just reminds me of Wentz in terms of being reckless with his body on the field. Not sure his frame will hold up if he doesnt learn to slide at the next level. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

i like Corral, he just reminds me of Wentz in terms of being reckless with his body on the field. Not sure his frame will hold up if he doesnt learn to slide at the next level. 

And that's a concern because I don't think you can teach someone to go against their instincts. He's going to run the ball if he feels he needs to and he's going to put himself in some situations where he's going to get hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's a concern because I don't think you can teach someone to go against their instincts. He's going to run the ball if he feels he needs to and he's going to put himself in some situations where he's going to get hit.

Yep and he's listed at 6'1 205. The NFL has humbled much larger dual threat QB's than that so he will definitely need to learn how to slide. Strong is my guy but i dont see Howie falling in love with any of these QB's so it's most likely Hurts next year which is fine, i guess. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

7 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Yep and he's listed at 6'1 205. The NFL has humbled much larger dual threat QB's than that so he will definitely need to learn how to slide. Strong is my guy but i dont see Howie falling in love with any of these QB's so it's most likely Hurts next year which is fine, i guess. 

People are talking themselves into Pickett, Corral etc, but they would be second rounders in most years. 

I'm all for a trade back with one of our firsts to pick up an extra first/second for next year when the QB class is strong. The D needs young talent in the worst way, Howie can't keep ignoring it.

• Like 2

Never mind his injury hurting his draft stock, the interception he threw in the opening drive was absolutely godawful, go watch it, he threw a rainbow that any of four Baylor defenders could've picked off.

Pickett I can see an argument for, but Corral is a product of the media needing QB's to go first round, he isn't good enough. I'd take Bailey Zappe over him and you could get him late day 2.

The more I watch Corral, the more he reminds me of Zach WIlson.   That definitely isn't my preference.   I do think he is a decent QB and an upgrade over our current situation, but I don't see him as a long term franchise guy.  Pickett, Strong, and Howell better.  Someone will take Corral in Round 1 though.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:08 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

People are talking themselves into Pickett, Corral etc, but they would be second rounders in most years. 

I'm all for a trade back with one of our firsts to pick up an extra first/second for next year when the QB class is strong. The D needs young talent in the worst way, Howie can't keep ignoring it.

Where someone "should" be drafted does not matter. There are more stars coming out of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round and so on then projected first round QBs. 

The key is do they have NFL QB skills and are they in the right situation with team, coach, scheme, culture and personal behind them. 

Me personally I only see Pickett and Strong as those type of QBs in this draft that have the NFL skills as a QB. I don;t care about if they  have amazing athletic abilities and can run fast. Can they read a defense? Can they read progressions? Can they throw an accurate ball? Can they read the field? Sadly there are a TON of guys drafted early that all of those answers to the questions is No because of one word.....Potential. Its also the word that goes hand in hand with Bust.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...