Eagles Mock Draft 10-15-2021

Ray75

First mock of the year. Just getting my feet wet and getting to know the prospects.

Don’t know what to make of this team, of Sirianni and his coaching staff of Hurts’s one year trial. 

What I do know is that I don’t like the QB class! Bad timing to have possibly 3 first round picks looking for a franchise QB. I don’t see a true upgrade. Bummer!

Maybe they stick with Hurts, maybe they give Minshew a shot, maybe they trade for Wilson or Watson, maybe they sign a cheap vet? Who knows? But to take a QB in this draft? Nah...sweat it out a year and give this team a talent infusion at other positions. 

Luckily the toughest stretch of the season is behind us. Let’s see how Sirianni, Gannon and Hurts will do against lesser competition. I think they’ll win some games down the stretch and wind up with a 7-10 record or something. 

And what about Miami and Indy? Well...still think the Dolphins will give us a top 10 pick. Might not be top 5 but close to it... 

Wentz and the Colts are entering the easier part of the schedule while their rivals in Nashville face the Chiefs and Bills in the upcoming weeks.

Their oktober 31 clash might be for the division lead. I think and hope the Colts will be in race till the bitter end. In this scenario I have CW playing at least 75 % of the snaps but Colts missing the play-offs by a hair.

For the sake of the argument, we receive No.7 from the Dolphins, our own pick will be at 13 and the Colts pick at about 18.

So here goes for just 3 rounds;

7) Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan;

Even if we bring back BG for another year, we have nothing (except for Sweat) at DE. Although I’m a big Leal fan, can’t see them trading Cox anytime soon, Hargrave is playing lights out and we don’t know what we have in Milton Williams. So the Eagles take the best allround pass rusher in the draft not named Thibodeaux.

13) Tyler Linderbaum, OC, Iowa;

Didn’t we just draft Dickerson to be Kelce’s heir?! Well...yes but he’s playing guard now and if he does well there over the course of a season, why pass on the best IOL prospect coming out since Quenton Nelson? Yes, he’s a center only but who cares? He’s elite!

18) Ahmad (Sauce) Gardner, CB, Cincinnati;

Hey look! The Eagles draft a corner in the first! Must be the 20th anniversary since they did something like that. Whether or not they bring back Nelson, Gannon needs young talented longterm answers. I think he’ll like Sauce...

44) Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State;

An Isaiah Simmons-like linebacker with tremendous athleticism at 6-3 ft and 241 lbs is just what Gannon needs. Powerful finisher. Could form a good tandem with Taylor in the near future.

72) Verone McKnley III, S, Oregon;

I do think the Eagles will bring back Harris and/or McCleod but adding a tough,,hard-hitting safety with good athletic ability isn’t a bad idea IMO. Some compare this kid to Budda Baker...

• Like 3

Nice Ray you beat me to the punch. I think pretty much everyone is expecting Hutchinson to this point, but super solid in your picks sir!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slade said:

Nice Ray you beat me to the punch. I think pretty much everyone is expecting Hutchinson to this point, but super solid in your picks sir!

Thx, man!

My biggest fear; they come to the conclusion Hurts is not the guy and trade a bunch of high picks for a QB like Wilson or Watson or use a high pick on either Willis or Corral.

I’d love to see them adding talent for a year or two at other positions before they even think about trading for or drafting the next trigger man.

If they do that, the guy stepping in will already be surrounded by talent and not the other way around.

Like; here are the keys to your new car but ohhh, forgot to mention it; it doesn’t have an engine and wheels. Nope! Do the exact opposite! Give him the fancy sports car he only has to steer...

That’s why Brady picked the Bucs. They already had a Ferrari but just needed a good driver.

• Like 1

I like it. I don't love it but look we are months out from the draft and a lot can change.

We've talked about Leal and Hutchinson. You know I'm big on Leal and he's the better prospect but Hutchinson is the bigger need. And I know you shouldn't draft for need but it isn't like Hutchinson is a bum.

I'm not sure on taking a IOL in the first but I'll never be sure on that. Don't get me wrong a Nelson level guy would be a major boost but I feel we could get a guy in the second or third?

I like the Gardner pick and look we all know CB is a major need long term. It is about time we invested a first round pick on a CB.

Smith is an excellent pick. An athletic powerful LB which is definitely what this team needs. No more getting run over. No more getting pushed around. We need a nasty LB to hit teams in the mouth. 

