Mailata hurt

Talonblood

8 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

There's not much you can do as a trainer or coach to prevent someone from getting rolled up on.  

Have everyone practice in red jerseys 

Last year, being forced to play helped Mailata a ton. This will at least give Dillard an opportunity to get some valuable real game experience and hopefully get better himself. I was looking forward to Mailata continuing his abuse of that rag doll Jaylon Smith, though.

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Players get hurt in football, but it’s clear holding these guys out had no positive effect on preventing injuries. 

Still feels like it's working fine to me.

8 hours ago, Moe Greene said:

pour yourself a tall one and enjoy the ride. we weren't going to really compete this year anyway. I'm just looking for growth- from the players and the coaching staff. we have some good picks in the upcoming draft- I seriously doubt Wents plays 70% of snaps this year but the way the colts look it should be a high second to go with our two first rounders. 

And whilst I completely agree with you on that... Its hard to look for growth when players are starting to go down injured... Again!

They didn't IR him so that means they don't expect him to miss 3+ weeks.  He must only have a mild Grade 1 sprain and that can heal in a week or two with rest.  The report was he even finished practice and then told the trainers about it afterwards.  I was looking forward to watching him pancake some Cowgirls.  Just glad it's only a very minor injury and he'll be back sooner than later.

Still feel pretty good about this team.  One series of bad play calls after the big pass play amtook 7 off the board.   Reagor with a big play but foot touched the line took off 7.    Game should have been a w.    Worried about losing graham 

wts, we beat Dallas this week.   Book it.   I can’t see any scenario wheee our head coach dawns a "beat Dallas” shirt and does beat Dallas right?  Right?  Please tell me I’m right

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

@Procus and the rest of the Mailata in the backfield idiots, this is why he should not line up in the backfield.

This is definitely the best argument yet for why Mailata should not line up in the backfield.

Mailata should not line up in the backfield, because he got hurt in practice playing Left Tackle.

All the other arguments about why Mailata shouldn't be in the backfield are worse than this.

Mailata shouldn't do one thing,  because he got hurt doing a different thing.  That's the best argument against him doing that thing.

• Haha 2

It's unnecessary exposure for a gimmick.  Too many think because he played rugby and used to run with the ball that he can be a HB on GL/short yardage situations.  He's our starting LT and has the possibility of being a very good one for years to come.  You don't risk that for a friggin gimmick.  If he gets hurt playing LT then that's part of the game.  If he gets hurt playing RB on the GL that's F'ing careless and stupid beyond belief.  And if you need to use your former rugby playing LT as a RB on the GL then you need to upgrade your RBs and get a new HC and OC since they can't figure out how to score without using their LT. 

I really wish those who want to try Mailata at RB would just shut the Hell up and stick to playing Madden instead of watching real football.  Lane used to play both QB and TE back in the day so why don't we use him in those roles at the GL?  Because it's F'ing stupid to do so.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

It's unnecessary exposure for a gimmick.  Too many think because he played rugby and used to run with the ball that he can be a HB on GL/short yardage situations.  He's our starting LT and has the possibility of being a very good one for years to come.  You don't risk that for a friggin gimmick.  If he gets hurt playing LT then that's part of the game.  If he gets hurt playing RB on the GL that's F'ing careless and stupid beyond belief.  And if you need to use your former rugby playing LT as a RB on the GL then you need to upgrade your RBs and get a new HC and OC since they can't figure out how to score without using their LT. 

I really wish those who want to try Mailata at RB would just shut the Hell up and stick to playing Madden instead of watching real football.  Lane used to play both QB and TE back in the day so why don't we use him in those roles at the GL?  Because it's F'ing stupid to do so.

"It's unnecessary exposure for a gimmick."

But instead of putting a 380 OL as a FB and run up the middle,   the starting QB ran a pass route.

wouldn't having Hurts run a pass route be a perfect example of unnecessary exposure for a gimmick?  And the Eagles did just that.

