Reagor’s disappointing career reaches new low with crucial drops

time2rock

Reagor’s disappointing career reaches new low with crucial drops

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Eagles just needed one play to erase an otherwise ugly offensive performance and sneak out of MetLife Stadium with a win.

Jalen Reagor failed to make that play.

Twice.

With the Eagles down six points, Jalen Hurts’ last two passes of the game hit off Reagor’s hands and fell incomplete. The Eagles lost 13-7 to the Giants, fell to 5-7 on the season and lost any real momentum they built up over the last month.

"Just two drops that I would say (are) very uncharacteristic,” Reagor said after the loss. "But just got to go through the highs and lows and go on to next week and make the plays.”

The problem is there haven’t been many highs with Reagor since the Eagles took him with the 21st pick in the 2020 NFL draft out of TCU. And there have been plenty of lows.

Sunday was probably the lowest.

Reagor has now played in 23 career games and the production just hasn’t been there. While plenty of receivers from his draft class — you know the names — have thrived in the NFL, Reagor hasn’t. On Sunday, he had 2 catches on 7 targets for 31 yards and from a production standpoint, it was actually one of his better games this season.

In a theme that has held true to his career, Reagor did make a spectacular 21-yard catch in the second quarter. But that’s the way things have gone since the Eagles drafted Reagor. There are brief glimmers of hope surrounded by abjectly disappointing play.

On the penultimate Eagles play on Sunday, Hurts delivered his best ball of the afternoon down the left sideline. Sure, Reagor was probably being interfered with but the ball still hit him in the hands and dropped incomplete. On the last play, Hurts bought time in a scramble drill and threw across the middle to Reagor near the goal line. Again, it hit him in the hands.

But that was fourth down. And the game was over.

"It never comes down to one play,” head coach Nick Sirianni said. "We turned it over four times. There’s a lot of other things at play there. I know he’s going to want that one back. … He’s going to want that one at the end of the game back.”

Sirianni, of course, is right. The Eagles didn’t lose on Sunday just because Reagor failed to make a catch at the end of the game. Hurts was awful for much of the afternoon, Boston Scott had a costly turnover himself and the offense was able to score just seven points.

But Reagor just has to make a play. Sirianni knows it. Reagor knows it. Everyone knows it.

It’s just that it’s hard to muster much confidence that things will get turned around for the 22-year-old receiver.

At least Reagor was accountable on Sunday afternoon. He sat in front of reporters and answered every question, didn’t make excuses and that counts for something. In a COVID world where reporters aren’t free to roam the locker room, he could have hid and he didn’t.

Reagor said he wanted to "take ownership” for his mistakes and that’s commendable.

It just doesn’t really change anything.

"That’s what you do with anything. That’s what you do in life,” Reagor said. "You have bad days, you have good days, you’ve just got to move forward. Because tomorrow’s still gotta to be here, I still have to go practice, I still have to play next week. You can’t too much dwell on it. Just me taking ownership and moving forward.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/jalen-reagors-disappointing-eagles-career-reaches-new-low-after-drops

Reagor had a late 2nd round draft grade.  Only Howie valued him in the 1st round.  One of the keys to drafting well is to get fair value for a pick, not taking a mid to late 2nd round guy in the 1st.  One of the many drafting rules Howie doesn't comprehend.  

• Like 2

At this stage, I think its time to unload Reagor in the offseason.  He may improve slightly, but he'll never live up to his draft slot, especially with JJ picked right behind him.  Better for the team to admit its mistake and cut its losses instead of letting this malignancy linger any further.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Procus said:

At this stage, I think its time to unload Reagor in the offseason.  He may improve slightly, but he'll never live up to his draft slot, especially with JJ picked right behind him.  Better for the team to admit its mistake and cut its losses instead of letting this malignancy linger any further.

At this point I think it's time the coaches have to sit him. Really he should be cut but that isn't going to happen so the coaches need to take him off the field. They are doing him no favours and they are doing the team no favours either. He is hurting the team both on offense and on STs.

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

At this point I think it's time the coaches have to sit him. Really he should be cut but that isn't going to happen so the coaches need to take him off the field. They are doing him no favours and they are doing the team no favours either. He is hurting the team both on offense and on STs.

I can't imagine the FO would allow him to be benched if they have any say in day-to-day football-related decisions.  They shouldn't but we all know better (IF there is any truth to the rumors that circulated over the past few years ... I tend to believe them).  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I can't imagine the FO would allow him to be benched if they have any say in day-to-day football-related decisions.  They shouldn't but we all know better (IF there is any truth to the rumors that circulated over the past few years ... I tend to believe them).  

