Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa C/OG) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #25

Godfather

25 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What if Kelce wants to play this season and again for another season after that? Who does Linderbaum replace for the time being? As much as I like the prospect, I'm not sure he really addresses a "need." We already drafted Dickerson with the mindset that he would eventually replace Kelce. We have Seulmalo who can play C/G. We gave Herbig plenty of work at C last season. The coaches still seem to really like Jack Anderson and for some reason began testing Toth at C as well. 

What I'm saying is that the Eagles are already prepared at C If Kelce retires in the future. Drafting Linderbaum if Kelce returns probably forces Linderbaum to sit until Kelce actually retires. 

we think they drafted dickerson with the idea of him playing center but he was good at guard and if he plays well again why switch him? Seumalo is 29 and now has an injury history and only 2 years left on his contract, plus the eagles actually open up a good bit of cap space if they trade him.

linderbaum is really good and a position we value i would rather all defense but wouldn’t be to upset with him.

There is no guarantee that Kelce will be back this upcoming season. I am still under the impression he will be retire or forced to retire.

"Kelce's contract currently runs through the 2022 season, per Over The Cap, paying the four-time Pro Bowler $5.6 million in 2021 and $5.9 million in 2022. But Fowler reported Tuesday that both sides agreed this offseason that if Kelce isn't cut or retired by June 2, 2022, the Eagles will be required to pay Kelce something like $30 million." 

Source - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-jason-kelces-new-eagles-contract-likely-points-to-the-pro-bowler-retiring-after-2021/

12 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

There is no guarantee that Kelce will be back this upcoming season. I am still under the impression he will be retire or forced to retire.

"Kelce's contract currently runs through the 2022 season, per Over The Cap, paying the four-time Pro Bowler $5.6 million in 2021 and $5.9 million in 2022. But Fowler reported Tuesday that both sides agreed this offseason that if Kelce isn't cut or retired by June 2, 2022, the Eagles will be required to pay Kelce something like $30 million." 

Source - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-why-jason-kelces-new-eagles-contract-likely-points-to-the-pro-bowler-retiring-after-2021/

If Kelce wants to play, he’ll play. He’s one dude that will never be "force retired.”

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

What if Kelce wants to play this season and again for another season after that? Who does Linderbaum replace for the time being? As much as I like the prospect, I'm not sure he really addresses a "need." We already drafted Dickerson with the mindset that he would eventually replace Kelce. We have Seulmalo who can play C/G. We gave Herbig plenty of work at C last season. The coaches still seem to really like Jack Anderson and for some reason began testing Toth at C as well. 

What I'm saying is that the Eagles are already prepared at C If Kelce retires in the future. Drafting Linderbaum if Kelce returns probably forces Linderbaum to sit until Kelce actually retires. 

So what. Who says a player has to be a starter from Day 1. Reagor was, how do you feel about him? I’ll take a 12 year career out of Linderbaum, 10 or 11 as a starter and multiple Pro-Bowls. Sign me up for that. 

3 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

So what. Who says a player has to be a starter from Day 1. Reagor was, how do you feel about him? I’ll take a 12 year career out of Linderbaum, 10 or 11 as a starter and multiple Pro-Bowls. Sign me up for that. 

We don't know how Linderbaum's future will play out either. 

I like him as a prospect and all, but if we end up sitting him because Kelce doesn't retire, he doesn't exactly help this team much during that time. Weighing that with our already vast group of potential Centers, I just think we need to see who else is available when we pick. Maybe the guy we choose if it's not Linderbaum still has the same type of career at whatever position he plays, but can also help us from day 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I like him as a prospect and all, but if we end up sitting him because Kelce doesn't retire, he doesn't exactly help this team much during that time. Weighing that with our already vast group of potential Centers, I just think we need to see who else is available when we pick. Maybe the guy we choose if it's not Linderbaum still has the same type of career at whatever position he plays, but can also help us from day 1.

