Report: “It’s only a matter of time” before the Eagles re-sign Jason Peters

Procus

I think people are over-thinking this a bit. As it stands right now, Dillard is slated to start. He still has a lot of learning to do, but that is to be expected with a 2nd year player. We have been grooming a long-term project in Mailata that is still a work in progress and drafted Wanogho that is also a similar project. We lost our most experienced backup (Vaitai) in free agency. We know we have good coaching at the position and there's plenty of reason to be hopeful for the future. Still, bringing back Peters would bolster the roster plain and simple for this year. Should he start? Should Dillard? Let that get proven on the field. Both guys would likely see time on the field. 

We have the cap space to do it and maybe/probably he doesn't play for 16 games.  I'll take 12 games of Jason Peters for 8 mill ish.

If the Eagles bring Peters back...which would most likely be as the starting LT...that is a serious indictment of Dillard.  There would be no positive spin on that.  If Peters ends up starting at LT, that, without a doubt, means Dillard is a bust.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

If the Eagles bring Peters back...which would most likely be as the starting LT...that is a serious indictment of Dillard.  There would be no positive spin on that.  If Peters ends up starting at LT, that, without a doubt, means Dillard is a bust.

So I agree if JP is the starter then it's really not a good sign for Dillard. But if JP is back but as a back up? Or LG? 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I agree if JP is the starter then it's really not a good sign for Dillard. But if JP is back but as a back up? Or LG? 

Having JP back as a backup would be ideal.  But, due to his ego, it's unlikely he would accept being a backup or even being the LG.  IMO, if they bring Peters back, it's going to be as the starting LT...and that would bode very poorly for Dillard's long term outlook.

37 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Having JP back as a backup would be ideal.  But, due to his ego, it's unlikely he would accept being a backup or even being the LG.  IMO, if they bring Peters back, it's going to be as the starting LT...and that would bode very poorly for Dillard's long term outlook.

I don't want JP back.  They spent a 1st rd pick and another later pick to move up to draft Dillard.  They need to give him the opportunity to start ... this year.  If he busts then they know they need to invest in the position next April (or April 2022) to address the long term future of the position.  Bringing back Peters just delays the evaluation process of Dillard.  And obviously Peters is not part of the long term future ... no more band aids.  

42 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't want JP back.  They spent a 1st rd pick and another later pick to move up to draft Dillard.  They need to give him the opportunity to start ... this year.  If he busts then they know they need to invest in the position next April (or April 2022) to address the long term future of the position.  Bringing back Peters just delays the evaluation process of Dillard.  And obviously Peters is not part of the long term future ... no more band aids.  

And if they were truly concerned about Dillard, I’m not sure they would have let JP and Vaitai walk in the first place.

It’s not as if Dillard can have looked bad between the start of free agency and now. Nothing has happened apart from social distancing!

42 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I understand and agree with what you're saying.  But, if JP were to accept being a backup and quasi "coach", that really would be ideal to me.  Unrealistic, but ideal.  That way if Dillard is a complete disaster, we just insert JP and move along.  If Dillard is a disaster and we don't have JP...then, uh...hmmm....Mailata? One of the 2 rookies?  Not ideal then.

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Yeah I mean I doubt it very much too but you never know. The fact he hasn't been signed so far might have given him a slight wake up call.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean I doubt it very much too but you never know. The fact he hasn't been signed so far might have given him a slight wake up call.

He’s probably waiting to sign until closer to the season to avoid all the OTCs and maybe even a good portion of TC (should we have them).  

• Like 1

I'd like to see him come back.  He's a HOF player and it would be great if he finishes his career and retires here. 

2 hours ago, Procus said:

I'd like to see him come back.  He's a HOF player and it would be great if he finishes his career and retires here. 

But at the potential detriment to the team in the long term?

7 hours ago, Procus said:

I'd like him back too ... as an assistant OL coach under Stoutland.  :-)

Well if he comes back it'll be the only way we know if the rumors about the Eagles being unhappy with Dillard are true

4 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

Well if he comes back it'll be the only way we know if the rumors about the Eagles being unhappy with Dillard are true

Or could just be a sign of loyalty to one of the all time greatest Eagles player.  

On 5/7/2020 at 5:22 AM, EaglesAddict said:

I understand and agree with what you're saying.  But, if JP were to accept being a backup and quasi "coach", that really would be ideal to me.  Unrealistic, but ideal.  That way if Dillard is a complete disaster, we just insert JP and move along.  If Dillard is a disaster and we don't have JP...then, uh...hmmm....Mailata? One of the 2 rookies?  Not ideal then.

Sem is our next best LT.  

13 hours ago, weko said:

Sem is our next best LT.  

Still not ideal, lol

On 5/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, time2rock said:

Or could just be a sign of loyalty to one of the all time greatest Eagles player.  

It's a business first and foremost. You don't sign a guy to sign him. If they think he can contribute at the right price, they'll bring him on.

1 hour ago, AngryBird said:

It's a business first and foremost. You don't sign a guy to sign him. If they think he can contribute at the right price, they'll bring him on.

True.  My point was, if they do bring him back it doesn't necessarily mean they are down on Dillard.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

True.  My point was, if they do bring him back it doesn't necessarily mean they are down on Dillard.  

So signing a fat out of shape 38 year old part time player to start at LT over our first round pick doesn't mean they are down on the first round pick?

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

So signing a fat out of shape 38 year old part time player to start at LT over our first round pick doesn't mean they are down on the first round pick?

As I stated earlier if they sign him it could just be out of blind loyalty to one of the franchise’s all time greats.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

As I stated earlier if they sign him it could just be out of blind loyalty to one of the franchise’s all time greats.  

I thought that’s why he started at LT here for the last 2 years.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I thought that’s why he started at LT here for the last 2 years.

Touché

• Like 1