If wilson or Olave is there in the draft,you can bet Reagor is a BU for us. He's NOT proving to me he can start. Such a damn shame we passed up JJ for this clown(JJ was my choice early on as is Wilson.Olave). I know we need to hit the defense heavy, but one of them would complete the WR corps going forward(aka check off that box)

33 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Agreed.  Howie's ego wouldn't allow a Reagor benching.  i would imagine Howie was responsible for all his targets yesterday.  Just a mess to have the owner, GM & analytics dept designing the game plan and choosing the game day roster.  No wonder everyone passed on the job.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If wilson or Olave is there in the draft,you can bet Reagor is a BU for us. He's NOT proving to me he can start. Such a damn shame we passed up JJ for this clown(JJ was my choice early on as is Wilson.Olave). I know we need to hit the defense heavy, but one of them would complete the WR corps going forward(aka check off that box)

My preference would be to add a vet WR via free agency and use the draft picks on defense (if everything aligned).  My #1 target would be Chris Godwin.  He and Smith would make a perfect tandem.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

My preference would be to add a vet WR via free agency and use the draft picks on defense (if everything aligned).  My #1 target would be Chris Godwin.  He and Smith would make a perfect tandem.  

Oh back to paying insane money for WR's? We worked hard to avoid that and we are almost there. Why would Godwin want to play here??(or anyone else). Going backwards into paying FA's defeats the purpose of a rebuild. Why pay Godwin when you can get Wilson/Olave on rook pay for 5 years? There is ZERO indication Hurts could hit Godwin or anyone else,so why waste the money? if you want to spend money, buy a lineman or CB

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Oh back to paying insane money for WR's? We worked hard to avoid that and we are almost there. Why would Godwin want to play here??(or anyone else). Going backwards into paying FA's defeats the purpose of a rebuild. Why pay Godwin when you can get Wilson/Olave on rook pay for 5 years? There is ZERO indication Hurts could hit Godwin or anyone else,so why waste the money? if you want to spend money, buy a lineman or CB

What's the difference between spending money in FA on a WR or a lineman or CB??  Right now we have veterans at DL and CB (and OL which BTW is playing great).  What we have at WR is a bunch of young relatively inexperienced players ... a vet presence would be huge to that group.  And were not talking about paying an over the hill DJax or on his last leg Jeffery - Godwin is highly productive and only 25 years old.  If Hurts can't hit anyone then they obviously have to find someone who can ... that's a no brainer.  

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Wilson and Olave would be mistakes, the Eagles need to think a big receiver, there are several that can be had in round 3 and later.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Oh no I don't think they would allow that. But that just makes the whole situation even worse really. Howie shouldn't be so involved day to day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh no I don't think they would allow that. But that just makes the whole situation even worse really. Howie shouldn't be so involved day to day. 

At some point football decisions need to be made by who is contributing best on the field of play ... not by what the draft status was of a particular player.  Obviously you need to give players time ... but how much time is enough?  Going on 2 full years of Reagor and still no signs of progressing or taking that next step.  Extremely disappointing and yet another setback with a high pick  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, time2rock said:

At some point football decisions need to be made by who is contributing best on the field of play ... not by what the draft status was of a particular player.  Obviously you need to give players time ... but how much time is enough?  Going on 2 full years of Reagor and still no signs of progressing or taking that next step.  Extremely disappointing and yet another setback with a high pick  

At this point Reagor has shown next to nothing and that's why he shouldn't be on the field in my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

What's the difference between spending money in FA on a WR or a lineman or CB??  Right now we have veterans at DL and CB (and OL which BTW is playing great).  What we have at WR is a bunch of young relatively inexperienced players ... a vet presence would be huge to that group.  And were not talking about paying an over the hill DJax or on his last leg Jeffery - Godwin is highly productive and only 25 years old.  If Hurts can't hit anyone then they obviously have to find someone who can ... that's a no brainer.  

I don't want to spend on any of them,you do. Vet presence,besides Smith name me ONE rookie WR on the roster. So you  have to be a "star" to be a "vet presence" Don't we have coaches for that???. Either you can play or you can't.it doesn't matter if you are a rook or have been around for 8 years. Djax looking good now???? Godwin has the GOAT throwing to him??? All these things matter. You assume Godwin would put up the same numbers with Hurts? HAHAHAHA please. Why would Godwin want to go from a SB contender to a team that is last in their division?

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Wilson and Olave would be mistakes, the Eagles need to think a big receiver, there are several that can be had in round 3 and later.

