Report: “It’s only a matter of time” before the Eagles re-sign Jason Peters

Procus

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/4/30/21243553/eagles-jason-peters-andre-dillard-philadelphia-offensive-tackle-left-bust-first-round-2020-news-lt

Report: "It’s only a matter of time” before the Eagles re-sign Jason Peters

Andre Dillard poised to be a backup again in 2020?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Apr 30, 2020, 7:59pm EDT
Philadelphia Eagles MinicampPhoto by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

It sounds like Jason Peters is going to enter the 2020 NFL season as the Philadelphia Eagles’ starting left tackle.

At least, that’s what NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Derrick Gunn seems to be indicating. Gunn said the following during a recent appearance on Quick Slants:

"Now, the plan was for last year’s first-round pick, Andre Dillard, to take over at left tackle but maybe they’re re-thinking that now. So, could the Birds be bringing back Peters in a backup role?

Well, first of all, if Jason Peters comes back here, he’s not coming back here as a backup. I do know for a fact that Jason Peters wants to be back in Philadelphia, the Eagles want Jason Peters here. It’s only a matter of time before they get something done.

Now, the plan was for Dillard to hopefully be their starting left tackle but he did not progress as quickly as the Eagles had hoped he would. So, you get Peters back here for at least one more year, Dillard is his understudy for one more year, learning under a future Hall of Famer, but by 2021 Andre Dillard had better be ready to protect Carson Wentz’s blindside.”

Further lending credence to this idea is that Lane Johnson recently said he wouldn’t rule out the Eagles re-signing JP.

I wrote about this possibility just earlier this week.

Are we 100% sure that Peters won’t play one more season in Philly?

The Eagles shouldn’t have to re-sign him, to be clear, but they might not be feeling so great about 2019 first-round pick Andre Dillard. A report emerged last week stating that the Eagles "dangled [Dillard] out there as possible trade bait.” In addition, Jimmy Kempski said the Eagles "have major concerns about him presently” after also noting that Dillard had multiple emotional episodes during his rookie season. All of this lines up with a sentiment that I heard in that some within the Eagles’ organization think Dillard is soft.

I also previously wrote how it’ll be pretty disappointing if Andre Dillard isn’t the Eagles’ starting left tackle in 2020.

It’ll be truly concerning if Dillard isn’t ready to be the Eagles’ starting left tackle in 2020. Otherwise, the Eagles will have traded up for a player in the first round who isn’t even at least a true swing tackle by Year 2 since he can’t play on the right side. And it’s not like Dillard’s this extremely raw and undeveloped prospect; he turns 25 in early October. By contrast, the projected first round tackles in this year’s NFL Draft are currently 20 years old. There’s also no real precedent in recent history for a first round offensive tackle to sit on the bench for two entire seasons.

We’ll wait and see if this actually happens or not but Gunn saying that "It’s only a matter of time before they get something done” seems pretty definitive to me.

Screen_Shot_2020_04_30_at_7.55.44_PM.png

Great.  He’s a legend.  May not be as good as he once was but his job now is to get Dillard ready.  And that he will do.  And if he has to play, he’ll do a decent job too.  A man among boys.

If they do, then I think it's a bad sign for Dillard. It means they have their doubts.  Peters probably isn't looking to be the backup. 

So, Dillard's mental toughness for football is comparable to Danny Watkins.  Fantastic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Sign JP as Dillards backup/line mentor. I think he did very well last year at LT for a rookie. Moving him to play RT was the dumbest thing. 

• Like 1

I seriously hope Eagles are not going to Winston Justice    Dillard.  Just leave Dillard at LT and he will be fine.... Please Eagles dont screw this up..

• Like 1

If JP comes back and is the starter then that should be another nail in the coffin of Howie. That will be a part admission of a mistake in drafting Dillard and will show that the team are not confident that Dillard can handle the starters job.

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If JP comes back and is the starter then that should be another nail in the coffin of Howie. That will be a part admission of a mistake in drafting Dillard and will show that the team are not confident that Dillard can handle the starters job.

Come on man, that wasn't a Teflon Howie pick, that was a Douglas pick.

5 minutes ago, Perforator said:

I am sure that will be the spin they put on it to save Howie.

Why in the world would the eagles "have their doubts" about dillard?  And then dangle him in trade talks?   But NOBODY is interested in a 1st round OT?  GTFO

This is media driven horsesh--......

I don't think bringing Peters back is a bad idea, they have 4 very young offensive tackles who need as much coaching and mentoring as possible.  They may even platoon Peters and Dillard to keep Peters snaps down and bring Dillard along slower...

Not a bad idea considering how much Peters has been known to like teaching these guys....

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't think bringing Peters back is a bad idea, they have 4 very young offensive tackles who need as much coaching and mentoring as possible.  They may even platoon Peters and Dillard to keep Peters snaps down and bring Dillard along slower...

If Peters is happy to be a back up? Perhaps even kick inside to give Dillard some experience inside him then sure. I just doubt he'll do that. 

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If Peters is happy to be a back up? Perhaps even kick inside to give Dillard some experience inside him then sure. I just doubt he'll do that. 

Well, Peters options are really limited now......but I wasn't suggesting just being a backup, but platooning with Dillard in some way. 

3 hours ago, Perforator said:

How would any of us know that with any degree of certainty?

Well, that's not a good sign for Dillard.  I heard some in Washington floating the idea of JP to the Redskins.  Lord knows they need the help.  I have no problems with him coming back to Philly for another season.

3 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, Peters options are really limited now......but I wasn't suggesting just being a backup, but platooning with Dillard in some way. 

Don't you want consistency and coherency though? That comes with playing together regularly. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don't you want consistency and coherency though? That comes with playing together regularly. 

True.....but other teams have platooned guards and had success with it. 

Move Peters inside and he has another year or 2

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

How would any of us know that with any degree of certainty?

If reports are true about Dillard. And Howie is still here. That may be answer who picked him.

Dillard is still young.  There's no reason to assume that he has to be ready to start by year two.  And Peters is still very good.  And he's smart.  And he's a great leader for the group.  If the price is right, there's no reason to think that he can't sill play.

I'd be fine if the Eagles were to bring Peters back for this year.  I'd also be fine if they didn't.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Dillard is still young.  There's no reason to assume that he has to be ready to start by year two.  And Peters is still very good.  And he's smart.  And he's a great leader for the group.  If the price is right, there's no reason to think that he can't sill play.

I'd be fine if the Eagles were to bring Peters back for this year.  I'd also be fine if they didn't.

I really don't agree.  Dillard is not that young, Peters is not good.  If they excavate Peters for this season, there's every reason to assume that he'll never be ready to start.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Portyansky said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Sign JP as Dillards backup/line mentor. I think he did very well last year at LT for a rookie. Moving him to play RT was the dumbest thing. 

Peters wants to start. Otherwise he would have just stayed here as a backup for cheaper

If they re-sign Peters then I think it's a huge red flag for Dillard and Howie failed that 1st round pick

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Peters wants to start. Otherwise he would have just stayed here as a backup for cheaper

If they re-sign Peters then I think it's a huge red flag for Dillard and Howie failed that 1st round pick

True but he may now realise he doesn't necessarily have that option...