We definitely need to see who else is on the board but I think we were implying that if he is the bpa you select him.

you have to remember that our oline is injury prone. We need as much depth as possible whether Kelce plays or retires. I am a big believer in Drafting BPA so if he is the best player available then you draft him with no hesitation (whether Kelce retires or not)

I’m all for taking him. He would help keep our o-line one of the best in the league. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brkmsn said:

That's hard to argue. Still I don't agree with the idea that this would be a wasted year sitting behind Kelce. Maybe it's not always that great to sit as a rookie but in that case I'd think it helps him quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

That's hard to argue. Still I don't agree with the idea that this would be a wasted year sitting behind Kelce. Maybe it's not always that great to sit as a rookie but in that case I'd think it helps him quite a bit.

no i don’t think it would be wasted at all… also saw a snippet on walter football that said they think he could play guard so who knows maybe he gets a chance there somehow 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

no i don’t think it would be wasted at all… also saw a snippet on walter football that said they think he could play guard so who knows maybe he gets a chance there somehow 

It's not uncommon for a Center to be able to play Guard. The question would be can he step in at G and unseat anybody that is currently penciled in as the starter or even surpass any of the backup Gs? It's been proposed in this thread that we could trade someone like Seumalo (who was playing lights out last year until he got hurt). I just don't see the point of drafting a player at a position we generally don't have a need at, moving him to a position he wasn't drafted to play and then trading away a proven player we had locked up under contract --- when we have much bigger needs on the other side of the ball. 

Of course Kelce's official decision and free agency in general can change the outlook of our immediate needs. Maybe McLeod returns and we make a FA splash with a big CB signing. Then all of a sudden, BPA is very much on the table in the draft. We'll have to wait a bit longer for that to play out, though. For now,  this draft seems to have a very good group of defensive players that should be chosen on day 1. I don't want to fall in love with a player "clone" and potentially get bitten again like we have seen with other "clones" we drafted. Everybody is acting like Linderbaum is Jason Kelce. He is not. 

50 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's not uncommon for a Center to be able to play Guard. The question would be can he step in at G and unseat anybody that is currently penciled in as the starter or even surpass any of the backup Gs? It's been proposed in this thread that we could trade someone like Seumalo (who was playing lights out last year until he got hurt). I just don't see the point of drafting a player at a position we generally don't have a need at, moving him to a position he wasn't drafted to play and then trading away a proven player we had locked up under contract --- when we have much bigger needs on the other side of the ball. 

Of course Kelce's official decision and free agency in general can change the outlook of our immediate needs. Maybe McLeod returns and we make a FA splash with a big CB signing. Then all of a sudden, BPA is very much on the table in the draft. We'll have to wait a bit longer for that to play out, though. For now,  this draft seems to have a very good group of defensive players that should be chosen on day 1. I don't want to fall in love with a player "clone" and potentially get bitten again like we have seen with other "clones" we drafted. Everybody is acting like Linderbaum is Jason Kelce. He is not. 

Seumalo is 29 and only under contract the next two years plus if you trade him after june 1st this year you gain $5 million in cap space. min 5 years from one of the highest rated centers in years could be worth it.

52 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Seumalo is 29 and only under contract the next two years plus if you trade him after june 1st this year you gain $5 million in cap space. min 5 years from one of the highest rated centers in years could be worth it.

There's plenty of room for debate here. One could argue against keeping Seumalo because he's gotten hurt in both of the last 2 seasons and his contract is a much bigger cap hit than a rookie contract. But when he plays, he plays well. While he's here, we don't have a need at G and he can move to C as well. 29 isn't all that old for an OL. It's actually pretty much smack in the middle of their "prime."

With Linderbaum, there are a lot of unknowns. Will he have the toughness of Kelce in the NFL or will he be more like Driscoll? Will he love the city of Philadelphia or will he bolt to Dallas when his rookie contract expires? In a perfect scenario, we draft him and he is "Kelce" for us for  a long successful NFL career. We don't know how it will play out. Right now, I 'd rather have Kelce for a couple more seasons and a better defense. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There's plenty of room for debate here. One could argue against keeping Seumalo because he's gotten hurt in both of the last 2 seasons and his contract is a much bigger cap hit than a rookie contract. But when he plays, he plays well. While he's here, we don't have a need at G and he can move to C as well. 29 isn't all that old for an OL. It's actually pretty much smack in the middle of their "prime."

With Linderbaum, there are a lot of unknowns. Will he have the toughness of Kelce in the NFL or will he be more like Driscoll? Will he love the city of Philadelphia or will he bolt to Dallas when his rookie contract expires? In a perfect scenario, we draft him and he is "Kelce" for us for  a long successful NFL career. We don't know how it will play out. Right now, I 'd rather have Kelce for a couple more seasons and a better defense. 

I subscribe to the Eagles mantra to build inside out on both sides of the ball. And it's probably where we have the best scouting and coaching too, so picks on the lines feel safer than other options. While you don't really know with picks all things aren't equal. I believe the bust potential for Linderbaum is as low as it gets. Now sure, he too can get hurt. Then again to have him learn the system from Kelce and Stout while getting limited experiences on the field seems like an ideal situation to put him in. In my mind: If he even is available this may or may not be bpa, but it is about as safe and useful a pick as it gets.