So, I can honestly and truthfully say that "the Eagles already do that uhnecessary exposure for a gimmick,  you can't say that the Mailata in the backfield idea is something the Eagles wouldn't do,  they already do that.

In a first and goal from the 1,  the 380 pound FB is playing the most important role on the field on that play.   He gets on the highlights,  he gets a TD on the stats.  His importance on those plays is more as FB than LT.  

The Eagles took a rugby player with no experience at all playing LT, and if you look at what he actually did professionally as a rugby player, it looks nothing like what a Left Tackle does.   I presume they chose offensive line for Mailata because he has the normal / better than normal size for an offensive lineman.   He has the size of a player that you'd want on short yardage.  But the roster doesn't get filled with players who might not play in a game.   Some games you have 1st and goal from the 1 and some games you don't.  You don't have 5 players who you want on your short yardage / goal line team who don't do other things.   You want BIG people on short yardage, and the Eagles have very few big WRs or RBs or even TEs.    One could say that the Eagles should have bigger RBs / WRs,  maybe have a Fullback.   But the Eagles are doing solid with the roster they have,  except for in goal line / short yardage situations.   And the failure in that 1st and goal from the 1 caused the loss. 

You give Mailata the ball 4 times running up the middle,  the Eagles score a TD and win.  Running backs on the Eagles are 200-210 pounds,  Mailata is 150 pounds heavier or so.  Its more dangerous for the running backs the Eagles have now than it is for Mailata.

And the play, The Philly Not So Special, was a F'ing dumb stupid call.  They ran it because they lacked other options or had no creativity in that situation to do anything better.  Guess they are limited and would rather have their QB run a route than attempt a pass over the middle to a big TE (Goedert) since he rarely attempts any pass over the middle.  It was run in the SB because they needed something to catch NE with their pants down and they did it right with the correct formation. 

So let's take our biggest OL player and put him in the backfield and who is going to take his place at LT?  Dillard?  Dillard's strength is his feet and fluidity and not his strength and power, which are needed on the GL.  So what hole is Mailata going to run into?  He's going to just make his own because he's so big and blow up the DL, which by taking Mailata out they'll be getting more penetration thus resulting in contact further in the backfield so he'd have less momentum and probably get brought down before crossing the GL.  You still need to block the DL and get a push.  Now you're weakening the OL on the GL by replacing him with Dillard.  

We are going to disagree on this.  We're supposed to have one of the better blocking TEs in the league and can put in a 6th OL player as well and should be able to punch the ball in from the 1 on 3 plays, 4 if needed.  If we can't do that then we've got bigger problems to address than getting cute running plays with players out of position.

BTW, Mailata was the one who chose LT and not the coaching staff.  If you ever watched that video "Undiscovered" about him entering the NFL's International Camp, that's the answer he gives when they ask him what position he sees himself playing.  So that's the position he felt he had the best chance to be successful at and so far it's worked out.

It's more dangerous for RBs?  FFS!  Seriously?  They are more compact and less likely to suffer a knee, ankle, or lower leg injury than a 6'8" player carrying that bulk.  D players can now go for Mailata's legs if he's a ball carrier.  How else are smaller players going to try and bring him down?  They're going to go for his legs.

BTW, name me one other team that uses one of the OL players on GL to run the ball.  I can't recall any and not for years.  The only thing close is the T eligible pass and that's much much safer than running the ball and even that you only see every once in a long while.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

And the play, The Philly Not So Special, was a F'ing dumb stupid call.  They ran it because they lacked other options or had no creativity in that situation to do anything better.  Guess they are limited and would rather have their QB run a route than attempt a pass over the middle to a big TE (Goedert) since he rarely attempts any pass over the middle.  It was run in the SB because they needed something to catch NE with their pants down and they did it right with the correct formation. 

