Matt Corral (Mississippi QB) -- DRAFTED BY CAROLINA #94

Godfather

On 10/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, Godfather said:

We already have a Tua at qb

It would be ironic if Tua chased Hurts out of another town though lol. 

I'm taking Corral ... have to read the board as to who else would be taking QB early as to which pick we would have to use but I'm

hoping to see him in Eagle green next year.. even if he sits behind Minshew for the year but  I don't think they would.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, Godfather said:

Looks like an NFL qb. He's got an arm and if anyone saw the game Saturday night he can connect on the deep ball

I watched that game, he concerns me a bit as anyone who is a college option QB who is fantastic running the ball. Yeah he can throw it accurately, but can he become a pocket passer who uses his legs only when he needs to? Or will you be right back where we are today with a college option QB trying to play in the NFL? 

On 10/3/2021 at 6:01 PM, Uscg-green said:

I'm a Bama fan so I watched him yesterday. They got smoked but yeah the kids got it. 

Bama defense makes allot of guys look awful. I actually don't think he was that bad considering. 

Matt Corral is the man, I have no idea who that guy was watching, 21-29, 213, 1 TD, 0 Int 

Last year's when the Bama's defense was much better than it is this year, 21-28, 365, 2 TDs, 0 Int

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, EagleVA said:

Matt Corral is the man, I have no idea who that guy was watching, 21-29, 213, 1 TD, 0 Int 

Last year's when the Bama's defense was much better than it is this year, 21-28, 365, 2 TDs, 0 Int

It was 35 - 0 into the 3rd Quarter when Ole Miss scored their first points about ~8mins in.  Corral didn't look like a 1st round QB prospect when it mattered in the game and those stats are padded in garbage time.

I don't hate the guy. I would probably prefer to see him on the Eagles at this point vs Hurts.  I just don't love him as a first round QB.

45 minutes ago, proveagle said:

It was 35 - 0 into the 3rd Quarter when Ole Miss scored their first points about ~8mins in.  Corral didn't look like a 1st round QB prospect when it mattered in the game and those stats are padded in garbage time.

I don't hate the guy. I would probably prefer to see him on the Eagles at this point vs Hurts.  I just don't love him as a first round QB.

I think the problem is that's true of all the QBs this year. All of them have some really good positive traits but they also come with some flags and concerns. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, proveagle said:

All I can say is I'm not easily impressed and Corral impresses me, I see Joey M all over again......yes, that's Montana.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

All I can say is I'm not easily impressed and Corral impresses me, I see Joey M all over again......yes, that's Montana.

Interesting. I have to say I do like what I see. I think he's my favourite QB right now. I do have concerns though and not even just his size. 

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I would be happy with that, and if the Eagles got him of course.  I just see a high variance in the pick and that's not something I like in the first round.

I like how he gritted it out vs Auburn this weekend and his post game presser impressed me from a accountability / leadership perspective.

I would also much prefer a dude that competed in SEC vs ACC or whatever scrub league Liberty is in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

His game is very similar to a right handed Steve Young, especially the head first running style and throwing accuracy.  Hopefully, wherever he goes, he puts on 10-15lbs. 

48 minutes ago, proveagle said:

I would also much prefer a dude that competed in SEC vs ACC or whatever scrub league Liberty is in.

Right, level of competition matters bigtime.

When you look at Willis vs Corral and you don't take into account competition you'd have to give the edge to Willis because of the stronger arm, other than that they're a push, problem is you'd be a fool to not factor in competition.

Corral also seems to handle himself better in the pocket.

2 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

His game is very similar to a right handed Steve Young, especially the head first running style and throwing accuracy.  Hopefully, wherever he goes, he puts on 10-15lbs. 

Right, he is kinda smallish but so was Joe.

• Like 2

Watching Willis vs Corral, it is blatantly evident that Corral is the superior prospect.

And I'm not even the biggest Corral fan.

• Like 1

From Lance Zierlein after this game, scout for NFL Media:

Corral plays with excellent ball-handling and has a more efficient release that allows him to get the ball out quickly. He could play in any passing scheme, but an offense that emphasizes the quick game, RPOs and a timing-based passing attack seem to make the most sense for him. I see a player with similar setup and release quickness to Zach Wilson when he was coming out of BYU last season.

Looks like the kind of QB Lowie would want.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Watching Willis vs Corral, it is blatantly evident that Corral is the superior prospect.

And I'm not even the biggest Corral fan.