3 hours ago, Infam said:

I subscribe to the Eagles mantra to build inside out on both sides of the ball. And it's probably where we have the best scouting and coaching too, so picks on the lines feel safer than other options. While you don't really know with picks all things aren't equal. I believe the bust potential for Linderbaum is as low as it gets. Now sure, he too can get hurt. Then again to have him learn the system from Kelce and Stout while getting limited experiences on the field seems like an ideal situation to put him in. In my mind: If he even is available this may or may not be bpa, but it is about as safe and useful a pick as it gets.

We have all appreciated having strong play from both sides on the line over the years, but we have also lamented ignoring positions like LB and CB in years where there was a legitimate need. Sometimes you draft a Kelce or Mailata late in a draft. Sometimes you draft a Dillard or Barnet early. 

Last year we drafted Dickerson to be the guy that sits behind Kelce and learns. The injury to Seumalo opened up a chance for him to play at G. Like I said before, I don't want to fall in love with a player just because he's supposedly a clone of a player we currently have. Kelce is more than just a player. Linderbaum isn't Kelce. He's a terrific C prospect as was Dickerson the year before. 

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We have all appreciated having strong play from both sides on the line over the years, but we have also lamented ignoring positions like LB and CB in years where there was a legitimate need. Sometimes you draft a Kelce or Mailata late in a draft. Sometimes you draft a Dillard or Barnet early. 

Last year we drafted Dickerson to be the guy that sits behind Kelce and learns. The injury to Seumalo opened up a chance for him to play at G. Like I said before, I don't want to fall in love with a player just because he's supposedly a clone of a player we currently have. Kelce is more than just a player. Linderbaum isn't Kelce. He's a terrific C prospect as was Dickerson the year before. 

You still need to replace Kelce eventually. And while we can hope for another HoFer in the sixth round I question that strategy. Linderbaum might be our best chance of passing that torch.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:47 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

Strange, Jurgens, Fortner... let Stout do his thing.

Nailed It GIFs | Tenor

13 hours ago, Infam said:

You still need to replace Kelce eventually. And while we can hope for another HoFer in the sixth round I question that strategy. Linderbaum might be our best chance of passing that torch.

... or Dickerson.

FWIW, Kelce seems to me like he wants to reserve the right to contemplate retirement following each season, but will continue to play even after this upcoming  season because he loves football and his body is still holding up. 

Linderbaum would be a great pick - I most certainly would not be upset if we took him.  But he also may have to sit for a couple of years if Kelce continues to want to play.  Not sure I want that out of a 1st round pick.  Also wouldn't want the pick to force Kelce to feel compelled to retire any earlier than he really wants to.  Lastly, it isn't as though we need to use a high pick on an OL ... with Stout here coaching up these guys, I'm sure we can find quality players on day 2 or day 3.  

Nothing against Linderbaum as a player.  He'd be a nice pickup.  But IMO we can improve the team more by drafting top players at other positions.  (S, CB, LB, DL)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Nothing against Linderbaum as a player.  He'd be a nice pickup.  But IMO we can improve the team more by drafting top players at other positions.  (S, CB, LB, DL)

All of those positions you listed would likely allow immediate impact from players drafted high (Kelce's successor wouldn't see the field for all of 2022 without injury, and maybe even 2023 too).  

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

All of those positions you listed would likely allow immediate impact from players drafted high (Kelce's successor wouldn't see the field for all of 2022 without injury, and maybe even 2023 too).  

Draft bust do exist. Skipping on the BPA is not a smart draft decision if Linderbaum is the BPA at the time. If the BPA is someone from the other positions listed then ok draft that player. My point is position outside of QB in this draft, the eagles need to draft BPA. If not, trade down

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Draft bust do exist. Skipping on the BPA is not a smart draft decision if Linderbaum is the BPA at the time. If the BPA is someone from the other positions listed then ok draft that player. My point is position outside of QB in this draft, the eagles need to draft BPA. If not, trade down

I don't disagree with that - in fact a couple posts up from that one I said he would be a great pick.  That last post was commenting specifically on immediate impact.

• Like 1

I’d rather draft defense and WR in rounds 1&2 this year, after that I’d rather get a guard who can take Seumalo’s or Dickerson’s starting spot and let them slide to center when Kelce decides to retire (hopefully 3-4 years from now).