Brian Baldinger says Eagles ‘missed the boat’ with many of their NFL draft picks

KOJO

But Baldinger thinks they went overboard on NextGen stats and other metrics at the expense of production and actual football ability.

That's the reality of it. 

They went overboard on the analytics, but he's citing combine numbers. Justin Jefferson was there, but Raegor was #2 best WR last year...what did he develop a hunchback or something? Can't have it both ways, Baldy. Getting sucked into the moment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, matchew88 said:

They went overboard on the analytics, but he's citing combine numbers. Justin Jefferson was there, but Raegor was #2 best WR last year...what did he develop a hunchback or something? Can't have it both ways, Baldy. Getting sucked into the moment.

Absoutely yeah.

As I have said I am no Howie fan and I'd like to see us move on from him or move him away from the drafting side of things but he does get beaten for whatever move he makes.

I don't give a dam white Baldy says...... As long as hes not on camera and I have to see that pinky finger.:whistle:

What's done is done. Let's hope they got it right.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

What's done is done. Let's hope they got it right.

Agreed because until we start seeing these players out there and we see how they develop over the next couple of years then we can't judge this draft. 

Baldy is a massive Eagles homer, for him to criticize the draft so viscerally is telling. My confidence in Howie's drafting ability is already low, this doesn't help.

"I don’t want to hear this he’s-just-a-slot-guy stuff. Jefferson can play inside or outside. Just go back and look at LSU in 2018 before [offensive coordinator] Joe Brady got there. He was an outside receiver. Led the team in receiving. Averaged more than 16 yards per catch."

By that logic, he wasn't the best receiver on LSU's team this year, Brian. Ja'Marr Chase had 1780 yards and 20 TDs, averaging 21.2 per catch on the OUTSIDE.

"I think Jefferson’s already better than Stefon Diggs.

"Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled." - Dave Chappelle

Davion Taylor - "I don’t understand this pick at all. He has no instincts for the game. That’s why I say it was completely driven by analytics. So he’s fast. So what? 

Completely agree with him there. Kid looked absolutely lost in coverage too. 

Hightower - "I just look at him and say, if he’s playing against Stephon Gilmore, is he really going to catch a ball? There’s just nothing about him that jumps out. I don’t care how fast he is. I didn’t see anything from the guy. I didn’t see great production. I see questionable hands. He’s fast, but I don’t see him running away from people.’’

We're going straight to easily the best CB in the NFL, Baldy? OK. Nothing about him jumps out? He's tall, long and runs fast as hell. You don't care how fast he is? OK. You "didn't see great production"...

Justin Jefferson was a great outside guy last year though? 

Jefferson in 2018 - 54 catches, 875 yards, 6 TDs

Hightower in 2019 - 51 catches, 943 yards, 8 TDs

🥴🙄

Baldinger is all over the place with his logic. I agree with some of his points and certainly was NOT a fan of a few Eagles' picks, but he makes himself look idiotic with this article. 

• Like 1

I'm Brian Baldinger and I can't  understand the new ways of the NFL. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:20 AM, time2rock said:

Without knowing much about the WRs taken later (Hightower, Watkins) so admittedly an uninformed opinion, I do agree with Baldy in that they seemed to be focused solely on adding speed.  I was so hoping they'd add WRs that did not have questionable hands, that had the "game speed" and refined route running abilities to be able to beat press coverage/get off the LOS and be a good vertical threat, that excelled at tracking the ball in the air.  Seems many of the draft analysis reports (for what they are worth, but when the majority say the same, have to figure there is some truth to them) think it is all of those latter traits that are missing from the players we drafted (to include Reagor).  

So you wanted Julio? 

13 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I'm Brian Baldinger and I can't  understand the new ways of the NFL. 

I just don't understand why he went to Negative Town like this. I didn't like every pick either, but after you have a few days to try and understand them, he's being obtuse. Couple that with having an argument that sounds like a temper tantrum and it's not a good look. 

