We ran the ball 3 times

weko

We ran the ball 3 times in the entire game.  Against a team missing numerous DLmen.  And that was after Sanders ripped off a long run.  It was written here on the 411 that Howie and Lurie would berate Doug on Tuesday mornings for not throwing enough.  So naturally one has to wonder how much influence the front office now has on the game plan and play selection.  Hard to believe that can be a successful model.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, weko said:

We ran the ball 3 times in the entire game.  Against a team missing numerous DLmen.  And that was after Sanders ripped off a long run.  It was written here on the 411 that Howie and Lurie would berate Doug on Tuesday mornings for not throwing enough.  So naturally one has to wonder how much influence the front office now has on the game plan and play selection.  Hard to believe that can be a successful model.  

Without running game..this team has no chance.

• Like 5

It was like nothing had changed since Andy Reid...ESPECIALLY after Sanders ripped off a pretty long run....and yet, it was the same as with McNabb with them passing heavily and not establishing the run game or even switching it up to keep the defense honest.....I turned it off at halftime.....couldn't take it anymore....

• Like 5

Nick eluded to having to score a lot of points to win the game because Dallas was so explosive on offense.  You know what keeps their offense from being explosive? Sitting on the sideline watching while you run the ball and chew up the clock. 

It’s Football 101and he’s in the wrong class.  The "How to win at tic tac toe 100% of the time” lecture is down the hall in conference room B

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

It was like nothing had changed since Andy Reid...ESPECIALLY after Sanders ripped off a pretty long run....and yet, it was the same as with McNabb with them passing heavily and not establishing the run game or even switching it up to keep the defense honest.....I turned it off at halftime.....couldn't take it anymore....

If I were Miles I would be pissed. Coach Nick and me would be having a little chat this week.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, QBhunter58 said:

If I were Miles I would be pissed. Coach Nick and me would be having a little chat this week.

Agreed. It was pretty ridiculous to watch....I know he is a new HC but come on, man....this is dallas on national frickin tv!! And I am willing to bet dallas will be dallas against pretty good teams and end up with a losing record....and I am not saying that just because I hate them so much....

I believe the overall philosophy in the building now is 70-30 pass rate. The funny thing about that is the only somewhat accurate passer that’s been on the team since Lurie owned that was Foles. The rest of those guys aren’t considered accurate passing quarterbacks at all. They want a system in that constantly throws the ball, but they want quarterbacks who aren’t very accurate to do it. It’s a maddening front office group the Eagles have. Their own ideologies set themselves up for failure. 

12 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Miles would probably be asked to thumb wrestle for more carries or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DBW said:

Nick eluded to having to score a lot of points to win the game because Dallas was so explosive on offense.  You know what keeps their offense from being explosive? Sitting on the sideline watching while you run the ball and chew up the clock. 

It’s Football 101and he’s in the wrong class.  The "How to win at tic tac toe 100% of the time” lecture is down the hall in conference room B

His excuse was pretty bad. Although any excuse to only running 3 times is pretty bad

• Like 5

IMO, 3 called runs against Dallas on Monday night football is a "pack your bags if you ever do that again" moment for Siri.

• Like 8

It's going to be a loooooooooooooooong year.  Any head coach that is clueless enough to wear a Beat Dallas (or pick any team) t-shift to a press conference should be fired immediately after the press conference.  Unfortunately - it's beginning to look more and more like Lurie is a huge problem, God knows we all know that Howie is clueless.  It seems like we're in for a stretch like we had so often when I was a kid..........we're gonna lose - A LOT over the next few years.  3 runs? Ridiculous.  As a fanbase - we're so screwed.........Ah well.  We got a Super Bowl a few years ago.........nobody can take that away. 

• Like 2

Lurie always says he wants an explosive offense, he likes the big plays.  We've had Reid, Pederson and now Sirianni throw too much and not run enough.  Maybe there is something to Lurie pressuring the coaches to be pass happy.  Lurie probably thinks like a gamer playing Madden, that running isn't fun but throwing downfield or scrambling QB is more fun.  

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I believe the overall philosophy in the building now is 70-30 pass rate. The funny thing about that is the only somewhat accurate passer that’s been on the team since Lurie owned that was Foles. The rest of those guys aren’t considered accurate passing quarterbacks at all. They want a system in that constantly throws the ball, but they want quarterbacks who aren’t very accurate to do it. It’s a maddening front office group the Eagles have. Their own ideologies set themselves up for failure. 

