Kelce Must Be Replaced on Short Yardage

CouchKing

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

But would Dickerson be able to get out of Mailata's way when he is rushing the ball?  Now THAT is the real question.  

You know how far 1 Yard is, right?  not far.  The idea is that you're pushing a pile with superior size, weight, strength. Mailata, as QB, gets right behind Dickerson, and they push.  There could be other 300+ pound Eagles behind Mailata, pushing.  Push the pile a yard.  You have 4 chances to get a total of 1 yard.   I'm not inventing this play.  This is a relatively common play. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Singleton is  like a lot of this team he is just the best of a bad bunch. And he plays with fire so that will always win this fan base over no matter how mediocre they are. 

I love Singleton. 

as a special teamer 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

You know how far 1 Yard is, right?  not far.  The idea is that you're pushing a pile with superior size, weight, strength. Mailata, as QB, gets right behind Dickerson, and they push.  There could be other 300+ pound Eagles behind Mailata, pushing.  Push the pile a yard.  You have 4 chances to get a total of 1 yard.   I'm not inventing this play.  This is a relatively common play. 

So common it happens every week in the nfl!!!

2 hours ago, MeccaDon123 said:

I might be more concerned with our D front getting pushed off the ball on every 3rd and 1. Alex Singleton Made 11 total tackles... all about 6 yards down field. Seemed like every time he had 1 for a loss he slid down their legs and missed it.

Funny part is he missed about another handful (also 5+ yards downfield).  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Funny part is he missed about another handful (also 5+ yards downfield).  

I also noticed his solo tackles are usually on guys smaller than him or guys that drag him. He slides down bigger guys like a fireman down a poll.

4 minutes ago, MeccaDon123 said:

I also noticed his solo tackles are usually on guys smaller than him or guys that drag him. He slides down bigger guys like a fireman down a poll.

Yup.  Grabs the ankles and holds on... sometimes.

18 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Yeah and throw it instead. :whistle:

Leave Kelce in, line him up at WR and let him throw the Philly Special.   

• Haha 1

The Line is fine. Just need better execution. Gotta give SF some credit too. Goal line stands/stops will happen in the NFL from time to time.

13 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Then why pull Kelce in the FIRST place? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Cos as you said they are guaranteed to defend against the run ;)

• Haha 1

Sure, let's put Mailata as "The Fridge" type RB on GL or short yardage, so the young guy who still hasn't come close to his ceiling and who held his own vs one of the best DEs in the NFL yesterday and who is looking like our starting LT for the next 8+ years, yeah, let's let him run the ball so some LB/S/DE can take his knees out and now we're out a very promising LT. 

I really really hate this idea that keeps getting put out there.  It's not just stupid, it's F'ing criminal.

They ran an inside slant to Smith and the only reason it didn't result in a TD is because of a DPI.  Maybe put him on a island on the far hashmark and let him beat his man with precise route running or put Goedert alongside Mailata and let that left side of Seumalo/Mailata/Goedert get a good push and run the RB (or Hurts) behind that big trio?

31 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Sure, let's put Mailata as "The Fridge" type RB on GL or short yardage, so the young guy who still hasn't come close to his ceiling and who held his own vs one of the best DEs in the NFL yesterday and who is looking like our starting LT for the next 8+ years, yeah, let's let him run the ball so some LB/S/DE can take his knees out and now we're out a very promising LT. 

I really really hate this idea that keeps getting put out there.  It's not just stupid, it's F'ing criminal.

They ran an inside slant to Smith and the only reason it didn't result in a TD is because of a DPI.  Maybe put him on a island on the far hashmark and let him beat his man with precise route running or put Goedert alongside Mailata and let that left side of Seumalo/Mailata/Goedert get a good push and run the RB (or Hurts) behind that big trio?

Nah, line up and run our lineman right up their ass!! 

Didn't Milton Williams test better athletically than nearly every other Dlineman ever?!1!!! I'm sure that he could get 1 stinking measly yard easyyyyyyyy. 

• Haha 1

This would have been a good time to have a lead blocker on the roster and just try to get it close enough for a QB sneak or even a score. I mean if they’re going to waste a roster spot for a receiver who only blocks (JJAW) and Boston Scott who they never use then why not just bring in a blocking style FB to come in on short yardage situations? Clearly this season the Eagles have been crap in short yardage situations so something needs to change and running rookie Gainwell into the line isn’t the solution. 

