Are we being too tough on this team too early?

opa-opa

We've played both Superbowl teams, the 49ers, and the Cowboys. We are 2-4.

The only game where we got blown out was the Cowboys game. 

Sure the team has been sloppy, a ton of penalties, a ton of missed throws, no running game, etc...

But despite all that, isn't it a bit too early to judge what this team really is capable of? I mean I know it's not a good team, it's nowhere near the upper echelon. But I don't think it's completely trash team that people are making it out to be.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, opa-opa said:

Sure the team has been sloppy, a ton of penalties, a ton of missed throws, no running game, etc...

But despite all that, isn't it a bit too early to judge what this team really is capable of? I mean I know it's not a good team, it's nowhere near the upper echelon. But I don't think it's completely trash team that people are making it out to be.

Since when is the cowboys a super bowl team? 

• Haha 2

The concern and anger isn’t over who they’re losing to: it’s over the fact that week to week, we’re watching the same, glaring game planning and scheme flaws with absolutely no correction on the field in the following contest.  The criticism is warranted.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We played both the Bucs and the Chiefs.

And people say our schedule is "easy"? What were they looking at?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

We played both the Bucs and the Chiefs.

And people say our schedule is "easy"? What were they looking at?

Oh I got you now. I was confused when you said we played both super bowl teams then mentioned the cowboys lol. 

Well after the first handful of games it gets a lot easier. That's what they are saying we have the easiest schedule down the stretch

1 hour ago, MIRV Griffen said:

The concern and anger isn’t over who they’re losing to: it’s over the fact that week to week, we’re watching the same, glaring game planning and scheme flaws with absolutely no correction on the field in the following contest.  The criticism is warranted.

The OC spoke the other day and finally said the Eagles probably should get the ball to Sanders more. First off if it took these guys this long to realize it you have to question everything about them and you have to wonder if they mean runs or just more screens. It also makes me wonder is it a case that the owner finally let them run the ball more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, EazyEaglez said:

The OC spoke the other day and finally said the Eagles probably should get the ball to Sanders more. First off if it took these guys this long to realize it you have to question everything about them and you have to wonder if they mean runs or just more screens. It also makes me wonder is it a case that the owner finally let them run the ball more. 

Amen on all fronts.  You let a potent running weapon rot while your QB struggles.  You fail to convert in the red zone way too often.  You finally go to the run and see good results way too late for it to matter.  All of it points to issues on the sideline and the tiers above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Makes you think... We were told screens and quick passes were runs going all the way back to Reid.  Now that's all we are getting. Is this what they wanted all along or did antalyics push them further towards it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

Amen on all fronts.  You let a potent running weapon rot while your QB struggles.  You fail to convert in the red zone way too often.  You finally go the run and see good results way too late for it to matter.  All of it points to issues on the sideline and the tiers above.

On top of that the mental mistakes on the field. The constant penalties, guys stepping out of bounds. The touchdowns called back. The quarterback doesn’t seem to be developing at all. The defense is like plain yogurt and can’t stop anyone. I just question everything about this coaching staff. Lurie likes to be the guy who hires the lesser known guys, but this time he might have messed up. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Makes you think... We were told screens and quick passes were runs going all the way back to Reid.  Now that's all we are getting. Is this what they wanted all along or did antalyics push them further towards it

Occasionally these coaches (Doug and Sirianni) let it slip that the analytics guys are basically talking to them in the headsets. I’m not sure that is the norm for all teams, but I personally feel like these guys have way too much power with this team right now. 

• Like 2

There's things to be optimistic about like the young guys but there's Howie and the old players they can't get rid of because of Howie

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I do think you have a point, but keep in mind this is a 4 win football team from last season and they really haven’t added that much to this team. They aren’t a good football team, but the redundant offense, the poor defense, the penalties, the mental mistakes, and the lack of development of many of the young players to go with the insanity of hardly using their running back makes me have a lot of doubts about this coaching staff. Neither the HC or the OC know much about the RPO system, but they keep running it. None of it makes sense. 

52 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Occasionally these coaches (Doug and Sirianni) let it slip that the analytics guys are basically talking to them in the headsets. I’m not sure that is the norm for all teams, but I personally feel like these guys have way too much power with this team right now. 

