I think it is a right decision to draft Jalen Hurts

Recadna

I was mad at first now I can see why Doug and Howie did this.   I like Carson but his unavailability in the playoff games force us to have a solid backup.  You can say whatever about Dak and Goff but both of them have never missed a game due to injury.

This is what Doug P said after Wildcard game loss to Seattle.  Sure, Clowney was a clown but you can clearly sense Doug P's frustration.  

"Eagles coach Doug Pederson

Q: What did you say to the referees after Clowney’s hit on Wentz?

A: "I didn’t see it. I didn’t say anything.”

Q: You didn’t see the hit from Clowney on Wentz?

A: "No comment. I really didn’t see it. I was looking to call the next play actually, so I didn’t see it.”

Q: What were you hearing from the team in terms of the hit?

A: "There is nothing I can do about it. It’s out of my hands. It’s got to be called on the field. They didn’t call it, so obviously they didn’t think it was a penalty.”

Q: Did you have any discussions with the officials about how they were officiating the game?

A: "No. I’m worried about coaching the team and trying to win the game.”

14 minutes ago, Recadna said:

This is what Doug P said after Wildcard game loss to Seattle.  Sure, Clowney was a clown but you can clearly sense Doug P's frustration.  

Forgive me but what's that got to do with anything? Who are you suggesting Doug is frustrated with? I think he's frustrated that we lost, that we lost our QB but he's not frustrated with Wentz. How can he be? 

Uhhhh ok. This thread is worse than the "We didn't draft a Safety" thread. What does the post game interview have to do with anything?

• Haha 1

Yup, the Eagles need a good backup QB. I'm still trying to figure out why Hurts will be the guy. I guess we will see if he is or not.

Drafting Hurts wasn't the problem for me i think wasting draft capital in the 2nd round was what really pissed me off. I understand he mihgt have not been there in the later

rounds but there was more glaring needs outside of QB and that is WR.   

We should have beeched and moaned like the Aints fans. Get the rule changed so we can challenge roughing the passer calls and noncalls. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

We should have beeched and moaned like the Aints fans. Get the rule changed so we can challenge roughing the passer calls and noncalls. 

I've never seen a team play the "whoa is me" card worse than this.  Buncha vachinas.  Lot of great all that whining did too.  That rule change SUCKED and was never called.

• Like 1

2nd rounders should be starting, not holding clipboards.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

2nd rounders should be starting, not holding clipboards.

If he's playing a Tysom Hill on steroids role though he won't just be holding a clipboard. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If he's playing a Tysom Hill on steroids role though he won't just be holding a clipboard. 

If (or when) Wentz misses time with injury, the Jalen Hurts selection may look like a very good pick.

Wentz needs to find a way to change the narrative around him regarding his injuries. He could shake it off like Matt Stafford, or he could end up succumbing to them like Andrew Luck, with a potential early retirement not out of the question. 2020 (or 2021) could be a momentum shifter in that regard.

He should really study film of Russell Wilson and observe how he can use his mobility to his advantage without sustaining major injuries. 

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If (or when) Wentz misses time with injury, the Jalen Hurts selection may look like a very good pick.

Not very likely in 2020 given nobody thinks he'll be ready...

On 5/9/2020 at 3:09 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Taysom Hill was undrafted, not a second rounder.

1 hour ago, AngryBird said:

Taysom Hill was undrafted, not a second rounder.

I didn't say he was...

On 5/9/2020 at 3:28 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Wentz needs to find a way to change the narrative around him regarding his injuries. He could shake it off like Matt Stafford, or he could end up succumbing to them like Andrew Luck, with a potential early retirement not out of the question. 2020 (or 2021) could be a momentum shifter in that regard.

He should really study film of Russell Wilson and observe how he can use his mobility to his advantage without sustaining major injuries. 

He was healthy all last year. He wasnt taking about unnecessary chances. The only reason he got hurt was because he got cheap shotted in the head while already pretty much down on the ground. And furthermore Hurts wont even be the backup this year. 

It was a luxury pick. Not always a bad thing, but fans must have a lower opinion of the team than Roseman and Doug P. who were both elated with the pick. Probably thinking "we won't be knocked out of the playoffs next year because our backup QB can't run the system." Emphasis on "can't run" because as much as I liked McCown, he clearly hurt himself trying to run for a first down. Not a problem Hurts will have.

Personally, I was watching ESPN flipping through notable undrafted people probably 10 picks before the Eagles. Jalen Hurts pops up and I went, "Ooo, what if he fell to the Eagles." It was a flash of wanting the shiny toy - a well known, really talented player who was available in the second round. I really doubt there was a more famous player available. Then the second passed, and I thought, "Never going to happen, they just don't need a QB." I wasn't angry that they then drafted him, but I was dubious of the selection. Still am.  At the same time, I realize why they did it and if they think he was the best player available, go for it. Fans always preach "BPA! BPA!" until your team does something like this and then they scream, "We still have needs!" Oh well, can't please everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutsona25 said:

It was a luxury pick. Not always a bad thing, but fans must have a lower opinion of the team than Roseman and Doug P. who were both elated with the pick. Probably thinking "we won't be knocked out of the playoffs next year because our backup QB can't run the system." Emphasis on "can't run" because as much as I liked McCown, he clearly hurt himself trying to run for a first down. Not a problem Hurts will have.

