Gannon/The Defense

ManchesterEagle

For me Gannon is a bigger problem than Siriani.

His scheme (if you can call it that, he says he doesn't have one) really sucks. It basically stops the big play, but makes it easy to run on and to pick apart in the short to intermediate passing game.

Derek Carr is a good not great QB and was without his best weapon, but broke completion percentage records and was never sacked.

Even the commentators yesterday, who were trying to be nice about everybody, basically said that any decent veteran QB could pick apart Gannon's scheme because there was no disguise or variations.

Now I'm not going to pretend that he has a lot to work with. The D-Line, Hargrave apart, has been really disappointing. The linebackers still suck. But he has more than Schwartz had last year. He actually has a legitimate secondary.

But it's so painful watching teams just move the ball with ease against us. 

Like most things with this team. It’s not one thing or another. It’s everything. Coaching and an extreme lack of good young talent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's hard to imagine that this guy was one of the hottest commodities out there last year.  Everyone spoke so highly of him.

• Like 2

31 for 34 says it all.  Goff can hit wide open WRs underneath.  After we lose in Detroit maybe the DC is fired.

It's just painful to watch. It's also not a surprise when the offense can't get going either when we keep allowing other teams to march 90+ yards on us repeatedly and they're just sitting on the sideline. First we have a game where KC never punts for the entire game and then Derek freaking Carr broke a NFL completion record on us.

FACING ELITE QBS: Going into the Cowboys game, eight QBs in history had completed 80 percent of their passes in a game against the Eagles [minimum 20 attempts]. In the last four weeks, three QBs have done it: Patrick Mahomes (80 percent), Dak Prescott (80.8 percent) and Tom Brady [81.0 percent]. Overall, the Eagles are allowing quarterbacks to complete 71.5 percent of their passes. The previous franchise high after six games was 68.8 percent last year. 

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

-Einstein 

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's hard to imagine that this guy was one of the hottest commodities out there last year.  Everyone spoke so highly of him.

Yup. I remember because I rarely watch Colts and so I didn't know about Gannon. Lots of people on here were happy to get him

The Raiders yesterday actually ran 36 consecutive plays, and didn’t see a 3rd down.  The Raiders attacked Davion Taylor with a Full Back, and won, lol.   TBF, no team in the NFL has used a FB since Mike Alstott retired in 2007, before that was 1992. 
 Gannons scheme actually releases opposing RB’s to the Eagles linebackers, in the Wide 9 the linebackers could actually go north in space to make tackles, now they have to fight off blocks from offensive linemen and then make the tackle, which is their weakness obviously, this is just one of many Gannons failures as a Defensive Coordinator. 
 The Eagles still play the most zone defense of any team in the NFL even near and inside the red zone.  If your defense ( linebackers) can’t cover space in zone at the 40 or 50 yard line, WTF makes Gannon think they can do it at the 20 or 15?  
 Go back to the Wide 9 for the rest of the year, and make the coverage shell, Cover 1.  Put the weakest against the run and fastest safety in center field, and you can still put the other DB’s  in cloud press, then to zone, or straight up man.   The remaining linebackers can play zone in the box.  Anything, but what we’re seeing right now, Gannon doesn’t have the linemen or the linebackers to play his version of cover 2.    Our D linemen went from 5 years of driving on I 95 at 2am with no traffic to 5 o’clock rush hour traffic on every play, that’s a huge adjustment for a 30 year old Fletcher Cox who’s nearly 31, with a lot of snaps in his career. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Ike Reece went into this Friday and the thinking is....

It's hard to make 7 completitions  on a drive than it is for 2 and have a big play. 

Which I agree with.

The problem is we have no front 4 pressure to get us off the field. 

I hear that to a degree, but we are also soft against the run, so teams can just easily control the ball against us. 

Definitely some of it is on the D-Line, but the coverage is so soft and vanilla that any half decent QB can exploit it quickly with ease, even if we do get pressure.

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Ike Reece went into this Friday and the thinking is....

It's hard to make 7 completitions  on a drive than it is for 2 and have a big play. 

Which I agree with.

The problem is we have no front 4 pressure to get us off the field. 

Between the CBs playing so soft off the line and our LBs being awful it pretty much gives the opposing team a free for all in the middle of the field. They also never have to worry about us blitzing so the QB is generally pretty content sitting in the pocket unless if the DL is having a good day. Ever since Graham went out that doesn't seem like it's happening and Cox seems extremely unmotivated under Gannon at this point in time. He's pretty much guaranteed to be doubled all the time with no blitzing.

Dear Jim Schwartz:

We are all very sorry for everything we posted the last few years.

Signed,

The entire EMB

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, vikas83 said:

Dear Jim Schwartz:

Signed,

The entire EMB

Woh... slow down!  He sucked too.  He was just a lot less sucky.  But sucky nonetheless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather us be aggressive and get burned for big plays than watch this death by a thousand cuts defense allow 8 minute drives. 

• Like 5

Fletch isn’t buying in anymore.  Basically called him out as well, saying they aren’t aggressive at all, can only run what’s called etc.  clear that he’s not on board with it.  But also disappointed that fletch hasn’t stepped up and gone to talk to him.  Earn that money, be the leader you’re paid to be and go have a chat with coach.  

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Dear Jim Schwartz:

Signed,

The entire EMB

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Gannon and WHAT defense??? There is none.

Schwartz was underrated here. It was probably time for a change but he did a good job with what he had. He basically had a decent D-Line and a bunch of scrubs. And some people on here expected him to produce a top 5 blitzing D. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kz! said:

I'd rather us be aggressive and get burned for big plays than watch this death by a thousand cuts defense allow 8 minute drives. 

1 hour ago, DBW said:

Fletch isn’t buying in anymore.  Basically called him out as well, saying they aren’t aggressive at all, can only run what’s called etc.  clear that he’s not on board with it.  But also disappointed that fletch hasn’t stepped up and gone to talk to him.  Earn that money, be the leader you’re paid to be and go have a chat with coach.  

Yeah agreed. It’s not helping Siri and Hurts have the D just allowing 8 minute drives where they score anyway. 

Cox is probably right but he is also the highest paid player on the team and is doing very little. 

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Dear Jim Schwartz:

Signed,

The entire EMB

Nope. Still think he sucks. 

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz was underrated here. It was probably time for a change but he did a good job with what he had. He basically had a decent D-Line and a bunch of scrubs. And some people on here expected him to produce a top 5 blitzing D. 

His Dline was actually really good. We probably had a top 5 run defense during his time here. Secondary sucked though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Yup. I remember because I rarely watch Colts and so I didn't know about Gannon. Lots of people on here were happy to get him

Those happy to get him were those that couldn’t wait to see Schwartz gone and would have taken anyone over him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

His Dline was actually really good. We probably had a top 5 run defense during his time here. Secondary sucked though

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Those happy to get him were those that couldn’t wait to see Schwartz gone and would have taken anyone over him.  

The last time Schwartz had decent talent on D was the Super Bowl year. We had a top 5 D in yards and points that year. Since then, they've let the serviceable linebackers and secondary leave, which wouldn't be such a big issue if Howie had invested in the D in the draft at all (last 4 years - no first or second rounders and one third rounder used - pathetic)