I'm not sure I'd call him the superior prospect, I look at Corral as being a more sure thing at this point because you really don't know what you have in Willis because of the competition he's played against.

Superior takes on the idea of being better in all respects and there are too many factors involved to come to that conclusion, factors like overall team talent and coaching among others. 

14 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not sure I'd call him the superior prospect, I look at Corral as being a more sure thing at this point because you really don't know what you have in Willis because of the competition he's played against.

Hmm... Willis has superior traits and he's got that raw athleticism and tools to work with. But he's a turnover machine and he's not playing against great competition. That is a real worry. 

• Like 1

That game has probably nailed down the coffin lid on Willis as a first round prospect, his footwork was bad so he made too many throws off a bad platform, he held the ball way too long over and over again, he threw 3 awful picks but it could've been 5 or 6 and he doesn't protect himself, he's basically all the worst traits of Wentz and Hurts combined. 

All that said honestly I still don't rate either as high first round prospects Corral will probably get taken 1st round, but this is a bad year to be in need of a QB,  the Lions are almost certainly heading for the first overall pick looking to replace Jared Goff when the QB's available are arguably not even at Goff's level.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

That game has probably nailed down the coffin lid on Willis as a first round prospect, his footwork was bad so he made too many throws off a bad platform, he held the ball way too long over and over again, he threw 3 awful picks but it could've been 5 or 6 and he doesn't protect himself, he's basically all the worst traits of Wentz and Hurts combined. 

I didn't see the game but it sounds like Liberty was overmatched talent wise, you make throws off of bad platforms when you're under enormous pressure and you hold the ball because everyone is covered or you're running for you life and anyone that's open is on the other side of the field from where you're running.

Take Wentz last year, was he really as bad as he looked or were there other factors that had nothing to do with him that made him look that bad?

Lastly, it could be  good thing if he's not a first round pick, maybe he's a Dak kinda guy where everyone passes on him and he's available in the 4th.

41 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I didn't see the game but it sounds like Liberty was overmatched talent wise, you make throws off of bad platforms when you're under enormous pressure and you hold the ball because everyone is covered or you're running for you life and anyone that's open is on the other side of the field from where you're running.

Take Wentz last year, was he really as bad as he looked or were there other factors that had nothing to do with him that made him look that bad?

Lastly, it could be  good thing if he's not a first round pick, maybe he's a Dak kinda guy where everyone passes on him and he's available in the 4th.

His throws for the picks the first two he had time to set his feet and made bad throws, the first one he didn't place it where only his guy could get it and the second was a Winstonesque complete failure to spot the guy waiting to jump the route, he had at least 2 throws hit the DB in the hands and dropped and a couple where his receivers bailed him out by breaking it up, and I've said it before but his numbers just aren't good enough for the level of competition he's playing week in week out to go anywhere near first round.

The QB class this year is chockful of guys who are being talked up relentlessly because early QB picks are more showbiz than stud DE's or OT's.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His throws for the picks the first two he had time to set his feet and made bad throws, the first one he didn't place it where only his guy could get it and the second was a Winstonesque complete failure to spot the guy waiting to jump the route, he had at least 2 throws hit the DB in the hands and dropped and a couple where his receivers bailed him out by breaking it up, and I've said it before but his numbers just aren't good enough for the level of competition he's playing week in week out to go anywhere near first round.

The QB class this year is chockful of guys who are being talked up relentlessly because early QB picks are more showbiz than stud DE's or OT's.

Didn't Liberty play Ole Miss? 

• 3 weeks later...

Bump up!

Could be the type of QB that can execute properly in the offense Sirianni envisioned for the Eagles and Lurie badly wants.

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Bump up!

Could be the type of QB that can execute properly in the offense Sirianni envisioned for the Eagles and Lurie badly wants.

If we are going to go for any QB I'd go for Corral.

If Hurts doesn’t rebound in a big way over the rest of the season, Corral would be my draft target with one of the firsts.  

Even if Hurts, Minshew and Blake Bortles all die in a freak off season boating accident, I wouldn't pick Matt Corral in the first round of a draft.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If we are going to go for any QB I'd go for Corral.

I think they should sit with the position they are slotted - and take who falls to them. I am not convinced that either Corral or Pickett are clearly superior prospect than the other and don't want to burn multiple draft assets on either but one of the three firsts, sure. We have an issue - let address it. The other 2 can go to DE and DB.

Drafts are hard to tell sometimes - who had Mac Jones as most successful rookie QB over Lawrence, Fields etc (yes team drafting and talent around them has a lot to do with it).

• Like 1