Miles would probably be asked to thumb wrestle for more carries or something. 

That's what I was eluding to in my post. McNabb wasn't very accurate at all but they had him throw and throw and throw and throw.....smh, I don't get it at all...and even back then we had Westbrook and Duce and the other guy (cant remember his name). Its a maddening philosophy to have.....it absolutely does not work....

• Like 1

The Cowboys ran the ball 32 times and looked unstoppable doing with non-quarterback players. Maybe this game helps Lurie and Howie see that running the ball just makes the game so much easier. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weko said:

We ran the ball 3 times in the entire game.

This actually isn’t true.

They certainly should have called more running plays, though.

6 minutes ago, SB52 said:

This actually isn’t true.

They certainly should have called more running plays, though.

You can argue that the read options where jalen kept the ball were "running plays” but the backs had 3 carries.  I’ll even give you the 2-3 where we ran the ball with a back that was negated by penalty, but it’s still less than 10 designed running plays with the actual running backs.  The stupid read options were the dumbest thing to try against Dallas who has one of if not the best d line in the league with studs at the ends.  They were all over that high school crap play all night.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Lurie always says he wants an explosive offense, he likes the big plays.  We've had Reid, Pederson and now Sirianni throw too much and not run enough.  Maybe there is something to Lurie pressuring the coaches to be pass happy.  Lurie probably thinks like a gamer playing Madden, that running isn't fun but throwing downfield or scrambling QB is more fun.  

Problem #1 - You have 2 Beta Males in Charge of an Alpha Male project. The game of professional Football favors brute force over finesse, but Lurie and Howie are in denial and keep trying to prove that axiom wrong. Enter all of their machinations like the PAC-12 love, JJJAW, throwing it all the time, no worthy linebackers on the team, and on, and on, and on...thank GOD for 2017. It's probably not happening again under this inept leadership.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Problem #1 - You have 2 Beta Males in Charge of an Alpha Male project. The game of professional Football favors brute force over finesse, but Lurie and Howie are in denial and keep trying to prove that axiom wrong.

What a great point.

How frustrating is it to see our guys get the worst of the big hits and cheap shots with no repercussions year after year after year?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SB52 said:

What a great point.

How frustrating is it to see our guys get the worst of the big hits and cheap shots with no repercussions year after year after year?

It's extremely frustrating, and it's not likely to stop any time soon. I expect at least 10 more years of this BS.

• Like 2

Well, if this is how he's going to call games (only running 3 times), I'm about ready for some coaching changes. But coaching isn't even half of the problem.

Maybe Sirianni turns things around and wins us a Lombardi in 2022, but at this rate, I'm not seeing it. 

3 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That's what I was eluding to in my post. McNabb wasn't very accurate at all but they had him throw and throw and throw and throw.....smh, I don't get it at all...and even back then we had Westbrook and Duce and the other guy (buckhalter). Its a maddening philosophy to have.....it absolutely does not work....

• Like 1

dont know how you break out of a passing habit.  teams know you want to get into running more so you either do what they expect or you try to do what andy did and "outsmart" them by passing...

what if they called plays by getting one of those 20 sided dice from dungeons and dragons?

Well, the biggest reason that head coaches get better is their ability to make recognize and adjust when they f--- up.  

Sirianni may have overestimated how ready Hurts is to run the offense in the way he wants it run.  Hurts has a lot of learning to do and probably needs to be brought along with a more balanced attack and high percentage passing plan.......get the skill players the ball faster and let them create.......and then get more daring as the season and Hurts progresses

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

dont know how you break out of a passing habit.  teams know you want to get into running more so you either do what they expect or you try to do what andy did and "outsmart" them by passing...

what if they called plays by getting one of those 20 sided dice from dungeons and dragons?

You do it by doing what works regardless that the defense is expecting it.....and mixing in short, quick high pctg passes and moving the chains.  The eagles have good RBs and good run blocking personnel......sometimes you have to force feed it until something gives.

One of Pedersen's problems was abandoning the run as soon as they were behind......Sirianni didn't even try to start the run game.  When the defense is struggling or on the field alot early, a first down or two can give them a chance to get a breather and the DC to make some adjustments......when the offense is out there for 3 and outs series after series, and losing the field position battle, it makes the defense's job that much harder.

• Like 1