Gannon/The Defense

ManchesterEagle

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The last time Schwartz had decent talent on D was the Super Bowl year. We had a top 5 D in yards and points that year. Since then, they've let the serviceable linebackers and secondary leave, which wouldn't be such a big issue if Howie had invested in the D in the draft at all (last 4 years - no first or second rounders and one third rounder used - pathetic)

Howie has no clue how to construct a roster with both the short term and long term picture in mind.  

I'm curious how much control Gannon has. Nicks PC made it seem like he interferes with the defense

On 10/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz was underrated here. It was probably time for a change but he did a good job with what he had. He basically had a decent D-Line and a bunch of scrubs. And some people on here expected him to produce a top 5 blitzing D. 

I agree. The defensive coordinators here have consistently outperformed their head coaches... except for Gannon,
who is as bad as Sirianni. They're both unimaginative, simple-minded coaches who don't seem able to recognize
their limitations. 

We may be looking at a 2 win season.   

I'm not sure one is better or worse than the other. At this point both are trash. I guess overall Gannon has probably shown more than Sirianni on the field but that's really not saying much now is it. Gannon is playing too soft, Sirianni seems to have a high school offense. I can't say much good about either one really. 

Just now, JP HOF said:

I never saw a softer defense than our current situation.  We might as well not have any players on the field.

Yeah it is really bad, like really really bad. But hey the offense is just as bad. And I've unfortunately seen more from the defense than the offense overall. And that's a sad reality. 

I want someone to explain to me how Gannon was this super hot commodity that we were just lucky to land.  He really doesn't have any reason why his side of the ball is so bad.  At least, Sirianni has Hurts and a pass happy owner holding him back.

Ugh. Gannon press conference - in a nutshell he said the players are excited about the Sirianni-Gannon scheme and are trying hard to deliver it.
He has no clue that the scheme sucks.

Tragic fail.

• Haha 1

This d is so frustrating to watch. This team in general is frustrating. They have some talent in both sides but it’s all going to waste with this coaching staff. 3rd and 5 and you play 10 yards off the ball? Easy pitch and catch everytime.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:44 AM, The Blackfish said:

The Raiders yesterday actually ran 36 consecutive plays, and didn’t see a 3rd down.  The Raiders attacked Davion Taylor with a Full Back, and won, lol.   TBF, no team in the NFL has used a FB since Mike Alstott retired in 2007, before that was 1992. 
 Gannons scheme actually releases opposing RB’s to the Eagles linebackers, in the Wide 9 the linebackers could actually go north in space to make tackles, now they have to fight off blocks from offensive linemen and then make the tackle, which is their weakness obviously, this is just one of many Gannons failures as a Defensive Coordinator. 
 The Eagles still play the most zone defense of any team in the NFL even near and inside the red zone.  If your defense ( linebackers) can’t cover space in zone at the 40 or 50 yard line, WTF makes Gannon think they can do it at the 20 or 15?  
 Go back to the Wide 9 for the rest of the year, and make the coverage shell, Cover 1.  Put the weakest against the run and fastest safety in center field, and you can still put the other DB’s  in cloud press, then to zone, or straight up man.   The remaining linebackers can play zone in the box.  Anything, but what we’re seeing right now, Gannon doesn’t have the linemen or the linebackers to play his version of cover 2.    Our D linemen went from 5 years of driving on I 95 at 2am with no traffic to 5 o’clock rush hour traffic on every play, that’s a huge adjustment for a 30 year old Fletcher Cox who’s nearly 31, with a lot of snaps in his career. 

Raider's plan was simple. Attack our LBs. I expect more of the same from the other teams.

Also maybe we should acknowledge how much Brandon Graham has meant to this team. 

On 10/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

The last time Schwartz had decent talent on D was the Super Bowl year. We had a top 5 D in yards and points that year. Since then, they've let the serviceable linebackers and secondary leave, which wouldn't be such a big issue if Howie had invested in the D in the draft at all (last 4 years - no first or second rounders and one third rounder used - pathetic)

It's easy to have a top 5 defense when your playing with a 30 point lead most of the time.

4 hours ago, Perforator said:

It's easy to have a top 5 defense when your playing with a 30 point lead most of the time.

And how do you think you get a 30 point lead? It takes good offense and good defense.

There are plenty of good offenses with terrible Ds. Plus the D kept us in the Raiders and Falcons games when Foles was struggling.

54 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

And how do you think you get a 30 point lead? It takes good offense and good defense.

There are plenty of good offenses with terrible Ds. Plus the D kept us in the Raiders and Falcons games when Foles was struggling.

If Julio doesn't choke and drop that easy pass we don't have a SB win

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

If Julio doesn't choke and drop that easy pass we don't have a SB win

😂 OK

On 10/25/2021 at 7:52 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's hard to imagine that this guy was one of the hottest commodities out there last year.  Everyone spoke so highly of him.

Because his TALK was good and he said what GM's wanted to hear, not what he could actually bring to the table.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

On 10/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, Talonblood said:

Because his TALK was good and he said what GM's wanted to hear, not what he could actually bring to the table.

Gannon & his defense stink .

• Thanks 1