It's really effing stupid. Yes Lurie is probably the best owner this team ever had.... Just like the super bowl team is the best we ever had... Doesn't give them the right to continue to do whatever

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Every year they are, with their own fanbase

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's really effing stupid. Yes Lurie is probably the best owner this team ever had.... Just like the super bowl team is the best we ever had... Doesn't give them the right to continue to do whatever

Jeff is the owner. He’s going to do what he wants. If he’s going to grill Doug over beating the Packers in Green Bay, because he probably ignored the analytics guys and ran the ball "too much” then it’s clear winning and losing don’t matter. 

I mean look... I don't think it's necessarily been the results it's been the performances on the field.

The defense has been too soft. The offense for the most part has been a mess.

The team are sloppy and ill disciplined. The team make dumb mistakes and the play calling has been pretty shocking.

The results are what they are. We have played some very good teams there's no doubt about that but you also can't ignore how bad they've looked in games.

The Tampa game was not as close as the scoreline suggested. The Panthers capitulated after being in control. The Niners offense was woeful. 

So perhaps a little balance is needed but I think the criticism has been fair and right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody who thought this team was going to be an upper echelon team going into this year was clueless.

We understand that we are in the middle of a complete rebuild, with a first year HC and a first year starter at QB.

I think the frustration stems from the carryover of Lowie, who hold a great deal of responsibility for the failures of the past few years.

It doesn't help that our fears that Siriani was hired as a puppet for Lowie are all but confirmed as the guy clearly was not ready to be a HC.

So I think for most of us, our frustration is not about the now, but about how the chances of this being a successful rebuild seem low with Lowie and Siri at the helm.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

So I think for most of us, our frustration is not about the now, but about how the chances of this being a successful rebuild seem low with Lowie and Siri at the helm.

I agree. It's hard to be optimistic about our future when the foundations for a good team stem from the GM (and owner). We don't currently have that and so it is hard for us to be positive about this teams future right now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He said both Super Bowl teams (KC and TB) AND the 49ers and Cowboys (who are legit this year).  

I completely agree with the OP ... it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too early to be making any kind of judgements on this team.  Going into the season we knew this was going to be a rough year following a complete overhaul of the coaching staff, new (raw) QB, players trying to learn the new schemes being implemented, etc.  We've had a difficult schedule to start the season and have dealt with numerous injuries once again (<_<).  We are also dealing with a rookie HC who is equally raw at play-calling, leading an offense that is predictable and not creative in the least.  Hopefully he realizes changes are needed and makes the appropriate corrections.  Anyway, I think most would have thought 2-4 (at best) at this point when making projections before the season started.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

We would be 4-2 with a good QB. Maybe 5-1

:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

He said both Super Bowl teams (KC and TB) AND the 49ers and Cowboys (who are legit this year).  

I completely agree with the OP ... it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too early to be making any kind of judgements on this team.  Going into the season we knew this was going to be a rough year following a complete overhaul of the coaching staff, new (raw) QB, players trying to learn the new schemes being implemented, etc.  We've had a difficult schedule to start the season and have dealt with numerous injuries once again (<_<).  We are also dealing with a rookie HC who is equally raw at play-calling, leading an offense that is predictable and not creative in the least.  Hopefully he realizes changes are needed and makes the appropriate corrections.  Anyway, I think most would have thought 2-4 (at best) at this point when making projections before the season started.  

Yeah I know I read it wrong and realized what he meant. Cowboys are legit for now.... I'm not judging anything unlike some other knuckle heads on this forum. I'm not as hard on Sirianni ad a lot of fans are either.

Personally I think he has his hands tied between ownership, antalyics and his QB. I feel he is set up to fail.

People keep saying Nick's play calling is terrible and what not but, it's the Offensive coordinators job to come up with the play designs and game plan for that particular game then Nick is the one the calls the plays that were designed for that game.

Despite all of that there is still countless receivers running wide open throughout the game getting missed. 

I'm not as down on Gannon either, he is another one brought in and is given crap players at the position he needs the most for his defense to be successful linebacker and safety . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No. Given that our offensive Coordinator and head coach admit they have no experience calling or running an RPO offense. Pathetic.

14 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Amen I agree with you give them a break its still early .