So let's take our biggest OL player and put him in the backfield and who is going to take his place at LT?  Dillard?  Dillard's strength is his feet and fluidity and not his strength and power, which are needed on the GL.  So what hole is Mailata going to run into?  He's going to just make his own because he's so big and blow up the DL, which by taking Mailata out they'll be getting more penetration thus resulting in contact further in the backfield so he'd have less momentum and probably get brought down before crossing the GL.  You still need to block the DL and get a push.  Now you're weakening the OL on the GL by replacing him with Dillard.  

We are going to disagree on this.  We're supposed to have one of the better blocking TEs in the league and can put in a 6th OL player as well and should be able to punch the ball in from the 1 on 3 plays, 4 if needed.  If we can't do that then we've got bigger problems to address than getting cute running plays with players out of position.

BTW, Mailata was the one who chose LT and not the coaching staff.  If you ever watched that video "Undiscovered" about him entering the NFL's International Camp, that's the answer he gives when they ask him what position he sees himself playing.  So that's the position he felt he had the best chance to be successful at and so far it's worked out.

It's more dangerous for RBs?  FFS!  Seriously?  They are more compact and less likely to suffer a knee, ankle, or lower leg injury than a 6'8" player carrying that bulk.  D players can now go for Mailata's legs if he's a ball carrier.  How else are smaller players going to try and bring him down?  They're going to go for his legs.

BTW, name me one other team that uses one of the OL players on GL to run the ball.  I can't recall any and not for years.  The only thing close is the T eligible pass and that's much much safer than running the ball and even that you only see every once in a long while.

We're going to go back and forth saying the same stuff over and over.

Mailata is a potential SuperWeapon.   Able to do things that others cannot do.  350+ players don't have that experience running the ball, catching pitches, pitches, tackling.   I'd like the potential SuperWeapon doing those things.    I'm talking about short yardage / goal line situations, but also not.   Mailata goes out there,  does those great things,  he becomes a hero and a star.  That's a desirable outcome.   Etc etc.

Here's a point of agreement.

If the Eagles can solve the obvious problem they have with their short yardage situation without doing anything different with Mailata,  I'm good.   Months ago,  I recognized that the Eagles had a looming problem with short yardage.   Having no RB over 210 generally means short yardage and goal line problems.   And months ago,  I concluded that having Mailata in the backfield, running and/or blocking might help to solve the short yardage problem.   Yes,  I much like the idea of NFL star SuperWeapon Mailata who is so huge and such a great athlete that he can be dominant at many spots despite not knowing anything about football,  but the reason I'm talking about Mailata in the backfield is because the short yardage / goal line problem is so bad that the Eagles lost because of it.  If the problem gets fixed, and the Eagles find a way to run the ball and get tough yards in short yardage / goal line situations,  well, Mailata in the backfield in those situations isn't solving a serious problem any more.  It would be an upgrade,  but not essential.

We agree they have a problem with personnel.  They have no GL RB.  Sanders/Gainwell/Scott (the ones who are dressing each game) don't have the ability to get a push and move the pile or knock a LB back a couple yards and cross the GL.  Howard?  Not sure what he has in the tank.  He doesn't have to get X amount of touches per game, but if he can pass block and get that 1-2 yards when needed on the GL or in 3rd/4th & short then he should be dressing over Scott if Scott isn't even seeing the field, which he hasn't yet.  He's the best option on those plays when you need 1-2 yards.  They should look to draft a 220lb+ RB who runs downhill with violent power and who can play STs as well.  Not hard to find a guy like that in the 5th/6th/7th rounds. 

Of course being able to do play action and then hit a short dart over the middle would also be helpful.  Someone PM me when Hurts throws a pass like that in a live game.  How many other teams do that and then hit their TE for a short TD near the GL? 

On 9/25/2021 at 12:51 AM, Infam said:

Still feels like it's working fine to me.

The Eagles lost 3 lineman in three weeks time. It sure doesn’t seem like keeping them out prevented much of anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mailata got owned yesterday, hopefully it's because he wasn't fully recovered, hopefully they didn't make their move too soon by signing him to a big contract.