Eagles Owner ‘Green Lights’ Deshaun Watson Trade: Report

time2rock

• Updated Sep 28, 2021 at 8:30pm
Deshaun Watson Eagles

Getty:  Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson making a move towards the end zone vs the Philadelphia Eagles.

It’s only been one bad game for Jalen Hurts, but the Deshaun Watson rumors are circling like green-feathered buzzards. The Philadelphia Eagles might want to seek out a trade for a franchise quarterback if things don’t turn around soon.

And Watson remains available. Yes, the baggage is there – 22 civil lawsuits, ongoing investigation, possible suspension – and so is his immense talent. The three-time Pro Bowler doesn’t want to play another down for the Houston Texans and there are two teams vying for his services: Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles. Those talks could heat up with exactly five weeks between now and the NFL trade deadline on Nov. 2.

According to FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer, the Dolphins are the front-runners to land Watson in a trade. Miami was already interested in Watson before starter Tua Tagovailoa fractured his ribs. He was placed on injured reserve and stands to miss at least three weeks. It’s a perfect fit.

But don’t rule out the Eagles from swooping in. Chris Simms and Mike Florio recently debated the chances of Watson landing in Philadelphia on their Pro Football Talk podcast. The conclusion was a resounding yes. In fact, Simms relayed that Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has already "green-lighted” the move.

Remember, the Eagles have three potential first-round picks to dangle out in a deal depending on what happens with Carson Wentz. Here is what Simms had to say:

Philadelphia is in that mix for Deshaun Watson, that’s a real thing from everything that I know. The owner [Jeffrey Lurie] has given them the green light as far as Howie Roseman and company to go ahead and make that deal if it’s right. So, yeah, what you have to worry about a little – one other inkling, another inkling that told me that they are not sold on Jalen Hurts. They didn’t name Jalen Hurts the starter until like eight days before the first game, or nine days before the first game. That says something to me.

And a losing record could expedite the process for both the Dolphins and Eagles. Miami sits at 1-2 with a softer schedule than Philly, including games against the Colts (0-3), Jaguars (0-3), Falcons (1-2) coming up. The Eagles (1-2) own one of the tougher slates in football with a murderer’s row on deck: Chiefs (1-2), Panthers (3-0), Buccaneers (2-1), Raiders (3-0). Watch out.

Eagles Make Minor Roster Moves

The biggest news on Tuesday (Sept. 28) for the Eagles was the loss of Isaac Seumalo. The starting left guard is done for the year with a Lisfranc injury. The team also placed starting safety K’Von Wallace on short-term injured reserve. Neither move eased the pain of that 41-21 loss to Dallas.

greger.JPG.af9cb2426bcfb1c28a0544ece7a4eca7.JPG

Meanwhile, Philadelphia released veteran tight end Richard Rodgers and started the 21-day practice period for tackle/guard Jack Driscoll and cornerback Josiah Scott. Driscoll could be a vital addition considering the injuries along the offensive line. He could slide into a starting spot if Landon Dickerson continues to struggle at right guard. Scott is in line for snaps at nickel cornerback. Nate Herbig is expected to take over for Seumalo.

Hurts Named Brand Ambassador for Eastbay

Hurts remains the face of the Eagles’ franchise heading into Week 4. He is also set to be the face of Eastbay Performance, per the Philadelphia Business Journal.

The new athletic brand will launch on Oct. 4 and features "apparel that can be worn on the field, in the gym or in casual settings for men, women and kids.” Expect to see items like jackets, hoodies, fleece pants, T-shirts, shorts and tights.

greger2.thumb.JPG.457d56a3e2adbb1f305e015061fd84a0.JPG

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/deshaun-watson-green-light/

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

• Updated Sep 28, 2021 at 8:30pm
Deshaun Watson Eagles

Getty:  Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson making a move towards the end zone vs the Philadelphia Eagles.

It’s only been one bad game for Jalen Hurts, but the Deshaun Watson rumors are circling like green-feathered buzzards. The Philadelphia Eagles might want to seek out a trade for a franchise quarterback if things don’t turn around soon.

And Watson remains available. Yes, the baggage is there – 22 civil lawsuits, ongoing investigation, possible suspension – and so is his immense talent. The three-time Pro Bowler doesn’t want to play another down for the Houston Texans and there are two teams vying for his services: Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles. Those talks could heat up with exactly five weeks between now and the NFL trade deadline on Nov. 2.

According to FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer, the Dolphins are the front-runners to land Watson in a trade. Miami was already interested in Watson before starter Tua Tagovailoa fractured his ribs. He was placed on injured reserve and stands to miss at least three weeks. It’s a perfect fit.

But don’t rule out the Eagles from swooping in. Chris Simms and Mike Florio recently debated the chances of Watson landing in Philadelphia on their Pro Football Talk podcast. The conclusion was a resounding yes. In fact, Simms relayed that Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has already "green-lighted” the move.

Remember, the Eagles have three potential first-round picks to dangle out in a deal depending on what happens with Carson Wentz. Here is what Simms had to say:

Philadelphia is in that mix for Deshaun Watson, that’s a real thing from everything that I know. The owner [Jeffrey Lurie] has given them the green light as far as Howie Roseman and company to go ahead and make that deal if it’s right. So, yeah, what you have to worry about a little – one other inkling, another inkling that told me that they are not sold on Jalen Hurts. They didn’t name Jalen Hurts the starter until like eight days before the first game, or nine days before the first game. That says something to me.

