Weekly Line Thread: Eagles +4 at Cowboys

Hawkeye

Eagles are getting 4 on a surprisingly high total of 51.5.  My immediate reaction is to hit the under but we have a whole week to ruminate…

Line: Dallas -4 Philadelphia (-110)
Total: 51.5
Money line: Cowboys -200/Eagles +170

I’m surprised but not surprised it’s that low. My gut is telling me this game goes one of two ways. Either they totally blow us out, amped up for their home opener, or we look to dominate and be in control for a good 2 1/2 quarters, but fail to seal the deal, and start to collapse and fall short to a Dallas come back. 

Either way I see a loss obviously. 

45 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

Why is it only 4? Dallas is a lot better than us.

Are they? Their offense is better than ours but it’s a divisional game and the NFCE is trash all around.

I’m looking at the total.  These two have allowed 71 points combined in 4 games so why would they combine for 72% of that next week?  First blush is Cowboys and the under. 

• Like 1

I don’t think the Cowboys are all that good, especially on Defense.  But the Eagles always get screwed in Dallas by homer refs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

Why is it only 4? Dallas is a lot better than us.

My guess is divisional opponent and those games tend to run close. 

What's the over/under in this game? I'd bet the over. 

A lot points will be scored in this Monday Night Matchup. I believe our Defense is better than theirs.

:Eagle_smiley:

• Like 2

Going to be interesting to see how this team reacts to Sunday’s loss.  Sirianni seemed to take it pretty hard and went to extra lengths (closed door meeting with coaching staff, talking about holding each other accountable, etc) in response.  Normally that kind of stuff happens after a losing streak.  Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they respond against Dallas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Going to be interesting to see how this team reacts to Sunday’s loss.  Sirianni seemed to take it pretty hard and went to extra lengths (closed door meeting with coaching staff, talking about holding each other accountable, etc) in response.  Normally that kind of stuff happens after a losing streak.  Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they respond against Dallas.

I'll say this much, if the Eagles defeat the Cowboys I'll consider them contenders, of course in order for the Eagles to pull it off they'e going to need better play calling than what we witnessed Sunday.   

44 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'll say this much, if the Eagles defeat the Cowboys I'll consider them contenders, of course in order for the Eagles to pull it off they'e going to need better play calling than what we witnessed Sunday.   

That is part of their response I am really interested in seeing … does this staff learn from mistakes made and come up with a new approach to certain situations or do they keep trying to force the same plays that didn’t work previously to work now thinking better execution is all that is needed.  Chip and Doug were both stubborn like that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

That is part of their response I am really interested in seeing … does this staff learn from mistakes made and come up with a new approach to certain situations or do they keep trying to force the same plays that didn’t work previously to work now thinking better execution is all that is needed.  Chip and Doug were both stubborn like that.  

Concerning the situation they encountered Sunday, they should have anticipated the 9ers would only need their front 4 to stop the run as well as pressure the QB, a little film study would have shown that.

So when what you anticipated is happening, you have to make adjustments provided that you've practiced making those adjustments if what you anticipated happens.    

Bottom line, coaches that can't make adjustments are usually in the unemployment line before their contracts expire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Knowing our franchise they never learn and are stubborn. Even Reid would waste time outs.

Our defense is better than theirs but so we’re the Bucs and Chargers and they put up points. I don’t think our offense can keep up in a shoot out. I would never bet on the Cowboys but that seems like the play with the under.

20 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Contenders for what?

Just now, Mike030270 said:

How do you come to that conclusion?

It'll be based on how they perform against the Cowboys.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

It'll be based on how they perform against the Cowboys.

I get that but why is Dallas the threshold you’re using to gauge whether or not this team is a SB contender. It’s not like Dallas is one

On 9/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, NCTANK said:

everyone is gonna be jumping all over that. it’s bound to go up a point or two before weeks end, maybe more.

The line briefly dipped to 3.5 then bounced back up to 4.  The total is up to 52 in several places.  We'll see what happens as the weekend arrives and football action ticks up starting tomorrow but as of today, the ML action is almost entirely on Dallas while the Eagles are getting a little more of the side money. 

I mean as I keep getting told Vegas know what they are doing. They are favourites and I think that's right. They are the home team and right now it's hard to argue that they don't have a better roster. But this is a division game and what better way for Sirianni to get everyone on side. 

• Like 1