I have nothing positive to say about that Davion Taylor pick. Still don't. I'm not going to spit venom though. I hated the Hurts pick. I will always hate the pick. I can find reasoning in why they did it though. I went into the draft with the idea that they would spend as high as a 3rd rounder on a QB because they're nuts. They went even higher. 

Was Jaelen Reagor who I wanted? No. Funny thing is, I didn't even like him more than Brandon Aiyuk. 

That said, I don't get paid for my opinion and I know to sit down and calm myself before showing my arse like Baldy did here. He left himself wide open to be gouged in retort. 

Of course I don't agree with everything he said, but he did make some good points.  I mean the Day 2 picks were total headscratchers.  The rest of the draft I was okay with, but only time will tell. 

Don't know anything about college ball but I think I saw somewhere that Jefferson is a slot receiver? If that's the case then I'm glad they passed on a slot receiver for the first round

On 4/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, Perforator said:

So is this a true "Howie" draft or is Teflon Howie going to blame someone else if the picks don't work out?

This is a Howie draft. There will still be people making excuses though but to me this is all him. If the picks fail then they'll probably blame Andy and if they succeed then they'll give credit to Howie

Problem is I'm not sure we'll be able to judge them this season

On 4/30/2020 at 1:48 PM, CaliEagle said:

I think Baldinger is partially right. I do think Howie was probably going mostly by analytics because I can see Howie relying mostly on that because he is more of a data type of guy. It's an interesting debate though in terms of size vs. speed, vs. should there be a balance between the two and where the NFL is headed as a League.  I have my questions about Reagor and Quez, in terms of are they just speed, gadget WR or are they going to be well rounded WRs at the NFL level. When I look at Hightower, I see traits that I think could translate.  I' know Reagor had a freshman QB, but good WRs tend to still produce at least to some level with bad WRs. Harold Carmichael is an example of that.  I'm not saying that Reagor is a bust, but I am  concerned about the excuse for drops and the bad QB excuse for such a big stat disparity.  I think Aiyuk is going to be one of the best WRs from this draft. I hope Howie got that right.

Reagor had the worst on target pass rate of the drafted WRs at 35%

Jefferson on target pass rate was in the 80%

The bad qb play isnt an excuse its a fact. Cant catch the ball if the qb cant throw it.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 5:34 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well hang on. In recent years all we have done is seemingly pick based on production. Now we move away from that and there's questions about it?

I was just gonna post the same thing. Spot on.

Plus...

IIRC the Lions did not make a playoff appearance with their sorry a** 3-12-1 record. With or without Galloday.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Madriver said:

I was just gonna post the same thing. Spot on.

Plus...

IIRC the Lions did not make a playoff appearance with their sorry a** 3-12-1 record. With or without Galloday.

Those sad losers in Detroit haven't made a play off game since the 90s though...

😂

On 4/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, CaliEagle said:

I think Baldinger is partially right. I do think Howie was probably going mostly by analytics because I can see Howie relying mostly on that because he is more of a data type of guy. It's an interesting debate though in terms of size vs. speed, vs. should there be a balance between the two and where the NFL is headed as a League.  I have my questions about Reagor and Quez, in terms of are they just speed, gadget WR or are they going to be well rounded WRs at the NFL level. When I look at Hightower, I see traits that I think could translate.  I' know Reagor had a freshman QB, but good WRs tend to still produce at least to some level with bad WRs. Harold Carmichael is an example of that.  I'm not saying that Reagor is a bust, but I am  concerned about the excuse for drops and the bad QB excuse for such a big stat disparity.  I think Aiyuk is going to be one of the best WRs from this draft. I hope Howie got that right.

Yes it was interesting to hear that the Niners had Aiyuk as the #1 receiver in the entire draft.  The kid sure can run after the catch. I hope we don't regret passing on him

Pretty much this article from Brian is exactly how I feel on every one of these selections. 

I will however at least give it the year to see how it pans out.