And a losing record could expedite the process for both the Dolphins and Eagles. Miami sits at 1-2 with a softer schedule than Philly, including games against the Colts (0-3), Jaguars (0-3), Falcons (1-2) coming up. The Eagles (1-2) own one of the tougher slates in football with a murderer’s row on deck: Chiefs (1-2), Panthers (3-0), Buccaneers (2-1), Raiders (3-0). Watch out.

If the Eagles had their hat in the Watson sweepstakes all along, then the trade down with Miami was a stroke of genius.  Much harder for the Phins to pull of a trade for Watson if they don't have enough ammo, and they don't have a first round pick next year.

2 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

No thanks. He's gonna cost way too much and next years draft we need to start filling gaping holes.

I don't think Houston gets nearly the haul they are looking for.  Kinda reminds me of the situation with the 6ers and what they're asking for Simmons (except Simmons doesn't have the legal baggage).  They are both going to end up getting far less in return than they hoped.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't think Houston gets nearly the haul they are looking for.  Kinda reminds me of the situation with the 6ers and what they're asking for Simmons (except Simmons doesn't have the legal baggage).  They are both going to end up getting far less in return than they hoped.  

Yea apples and oranges. 6ers are overevaluating his worth imo. But I get what you're saying. I'm also guessing if this comes to fruition Hurts is gone?

Baggage?????   Are you f------- kidding me?  UntiI this investigation is complete, he's cleared and any suspension is resolved, then all this trade talk is a waste of time.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Baggage?????   Are you f------- kidding me?  UntiI this investigation is complete, he's cleared and any suspension is resolved, then all this trade talk is a waste of time.

Agreed, any team would be stupid to make a deal for him now.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Agreed, any team would be stupid to make a deal for him now.  

I had a thought about this.  You acquire him for penny's on the dollar at of before the trade deadline, start Minshew, but activate Watson and force the NFL's hand so they have to suspend him.  Then it sorts itself out in the offseason, and he starts Week 1 next year as he has already served his suspension.

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Unless there's a way to package meaningful conditions into the trade consideration which would lower the compensation based on the degree of unavailability - similar to what was done in the Wentz trade.

I don't buy it. Does Chris Simms know Lurie or anyone in the organisation? I tend to find that he just likes to say big bold things because it makes him a character. I don't put a lot of stock in to what he really says though. 

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, this is nonsense.

Utter nonsense at that! I don't buy a word of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Utter nonsense at that! I don't buy a word of it. 

Is "utter nonsense" like nonsense on steroids?  

:P

• Like 1

He has a no trade clause and does not want to be an Eagle. Wants to be a Dolphin and Dolphin owner wants him. That is where he will end up but they should not have traded their 1 next year to us for a wr

• Like 1

I'd like to keep all of the draft capital we've accumulated to start restocking this absolute dumpster fire of a roster that we're currently playing with.

Then I remember that Howie will be making the picks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't care how good he is, he's a huge distraction right now.  Assuming we'd include Jalen in the trade, you'd be trading a guy who maybe isn't a great QB but is well respected (Hurts) for a guy that is a great QB but a garbage person (Watson).  No thanks.  I don't care how great you think he is, I don't want him anywhere near the Eagles.

Also, I'm looking at this writeup:   https://abc13.com/sports/deshaun-watson-and-the-houston-texans-what-we-know-and-whats-next/11059969/

He's not out of the woods.  The FBI is investigating and you can expect Watson to be suspended by the league if (when?) charges are filed.

58 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I don't care how good he is, he's a huge distraction right now.  Assuming we'd include Jalen in the trade, you'd be trading a guy who maybe isn't a great QB but is well respected (Hurts) for a guy that is a great QB but a garbage person (Watson).  No thanks.  I don't care how great you think he is, I don't want him anywhere near the Eagles.

Also, I'm looking at this writeup:   https://abc13.com/sports/deshaun-watson-and-the-houston-texans-what-we-know-and-whats-next/11059969/

He's not out of the woods.  The FBI is investigating and you can expect Watson to be suspended by the league if (when?) charges are filed.

You'd have to think Howie and Lurie are aware of that and would be smart about the situation ... wait it out to see how everything unfolds before making any kind of move if indeed they have interest.  But the two of those guys haven't exactly instilled a lot of confidence that they are capable of playing it smart most of the time, so ... 

5 hours ago, weko said:

He has a no trade clause and does not want to be an Eagle. Wants to be a Dolphin and Dolphin owner wants him. That is where he will end up but they should not have traded their 1 next year to us for a wr

Ok and the Dolphins don’t have a first round pick to trade, because it belongs to the Eagles so their chances are hugely diminished. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Ok and the Dolphins don’t have a first round pick to trade, because it belongs to the Eagles so their chances are hugely diminished. 

Dolphins have the 49ers 1st round picks in both 2022 & 2023 plus a 3rd rounder in 2022 in addition to their others picks.  As mentioned they foolishly traded their 2022 #1 for a wr.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, time2rock said:

Is "utter nonsense" like nonsense on steroids?  

:P

It's udder nonsense

Udder Nonsense | Listen via Hubhopper

• Like 1
  • Haha 1