Getting open is a mistake???? Maybe our guys should try it more often. You only need a big receiver because your QB can't hit the side of a barn and has to "toss one up for grabs". TE's are "big " receivers, don't need a big WR. How come Goedert got no stats yesterday? Hes pretty big!!! Wilson and Olave are excellent route runners RIGHT NOW!! They are "NFL ready". Who cares if they give up 2 inches of height??? This isn't jump ball,it's football. getting open is your JOB and I don't want my QB learning to overthrown every other receiver we have because he likes the tall guy. I want the QB to laser passes to the guys that get open not heave hail mary's(which Hurts is incapable of anyway)

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep I'm ready to move on after his brush off comment as to why he dropped passes. He didn't seem overly concerned about it.I don't want those players on my team. Another Agholor head case. I had JJ all the way as I'm sure we all did. Reagor is a 1 trick pony and he's not even good at that. On top of that we have a QB who can't hit squat over 45 yards, so what's the point of having "speed" If no one can hit him in stride? This team was built for Wentz and now we have to dismantle all that for a noodle arm? This failure is all on Howie and now Siri gives me pause too. It's a pity we have good players being ruined by bad ones and good players under coaches who can't coach diddly

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Sure, so you spend 12 million and he gets hurt and now you are back to the same BS scrambling we had in the past while spending evern MORE money if Reagor or Quez gets hurt, it doesn't cost us nuttin. JJ performed out of the gate.Smith can also(if we had a QB),so why does a vet presence seem important to you? I think Howie learned his lesson on that topic and I'm glad about that. I see no reason to go back to the future

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

If Hurts can't hit anyone then they obviously have to find someone who can ... that's a no brainer.  

If we had a QB who could hit WR's ,once again, you DON'T need a vet presence. Either you can play or you can't. JJ came out game one.other rooks contribute right away also. Smith does, Reagor is a loser and needs replaced or used in rotation with Quez. We all screamed to "get younger" and now you want to back track after we did(or are still in the process of doing) And I doubt seriously Godwin would want to play here for ANY money when he could pick whatever team he wants with a QB already in place

he is absolutely a bust, Howie’s latest. how many more years are we going to suffer through his ineptitude at drafting NFL caliber football players before he gets the boot?

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Getting open is a mistake????

If those guys are wiling to delve into LB territory to get open then I'm all for it, chances are they won't want to trend in those waters, that's big receiver territory, we already have WRs of their stature, what's the need for 3?

The key is diversity, get  210+ strong running WR and let him work the middle of the field, that will open up opportunities for the smaller receivers, you can get one of those receivers without using a 1st on him. 

11 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

If those guys are wiling to delve into LB territory to get open then I'm all for it, chances are they won't want to trend in those waters, that's big receiver territory, we already have WRs of their stature, what's the need for 3?

The key is diversity, get  210+ strong running WR and let him work the middle of the field, that will open up opportunities for the smaller receivers.

We have TE's for that? I'm fine if you want to pick up a late rounder, but see no real pressing need. We just see things different. You would be sad if we had JJ and Smith???? How many yards did Goedert get yesterday? We have him,Stoll and Jackson to do that

31 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

he is absolutely a bust, Howie’s latest. how many more years are we going to suffer through his ineptitude at drafting NFL caliber football players before he gets the boot?

Well his latest is Smith. I keep imagining JJ with Smith lol. Im won't.forget soon watching the Vikes war room erupt when we took Loser. Worse yet was his attitude when interviewed. He wasn't overly concerned about it. I don't want those types on my roster

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I don't want to spend on any of them,you do. Vet presence,besides Smith name me ONE rookie WR on the roster. So you  have to be a "star" to be a "vet presence" Don't we have coaches for that???. Either you can play or you can't.it doesn't matter if you are a rook or have been around for 8 years. Djax looking good now???? Godwin has the GOAT throwing to him??? All these things matter. You assume Godwin would put up the same numbers with Hurts? HAHAHAHA please. Why would Godwin want to go from a SB contender to a team that is last in their division?

I mentioned spending money in FA on a WR ... you stated that was foolish and that you'd prefer to spend money in FA on a vet DL or CB.  

We may only have one "rookie" on the roster but the rest of the DC is littered with players with minimal experience (Reagor, Watkins, JJAW) or have proven to be JAG (Ward).  

I've always liked Godwin, going back to his days with PSU ... that appreciation for what he can do didn't just start last year when they signed Brady.  

And again, I mentioned earlier that if Hurts doesn't develop into a legit passing threat, he will be replaced, so not sure why you keep bringing that up.  

• Like 1