Today's win was a "must" win, but it didn't really tell us anything

opa-opa

Yeah so they won. I think Siriani and company knew their jobs were on the line. So they did what they had to do to win.

So what did they do?

Basically relied on the team's known strengths instead of its question marks. 

ie they just kept the ball on the ground as much as they can and not rely on Hurts' arm.

But what did we learn from this game? Nothing really. We know we can beat really bad teams, if we really wanted to and had to, but we already knew that.

So this is what I've been saying all along. Don't expect many more games like this. Today was an aberration. They HAVE to go back to Hurts' arm and throwing 30 times a game, they don't have a choice, or else they can't evaluate him.

Maybe they will lose another 3 or 4 games where we inexplicably stop running the ball and then BOOM we'll have another game like today where they just run run run not-stop so the fans will shut up.

• Like 1

Basically what I'm saying is there are a bunch of possible scenarios:

1. Hurts throws for a ton of yards and TDs, Lurie decides he is the franchise QB.

2. Hurts throws a ton of passes but only results in INTs and losses. Lurie decides he is not the guy.

3. Hurts barely throws the ball and in the end they don't have enough info to evaluate him. Wins and losses are irrelevant at this point. It would be a wasted year as far as the FO is concerned. 

We got the W. Yes it was against a bad team.

Look at the rest of the schedule - its basically just bad teams on there so if we keep beating bad teams, we will actually end up with a decent record. All our tough games were upfront, back end is very very soft.

• Like 1

Look we beat up on a bad team... But to discredit the coaches for doing the things we know this team does well seems a little unfair? I mean most weeks they've not done those things so they do deserve a little credit for doing them yesterday. 

• Like 3

In typical philly fashion.....

"Only in Philadelphia can you experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day"    -Mike Schmidt

The eagles won.....who gives a f--- who they beat?  In a season with so many frustrating moments, it was refreshing to see a running game and the defense play like we all expected in the beginning of the year.

I don't care if it was the lions or the bucs, sometimes a win like this can give the young guys some confidence.

Am I expecting the eagles to go on a winning streak?  No, but up until yesterday we all saw ZERO improvement......now that we saw some good, philly fans want to moan and groan about who the opponent was......so typical.  STFU and enjoy it.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, opa-opa said:

1. Hurts throws for a ton of yards and TDs, Lurie decides he is the franchise QB.

2. Hurts throws a ton of passes but only results in INTs and losses. Lurie decides he is not the guy.

3. Hurts barely throws the ball and in the end they don't have enough info to evaluate him. Wins and losses are irrelevant at this point. It would be a wasted year as far as the FO is concerned. 

Any sensible team has to run a balanced offense, that's true if you've got Joe Montana under center or Jamarcus Russell. Asking Hurts to throw the ball 50 times a game isn't evaluation it's tanking, because even the worst DC can set up a defense to combat a solely passing offense, the Chiefs and the Raiders have worse rush defenses than the Lions it's beyond stupid that we didn't stick with the run more in those games.

So my hope for the rest of the season is that we see an offense that uses a proper balance to keep the defense honest, rather than being 90% one or the other, because that's how you see what a QB can do.

• Like 5

Jordan and Scott are true downhill runners. You can run Sanders between the tackles but it's not his specialty like it is theirs. I knew when Sanders went down and he was forced to use Scott that it would open up things. When they activated Howard, I said if they give that man the ball, it's game on. They need to accept that Sanders is that home run shot out of the back field and these guys are your three down backs.

Now that Hurts isn't having to carry the team by himself, he can be that guy that gets you wins and makes enough plays to win games.

We saw the Minshew era!!

There were a few extra wrinkles in the game plan this week. Not sure if they got outside help or not. The run game helped open up a few things but reverses and flea flickers weren't on the menu before.

• Like 1

I agree with the post-topic premise.  But, I guess one thing we DID learn is that Sirianni and Gannon can adjust their scheme/play calling.  That said, we will need to see these types of strategies and adjustments on a consistent weekly basis.  This week against the Chargers is another opportunity to focus on the run game because the Chargers are weak against it.  However, their offense is much better than the Lions'.  

So, will Gannon remain aggressive?  If the Eagles get down early, will Sirianni abandon the run?  Good things to watch for this week.

• Like 1

Honestly, yesterday's success with the running game just makes me more angry at Srianni, not less. I know we're talking about the Lions, but with a balanced attack we actually look like a pretty good offense. We could have been way more competitive in all of our losses if we had a normal run/pass ratio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

"Only in Philadelphia can you experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day"    -Mike Schmidt

The eagles won.....who gives a f--- who they beat?  In a season with so many frustrating moments, it was refreshing to see a running game and the defense play like we all expected in the beginning of the year.

I don't care if it was the lions or the bucs, sometimes a win like this can give the young guys some confidence.

Am I expecting the eagles to go on a winning streak?  No, but up until yesterday we all saw ZERO improvement......now that we saw some good, philly fans want to moan and groan about who the opponent was......so typical.  STFU and enjoy it.....