Personally, I was watching ESPN flipping through notable undrafted people probably 10 picks before the Eagles. Jalen Hurts pops up and I went, "Ooo, what if he fell to the Eagles." It was a flash of wanting the shiny toy - a well known, really talented player who was available in the second round. I really doubt there was a more famous player available. Then the second passed, and I thought, "Never going to happen, they just don't need a QB." I wasn't angry that they then drafted him, but I was dubious of the selection. Still am.  At the same time, I realize why they did it and if they think he was the best player available, go for it. Fans always preach "BPA! BPA!" until your team does something like this and then they scream, "We still have needs!" Oh well, can't please everyone.

Perhaps Hurts was their BPA, and I guess that would explain the reason why they made that selection.

It's just that anytime a team drafts a QB within the first 2 rounds, it clearly is sending a message to their incumbent starter, that they are preparing for the future. Jalen Hurts was not drafted to strictly be a Taysom Hill - type gadget player that is only used in certain packages. You don't draft those kind of players in the 2nd round, you draft guys that can be at least average to above average starters in the league in Round 2.

In Wentz's case, Hurts will likely get the first crack at becoming the Eagles franchise QB in a few years if he continues to have his bad luck with injuries. It's hard to blame him completely, especially with this past season surviving the regular season just to get knocked out in the wildcard game, but that is the nature of the beast I guess.

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Perhaps Hurts was their BPA, and I guess that would explain the reason why they made that selection.

See my concern there is on talent evaluation. If Hurts was their BPA then that's a worry. And I've come around more to the pick but I have to believe it was a number of reasons and he wasn't actually their BPA.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

it clearly is sending a message to their incumbent starter, that they are preparing for the future.

In Wentz's case, Hurts will likely get the first crack at becoming the Eagles franchise QB in a few years if he continues to have his bad luck with injuries.

Entirely true, but it's not some great buildup to when Hurts takes over for Carson. That's one possibility, but not an eventuality. 

When the pats drafted Garop, in the second round, Brady's salary was guaranteed for two years and everyone said Garop would take over in 3 years when Tom was 41. It didn't work out that way and he got traded for a 2nd. They essentially rented a good backup for 3 years at the cost of a delayed 2nd rounder.

Assuming Hurts is good, there's 3 options over the next 4 years. A) Carson never gets injured again - maybe the Eagles trade Hurts for a 2nd rounder in 2-3 years. B) Carson gets hurt again but comes back and is amazing - Hurts would be a good backup for the games Carson misses potentially keep them in playoff hunt or in the playoffs... and he could still get traded for a second C) Carson turns out to be a Sam Bradford (always hurt) or Andrew Luck (hurt and retires) - Hurts slides in as the next potential franchise QB. In all three of those scenarios, the team is better off than Josh McCown stepping on the field.

Now, I'll give you, assuming Hurts is good is a big assumption, but it's the baseline for debating the position, not the player. Fans always rely on the front office to pick good players regardless of position. If the Eagles took any WR in the 2nd, there'd be debate on the player. People are arguing against QB as a position.   

On 5/18/2020 at 1:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See my concern there is on talent evaluation. If Hurts was their BPA then that's a worry. And I've come around more to the pick but I have to believe it was a number of reasons and he wasn't actually their BPA.

Was he the best QB available to you?

Personally I've always agreed BPA can take positional value into consideration. QB, OT, Edge, CB, WR will always get moved up the board, and generally in that order. Nobody's drafting punters in the third round and saying they're the BPA (well, most people.) So you can say Jalen wasn't the best player compared to some rando linebacker, but if he was the best QB available, he may be more valuable as a pick.

If you think Hurts wasn't the best QB available, that's a different conversation. 

8 hours ago, Cutsona25 said:

Was he the best QB available to you?

Personally I've always agreed BPA can take positional value into consideration. QB, OT, Edge, CB, WR will always get moved up the board, and generally in that order. Nobody's drafting punters in the third round and saying they're the BPA (well, most people.) So you can say Jalen wasn't the best player compared to some rando linebacker, but if he was the best QB available, he may be more valuable as a pick.

If you think Hurts wasn't the best QB available, that's a different conversation. 

Um yeah he probably was at the point. And I do agree positional value plays a part. But it wasn't a need and so with that in mind it should have pushed Hurts down our board. Taking him in the second feels like a bit of a reach. 

But hey he's here now, he's going to be the back up and hopefully they are going to really find ways to get him on the field. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

he's going to be the backup's, backup.

That's a matter of formality. Even DeSean Jackson entered training camp at the bottom of the depth chart when he was a rookie. Eventually his talent and injuries ahead of him on the depth chart made way for him to be a starter as a rookie.

2 hours ago, Cutsona25 said:

Hurts will be the backup come playoff time.

He might well be yeah. By then he'll have had several weeks to get his head around the play book and practice with the team. 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

That's a matter of formality.

Not with no training camp and probably no preseason it isn't.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:28 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Wentz misses time with injury, the Jalen Hurts selection may look like a very good pick.

How do you know Hurts is even any good?

Given the fact that he got drafted into the NFL, and you're here, he's at least got to be better than you. So he's got that going for him.