Siriani was right to not run much against Tampa

JP HOF

Folks are acting like those runs at the end are what would've happened if they tried them in the first half.  No way.  A running play against that team is almost a lost cause.  I preferred the way the Coach played it.

What I am not thrilled with though is these rumors that Hurts is a ballhog, that he takes pretty much every RP for himself, I hope that isn't true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JP HOF said:

Folks are acting like those runs at the end are what would've happened if they tried them in the first half.  No way.  A running play against that team is almost a lost cause.  I preferred the way the Coach played it.

What I am not thrilled with though is these rumors that Hurts is a ballhog, that he takes pretty much every RP for himself, I hope that isn't true.

So you are okay with just one handoff in the first half, which allows DEs to just pin their ears back and go after the QB without worrying about playing the run?   There's a reason why several NFL players who are now analysts are blasting the playcalling. You still have to call some runs to protect the QB and give the QB more time in the passing game. Also, you can run, but it's how you run. You can use misdirection runs...or run to the outside if you don't want to just run it right at Vea.  The Saints were the best in the NFL against the run I believe (or at least top 5) when the Eagles played them last year and Miles had a huge game.  

Could not disagree more. A balanced offense team will beat out a team that purposely limits itself only to throwing most of the times, if not every time, depending on the individual  player skills. Just watch some of the better teams like Tampa, or Dallas. They never stick to just one style of play, They mix it up.

• Like 3

When you don't even try, why even try the stupid RPO or play action? The opposing team won't bite bc they know it's a passing play. At least if you tried/showed you're still willing to try, the RPO and PA would work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JP HOF said:

This excuse about the RPOs is so weak.  If that is happening then call some running plays that aren't options.  You have two talented young RBs, a young inexperienced offensive line and a young struggling QB.  You need to include running the ball in your game plan.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JP HOF said:

Nobody's run for squat against the Bucs for 2 years now.

Nobody can run on ANY team- IF they DO NOT EVEN TRY. So.

• Like 2

It's called strategy.  It's good strategy to not run much against the team that's been the toughest team in the league to run against.

It is NEVER a good strategy to make yourself one dimensional - that's absurd.  That is doing exactly what an opposing defense is trying to do (you're doing their job for them).  Even if teams aren't running on them you still need to at least present the threat of a running game.  

2 hours ago, JP HOF said:

It's called strategy.  It's good strategy to not run much against the team that's been the toughest team in the league to run against.

What about the teams that were not good against the run and he still didn't run? Is that also good strategy? You would have a point if he didn't use the same strategy against every team the last 3-4 weeks. 

Just now, time2rock said:

It is NEVER a good strategy to make yourself one dimensional - that's absurd.  That is doing exactly what an opposing defense is trying to do (you're doing their job for them).  Even if teams aren't running on them you still need to at least present the threat of a running game.  

Wonder what the strategy was against teams that suck against the run? Because he still didn't run the ball. 

18 hours ago, JP HOF said:

The funny thing is that I pretty much agree with the O-line assessment. Sure bad luck has entered the picture again this year, but our depth is much more prepared this year than last to get us through things. Even with backups playing, we should be able to open holes for the running game against a defense like Tampa has. You don't play-call scared. You just don't. In the late 80s, Gerald Riggs put up about 200 yards in one game against a pretty imposing Eagles run defense, Featuring White, Brown, PItts, Simmons, Joyner, Evans, Hopkins, etc... It was possible because the strength of that redskins team was their offensive line. In our case Thursday, we also had a pretty good runner in Sanders that is capable of breaking a tackle and/or making a guy miss and turning a run into a pretty good gain. 

Don't give me the "no way" crap. 

33 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Wonder what the strategy was against teams that suck against the run? Because he still didn't run the ball. 

As stated above, it is NEVER a good strategy to make yourself one dimensional.  

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

As stated above, it is NEVER a good strategy to make yourself one dimensional.  