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Any sensible team has to run a balanced offense, that's true if you've got Joe Montana under center or Jamarcus Russell. Asking Hurts to throw the ball 50 times a game isn't evaluation it's tanking, because even the worst DC can set up a defense to combat a solely passing offense, the Chiefs and the Raiders have worse rush defenses than the Lions it's beyond stupid that we didn't stick with the run more in those games.

So my hope for the rest of the season is that we see an offense that uses a proper balance to keep the defense honest, rather than being 90% one or the other, because that's how you see what a QB can do.

Detroit are 0-8 but they have played a lot of good teams hard. Blowing them out on the road should not be overlooked.

Hurts had a good game. Yes the D and the running game was why we won, but Hurts looked better than he has in recent weeks and moved the ball with his arm and with his legs when he had to.

Does this show that Hurts is the answer? Absolutely not. We also won’t be able to run all over most teams like that.

But we need to be limiting Hurts to 25-30 throws a week (plus some runs). Keep the balance and stop teams from being able to tee off. 

Good game for everyone- hopefully they build on it.

The goal should always be to win the game. The easiest way to win most games on the offensive side of the ball is balance. The only times you should throw balance out the window is when the other team is unable to stop what is working or when clock management is a factor. 

Obviously, our balance was out of whack yesterday, but it met the conditions stated above. I would have liked to see us take advantage a bit of the lead and running success to try to get Hurts some easier passing opportunities. He still has a long way to go as a passer and there was an opportunity to get him some work. 

On a side note, it was refreshing to see a QB under center when Minshew came in. I'm just tired of everything except QB sneaks being run from the shotgun. 

• Like 1

They beat an 0-7 Detroit team that is WORSE than that record. The Eagles didn't do anything special on Sunday. The things that DID give me hope? It looked like Siri and Gannon were at least willing to admit their garbage hasn't been working, and when they tried something new, it worked. Will they hold onto that? If they want to hold onto their careers, they should. 

5 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

a0qoy7nefww71.jpg

🤣🤣🤣  POST OF THE WEEK NOMINATION 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look we beat up on a bad team... But to discredit the coaches for doing the things we know this team does well seems a little unfair? I mean most weeks they've not done those things so they do deserve a little credit for doing them yesterday. 

They deserve credit for doing what they should have been doing from the start of the season, Got it. Well, at least they appeared to be willing to change, so there's that.

43 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The goal should always be to win the game. The easiest way to win most games on the offensive side of the ball is balance. The only times you should throw balance out the window is when the other team is unable to stop what is working or when clock management is a factor. 

Obviously, our balance was out of whack yesterday, but it met the conditions stated above. I would have liked to see us take advantage a bit of the lead and running success to try to get Hurts some easier passing opportunities. He still has a long way to go as a passer and there was an opportunity to get him some work. 

On a side note, it was refreshing to see a QB under center when Minshew came in. I'm just tired of everything except QB sneaks being run from the shotgun. 

Unless the FO's goal is tanking.

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Jordan and Scott are true downhill runners. You can run Sanders between the tackles but it's not his specialty like it is theirs. I knew when Sanders went down and he was forced to use Scott that it would open up things. When they activated Howard, I said if they give that man the ball, it's game on. They need to accept that Sanders is that home run shot out of the back field and these guys are your three down backs.

Now that Hurts isn't having to carry the team by himself, he can be that guy that gets you wins and makes enough plays to win games.

We saw the Minshew era!!

There were a few extra wrinkles in the game plan this week. Not sure if they got outside help or not. The run game helped open up a few things but reverses and flea flickers weren't on the menu before.

All I have ever seen from Scott.... is that he gains CHUNKS of yards. So the Eagles..... never use him. 

"Run BAAAAD, Pass GOOOOOD."

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vileborg said:

We saw the Minshew era!!

The reverses are a nice addition, when used properly. 

3 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

It was better than being the 1st team to lose to them.

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Part of the problem is Lurie is deciding if hurts is the guy...

17 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

They deserve credit for doing what they should have been doing from the start of the season, Got it. Well, at least they appeared to be willing to change, so there's that.

They deserve some credit for correcting the mistakes that have been made all year. Whether they stick to it now is another matter. 

• Like 1

I am hoping the conversation at the start of the week between Lurie/Roseman and Siriani went like this:

L/R: "Look the season is lost, let's try it your way and run the ball, that should prove who is right and wrong in this case."

More importantly after this week: "Ok you proved us wrong, let's try things your way now."

That is what I am hoping came out of this game more than anything. Not banking on it, the rest of the season should tell us more.

21 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

This should have been the game plan from day one. Run the ball and ease the QB into the position.

Why I’m still concerned the FO and analytics department is dictating way too much to the Coaching staff on how they should play. This game almost felt like a mutiny to everything we have watched over the season to something even beyond what we expected, but because they went so far the other way they dominated. The funny thing is everyone says you can’t win in the NDL today like this, but the Eagles just dominated an NFL team with it and that’s with many people believing this game would be much closer than what we saw or possibly the Lions first win.