Gruden is out

Seventy_Yard_FG

13 hours ago, Outlaw said:

*crossing fingers* Please find something on Howie, please find something on Howie

:roll:

I'd say there's no real chance. The Eagles may well be the WOKE-EST Front Office in the NFL. 

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2021 at 9:24 AM, Outlaw said:

*crossing fingers* Please find something on Howie, please find something on Howie

Does raping a organization and fanbase of previous draft picks constitute resignation?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Does raping a organization and fanbase of previous draft picks constitute resignation?

:roll:

• 5 weeks later...

Jon Gruden sues NFL, Roger Goodell over resignation; alleges 'Soviet-style character assassination'

Jon Gruden and the Raiders parted ways in October over the email scandal

Jon Gruden filed a lawsuit against the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell in Nevada district court on Thursday, alleging they leaked private emails to The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal to force him out of a head coaching job with the Las Vegas Raiders.

Gruden is seeking damages on seven different claims as well as punitive damages and lawyer fees.

Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden looks on against the Jacksonville Jaguars during the Raiders final game at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum before relocating to Las Vegas for the 2020 season.

Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden looks on against the Jacksonville Jaguars during the Raiders final game at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum before relocating to Las Vegas for the 2020 season. (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

"Jon Gruden has filed suit against the National Football League and Commissioner Goodell in the Eighth Judicial District Court in Clark County, Nevada. The complaint alleges that the defendants selectively leaked Gruden’s private correspondence to The Wall Street Journal and New York Times in order to harm Gruden’s reputation and force him out of his job," Gruden’s attorney, Adam Hosmer-Henner, said in a statement to Fox News Friday.

"There is no explanation or justification for why Gruden’s emails were the only ones made public out of the 650,000 emails collected in the NFL’s investigation of the Washington Football Team or for why the emails were held for months before being released in the middle of the Raiders’ season."

In a 21-page complaint obtained by Fox News, the NFL and Goodell are alleged to have "sought to destroy the career and reputation" of Gruden through "a malicious and orchestrated campaign."

The complaint drew a contrast to how Gruden’s emails were handled to how the league’s investigation into the Washington Football Team ended. Snyder was fined $10 million, but there was no written report revealed in the probe.

Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden speaks on his headset during the first half of a game against the Chicago Bears, Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021, in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden speaks on his headset during the first half of a game against the Chicago Bears, Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

"In contrast to the formalities of the Washington Football Team investigation, defendants’ treatment of Gruden was a Soviet-style character assassination. There was no warning and no process. Defendants held the emails for months until they were leaked to the national media in the middle of the Raiders’ season in order to cause maximum damage to Gruden," the complaint states.

The NFL responded to the lawsuit Friday.

"The allegations are entirely meritless, and the NFL will vigorously defend against these claims," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

Gruden and the Raiders parted ways last month after a litany of emails were leaked and published in The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Gruden exchanged racist and misogynistic messages with then-Washington team president Bruce Allen while working for ESPN. 

The leaked messages created a firestorm and led to Gruden losing his job with the Raiders.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell looks on before the Las Vegas Raiders play against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium on Oct. 4, 2021, in Inglewood, Calif. 

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell looks on before the Las Vegas Raiders play against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium on Oct. 4, 2021, in Inglewood, Calif.  (Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

It has remained unclear who leaked the emails to the outlets. The NFL and Washington team owner Daniel Snyder have both been accused of leaking the messages, and both have denied doing so.

Gruden apologized for his comments about NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and other remarks he made in the emails with Allen. The complaint also made note of support Gruden received from former NFL stars Randall Cunningham and Tim Brown, who are both Black.

The NFL had been called on by the House Oversight Committee to provide documents pertaining to the investigation for its own probe into how the league handled the Washington scandal but failed to do so by the deadline set by Reps. Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., and Carolyn B. Maloney, D-N.Y.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jon-gruden-sues-nfl-roger-goodell-resignation-raiders

34 minutes ago, Grump99 said:

I hope the NFL is forced to release all the emails.  This should be interesting.

Odds are, all but Gruden's emails have been destroyed. 

As happy as this lawsuit makes me, I think this will go away very quietly.  NFL will offer him a lot of money to go away and retire.

42 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

As happy as this lawsuit makes me, I think this will go away very quietly.  NFL will offer him a lot of money to go away and retire.

I'm not so sure that he wants to retire, though. Not entirely from all NFL related ventures, anyway. He may want to have some ammunition to show when/if he ever tries to get back into broadcasting or maybe coaching in college (I think his NFL coaching days are now done, though you never know). 

If he can show wrongdoing and maybe even force all 650,000 emails to be made public, or even just a portion of them that show even worse offenses by others, then he may be able to convince some network to hire him. Even if just as a studio analyst... not that I think that he'll ever actually get hired by anyone (at least in the foreseeable future). 