So look i like this because it is defense heavy and it addresses a lot of needs and gives this defense a major boost. That's got to be the focus.

With the QB situation... Would you consider trading 2022 firsts for 2023?

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like it. I don't love it but look we are months out from the draft and a lot can change.

We've talked about Leal and Hutchinson. You know I'm big on Leal and he's the better prospect but Hutchinson is the bigger need. And I know you shouldn't draft for need but it isn't like Hutchinson is a bum.

I'm not sure on taking a IOL in the first but I'll never be sure on that. Don't get me wrong a Nelson level guy would be a major boost but I feel we could get a guy in the second or third?

I like the Gardner pick and look we all know CB is a major need long term. It is about time we invested a first round pick on a CB.

Smith is an excellent pick. An athletic powerful LB which is definitely what this team needs. No more getting run over. No more getting pushed around. We need a nasty LB to hit teams in the mouth. 

So look i like this because it is defense heavy and it addresses a lot of needs and gives this defense a major boost. That's got to be the focus.

With the QB situation... Would you consider trading 2022 firsts for 2023?

Trading say the 13th overall pick to a QB needy team in the 20’s? Absolutely!

That way you’d have two first rounders in 2023 to get the QB you want. Likely a better class too.

So basically you just like it because I didn’t get Leal and used No.13 on Linderbaum?

You know I’m extremely high on Leal but in our scheme he’d be a DT. Although adding Leal would be awesome, it’s overkill IMO if you can’t get rid of Cox anytime soon, Hargrave keeps it up and Williams pans out at DT. It would be a luxury pick if we ignore a dire need like DE. Plus...might not surprise me if Leal goes top 5.

Linderbaum is too good to pass up at 13. What other position would you like to get addressed there? LB? Not happening! Safety? With Hamilton off the board, there is no safety worth taking in the top 20. CB? Linderbaum over Elam/Booth all day. DT? Value isn’t there. WR? Yep, definitely a good group but a WR for the 3rd year in a row?

You get the point. In an ideal World, Cox gets traded and we end up with Leal, Hutchinson and Gardner agreed.

37 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

So basically you just like it because I didn’t get Leal and used No.13 on Linderbaum?

I just like it because right now we have 11 more games and a lot can, and will, likely change. The draft is months away and at this point I'm not set on any prospects. I don't love any prospects in this next draft other than Leal and Thibodeaux and we aren't going to get him let's be honest. 

And I'm just not big on going IOL in the first. But don't get me wrong I get it, I do get why. 

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

........In an ideal World, Cox gets traded and we end up with Leal, Hutchinson and Gardner agreed.

That would be a fantastic start to rebuilding this pitiful D. Sign me up! 

DO NOT LET ROSEMAN WASTE TOP PICKS ON ANY QBS IN 2022! 

Also loving the idea of addressing LB and Safety with meaningful top 75 picks, instead of the usual Day 3 dross.

I happen to agree with @UK_EaglesFan89 that OL can wait a little. Linderbaum is admittedly a natural Kelce replacement, but the Eagles already have a lot of talented OL pieces, and I'd like to see how that (mainly youthful) jigsaw fits together in 2022. Something like....

LT Mailata or Dillard
LG Seumalo or Dickerson
C Seumalo or Dickerson
RG Driscoll or Herbig or Awosika 
RT Johnson or Mailata

(IMO Kelce and Brooks will be gone at some point during the off-season, and hopefully all is well with Lane by then).

Get a couple more promising OL in R3 onwards, and let them all develop under Stoutland's expert eye.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

I happen to agree with @UK_EaglesFan89 that OL can wait a little. Linderbaum is admittedly a natural Kelce replacement, but the Eagles already have a lot of talented OL pieces, and I'd like to see how that (mainly youthful) jigsaw fits together in 2022. Something like....

I mean I like Driscoll. Maybe I'm a little higher on him than some but I think long term he's a nice piece to have. I'm not saying he's a starter but Stoutland can work with him and I think he's a decent enough player. My point being I get the appeal to a first round IOL but with this OL and with Stoutland here I'm not sure it is necessary. 

But hey I'm also not against the pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Couch Potato said:

That would be a fantastic start to rebuilding this pitiful D. Sign me up! 

DO NOT LET ROSEMAN WASTE TOP PICKS ON ANY QBS IN 2022! 