23 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

If you are moving Mailata away from LT,  put the former rugby player in the backfield.  Let's see how the defense tackles him.  Or he can be a lead blocker.  Or something.  Center or QB.

You're right about it being pretty pathetic that the Eagles couldn't just run the ball up the middle 4 times to get 1 yard.

The Eagles seem to lack 1)  A Big Running Back.  2) A Fullback.  3) A TE who is primarily good at Blocking.
Most of the Eagles skill position players are not the types of players who you want on the field in short yardage / goal line situations.

The Eagles do have 1) Jalen Hurts, running QB, who is heavier than any of the running backs that the Eagles have on the field ordinarily.  2)  Mailata,  who is incredibly massive and incredibly versatile,  who ran the ball a lot at a professional rugby player.  3)  a good and deep OL,  5 good starters and multiple backups, also good.  4)  like any team,  a number of 300+ pound DTs who are sitting on the bench.  

You take the fast and fancy players off the field in short yardage / goal line situations and you replace them with the most massive players that you have.  That is your Jumbo Goal Line package.  I'd say that Mailata is that key key player.  Blast it up the middle up to 4 times.  

Whenever I see anything but that, it makes me think that the coaching staff has forgotten that first and goal from the one is something that happens in football.  And is something that happens a lot.   So, get Fletcher Cox out there practicing pushing Mailata over the goal line.  Seems like you'd want Dickerson and Herbig out there.  They're 330+. 

I suggested putting Mailata in the backfield on another string and got blasted, so I suggest you don't bother. I was told it made no sense and was absurd. I guess we should put in Ward, a WR who has not played a snap, Have him take a toss and then throw the ball to the QB! What a concept!!! That has so much more a chance of succeeding....

The Middle of our O Line is not our strength. The Strength is on the Right side. With that said, the Eagles should have run a QB sneak, or Sanders behind Brooks and Johnson. The Play Calling was poor and the Coach is responsible. 

21 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

1)  Mailata is like 50+ heavier now than then

2)  Mailata was running,  there,  for a lot more than 1 yard.   1 yard, that's all that's needed.  

Mailata is the heaviest player on the Eagles PLUS he has the experience running the ball.

Do people dispute that the normal thing that you do when you have a short yardage situation is put the big players in?

Did anyone watch the Ravens last night?  They beat the Chiefs.  It's not rare for them to put more than just 5 big players on offense at the same time.

I dont hate the idea of mailata up the middle for a yard. I mean geeze the dude is 6'8" he can reach at the very least.

10 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Didn't Milton Williams test better athletically than nearly every other Dlineman ever?!1!!! I'm sure that he could get 1 stinking measly yard easyyyyyyyy. 

Yeah, let's criticize the coach for getting overly creative and not trying to run North and South, at the same time calling for putting a D Lineman in the backfield to carry the rock. Crazy.

49 minutes ago, stine said:

I suggested putting Mailata in the backfield on another string and got blasted, so I suggest you don't bother. I was told it made no sense and was absurd. I guess we should put in Ward, a WR who has not played a snap, Have him take a toss and then throw the ball to the QB! What a concept!!! That has so much more a chance of succeeding....

Let's consider it for a moment.  Ok, move your starting LT to the FB position.  That is absurd.   

The fact that they ran a different absurd play doesn't change the fact that using your LT as an FB is absurd as well.  Both can be absurd.  

Equally, taking your starting center out of the game in short yardage is also absurd.   There are a lot of absurd suggestions in this thread.  There is no limit on absurdity.   And using one absurdity doesn't make another absurdity automatically sensible.   It can still remain absurd.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Let's consider it for a moment.  Ok, move your starting LT to the FB position.  That is absurd.   

The fact that they ran a different absurd play doesn't change the fact that using your LT as an FB is absurd as well.  Both can be absurd.  

Equally, taking your starting center out of the game in short yardage is also absurd.   There are a lot of absurd suggestions in this thread.  There is no limit on absurdity.   And using one absurdity doesn't make another absurdity automatically sensible.   It can still remain absurd.

Not taking Kelce out. That was never on my mind. However, Using a Rugby player to carry a ball is not absurd. When the dude has proven it takes 3-4 people to get him down. Chicago did it with a Defensive tackle. I guess that is absurd also? Even though it worked almost every time? Oh, but to use an offensive Tackle that is used to running with a ball is stupid... I get it.