Absolutely agree, was just trying to get an answer as to what the excuse was for the other games. Like you said though it's never good either way. 

Part of what made the 2017 Super Bowl team so formidable was the 3-headed RB approach of LeGarrette Blount, Jay Ajayi, and Corey Clement (before he fell off) which also allowed the passing game to flourish. We didn't have a single 1000 yard receiver that year (even Zach Ertz didn't have his 1000 yard season until the following year).

Between Miles Sanders, Kenneth Gainwell, Boston Scott (and Jordan Howard on the practice squad), surely we have enough talent at RB to help the passing game out.

The drafting in general needs to improve overall for sure, but it's not like this offense is completely devoid of talent. We are young at the offensive skill positions and trying to get younger on the OL.

Whether it's the ownership controlling how many run plays are called (the reported story after the big win over the Packers 2 years ago that Lurie was upset we didn't run the ball enough despite the win) or Sirianni being just way too pass happy, someone needs to restore balance in the play-calling.

51 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Absolutely agree, was just trying to get an answer as to what the excuse was for the other games. Like you said though it's never good either way. 

The only "excuse" I can think of is that Sirianni is completely inexperienced as a play caller and is trying to find his way at that while also trying to keep his bosses happy (assuming there is some truth to the reports of Lurie wishing for a high volume passing attack).  

If there is truth to that (and coupled with Howie's inability to draft well), is it any wonder that there was a lack of respectable experienced coaches interested in the spot here the past few HC hiring cycles?  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The only "excuse" I can think of is that Sirianni is completely inexperienced as a play caller and is trying to find his way at that while also trying to keep his bosses happy (assuming there is some truth to the reports of Lurie wishing for a high volume passing attack).  

If there is truth to that (and coupled with Howie's inability to draft well), is it any wonder that there was a lack of respectable experienced coaches interested in the spot here the past few HC hiring cycles?  

Nick is probably miserable AF right now. Trying to figure out your own sheet while listening to what your bosses and the antalyics team is telling you what you have to call. Having absolutely no experienced coordinators to turn to for advice. They set him up to fail big time. 

That doesn't absolve Nick from anything and he hasn't been great but, damn is he in a tough situation. He didn't hire himself though and I doubt they let him pick his coordinators so can't hate on the guy for being horrible with the cards he was dealt with little experience

No, Just because they are #1 against the run up till this point.  Doesn't mean they will be #1 against the run against YOUR Running back.   This idea that you don't try at all is my issue.  If he had tried and it didn't work, I'd give you that.  1 Carry for Miles for a half isn't even trying.   Same thing happen in Carolina with 3 Carries for the half.  We clearly need to be more balance with the running game.

Sirianni abandoning the run game was a straight up surrender to the Bucs.

7 hours ago, JP HOF said:

No that’s called one dimensional 

23 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Sirianni abandoning the run game was a straight up surrender to the Bucs.

You would have to start running the ball to abandoned it

• Haha 1

Not running based on strategy is 1 thing... making that your strategy every...... single..... game is just ridiculous. If a defense knows they NEVER have to protect against the run they can keep their dime package in the entire game. 1 run in a half is not strategy.. it's a brutal brutal mistake. And then to repeat that mistake game... after game... after game... after game... after game.... after game...

Is just.. no wait.. after game... after game... after game... after game...

And then say.. "we need to run more"... and then... DON'T DO IT. It's like being on fire.. then saying.. "i need to stop drop and roll"... but then continuing to run around yelling.. "i need to stop drop and roll more"!!!!!  It becomes an obvious obvious flaw that is borderline inexcusable. 

• Like 1

Flip the argument: you're playing the worst run D but strong pass D.

No team abandons the pass and just runs only, or only sprinkles in a couple passes. They would get roasted for being too one dimensional and not fooling the defense. 

You have to run at least some to keep the defense honest.

And maybe if the D thinks you won't run much,  THAT is strategy to surprise them.