Today's win was a "must" win, but it didn't really tell us anything

opa-opa

Did we really know that running the ball was a strength of the team? The only time we ran with any amount of regularity was against the Falcons. It was more like a perceived strength rather than known just because traditional running plays were never called.

Hopefully it enlightens the organization to run the ball more often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Utebird said:

Part of the problem is Lurie is deciding if hurts is the guy...

I don't understand how you determine whether someone is the "guy" or not only by evaluating one equation of the game. Making him pass on every down is not how you determine whether or not you have the right quarterback. Ad if it is how it's done, my novice brain tells me that's wrong

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Why I’m still concerned the FO and analytics department is dictating way too much to the Coaching staff on how they should play. This game almost felt like a mutiny to everything we have watched over the season to something even beyond what we expected, but because they went so far the other way they dominated. The funny thing is everyone says you can’t win in the NDL today like this, but the Eagles just dominated an NFL team with it and that’s with many people believing this game would be much closer than what we saw or possibly the Lions first win. 

Well I do find it interesting that they decided to do this when Sanders is on IR. While correlation is rarely causation both Scott and Howard are one cut and run RBs, where Sanders likes to dance a little bit. Sanders is a much bigger homerun hitter, but he is not one to consistently get you yards on each carry.

I just really hope that they learned a lesson and will continue on this path, especially against the much weaker opponents that are left on the schedule. It will help Hurts psychologically in the long run. The reason why so many young QBs fail is that they get too much pressure at the start of their career, then they make panicked decisions and that ends up becoming the norm. Playing QB is not only skill, but it is all about confidence. Confidence that the WR is going to be in the right position. Confidence to throw the ball to a spot before opens up. Confidence that you can hang in the pocket that extra second to wait for the WR to clear before the pressure is on you. That only goes away with repetition and helping them not feel like that they have to do everything themselves.

Tom Brady only became great because those NE teams ran the ball and he always checked down. As the years went on he became more comfortable and was able to really start slinging the ball all the over the place. If he did not have that run game and the dedication to it in the beginning of his career, he might not be the GOAT.

The Eagles are fatally flawed. They're rebuilding and there's holes. I think we all knew that coming into the season. But they're not the worst team. They're good enough to beat the bad teams they face. But they're not talented enough in all areas to overcome the good teams. Is Hurts good enough? And there's big questions at LB, secondary, and at WR. And the new coaching staff is a question. This is the year to get it all figured out.

It tell us Sirianni still has the locker room and the players want to win and will play hard for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

I don't understand how you determine whether someone is the "guy" or not only by evaluating one equation of the game. Making him pass on every down is not how you determine whether or not you have the right quarterback. Ad if it is how it's done, my novice brain tells me that's wrong

Yup. Football is a team sport and Lowie are putting way too much emphasis on QB, and in doing so are neglecting other areas of the team.

Teams spend so many resources finding " the guy" that theyve shot themselves in the foot when they finally do find " the guy" as they have abad team around him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, proveagle said:

It tell us Sirianni still has the locker room and the players want to win and will play hard for him.

There you go.  Told us that people were playing for their jobs, coaches included.  A good sign that we did not roll over and just play dead.  A lot of people on the board were administering last rites.

11 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Detroit are 0-8 but they have played a lot of good teams hard. Blowing them out on the road should not be overlooked.

Hurts had a good game. Yes the D and the running game was why we won, but Hurts looked better than he has in recent weeks and moved the ball with his arm and with his legs when he had to.

Does this show that Hurts is the answer? Absolutely not. We also won’t be able to run all over most teams like that.

But we need to be limiting Hurts to 25-30 throws a week (plus some runs). Keep the balance and stop teams from being able to tee off. 

Good game for everyone- hopefully they build on it.

Hurts haters will never stop. Trust me. LOL. No matter what,.... he will always be an inaccurate, weak arm, Not a franchise QB to them. All I want him to be this year..is a good game manager, instead of Superstar. And that's for me, exactly what he delivered in Detroit. 

Must win if the coaching staff wanted to keep their jobs. About the only reason it was a must win. I can’t see this team competing for a playoff spot.