I think it is a right decision to draft Jalen Hurts

Recadna

On 5/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, Uscg-green said:

Not with no training camp and probably no preseason it isn't.

How do you know Hurts is even any good?

Nobody knows for sure, but the same can be said for any draft pick since none of them have played in the NFL yet.

The main argument here seems to be the position addressed in the 2nd round, as you don't draft a QB in the 2nd round with the expectation that he'll be a career backup. That applies to 2nd rounders at any position.

In the 1st round you realistically hope to land an above average to All-Pro/Pro Bowl caliber starter

In the 2nd round you realistically hope to land an average to above average starter

In the 3rd round you realistically hope to land a below average to average starter

In the 4th round you realistically hope to land a high end backup to below average starter

And so on, and so forth...

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

In the 2nd round you realistically hope to land an average to above average starter

Which is exactly why this pick was a waste. Hurts will not be a starter he will be at best a gimmicky one to two times a game player. But mostly a clipboard holder.

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

Which is exactly why this pick was a waste. Hurts will not be a starter he will be at best a gimmicky one to two times a game player. But mostly a clipboard holder.

Still not on board with it then... 😁

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Still not on board with it then... 😁

I'm not still raving screaming mad about it but I still have my moments lol. He threw a easy softball when he said 2nd rounders should be starters. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

This is where I respectfully disagree. I don’t think Hurts is a gimmicky 1-2 plays a game type player. At the same time I don't think he's a plug-and-play starting QB as a rookie from Day 1.

He's a mobile QB that could still use some work on improving his accuracy. The Eagles are banking on his upside over the proven veteran options that have well known flaws Winston (INTs), Dalton (chokes in playoffs), McCown (lack of athleticism).

Let's see how he performs before calling him a wasted pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Let's see how he performs before calling him a wasted pick

You said it yourself. 2nd rounders should be starters. He wont be a starter. We already have a franchise QB. Shrugs like I said mostly over it but we could have gotten a starting CB 2 there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

You said it yourself. 2nd rounders should be starters. He wont be a starter. We already have a franchise QB. Shrugs like I said mostly over it but we could have gotten a starting CB 2 there.

I agree that we have a franchise QB and I also would have also preferred someone like Kristian Fulton with that 2nd round pick, but this particular draft selection has just as much to do with Wentz's injury history as it did the Eagles internal rankings of BPA.

I do anticipate Hurts becoming a starting QB at some point during his rookie contract. Whether that's here in Philly or elsewhere depends on multiple factors, most importantly Wentz's ability to stay healthy or not.

Are you arguing against Hurts' ability to be a starter because of how you project his transition from college to the league, the depth chart situation on the Eagles, or both? I think he'll transition into the league as a starting caliber talent, but the depth chart situation here is murky because we're looking for an insurance policy for Wentz in the short-term as opposed to a replacement due to poor QB play. My argument is moreso against addressing QB in Round 2 rather than Hurts specifically.

• 3 years later...

Draft these balls off your chin you fat f

On 1/28/2024 at 7:01 PM, olsilverhair said:

LOL at this post

shutup

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, Recadna said:

I was mad at first now I can see why Doug and Howie did this.   I like Carson but his unavailability in the playoff games force us to have a solid backup.  You can say whatever about Dak and Goff but both of them have never missed a game due to injury.

This is what Doug P said after Wildcard game loss to Seattle.  Sure, Clowney was a clown but you can clearly sense Doug P's frustration.  

"Eagles coach Doug Pederson

Q: What did you say to the referees after Clowney’s hit on Wentz?

A: "I didn’t see it. I didn’t say anything.”

Q: You didn’t see the hit from Clowney on Wentz?

A: "No comment. I really didn’t see it. I was looking to call the next play actually, so I didn’t see it.”

Q: What were you hearing from the team in terms of the hit?

A: "There is nothing I can do about it. It’s out of my hands. It’s got to be called on the field. They didn’t call it, so obviously they didn’t think it was a penalty.”

Q: Did you have any discussions with the officials about how they were officiating the game?

A: "No. I’m worried about coaching the team and trying to win the game.”

Well OP, you’re an idiot now, aintcha 

• Haha 1