1 minute ago, stine said:

Not taking Kelce out. That was never on my mind. However, Using a Rugby player to carry a ball is not absurd. When the dude has proven it takes 3-4 people to get him down. Chicago did it with a Defensive tackle. I guess that is absurd also? Even though it worked almost every time? Oh, but to use an offensive Tackle that is used to running with a ball is stupid... I get it.

Chicago didn't use their starting LT.  "Dude" proved it against much smaller players, in a different sport, with vastly different rules.  

How about the team just find traditional methods to get a yard, rather than resorting to gimmicks?  Why is it that the answer to short yardage trouble always seems to be to resort to gimmicks?  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Chicago didn't use their starting LT.  "Dude" proved it against much smaller players, in a different sport, with vastly different rules.  

How about the team just find traditional methods to get a yard, rather than resorting to gimmicks?  Why is it that the answer to short yardage trouble always seems to be to resort to gimmicks?  

Teams use "Gimmicks" All the time. Reasoning is to lighten up the locker room. Make it fun for the players. I am not saying use a gimmick all the time. I was suggesting that they might try that instead of another that was tried multiple times before and most likely will not work again. Teams use these plays occasionally. I am just saying to put it in the p[lay book and try it once sometime down the road. You are right. Don't do this on a regular basis. The dude is too valuable as the LT. But I see no harm letting him have some fun and possibly help the team at the same time. Your view is teams should NEVER use Gimmicks. They are all absurd. Sure let's take all the fun from the team..... I am sure they would love you as a coach.

so for all of you people out there that "Think" Rugby players are much smaller than football players. Maybe you should do a little research.

Average size of a International Rugby player was 232 lbs in 2015. Sure, that is so much smaller than the average football player!!!

Modern international rugby players have grown significantly since their counterparts played 25 years ago. In a study, published in the BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, it revealed that the mean body mass of international players increased from 84.8kg in 1995, to 105.4kg in 2015

14 minutes ago, stine said:

Teams use "Gimmicks" All the time. Reasoning is to lighten up the locker room. Make it fun for the players. I am not saying use a gimmick all the time. I was suggesting that they might try that instead of another that was tried multiple times before and most likely will not work again. Teams use these plays occasionally. I am just saying to put it in the p[lay book and try it once sometime down the road. You are right. Don't do this on a regular basis. The dude is too valuable as the LT. But I see no harm letting him have some fun and possibly help the team at the same time. Your view is teams should NEVER use Gimmicks. They are all absurd. Sure let's take all the fun from the team..... I am sure they would love you as a coach.

You know what's fun.... scoring a TD.   

I didn't say that teams should never use gimmicks... I said that they shouldn't rely on gimmicks.   The answer to the question: Why did the team fail from short yardage last week is not, "Put Mailata at FB".  That's a gimmick.  The answer to the short yardage question needs to be more sustainable than that.  The solution needs to be possible with the base personnel in their base positions.  Throwing in a gimmick on occasion is totally different from that.  Generally, gimmicks like the Philly Special are reserved for when a particular opponent has tipped a tendency that leaves them especially vulnerable to it, not because it seemed like a fun play to try at the time.  

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You know what's fun.... scoring a TD.   

I didn't say that teams should never use gimmicks... I said that they shouldn't rely on gimmicks.   The answer to the question: Why did the team fail from short yardage last week is not, "Put Mailata at FB".  That's a gimmick.  The answer to the short yardage question needs to be more sustainable than that.  The solution needs to be possible with the base personnel in their base positions.  Throwing in a gimmick on occasion is totally different from that.  Generally, gimmicks like the Philly Special are reserved for when a particular opponent has tipped a tendency that leaves them especially vulnerable to it, not because it seemed like a fun play to try at the time.  

Then we agree. Teams should not use gimmicks all the time. But to put in a play for anyone to try at some point is not a bad thing. I for one, wanted them to do a QB sneak before trying anything else. Use a quick count to try and get a jump on the defense. My thought process for Mailata was to do that instead of the Philly Philly IF they were going to do any gimmick at all.

We may never see it, but I think it would be fun to see one time down the road is all..... Another idea would be to place Mailata next to Johnson and run the rock behind them. If those two cannot move people off the line of scrimmage, no one can.....

• Like 1