Also loving the idea of addressing LB and Safety with meaningful top 75 picks, instead of the usual Day 3 dross.

LT Mailata or Dillard
LG Seumalo or Dickerson
C Seumalo or Dickerson
RG Driscoll or Herbig or Awosika 
RT Johnson or Mailata

(IMO Kelce and Brooks will be gone at some point during the off-season, and hopefully all is well with Lane by then).

Get a couple more promising OL in R3 onwards, and let them all develop under Stoutland's expert eye.

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I like Driscoll. Maybe I'm a little higher on him than some but I think long term he's a nice piece to have. I'm not saying he's a starter but Stoutland can work with him and I think he's a decent enough player. My point being I get the appeal to a first round IOL but with this OL and with Stoutland here I'm not sure it is necessary. 

But hey I'm also not against the pick. 

Just getting my feet wet but believe Linderbaum might be BPA in that range. That’s all...

No worries! Lots of different scenarios coming up...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Just getting my feet wet but believe Linderbaum might be BPA in that range. That’s all...

No worries! Lots of different scenarios coming up...

Oh mate I'm sure he will be. Like you say he's a plug and play year one player. He could be a Quintin Nelson type player so he's really really damn good. 

13 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Thx, man!

My biggest fear; they come to the conclusion Hurts is not the guy and trade a bunch of high picks for a QB like Wilson or Watson or use a high pick on either Willis or Corral.

I’d love to see them adding talent for a year or two at other positions before they even think about trading for or drafting the next trigger man.

If they do that, the guy stepping in will already be surrounded by talent and not the other way around.

Like; here are the keys to your new car but ohhh, forgot to mention it; it doesn’t have an engine and wheels. Nope! Do the exact opposite! Give him the fancy sports car he only has to steer...

That’s why Brady picked the Bucs. They already had a Ferrari but just needed a good driver.

Thanks exactly my feeling about the situation too! I'm hoping they build the team up with this draft instead of reaching for a QB or worse trading for one.

• Like 1

This is a lot easier with three 1st round picks.  In any case, the defense is going to need a lot more talent up the middle if the C2 shell is going to hold up. Good news is that I think we don’t need to invest as heavily at CB… boundary types that are smart zone players and good against run might do the trick with help over the top.  That’s what Hamilton does for us, and what I believe Emerson/Lucas are. I don’t have a problem with Leal being a base DE and kicking in on passing downs although I prefer Hutchinson. Davis has an immediate role. Harris (or Dean or NV LB) is a requirement in the middle of the field. I would’ve preferred to get a LEO type, maybe Amare Barno in a trade-up into the 3rd (Anderson being the premium option). 

C758DA5F-D301-409A-85FE-8BFF7FCF1EEE.jpeg

2 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

This is a lot easier with three 1st round picks.  In any case, the defense is going to need a lot more talent up the middle if the C2 shell is going to hold up. Good news is that I think we don’t need to invest as heavily at CB… boundary types that are smart zone players and good against run might do the trick with help over the top.  That’s what Hamilton does for us, and what I believe Emerson/Lucas are. I don’t have a problem with Leal being a base DE and kicking in on passing downs although I prefer Hutchinson. Davis has an immediate role. Harris (or Dean or NV LB) is a requirement in the middle of the field. I would’ve preferred to get a LEO type, maybe Amare Barno in a trade-up into the 3rd (Anderson being the premium option). 

C758DA5F-D301-409A-85FE-8BFF7FCF1EEE.jpeg

I like your thinking but I can’t see the Eagles taking a) a safety that high and b) passing on a DE (most dire need IMO) unless you view Leal as a DE which I think he’s not in our scheme.

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I like your thinking but I can’t see the Eagles taking a) a safety that high and b) passing on a DE (most dire need IMO) unless you view Leal as a DE which I think he’s not in our scheme.

I think Leal has the athleticism to play LDE in a 4 man line, is good fit at the 5T when they go with 3 man line and is very much suited to the 3T in passing situations.  Milton Williams is in the same mold. (Also, Hutchinson/Oregon DE was already gone and I’m not sold on the other ‘1st round’ DEs… although Anderson is interesting in a young Bruce Irvin way).

In terms of Howie’s philosophy, I agree, safeties are typically cheaper to buy and can be drafted later. That being said, C2 heavy teams tend to value them more and draft them in the 1st round (Barron TB, Smith MIN).

• Like 2