Matt Corral (Mississippi QB) -- DRAFTED BY CAROLINA #94

Godfather

5 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The RPO offense at Ole Miss didn't require him to make many reads, his learning curve is going to be steep to play at NFL level and there seems to be some confusion about his height, I've seen him listed at everything from 5'11" to 6'2", his numbers are good but not other worldly, most mock drafts have him bottom of the 1st, Jeremiah doesn't think he'll go first round.

He's basically what we have now with extra mustard on the arm and less in the legs. 

8 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I trust Simms' ability to evaluate QBs about as much as I do Howie's ability to draft.  

• Like 2

Brian Johnson was at the Pro Day and met with Corral informally, and it was hinted there may be a top-30 visit coming

• Like 1

Corral has a nice arm, quick feet and a quick release. I feel long-term he has a much better projection than Jalen. Wish he was 2-3" taller.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, Outlaw said:

Corral has a nice arm, quick feet and a quick release. I feel long-term he has a much better projection than Jalen. Wish he was 2-3" taller.

I watched Corral several games this year which is unusual for me who doesn't watch a ton of college ball.  I really like the way Corral snaps the ball over the middle.  Can imagine great things with him & DeVonta.  That said I worry about his size & injury risk. In my head using pick 19 on him rather trying to theoretically parlay that pick into next year to maybe get a QB is definitely worth a shot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I watched Corral several games this year which is unusual for me who doesn't watch a ton of college ball.  I really like the way Corral snaps the ball over the middle.  Can imagine great things with him & DeVonta.  That said I worry about his size & injury risk. In my head using pick 19 on him rather trying to theoretically parlay that pick into next year to maybe get a QB is definitely worth a shot.

I think Corral can be a success in the NFL but he's going to need the right system. I don't know if ours can be that for him but I think he can succeed. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Corral can be a success in the NFL but he's going to need the right system. I don't know if ours can be that for him but I think he can succeed. 

I'm honestly not sure what our system will be in 2 years.

20 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I'm honestly not sure what our system will be in 2 years.

Agreed.  Hard to even say what is now since they tried installing a pass heavy attack but were forced to change to an offense centered on the run (whether that was due to limitations of the QB or lack of legit WR options … or a combo of both).  Going to be interesting to see what they try to do come September.  

Just now, time2rock said:

Agreed.  Hard to even say what is now since they tried installing a pass heavy attack but were forced to change to an offense centered on the run (whether that was due to limitations of the QB or lack of legit WR options … or a combo of both).  Going to be interesting to see what they try to do come September.  

Ultimately I think if the Eagles don't like a QB in this draft then they should trade as many  1's from this year as they can to get 1's from next year.  That's super boring in the short term but probably the smart move imo

12 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Ultimately I think if the Eagles don't like a QB in this draft then they should trade as many  1's from this year as they can to get 1's from next year.  That's super boring in the short term but probably the smart move imo

I think part of the problem though is that this team has so many needs. It needs to draft good young players to build a good roster. A franchise QB can cover many holes but this roster has too many I think. They need the picks this year and then multiple next year.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think part of the problem though is that this team has so many needs. It needs to draft good young players to build a good roster. A franchise QB can cover many holes but this roster has too many I think. They need the picks this year and then multiple next year.

Agreed.  I don't want any of the "top QB's" from this year's crop.  Use these picks to build the rest o the team and give Hurts a chance to surprise us.  Assuming he doesn't, we've got ammunition to look toward a QB a year from now.  And, at that point, the rest of the roster can be stronger.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ilikepargo said:

Agreed.  I don't want any of the "top QB's" from this year's crop.  Use these picks to build the rest o the team and give Hurts a chance to surprise us.  Assuming he doesn't, we've got ammunition to look toward a QB a year from now.  And, at that point, the rest of the roster can be stronger.

Exactly. I think we are now in the perfect situation. Plenty of picks this year (and still 5 within the first 101 picks) to add good young players to this roster. Then if Hurts shows real improvement we have more high picks next year to continue that. If he doesn't then we use those picks to add one of the top QBs in the draft with a better roster.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly. I think we are now in the perfect situation. Plenty of picks this year (and still 5 within the first 101 picks) to add good young players to this roster. Then if Hurts shows real improvement we have more high picks next year to continue that. If he doesn't then we use those picks to add one of the top QBs in the draft with a better roster.

Ditto on both of these posts!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

27 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Ditto on both of these posts!  

Yeah all of this. The Eagles genuinely want to see what they have in Hurts, but they are not naive enough to think he has shown enough. 

Although the Hurts haters are clamoring for any replacement, the right move is to stock up for a QB draft that is meant to be much stronger, whilst giving Hurts another year to earn the job. 

Incredible move in that the Eagles might have been able to get a first from Kansas, Buffalo or Green Bay for 2023, but that pick would almost certainly be 25-32. To get a pick from the Saints, who should be in the 10-15 range, but could possibly be top 10 was a masterstroke. 

Now he needs to nail the draft, not his strength, but let's hope that 2021 was the start of improved drafting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Although the Hurts haters are clamoring for any replacement, the right move is to stock up for a QB draft that is meant to be much stronger, whilst giving Hurts another year to earn the job. 

Yeah this is why I can't really get on board with taking a QB this year. Not after the trade a few days ago. Look if they do their due diligence on say Pickett and for some reason he falls to them then that's a little different. 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Our system got Hurts into the playoffs, Corral would be fine

On 4/2/2022 at 5:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On 4/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, downundermike said:

Our system got Hurts into the playoffs, Corral would be fine

Do we even know what our "system" is?  Sirianni and Steichen started the 2021 season trying to install a pass heavy offense that sputtered for various reasons so they scrapped that and went to a run focused scheme.  If I had to guess, they were hoping that would be a temporary solution and would prefer something that more resembles what they initially tried to install (but we just don't know).  How they start the season will be telling IMO ... they should want to see what kind of improvement Hurts (assuming he is still the starting QB here ... not entirely a safe assumption) may have made in his passing game and follow a similar plan that they did last year (perhaps with a tad more balance ... they were entirely too pass heavy early last year ... it felt like Reid all over again).  If they come out of the gate run heavy, then maybe they are more locked into that type of offense.  We shall see.  

• Like 1

NFL Draft: Quarterback evaluations from coaches around the league - Sports Illustrated

.....there was this take from an offensive coordinator: "He’s kind of a mess. … His offense was a true college offense, he pushes the ball, he plays reckless with his body, he won’t hold up playing the way he did in college. And there are character concerns. I’m not sure you want him leading your program, his sorts of issues aren’t the kind solved by giving a kid millions of dollars.”

Oh yikes ay GIF on GIFER - by Maugis