On 11/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If he can show wrongdoing and maybe even force all 650,000 emails to be made public, or even just a portion of them that show even worse offenses by others, then he may be able to convince some network to hire him. Even if just as a studio analyst... not that I think that he'll ever actually get hired by anyone (at least in the foreseeable future). 

No way.  He's done.  Forever.  He  is radioactive.  

....unless NewsMax or OANN needs a sports guy.....

7 hours ago, Vee said:

No way.  He's done.  Forever.  He  is radioactive.  

....unless NewsMax or OANN needs a sports guy.....

We thought the same thing about Gregg Williams and Michael Vick though, and they were allowed back into the league. Not that I think they'll do the same for Gruden, but there is a president for it. Especially if he forces other emails to be released and his turn out to be 'tame' in comparison to other emails from 'bigger fish' in the league.

Of course, I haven't really followed this saga very closely so I may be missing something, in terms of what his emails said. Maybe there were some that are much worse than what I know about them. 

If he can never work again (in an NFL capacity), I won't feel TOO sorry for him. He's made million$ off working in and around the NFL. He's set for life even if he never works at anything ever again.  

On 11/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

We thought the same thing about Gregg Williams and Michael Vick though, and they were allowed back into the league. Not that I think they'll do the same for Gruden, but there is a president for it. Especially if he forces other emails to be released and his turn out to be 'tame' in comparison to other emails from 'bigger fish' in the league.

I don't recall Gregg Williams' reason for firing?

As for Vick...while it was bad, he went to jail, served his time, seemed remorseful and happy to take a backup QB position.  If any one of those things don't happen, he probably never comes back.   Ray Lewis' situation is worse, but that gets forgotten.  Then there's Ray Rice....

4 hours ago, Vee said:

I don't recall Gregg Williams' reason for firing?

As for Vick...while it was bad, he went to jail, served his time, seemed remorseful and happy to take a backup QB position.  If any one of those things don't happen, he probably never comes back.   Ray Lewis' situation is worse, but that gets forgotten.  Then there's Ray Rice....

He put the bounties on players for the Saints, the same reason that Payton was suspended. Williams was out of the league for at least a few years but eventually was allowed back in. 

I don't know that Gruden was formally banned from the league or anything like that. He if has skills that are useful in a non-public/low profile way I could see him working in the industry. In a media position no, but I would think there are positions that few people would know he's active. Maybe Jeffrey & Howie can hire him to be one of their next batch of "offensive consultants" like they had last year.:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

He put the bounties on players for the Saints, the same reason that Payton was suspended. Williams was out of the league for at least a few years but eventually was allowed back in. 

He was suspended for the 2012 season then was hired again in 2013... The only time he missed was because of the suspension. 

• 1 month later...

NFL files motion to dismiss Jon Gruden lawsuit, compel arbitration 

Published: Jan 19, 2022 at 10:51 PM

Grant Gordon

NFL.com Digital Content Editor

The NFL on Wednesday filed a motion to dismiss lawsuits filed by Jon Gruden on Nov. 12 against the league and Commissioner Roger Goodell alleging the parties sought to raze Gruden's career with the release of private emails in which the former Raiders head coach used misogynistic, homophobic and racist terms.

Another motion was filed to compel arbitration. Both motions were filed in Clark County (Nev.) District Court.

Gruden's lawsuit alleges that the NFL and Goodell aimed to "destroy the career and reputation of Jon Gruden."

In its motion to dismiss, the NFL states that "the complaint -- a baseless attempt by Jon Gruden to blame the NFL and its Commissioner for the fallout from the publication of racist, misogynistic and homophobic emails that Gruden wrote and broadly circulated -- should be dismissed for failure to state a single viable cause of action."

Within the motion, it is also noted that Gruden does not dispute what was written in the emails, nor allege they were altered. Furthermore it states that "to the extent that Jon Gruden suffered any damage, he has no one to blame but himself" and therefore "the complaint should be dismissed in its entirety."

In the second motion, the league argues that "under the clear terms of Gruden's employment contract and the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws to which Gruden is bound," arbitration is the proper forum for resolution and an order should be issued to stay the action.

In his lawsuit, Gruden is seeking "the recovery of money in excess of $15,000.00" in each of seven causes of action. He stepped down from his position as Raiders head coach following the release of articles in The Wall Street Journal and New York Times that detailed his aforementioned emails reportedly ranging from 2010 to 2018.

On the day in which the lawsuits were filed, the league issued a statement categorizing them as disreputable.

"The allegations are entirely meritless and the NFL will vigorously defend against these claims," NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy said in the Nov. 12 statement.

Wednesday's motions maintain the league's stance that Gruden's claims are without merit.